X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Question] Cast Member Comparison: WDW vs. DLR

Howdy folks,

I visit DLR numerous times a year and I've been to WDW once. Even though I was just in WDW for a day, it seems to me that DLR cast members are a lot friendlier in the past few years than WDW's cast members have been. Maybe it's because WDW is much larger in comparison, but it seems that they aren't as friendly as they use to be.

What do you all think?
    Disneyland Resort
    64.86%
    Walt Disney World
    10.81%
    Both park cast member's behaviors are equalling the same.
    13.51%
    I'm just picking this option for the fun of it.
    10.81%
    Last edited by Dillamond; 07-07-2012, 02:43 PM. Reason: Please note, in the poll, I meant *equally, not equalling!

Re: Cast Member Comparison: WDW vs. DLR

It has been a while since I went to WDW, but I had a great experience. I have heard this before ( DLR CMs are better overall). Maybe I just had good experience...
    APs
    Burning Cabin
    Splash Mountain
    Star Wars
    Fantasy Faire
    Smoking
    Pirates
    Souvenir Popcorn Buckets, apparently.

Happiness is not letting these things consume you. A close second is seeing it consume others.

Comment

I did the wdw cp in 2006 so I voted wdw. I never find nice cast members at dlr... I read about them here but I never get that experience my self. I think a lot of it has to do with what the "full timers" in wdw called it... Pixie dust. Cp kids come and go so quick we don have
      much time to get frustrated with mgmt and etc.... MaYbe that was then and now not so much but I know my group was filled with pixie dust!

Ps sorry for any weird typing I'm on my iPhone

Comment

Speaking as a current DLR CM, I really should be as biased as humanly possible and yet...I've noticed no real difference. What I have noticed is at WDW, in general, the friendlier cast members are not the locals, but the WDW CPs- especially the International ones. Which makes sense, these are people who have traveled a distance for the experience and are higher educated, rather than someone just in it for the money.
        "If we cut the budget are you going to be the one standing at the exit explaining to guests why the ride they just rode is a piece of crap?" - - John Lasseter

Comment

Disneyland has a much wider range of potential cast members available. The LA area has a much larger population than the Orlando area. Disneyland has a wider range of people to choose from. Thats the reason Disney World has an international programme and Disneyland doesn't. WDW needs to recruit people around the world to fulfil their needs.

So to sum everything up, Disneyland has more to choose from, so in theory, will have 'better' cast members.

Comment

Haven't been to WDW in a while either, but a few fellow DL CMs and myself went on a trip arranged through the Walt Disney Travel Company and I didn't find the WDW CMs overly friendly. They weren't unfriendly, they just were kinda there.
            Maybe I was biased, but I don't think so. We were all Disney "peeps," so I was looking at them as being family, so I had some expectations.
            I just didn't get the feel from them I thought I would.
            That was only for a week's stay though, and it has been a while, so maybe things have changed.
            I will say though that even my friends mentioned they didn't seem to smile as much, etc.
            And that was without me saying something first.
            As for the previous poster saying she has never met a nice CM at DL. That surprises me. I'm an AP now and visit quite frequently and I almost always find them smiling and helpful. If I only went once a year I might be able to say that I was just lucky and caught them on a good day. But the number of times I drop by the park throughout the year, I find them to be mostly very nice. And for those who don't fall under the "mostly" label, it wasn't that they weren't nice, they just weren't as nice as most of the others.
            As a former CM, I look for certain things, and for the most part I see it in DL CMs.
            I will say that I do tend to see more of them standing around in groups talking (which was a no-no when I worked there), especially at GC positions. But for the most part I think they do a good job, and when I approach a group of them, they're friendly.
            Interesting how perceptions can be so different though.

Comment

DLR takes in less college program applicants than WDW, and there are stories that a lot of DCP applicants (In-state) are usually only there to escape and have fun, so I would think DLR has better CMs because most of them are in it for a career. I have never been to WDW though, and I have had my share of rough CMs at DLR. so...

My best guess is that it is roughly the same, stress affects anyone no matter what park.
              .:: ::.

Comment

I mean I've never met anyone RUDE persay.. but I've never ever seen a DLR cast memeber go above and beyond for things like we did during our CP in WDW. Like little things aren't as nice it seems. When I got engaged the town hall girls was like whatever here's your button, have a good night... I was so sad by that... in WDW we HUNTED down things to make someones day a bit more memorable and special.. took extra time to make "down time" fun time too.. I dunno.. I just see a lot of .. keep the people moving attitudes in DLR any more... I'm sure the same attitude has infected WDW though... I'm sure it's more a sign of the times than a park vs park thing.

I HOPE my next trip I see some of the wonderful cast members I hear about on here all the time I know they exist I just never seem to run into them

Comment

After my trip to Orlando last week, I feel that DLR is better than WDW in virtually all aspects, including CMs. I don't think the cast members at WDW are inherently less nice (to say more rude or anything like that would be too strong), but they have to deal with more: the heat, more people/tourists, ever-changing weather...) so they become more subject to stress.

Comment

It's been a few years since I've been to WDW (2006). However, in my recollection, I've never really hada negative experience with a cast member there. Some of my encounters, especially in World Showcase were quite exceptional.

So, I can't really say one is better or worse than the other in terms of cast members.
                    I'm mostly had good experiences in both places.
                    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...oto-heavy.html
                    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ip-report.html
                    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...something.html

No matter where you go, there you are.

Comment

I have never had a bad experience with a Walt Disney World Resort Cast Member and I'm there about every 3 weeks so my vote goes with them. I have however had a few not so pleasant moments with Disneyland Resort Cast. I'm hoping it was just an off moment. I'm not at Disneyland every 3 weeks like I am at Walt Disney World.

Comment

Eh, it's a toss up. Both resorts have good CMs, both resorts have bad and/or indifferent. I've never noticed a huge difference in either, and you could probably ask a hundred different people and get a hundred different answers. It just depends on the CMs that particular person happened to interact with during their trip.

Comment

I visited WDW for the first time in 2011 for 4 days. I had really high expectations for WDW CMs after all the stories I heard about them. However, the CMs I met seemed to be lacking something. It's not that they were necessarily bad CMs; it just seemed as if they were doing the bare minimum. For instance, I was asked where I was from and the conversation ended with my answer -- "Los Angeles". Silence. That was it. And I was only acknowledged once as a 1st time visitor by a photopass CM in AK who saw my family struggling to take a picture in front of the Tree of Life. I really felt in some way unwelcome and just one of the many 1st timers. Yes I'm a frequent guest at DLR and I ought to allow for some benefit of the doubt because of this, but based on my interactions durng my 4-day visit to WDW, I would say DLR has friendlier CMs.

At DLR, I have had more CMs greet me and go out of there way to know me/family and ask us how our day is going. On one occasion, I brought my nephew for his 1st visit to DL and my whole family was greeted frequently as first time guests.

I do believe in fairies. I do. I do.

Comment

Originally posted by CSei2011 View Post
                            I did the wdw cp in 2006 so I voted wdw. I never find nice cast members at dlr... I read about them here but I never get that experience my self. I think a lot of it has to do with what the "full timers" in wdw called it... Pixie dust. Cp kids come and go so quick we don have
                            much time to get frustrated with mgmt and etc.... MaYbe that was then and now not so much but I know my group was filled with pixie dust!

Ps sorry for any weird typing I'm on my iPhone
                            I did the WDWCP the same year, where were you positioned? Everyone that I worked with were all friendly and most were positive about their role.

Comment

I found the restaurant staff to be much better in WDW... once you told them you were NOT on the Disney Dining Plan. Then they practically fawned over you (OMG chance for an actual TIP!)! LOL

I agree that the international CMs in Epcot were very friendly compared to the "locals" elsewhere at WDW.

I've never had a problem with DL's CMs (except the one waiter who continually flirts with me... no names!), but I've found that some of the twenty-something DCA CMs prefer to talk amongst themselves instead of actually pay attention to park guests.

Comment

I think they are equalyl both good. DL gets the edge because I meet many CMs there who have been CMs a long time and they are great examples of what all CMs should strive to be.
                                Be Cool Stay in School!
                                Next year I'm trying for a summer internship at Stark Industries.

Comment

Originally posted by mondo View Post
                                  I did the WDWCP the same year, where were you positioned? Everyone that I worked with were all friendly and most were positive about their role.
                                  Studios merchantainer Spring 2006. And you?

Comment

Boardwalk Resort quick service foods, Spring '06

Comment

Having frequented by WDW and DL many times each, I don't know if there's any major differences.

Originally posted by second blue teacup View Post
                                      I've never had a problem with DL's CMs (except the one waiter who continually flirts with me... no names!), but I've found that some of the twenty-something DCA CMs prefer to talk amongst themselves instead of actually pay attention to park guests.
                                      I do see this from time to time, something I don't recall as much of at WDW. It's not really a "bad" thing, but there are definitely a few CMs here and there who seem slightly guest-phobic, rather than trying to be part of a fun day for the guests.

Comment

Originally posted by Jesser-pie View Post
                                        It has been a while since I went to WDW, but I had a great experience. I have heard this before ( DLR CMs are better overall). Maybe I just had good experience...
                                        Same here. Every CM at WDW that I dealt with was really great.
                                        The Original Teen Scene of MiceChat:
                                        fangalicious44 padgerfan monorailorange33 SS77 A113 animekiti4christ DapperJoshua Performerinwaiting MainStreetJake dmtnt55 MikeSkellington
                                        JungleCruiseFan Ckelef1 Incrediboy The Disneylander GummiBearsRock iskategoofy *disneyprincess* stevo505 Dragonfire Colorized DisneyLove littleactressann Kritter

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                        Working...
                                        X