Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What needs to be done before they open the third gate?

Collapse

Get Away Today

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Chat] What needs to be done before they open the third gate?

Now that DCA is starting to be a draw of its own the talks of the third gate seem to be heating up. So my question is, what still needs to be done to the resort before they open the third gate? What improvements to DL and DCA should be made prior to opening the third gate? What should be done to Downtown Disney? Hotels? Parking? Transportation? What will it really take to make the third gate become a part of the resort? What existing problems still need to be addressed before a third gate is even started?

Re: What needs to be done before they open the third gate?

Well, for one, parking is already an issue, as we saw with big events like the opening of Cars Land. Granted, those only happen once in awhile, but if they lose the Toy Story lot or any other lots, there could potentially be gigantic issues. They need to fix parking. For sure.
    It's easy enough to be pleasant
    when life hums along like a song.
    But the man worth while
    is the man who can smile
    when everything goes dead wrong.

Comment

Parking on the east side, probably 15,000 new spaces and a way to get the people to both entrance areas from it.

Probably a 5 million guest increase in attendance. 2.5 more at each of the current gates.

More hotels. On the east for the new gates and west for the current gates.
      Be Cool Stay in School!
      Next year I'm trying for a summer internship at Stark Industries.

Comment

Originally posted by swampymarsh View Post
        Parking on the east side, probably 15,000 new spaces and a way to get the people to both entrance areas from it.

Probably a 5 million guest increase in attendance. 2.5 more at each of the current gates.

Don't you mean increase in profit? Because they could easily increase attendance by lowering the price. I think 5 million is a bit steep.

---------- Post added 07-06-2012 at 12:04 AM ----------

No but they need to refurb Indiana Jones before they do a third gate.
        Favorite Ride: Tower of Terror

Comment

maybe tomorrowland, but honestly. if I were in charge of it I would do:

Gardenwalk purchase/revamp - 2013-2014
          Frontierland expansion - 2015 opening
          New Parking structure - 2016 opening
          Hollywoodland facelift - 2017 opening
          DCA version of Great Movie Ride - 2017 opening
          New Hotels (preferably a value resort and moderate resort) - 2020 opening
          3rd gate - 2020 opening
          Some sort of transportation above ground or underground from Esplanade to 3rd gate entrance be it Monorail, People Mover, or tunnel - 2020 opening
          Tomorrowland reboot - 2025 completion (1 or 2 attractions per year over 3 years)

This gives attractions a few years in each park before the next thing. And personally I think Frontierland needs love first, then Hollywoodland (alternation between the parks is key here), then the 3rd gate, parking structure(s), resorts, and gardenwalk, then rounding out with Tomorrowland finishing on the 70th anniversary of DL. Then do some massive plusing to all 3 parks at DLR (and don't share the fun with WDW and the other global parks) for the 75th anniversary in 2030. Also, when DCA hits 25 (in 2026) give it a big 25th anniversary celebration, and give the 3rd gate a 25th anniversary celebration in 2045 (this way each gets their own celebrations as well as a big resort wide celebration for DL birthdays).
          Trips coming up:

May 22-26th
          July 13th-18th
          November 19th-25th

Comment

How do you think they can fit 15,000 parking spaces? I think Al said the plans for Pumbaa were for 6,000. Where do you think they can add another 9,000 or so? The mobile home park east of the third gate site could work, but I don't know if they can get it or already own it.

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle Bob View Post
              How do you think they can fit 15,000 parking spaces? I think Al said the plans for Pumbaa were for 6,000. Where do you think they can add another 9,000 or so? The mobile home park east of the third gate site could work, but I don't know if they can get it or already own it.
              how many are in Mickey and Friends?
              Trips coming up:

May 22-26th
              July 13th-18th
              November 19th-25th

Comment

Originally posted by mickeyfan42 View Post
                maybe tomorrowland, but honestly. if I were in charge of it I would do:

Gardenwalk purchase/revamp - 2013-2014
                Frontierland expansion - 2015 opening
                New Parking structure - 2016 opening
                Hollywoodland facelift - 2017 opening
                DCA version of Great Movie Ride - 2017 opening
                New Hotels (preferably a value resort and moderate resort) - 2020 opening
                3rd gate - 2020 opening
                Some sort of transportation above ground or underground from Esplanade to 3rd gate entrance be it Monorail, People Mover, or tunnel - 2020 opening
                Tomorrowland reboot - 2025 completion (1 or 2 attractions per year over 3 years)

This gives attractions a few years in each park before the next thing. And personally I think Frontierland needs love first, then Hollywoodland (alternation between the parks is key here), then the 3rd gate, parking structure(s), resorts, and gardenwalk, then rounding out with Tomorrowland finishing on the 70th anniversary of DL. Then do some massive plusing to all 3 parks at DLR (and don't share the fun with WDW and the other global parks) for the 75th anniversary in 2030. Also, when DCA hits 25 (in 2026) give it a big 25th anniversary celebration, and give the 3rd gate a 25th anniversary celebration in 2045 (this way each gets their own celebrations as well as a big resort wide celebration for DL birthdays).
                I think what Al was talking about for DL is a better plan. I think they need to get both Tomorrowland and Frontierland updated before they open the third gate. So hopefully they open at least one attraction in each area in 2014, 2015 and 2016. I also think they need the next parking structure asap. They should have that open late next year or early 2014 at the latest imo. I do think 2020 would be a good year for the third gate, but maybe they'll surprise us and open it sooner.

---------- Post added 07-06-2012 at 12:22 AM ----------

Originally posted by mickeyfan42 View Post
                how many are in Mickey and Friends?
                I think its around 10,000.

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle Bob View Post
                  There is Pumba and disney owned property behind Pumba. You could easily fit another M&F sized garage on this for 10,000 spaces. Behind M&F is a likely spot for the expanded parking for DL and DCA. Replace BCML with a garage that could fit upwards of 9,000 spaces it's close to size of M&F with an odd footprint. This would push parking to the edges of the resort, not a likely area for hotels or other profit centers.

Plus there are other possibilities. Maybe Disney is on its way to owning the little garage at Garden Walk? What if they work with the Angels and build a garage on part of the stadiums lot. Lower level could be reserved for game day parking causing no significant loss of spots, and the upper levels more parking for Disney on all days, or to use for displaced CM parking when the BCML and KCML are gone.

Originally posted by Quentin View Post
                  Don't you mean increase in profit? Because they could easily increase attendance by lowering the price. I think 5 million is a bit steep.
                  You don't give away the milk for free. DL attendance can expand without expanding the park. There are lots of days with low attendance that could absorb several million more.
                  Be Cool Stay in School!
                  Next year I'm trying for a summer internship at Stark Industries.

Comment

Parking is definitely the key before anything else. If they redo Tomorrowland or Frontierland they will have the same issue that they did when they opened Cars Land. This will get even worse with a third park. They need to have their support structure in place before trying to tackle a new park.
                    "Greetings, Starfighter! You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Xur and the Ko-Dan Armada."

Comment

I think they should build the pumba 8 story structure for I believe the 6,000 and build one over the Pinocchio lot as well. They could still have the oversize spots and tram storage on the first floor and fit another 7,000-8,000 cars on the other 5 stories. Then Mickey & friends would be a world record holder
                      Im here for fun and info not be a bully! Carsland here I come:yea:

Comment

There is Pumba and disney owned property behind Pumba. You could easily fit another M&F sized garage on this for 10,000 spaces. Behind M&F is a likely spot for the expanded parking for DL and DCA. Replace BCML with a garage that could fit upwards of 9,000 spaces it's close to size of M&F with an odd footprint. This would push parking to the edges of the resort, not a likely area for hotels or other profit centers.

Plus there are other possibilities. Maybe Disney is on its way to owning the little garage at Garden Walk? What if they work with the Angels and build a garage on part of the stadiums lot. Lower level could be reserved for game day parking causing no significant loss of spots, and the upper levels more parking for Disney on all days, or to use for displaced CM parking when the BCML and KCML are gone.

You don't give away the milk for free. DL attendance can expand without expanding the park. There are lots of days with low attendance that could absorb several million more.
                        I'd actually prefer it stay about the same as it is... I purposely go in the off season to avoid the summer, spring break, and christmas crowds
                        Trips coming up:

May 22-26th
                        July 13th-18th
                        November 19th-25th

Comment

I would say definitely expand Frontierland with another attraction, and fix up Tomorrowland. Honestly, right now, Tomorrowland looks like the 90's version of the future, not todays version. If parking is that big of a problem, then fix the parking first, obviously. I think only after they do Frontierland, Tomorrowland, and parking, could they start to get serious about another theme park. Possibly fix Hollywoodland as well.
                          - Walt Disney

Comment

I soooooo want a Mag-Lev from the new central trans-hub (the rumored one on the east side of the Esplanade and where *I* think the new hotel will go) ...I want Disney to be on the cutting edge of this technology in the USA. It would set us apart from every other Disney resort in the world. Make it so that you *must* take this new train to the third gate... A great "gimmick" to draw in even more ppl and to help erase any curse leftover from the opening of DCA 1.0.

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X