Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does Disneyland still sell the giant wall maps of the park? Souvenir guides?

Collapse

Get Away Today

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Does Disneyland still sell the giant wall maps of the park? Souvenir guides?

ok, my mom's map must be a little bit older as it doesn't have the parade or America Sings, but it lists Space Mt (and looks the same as your map) as a future attraction
    Trips coming up:

May 22-26th
    July 13th-18th
    November 19th-25th

Comment

Re: Does Disneyland still sell the giant wall maps of the park? Souvenir guides?

History of the wall maps is at:

Disneyland Maps

A few high-resolution scans are at:

Vintage Disneyland Tickets: Disneyland Wall Map 1964 and a Bonus
      and
      Vintage Disneyland Tickets: Bonus Weekend - Part 1

Comment

I bought that giant DCA 1.0 map at last year's D23 Expo. They had lots of goodies from DCA opening year, of course the park looks nothing like that anymore so it's cool to have that kind of collectible.

If you're looking for old Disneyland wall maps i'm sure you would be able to find some at the expo next year, lots of booths that sell this kind of stuff!
        - Adventure Is Waiting -

"We're going to take you out of this world of reality for a visit to the most fantastic of all the worlds of fantasy." - Walt Disney

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Weaver View Post
          Ooooo. I love these types of sites... there are simply not enough hrs in the day to read all these great pages, but I will add another since it has a GREAT map and brochure section. DaveLandWeb.com/disneyland (you WILL burn a few hrs reading about some things you never knew... you have been warned!!!)

Daveland Disneyland Brochures, Maps, and Tickets

And how is this for a funky map? It is from the 1965 brochure or guide book, I think.

Western Mine Train???? I *never* knew that it held such a generic name before...

---------- Post added 07-10-2012 at 01:48 AM ----------

Originally posted by mickeyfan42 View Post
          does it say that space mountain is a future attraction?
          See the circle with an "X" thru it? Disney used this to indicate future attractions. Look how elaborate it was. It was supposed to go in and out of the "cone" (renderings also show this). Also, it was supposed to go to DL first, in fact I think it was first put on paper before the FL project was up and running.

---------- Post added 07-10-2012 at 01:52 AM ----------

Originally posted by RegionsBeyond View Post
          Yes, it does. This then must be from 1976: America Sings and America on Parade are listed, which opened for the anniversary of 1776. Space would be open within a year.
          Space was first shown on a 1968 map. Yes, 1968!!!

The fact you have a map with the first incarnation of Space (exterior portions) tells me this is not a 1976, but earlier than what ever date Space was built in WDW.

Comment

I bet when the 60th comes, there will be a large map again. I have the 50th one, I hope there's one for the 60th.:blush:
            Princess of Agrabah and Queen of Never Land

Comment

I'm a huge map collector. I mainly just collect the free ones at the gate but I do have some of the poster ones stuffed away in my collection. That last poster map they did was for the years of 2009/2010. Even up to last year, there were some floating around the stores but as of this Summer, I believe they're out of them and probably won't be making anymore since they're now "outdated." The only thing that exists that is remotely close to it is the puzzle that you can buy in the stores at the resort. It's really just the 2009/10 poster map made into a VERY challenging puzzle with crazy shaped pieces. It's a really popular puzzle and constantly sells out at the parks. Check it out as I'm sure they probably won't be making them for too much longer as that map is now "outdated" as well.

DCA only made the one poster sized map that was pictured above for opening day. I'm actually shocked they haven't made one for the relaunch.

Here's a list of all the Disneyland Poster Maps that were made (hope this helps):
              Year Poster Maps
              1958a Orange Border - Has Viewliner Train/Green Jungle Cruise Water
              1958b Orange Border - Added Matterhorn and Monorail/Blue Jungle Cruise Water
              1958c Orange Border - Added Matterhorn and Monorail/Blue Jungle Cruise Water - Added Cascade Peak in River
              1961 Pink Border
              1962 Blue Border
              1964a Green Border - No Stars
              1964b Green Border - Four rows of small stars
              1966 Copyright Date - 1966
              1968 Copyright Date - 1968
              1972 Copyright Date - 1968 + 1972
              1974 Copyright Date - 1968, 1972 + 1974
              1975 Copyright Date - 1968, 1972, 1974 + 1975
              1976 Copyright Date - 1968, 1972, 1974, 1975 + 1976
              1978 Copyright Date - 1978
              1979 Copyright Date - 1979
              1982 Copyright Date - 1982
              1983 Copyright Date - 1983
              1984 Copyright Date - 1984
              1987 Copyright Date - 1987
              1989 Mickey Bottom Right Corner
              1990 35th Anniversary Pop Up
              1995 40 Years of Adventure - Non Glossy
              1995e 40 Years of Adventure - Incorrect Date under Walt's Name - July 15th, 1955
              2000 45 Years of Magic
              2001 Banner says simply Disneyland - The ribbon around is curly
              2005 50th Happiest Homecoming
              2009 Chip/Dale Bottom Right Corner
              2010 Chip/Dale Bottom Right Corner
              Last edited by MagicAlumni; 07-10-2012, 09:36 AM.
              MagicAlumni

My Disneyland Resort Guide Map Blog...Come check it out...
              https://disneylandmaps.wordpress.com/

Comment

I love how "Liberty Street" and "Edison Square" are depicted on those Disneyland maps between Main Street and Tomorrowland for decades and were never built.

Comment

I was hoping they'd release an updated DCA map for 6/15.

BTW, I'm looking to sell a Sam McKim foam-core mounted EuroDisney map...

Comment

Originally posted by RegionsBeyond View Post
                    Here is one I own, from the late 70's....

That is beyond beautiful. :blush:

Comment

I'm glad to see that there are other poster map collectors here. I miss the souvenir guides too. I think they stopped making those around the time DCA opened.

for the collectors, how do you keep them? I stopped using the last fold so my maps are half height instead of 1/4 height. I have been wondering if I should stop folding them and get a drawing tube and keep them rolled instead of folding them.

Comment

Originally posted by MagicAlumni View Post
                        I'm a huge map collector. I mainly just collect the free ones at the gate but I do have some of the poster ones stuffed away in my collection. That last poster map they did was for the years of 2009/2010. Even up to last year, there were some floating around the stores but as of this Summer, I believe they're out of them and probably won't be making anymore since they're now "outdated." The only thing that exists that is remotely close to it is the puzzle that you can buy in the stores at the resort. It's really just the 2009/10 poster map made into a VERY challenging puzzle with crazy shaped pieces. It's a really popular puzzle and constantly sells out at the parks. Check it out as I'm sure they probably won't be making them for too much longer as that map is now "outdated" as well.
                        I've been looking for the map puzzle myself, for the past month, and I still have had no luck in finding one on the shelves.

I do believe in fairies. I do. I do.

Comment

So to answer the question about how I store them... well, I only have 2 stored, the others are framed and on hte walls, my DCA opening year map is in the living room, 40th anniversary one is in my room, the one from between Splash Mountain's opening and Fantasmic/Toontown opening is in my brother's room on the wall. My mom's map is on the wall in a "kids room" thats part of a museum display at my grandparent's banquet hall. The other 2 are folded up and between 2 thick Disneyland coffee table books in my parents colset to keep them safe.

the bottom pic is the one in my room, what do you all think of my decorations on that wall alone?
                          Trips coming up:

May 22-26th
                          July 13th-18th
                          November 19th-25th

Comment

I have the 1964 one and the most recent version.

Comment

Originally posted by 2ndStar2theRight View Post
                              I've been looking for the map puzzle myself, for the past month, and I still have had no luck in finding one on the shelves.
                              Try the World of Disney in Downtown Disney, they're the only store I've been able to see them in lately.
                              MagicAlumni

My Disneyland Resort Guide Map Blog...Come check it out...
                              https://disneylandmaps.wordpress.com/

Comment

Originally posted by MagicAlumni View Post
                                Try the World of Disney in Downtown Disney, they're the only store I've been able to see them in lately.
                                )Thanks for the tip MagicAlumni! I will try to scope out the store in Downtown Disney next week.

I do believe in fairies. I do. I do.

Comment

I one I own has Bear Country in the bottom left corner (I think the date is 1972).

Sorry, I can't seem to upload the image. (100-0159 jpg) It says its too large...

You have to look on ebay to find these items (and their not cheap!):rant:
                                  To "Hell" and back

Comment

tell me about it

you'd think Disneyland would be printing these non-stop since I think the demand for these never really dies down...

just a timeless souvenier that's a win-win for both Disney and visitors (easy money for Disney because people will potentially re-buy as updates come along, and a relatively inexpensive souvenir for visitors that is very attractive and can last a long time... even handed down to the next generation)

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                    Working...
                                    X