• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Quarar44
    MiceChatter
    • Jan 2012

[Question] Mickey's Halloween Party crowd question

I was planning on buying tickets for the Halloween Party on Friday, Oct. 19. I've never been before and I really wanted to check it out. Can somebody who has been to one on a Friday fairly late in October tell me how the crowds are? I wanted to get down Haunted Mansion Holiday, Ghost Galaxy, Halloween Screams, the Cavalcade, and most of the character meet & greets. Do you think that sounds do-able if I can get there around 4? I'm not really in it for the candy so I think I'll be skipping that. Any tips or suggestions would be appreciated as well! Thanks!
  • JMazz
    Banned User
    • May 2012

Re: Mickey's Halloween Party crowd question

I second this question, and I ask that posters who respond plz elaborate on all Fridays thru the several weeks it is open or even all the days, if one has that knowledge regarding crowds.

My date is Fri Sept 28th (the first day).

OPer, thx for asking a question that I have been meaning to ask! I'd hit you with a poz rep point, but it seems to be non-operational for me in the past day or so!

Comment

• gomezaddams
      MiceChatter
      • Dec 2011

We went a couple of years ago on a Friday in mid October. It was the first year of the party at DL. We found the waits for most of the rides to be quite short. One real problem was getting from one place to another. They closed the front of the castle. The candy lines often clogged the passage ways and other thoroughfares. Fantasyland was in full stroller gridlock. The Meet'n Greets were busy.
      When we went, it was advertised as a limited ticket event. I got the feeling that it was limited to how many tickets they could sell. Be aware that most of the stores & restaurants will be closed. With that being said, the crowd is nicer than your average summer crowd. Some of the costumes are impressive. The fireworks show is nice. The cavalcade didn't impress me, but I'm not that big on parades.
      The halloween party is a good event, given its limitations. Getting around can be a pain. If you stay on one side or the other of the hub, you'll be fine. Getting across the hub is an ordeal. I believe the DLRR is 101 for the event, but my memory may be failing me on that detail. Hope that helps.
      Skiddley Whiffers is a cruel mistress; cold and unforgiving.

Comment

• WatchYourHeadNStep
        Banned User
        • Jul 2005

These same questions get asked year after year. Here are my tips and input!

1. Disneyland is a far better venue for this even than California Adventure because the park is obviously bigger.

2. Take advantage of the 3 hour early entry because you will already be in the park and all you have to do is find a CM that can give you a wrist ID.

3. Expect crowds. Each year this event sells out on specific days (beginning and Halloween night) and the nights in between can sell out and often do. Just keep in mind what you want to do. Ride attractions or collect candy. The more popular rides will have lines but not to the extent as a normal park operating day.

4. Tips for candy....don't immediately get in line at the first 1 or 2 stations at the park entrance. Take your group and head deep into the park (such as Fantasyland or Tomorrowland) and start collecting your candy. As you get closer to closing time head back to the stations and start collecting more candy. CMs are generally dumping candy into your bags because they don't want to have to clean up. The lines will back up at candy stations but the move fairly fast. Innovations is another good place to collect candy because of the multiple stations around the entrance.

Comment

• mickdaddy
          MiceChatter
          • Dec 2009

I went last year on the a mid October friday and the crowds are big but you should be able to do what you want in that amount of time especially if you skip the trick or treat trails. The meet and greets do eat up time though so decide how important they are vs. Rides. It is a great fime and you will easily get great spot for screams and the parade. Well worth it in my opinion.
          BGood! It's not just my motto its my name!

Comment

• monster heck
            MiceChatter
            • Jul 2012

What kind of candy is handed out? I want to know because I like candy Korn and almond roca.

They are delicious candies! Also, What about fun dip?

Comment

• ohmyjustin
              MiceChatter
              • Jan 2012

Originally posted by monster heck View Post
              What kind of candy is handed out? I want to know because I like candy Korn and almond roca.

They are delicious candies! Also, What about fun dip?
              O_O People pass out Almond Roca in your neighborhood?!

Comment

• JMazz
                Banned User
                • May 2012

LOL @ candy corn AND almond roca... two total opposite ends of the spectrum!

Comment

• ravencroft
                  MiceChatter
                  • Jul 2005

You should be able to do what you mentioned in your post.

I went because I thought the crowd would be less. I was disappointed but the candy sort of made up for it. They also have healthy snacks like dried fruit in packages. I enjoyed the healthy snacks as much as the candy.
                  --
                  http://www.bewaterwise.com

Comment

• yoda1138777
                    One More Day
                    • Apr 2012

Thanks to micechat I got to go last year. Without this site I think we would have wasted our experience as people here helped me make the most of it. I pretty much will tell you the best that I got from all the help.

1 know when the fireworks start and get a seat in front of the castle, there's an area they tell you is for VIPs but they will allow you to wait there until it starts. It's where Walt and Mickey are there will be benches piled up. It's also a good place to take a break as we saw the parade at just before.
                    2. Know when to leave and come back in costume this will save you some time and crowds at the gate.
                    3 this goes along with number 2. If part of your plan is to get pics with mickey and Minnie; it will be the longest line. So go there first as everything else will happen all night (candy lines, rides, ect.)
                    4 if you like a lot of candy bring your own bag theirs is too small
                    5 crowds are manageable just know most will go to characters and space mtn first.
                    6 dress up it may be the one time you wish you did
                    7 have fun and a memorable time I can't wait to do it again

My friends

Last edited by yoda1138777; 07-03-2012, 07:38 AM. Reason: post pics
                    sigpic

Comment

• Quarar44
                      MiceChatter
                      • Jan 2012

Thanks for the info guys! I'm guessing that the lines for HMH and SM are around 30-50 mins? What should I expect for the meet & greets? And just to be 100% sure, there is no fastpass right? I'd think no.
                      Last edited by Quarar44; 07-03-2012, 06:54 AM.

Comment

• dougeebear
                        Halloween 2011
                        • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Quarar44 View Post
                        I was planning on buying tickets for the Halloween Party on Friday, Oct. 19. I've never been before and I really wanted to check it out. Can somebody who has been to one on a Friday fairly late in October tell me how the crowds are? I wanted to get down Haunted Mansion Holiday, Ghost Galaxy, Halloween Screams, the Cavalcade, and most of the character meet & greets. Do you think that sounds do-able if I can get there around 4? I'm not really in it for the candy so I think I'll be skipping that. Any tips or suggestions would be appreciated as well! Thanks!
                        I went on a Tuesday, but from reports the Tuesday crowds were bigger than the Friday crowds! Definitely arrive early, but you can't do the villain meet-and-greets until after the Party starts. LOOOOOOOOONG lines for candy (mostly Tootsie Rolls) which was insane in my opinion. They'll fill up your bag at the exit when you leave, so don't bother.

If you're early, catch SoundSational. Then catch one of the two Cavalcades. During the second one, hit the rides. Right after Fireworks, book it over to the Mansion. It easily had the longest line for most of the night, but after Fireworks most parents clear out, making Fantasyland and Mansion easier to walk on. Fast Pass is not operational, so there's only a stand-by line for everything.

Each meet-and-greet is easily a half hour to an hour line. Be prepared. And if there are face characters, expect the line to be a long one: they tend to be really chatty (especially Dr Facilier from Princess & the Frog).

Toontown and Tom Sawyer's Island are closed. Restaurants are open (I ate at Cafe Orleans) as well as shops on Main Street. But it really is a CRUSH of people. Those long candy lines snake through the park and completely disguise attraction lines. Tomorrowland was cut off by two of them, but I snuck around by the Motorboat Cruise area, only to find more lines inside. I had to ask a cast member how to get to Space Mountain cause I feared that's what the lines were for. Nope, tootsie rolls. Space was the longest wait, about an hour.

Comment

• Quarar44
                          MiceChatter
                          • Jan 2012

Originally posted by dougeebear View Post
                          I went on a Tuesday, but from reports the Tuesday crowds were bigger than the Friday crowds! Definitely arrive early, but you can't do the villain meet-and-greets until after the Party starts. LOOOOOOOOONG lines for candy (mostly Tootsie Rolls) which was insane in my opinion. They'll fill up your bag at the exit when you leave, so don't bother.

If you're early, catch SoundSational. Then catch one of the two Cavalcades. During the second one, hit the rides. Right after Fireworks, book it over to the Mansion. It easily had the longest line for most of the night, but after Fireworks most parents clear out, making Fantasyland and Mansion easier to walk on. Fast Pass is not operational, so there's only a stand-by line for everything.

Each meet-and-greet is easily a half hour to an hour line. Be prepared. And if there are face characters, expect the line to be a long one: they tend to be really chatty (especially Dr Facilier from Princess & the Frog).
                          I'm not going to go for the candy. IMO, why wait so long at DISNEYLAND after you paid $50+ to get candy you can get at the supermarket for $3.

I was planning on doing EXACTLY what you suggested. I would guess most families leave after the fireworks.

I'm actually really glad you say the meet & greets are only 30-60 mins. Usually when I'm at Disneyland the Princess Fantasy Faire and Rapunzel are easily over 2 hours. My only priorities concerning attractions are SM, HMH, Halloween Screams, and the parade. I really want to meet Jack Skellington, Wendy, and all the villains though! Thanks so much for the information!

Comment

• StevenW
                            Banned User
                            • Jul 2010

I know you're not into candy, but it is a bad idea to skip it. HINT 1: Bring an extra bag. If you're holding two bags, the CMs will put candy in both bags. No questions asked. It is easy to accumulate full bags after 4 trips. Each station (7 total stations) has 3 candy carts. HINT 2: The candy you don't consume can be handed out on Halloween, saving you tons of money. HINT 3: Ask for healthy snacks. The apple slices, carrot, and raisins are delicious.

Getting there early will give you head start on rides, but the festivities won't happen until well after 7pm. I love the parade. Don't miss it.

Comment

• dougeebear
                              Halloween 2011
                              • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Quarar44 View Post
                              I'm actually really glad you say the meet & greets are only 30-60 mins. Usually when I'm at Disneyland the Princess Fantasy Faire and Rapunzel are easily over 2 hours. My only priorities concerning attractions are SM, HMH, Halloween Screams, and the parade. I really want to meet Jack Skellington, Wendy, and all the villains though! Thanks so much for the information!
                              Jack Skellington and Sally Ragdoll were in New Orleans Square beside the Cafe Orleans. Their line was disguised somewhat because it headed back into NOS toward the bathroom.

Various villains are over at the Small World Mall. I saw Cruella, Queen of Hearts, Dr Facilier, the Evil Queen, and Foulfellow.

Piractical villains, mainly Smee and Hook, were on the Mark Twain dock. I don't recall if Capt Jack Sparrow made an appearance.

Big Thunder Ranch hosted meet and greets with Mickey and Minnie in costume.

...and that's about all I can recall.

Comment

• chris001
                                Elk Grove Chris
                                • May 2010

Went on the Friday before Halloween last year, wasn't too bad. Dl was pretty light in the morning, then was decently crowded from noon to 7. Once the party started the crowds weren't too bad except around the Hub/MS for the fireworks and the parades.

My son and I camped out about an hour before the fireworks, worth it for a bench. Of course there were people camping out before 7 by the castle. We didn't do any character meets, not our thing, but lines looked loooong. We probably got in 2 lines for candy, knew we could load up on the way out (brought an extra backpack-hauled 15 pounds right at the exit).

Many rides were pretty short waits. We did BTMRR 5 times in a row in about 20 minutes, right at 7. As Doug said, HM was long wait most of the night, same with SM, ST. Ton of people left after fireworks, carrying out the little ones. We were spent at 11, I imagine those who stayed until closing had a pretty empty park.
                                They who dream by day are cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night. ~Edgar Allan Poe

Comment

• brian11811
                                  MiceChatter
                                  • Aug 2009

We went The past 2 years Friday mid October. 2 years ago, very light crowds, last year it was packed. I'd say about 25% dress up, but it's great fun to go in costume, others in costume bring great enthusiasm. I think 1/2 the people thought we were CMs. You just can't pose with as a cm. Best fireworks show of all shows is the Halloween show so check it out.

My only complaint. The nightmare before Christmas overlay. switch AFTER Halloween.

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                  Working...
                                  X