Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A Disneyland "Knock-Off"?

Collapse

Ad Widget

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • [Other] A Disneyland "Knock-Off"?

    Has anyone ever seen this before? It blew me away...

    Nara Dreamland

  • #2
    Re: A Disneyland "Knock-Off"?

    Omg! its like an exact replica of DL! That makes me mad! I hope it doesnt detract any visitors for DL. Im surprised that they got away with building this. I'm sure Disney has tried to fight it though.
    A wise girl kisses but doesn't love, listens but doesn't believe, and leaves before she is left.
    -- Marilyn Monroe

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: A Disneyland "Knock-Off"?

      This is BIZARRE! Almost too bizarre to be real. This is fake. Please?
      To All Who Come to this Happy Place.... Welcome! Disneyland is Your Land!

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: A Disneyland "Knock-Off"?

        Originally posted by sleepybear View Post
        This is BIZARRE! Almost too bizarre to be real. This is fake. Please?
        It was a real park, built in 1961 and Disneyland was the inspiration. It has since closed and shut down however.

        More recent photos here.

        Nara Dreamland: Japan’s last abandoned theme park | Michael John Grist

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: A Disneyland "Knock-Off"?

          That is TRIPPY ! Thanks for sharing the evidence of an alternate universe!

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: A Disneyland "Knock-Off"?

            I have never been there, but I remebr a friend showming this a before. I think copyright laws are different there...
            sigpic

            The prospect of the long tram wait at the end of the day...

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: A Disneyland "Knock-Off"?

              I'm so confused.

              Micenation

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: A Disneyland "Knock-Off"?

                Originally posted by Jesser-pie View Post
                I have never been there, but I remebr a friend showming this a before. I think copyright laws are different there...
                There is no copyright (or trademark) in a park layout, nor in genric terms like "Adventureland," nor in basic ride concepts (I.e. a boat ride through a jungle). Japan is a strict country in enforcing copyright and trademark, and it still doesn't matter, since there are no violations. One could open this park in the U.S., and while Disney might win on a claim of trade dress (it would not win a trademark or copyright claim), it's still no guarantee.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: A Disneyland "Knock-Off"?

                  Nara Dreamland
                  For Disney Theme Park Video Click Here!

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: A Disneyland "Knock-Off"?

                    Nara Dreamland in its heyday, 1969

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: A Disneyland "Knock-Off"?

                      Originally posted by MAH4546 View Post
                      There is no copyright (or trademark) in a park layout, nor in genric terms like "Adventureland," nor in basic ride concepts (I.e. a boat ride through a jungle). Japan is a strict country in enforcing copyright and trademark, and it still doesn't matter, since there are no violations. One could open this park in the U.S., and while Disney might win on a claim of trade dress (it would not win a trademark or copyright claim), it's still no guarantee.
                      That's interesting to know...

                      However, I just don't think a company would do that in the US and get "away with it" so to speak... We are not talking mere similarities or painting the bottom of a shoe red... the copying is much more blatant also in the combinations of what is offered...

                      Copyright was a poor word choice on my part. However, your post essentially proves my main point: you won't see this in the US because there is a strong case for Disney. There is no guarantee..are there any in life? (Other than Death and Taxes...lol) I would bet money that Disney would win...it is not a possibility, but a probability.

                      ---------- Post added 07-04-2012 at 05:19 PM ----------

                      Thanks for the video Victor. Interestingly, the park looks much better in black and white...
                      sigpic

                      The prospect of the long tram wait at the end of the day...

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: A Disneyland "Knock-Off"?

                        Wow umm... creepy. It sure does illustrate though that just an idea isn't enough - it takes real ingenuity and talent to make something seem detailed, authentic and to make it come to life. Two different Main Streets, two different castles... but what a difference.
                        ..:: DLR Trips: 1994, 1999, 2012 ::..

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: A Disneyland "Knock-Off"?

                          Originally posted by StormboundSiren View Post
                          Omg! its like an exact replica of DL! That makes me mad! I hope it doesnt detract any visitors for DL. Im surprised that they got away with building this. I'm sure Disney has tried to fight it though.
                          Nara Dreamland was built in 1961 and I don't know if Disney was aware of its existence back then. Even if they were, I'm sure that this was before Disney became the hyper-litigation machine of today. And by the time they built TDL they probably didn't care because in all likelihood that's what put the nail in Nara Dreamland's coffin.

                          I imagine that before TDL Nara Dreamland was a quite a big deal to many in Japan who could only dream of going to DL -- no pun intended.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Re: A Disneyland "Knock-Off"?

                            Originally posted by StormboundSiren View Post
                            Omg! its like an exact replica of DL!
                            I'm sorry but you are wrong,
                            Disneyland is nice......
                            This is not nice

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Re: A Disneyland "Knock-Off"?

                              Originally posted by Victor Brunswick View Post
                              ....I'm sure that this was before Disney became the hyper-litigation machine of today....
                              Sorry, but suing this park wouldn't make Disneyland a "hyper-litigation machine." They would have every right to try to go after it as much as possible; it is actually eating away at their bottom line.
                              It's easy enough to be pleasant
                              when life hums along like a song.
                              But the man worth while
                              is the man who can smile
                              when everything goes dead wrong.

                              Comment

                              Ad Widget

                              Collapse
                              Working...
                              X