Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What do you think DCA still needs to fix?

Collapse

Get Away Today

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What do you think DCA still needs to fix?

Originally posted by ColonelWalrus View Post
    Personally, I'd like to see something done with the Pacific Wharf area. The land just seems boring to me, but adding an attraction might change that. Alcatraz maybe??
    At first I laughed, then I wondered if maybe Disney owns that J.J. Abrams show centered around Alcatraz even though its on Fox. Maybe if they had a Golden Gate Bridge replica then you could see Alcatraz from it ;-).

I don't like the look of Pacific Wharf, it looks too rundown and not very interesting as there are parts of the country that look that run down like that for real. If they are ever going to beautify Paradise Pier (I will refrain from derrogatory comments), then this area needs to go.

What is it?

I haven't been to see Carsland yet, but I know that they have a Ghirardelli shop there in what looks like a pretty rundown neighborhood. The Ghirardelli looks nice, but the rest of the place is falling apart? Time to give up and just tear it down and make it an expansion of Carsland. They could put in another ride if they utilize space well, or add that 1950's drive-in diner they were thinking about.

---------- Post added 07-10-2012 at 01:20 AM ----------

Originally posted by Gwenchanter View Post
    I think the little mermaid was supposed to be that great animatronic dark ride that the park was lacking.
    Before Mermaid, Monsters Inc. was touted as the next big thing which would save the park. The Little Mermaid and Monsters Inc. were good to great movies, depending on who you ask, but the rides don't connect with guests on an emotional level like older dark rides in Fantasyland.

Monsters had a long line shortly after it opened, but it is usually a walk on in my experience, and this is because the ride system was not designed specifically for Monsters Inc, it super-star limo and sometimes the screens don't work and the ride goes so slow that the magic is lost.

Mermaid, at least before Carsland, was a walk-on, and sometimes (maybe a lot of the time), the clam shells go by empty. Yes, it is super fast loading, at maybe 1,800 per hour, but Pirates loads closer to 3,000 and it often has a long line. I think that in the future they need to massive re-work this ride by finishing the unfinished scenes in the end. And improving scenes that look fake, like the "Kiss the Girl" scene with the plastic fish.
    Last edited by chesirecat; 07-09-2012, 06:21 PM.

Comment

I want the rest of the park to have theming like Cars Land does:
      very specific, very apparent, and very well done and immersive.

I think first and foremost, Bugsland needs to be taken a look at, it's lacking severely.
      Not in theming, but in ride quality and Disney magic.

Comment

Paradise Pier still needs a ton of work... same with Hollywoodland. They need to work on not just fixing something ugly(replacing the stucco of the board games with clapboard, taking away the plastic plane in Condor Flats) but actually create something inspiring and magical! The park has come so far but it still has so many places that need help. But great work so far!
        Proud visitor of
        Tokyo Disney Sea Disneyland Disney California Adventure Tokyo Disneyland

Comment

I'm aware that Mermaid was supposed to be a dark ride on par with those across the esplanade, and having been on it, I agree that it fell flat and doesn't act in the way it was intended. What I'm talking about is a ride that can go toe-to-toe with rides like Pirates and Haunted Mansion in both size and theming. California is rich with history, so a good idea shouldn't be too hard to conjure up...unless it involves a winery.

I think DCA is lacking attractions that help it compete as a park to draw in crowds. CarsLand helps a ton, but a single land can't support the whole park.

Comment

I could give you a laundry list of small things, but I won't. I'll say though that both Hollywood Land and the Grizzly Peak area need some revitilization. Both are in need of new attractions (especially HL). Pacific Pier seems fine for the time being to me. It has quite a few things to do, even if several of the rides are nothing special. I think it can stand as is for awhile while the previously mentioned areas get some TLC.

Comment

Originally posted by Dirton View Post
              I totally disagree. The great movie ride is a terrible experiance in my opinion. I'd love to see something using period themes like Dick Tracy or Rocketeer.
              Ummm just saying..the great movie ride...could include both of those in it
              Happy Halloween!!!

Comment

Originally posted by mickeyfan42 View Post
                in your opinion... To me it is the most interesting thing in DHS that isn't a clone of things in the other parks (TSMM, Star Tours), and even at that, Star Tours is the only thing that comes close to being better
                Tower of Terror?
                Favorite Ride: Tower of Terror

Comment

Originally posted by Quentin View Post
                  Tower of Terror?
                  theming... great, ride itself... it makes me want to take the stairs at the hotel the rest of the trip. Similar w/ Rockin Roller Coaster, it seems cool, but I have an extreme fear of being upside down while on a ride (hence I haven't ridden screamin either).
                  Trips coming up:

May 22-26th
                  July 13th-18th
                  November 19th-25th

Comment

What DCA needs to do asap in Phase II is to fix Hollywood Land. That should be the top priority in my opinion. 1) Make the Hyperion Theatre look like an actual theatre of the era. 2) Change the facades of everything on the street area. Less movie-like ,more life-like. 3) A new E-ticket ride in the 'hollywood studios' area, which means the removal of everything there. I agree with others about getting a new version of the Great Movie Ride. 4) New shows on the Hyperion, not just Aladdin. There should be at least 2-3, and they should rotate everyday. 5) If there's more space, a D-ticket ride.

I don't know why people are hard on AUA. I think it's fine as it is. DCA needs a family attraction with wide-appeal. AUA serves that purpose. It's like one of those classic Fantasyland dark rides.

GRR should stay, it only needs AAs and some scenes. Like the new Grizzly ride in Hong Kong. Grizzly Peak is a great land, I don't think much is needed to done. I guess a E- ticket in the RCCT area would be awesome.

Paradise Pier improved greatly since the billion dollar project. I love the new Victorian theme. All they need to do is some minor touch ups (CS and MFW queues, a rethemed carousel, a retheme or removal of JJ) to emphasize the new theme, replace GSS with something much better, and put something on Maliboom's old spot.

Condor Flats and Pacific Wharf are not a big lands so nothing much can be done besides theme improvements like new facades, restaurants etc. Soarin wouldn't make sense theme-wise if Condor flats was converted into Grizzly Peak.

Bug's Land has the potential to be great. The theme is great, but the rides leaves so much to be desired.
                    Last edited by ducktalesfan5555; 07-10-2012, 04:10 AM.

Comment

Create a bugs life circus where the least popular BL is. I know it duplicates the sitdown entertainment of it's tough to be a bug in a way but I think an animatronic/character circus would be great for that age group and it would pay homage to Walt's original circus right in the beginning in a way.

Bring the tangled meet and greet over and do the snuggly duck tavern right next door. Have it be part restaurant, part show (like golden horseshoe) but more like the tiki or country jamboree style obviously. This would also work in DL of course but in DCA it could actually be a real tavern Also I think Ariel is lonely and Rapuzel to be the most California girl princess of them all I think the right spot for this would be Goofy's sky school (maybe then move that partially to toontown)

Put an UP ride in the style of soarin' and star tours where the for dog castle is. Guests could enter through the trail or the main walkway.

Move turtle talk with crush towards the water. Maybe where the ice cream place is?

Definitely up the Hyperion or put in Grauman's instead. All the character's foot prints would be cute.
                      ―George Darling

It seems to me that we have a lot of story yet to tell. ― Walt Disney

Comment

It's "funny" how many Pixar inspired rides DCA. I don't really mind them like others do, but I think the park could use more original like GRR. I don't know if thatll happen though, being is how almost every ride Disney builds now is a movie tie-in.

Comment

They need to install THIS over by GRR!
                          Foolish Mortal
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by doombuggy driver View Post
                            They need to install THIS over by GRR!
                            I agree. A mine car ride just seems to fit in the area. I think itd be cool to have animatronics that could be seen from both rides- like how the train sees the final scene in splash mountain.

Comment

I would love to see WoC get fixed! Playing every night since its debut has put a lot of wear and tear on the poor structure! A lot of the water jets are broken, i.e. shooting slightly diagonally or sometimes not at all! And is it me, or do the projections of the water screens not look very clear anymore? I dunno, for some reasons the projections have been looking really fuzzy lately. WoC just doesn't look like what it used to be when it first opened anymore
                              My Adventure Blog

flickr

Comment

I really think that Paradise Pier or Hollywood Land needs another major family thrill or dark ride. Since WOC closes a good chunk of rides in the evening the crowds need something else to do. Carsland can not continue to soak up all the crowds and Mad T Party is not something that everyone enjoys.

---------- Post added 07-10-2012 at 10:49 AM ----------

Originally posted by Coolwowzer View Post
                                Two words LITTLE MERMAID, but seriously i dont think little mermaid was a flop, though they might want to fix the line fiasco, because the Little mermaid has to much line and to little people in it, and that just proves that the omnimover system works, but i agree another Dark Ride, im up for it
                                although the line is bit long for the crowds sometimes i think it add to the charm of the building. The extended queue in front of the bathrooms is no longer used and i wish they would just used that area for the ODV carts that they place in the middle of the walkways but there really is little that can be done with the queue covered with the canopy.

I have seen the canopy queue all filled up though in the last few weeks. The attraction does have its times when the queue is needed and fills up.

---------- Post added 07-10-2012 at 10:53 AM ----------

I think an omnimover dark ride that last anywhere from 7-10 minutes would do wonders for the park. Disneyland has both Pirates and the Haunted Mansion, both of which last long and can take on big crowds, but most of DCA's rides are pretty short. Hollywood Land is practically begging for a ride like this.
                                although i really enjoy dark rides with omnimovers i think its time for DIsney to get a bit more innovative and start creating rides that use different ride systems. As an example lets look at Universal and their latest additions to their theme parks. The ride systems that have been used are something that guests are enjoying and could be suitable for a family environment and for the thrill seekers.

slow dark rides are awesome but they tend to loose their appeal fast by the general public and when you start having too many of the same thing with the same ride system in the same park they become repetitive

Comment

I agree. A mine car ride just seems to fit in the area. I think itd be cool to have animatronics that could be seen from both rides- like how the train sees the final scene in splash mountain.
                                  I agree 100%! Grizzly Peak should have a mine train ride that intertwines with Grizzly River Run.

Comment

I would like to see annimals ( bears ) added to Grizzy River Rapids. Moving bears , with sounds.

The Redwood Creek area has UP theming and that is fun ( or it did in oct 2011 ), but what about a really nice high quality mini show in there more often. Up was a great movie and something other than a "wilderness explorer" show could be represented in there, it is a large area. I think it would be awesome to see Kevin running around in there.

I think CA has made some great changes and we cant wait until our next trip in the fall.

Our family does enjoy the Jellyfish Jumpers, but the theming is a bit off on them now. Maybe a re do on those. Same ride, different theme?

Comment

I understand the omnimover is a tired and almost overused ride system, but my point was those things are capable of eating massive amounts of people in an hours time. Rides that utilize them typically have no longer than a 10 min wait.

I agree though. Disney should start coming up with new vehicles, kinda like the Winnie the pooh honey jars overseas (Japan Disney, china Disney?). DCA deserves another innovative attraction

Comment

With the opening of Cars Land and Buena Vista Street, the park has been seeing a lot of attendance in the past month. Despite that, it's hard to deny that there are still things the park could work on to make it even better. The resort is constantly evolving and I like to see what others want/don't want to be done. What do you want to change? Let's try to avoid pessimism while we're at it.

Personally, I'd like to see something done with the Pacific Wharf area. The land just seems boring to me, but adding an attraction might change that. Alcatraz maybe??
                                        I like the idea of an Alatraz style attraction, but I do like Pacific Warf. I loved both walk thrus, and was sad to see the tortilla one go. I am not sure there is any room in that area for a ride of any major size, but maybe I am wrong!
                                        Also as far a a Pirates style ride I think grizzly rapids could fit the bill with a major face lift that adds some amazing effects. I think they could save a lot of cash in the process too.
                                        Dave

Comment

One thing DCA needs is more boats/ships. DLP has tons of different watercraft which gives the park a lively, refreshing feel.

So, I suggest they install an auxiliary steam ship like the below at the Pacific Wharf area as noted below. These ships became popular during the California Gold Rush...which is perfect for a refresh of Pacific Wharf into a boisterous Gold Rush era version of San Francisco. It could have a restaurant, it could have a show with singing sailors up in rigging, sea shanty music, it could be an interactive play area for kids, all sorts of options. It will start to give Pacific Wharf the rich "take my imagination somewhere" themeing it needs.
                                          Click image for larger version

Name:	usps11sta021c.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	40.0 KB
ID:	7343799Click image for larger version

Name:	DCA.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	70.1 KB
ID:	7343800

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse