Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Question] DCA entrance...why not real flags?

So I was just wondering if anyone else was bothered by this. Why are the flags at the entrance of DCA plastic? What was so hard about using real ones that would actually blow in the wind? What's even stranger is that the new DCA website, uses a graphic that shows them waving. Am I alone in thinking this is weird?

Re: DCA entrance...why not real flags?

I asked that a while back and got a range of answers such as 'the flags are always picture perfect' and 'real flags would not last as long and they would have to replace them constantly.'

I would honestly prefer REAL flags.

Comment

I thought this was "discussed" a while ago and it had something to do with the typical direction of the wind? Anyway, I think the plastic ones work better.

Comment

problem is they look like cheap plastic flags. With everything else being so authentic and detailed, they stand out. They at least could have used something with real fabric, but with a wire under to keep it straight. I

Comment

Originally posted by DARTH MAUL View Post
          So I was just wondering if anyone else was bothered by this. Why are the flags at the entrance of DCA plastic? What was so hard about using real ones that would actually blow in the wind? What's even stranger is that the new DCA website, uses a graphic that shows them waving. Am I alone in thinking this is weird?
          I could honestly care less as it doesn't influence my overall experience one way or the other. JMO
          "Raiders Suck"
          -Walt Disney

Comment

problem is they look like cheap plastic flags. With everything else being so authentic and detailed, they stand out. They at least could have used something with real fabric, but with a wire under to keep it straight. I

They're just flags, man.

Comment

Originally posted by brenden View Post
              They're just flags, man.
              My sentiments exactly!

Comment

They don't really stand out to me, in fact I hardly ever look up there.

Originally posted by Daboltz View Post
                I could honestly care less as it doesn't influence my overall experience one way or the other. JMO
                This.

Comment

Originally posted by Daboltz View Post
                  If you could care less, then that means you do care, so...

Real flags look awful when the wind isn't blowing. That being said, they use real flags for the poles in the parks, so it isn't unheard of in California. I think the whole entrance looks plastic, so the plastic flags just fit in better.

Comment

Agreed. This should be a park wide thing. For example, this looks hideous and fake and should never have been approved:

Click image for larger version

Name:	299447815_b8cadc05b8.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	103.2 KB
ID:	7343798

Comment

Originally posted by Kevbot217 View Post
                      Agreed. This should be a park wide thing. For example, this looks hideous and fake and should never have been approved:

Comment

I hope at Halloween time they use real monster sized candy corn to theme better.

Click image for larger version

Name:	2959685217_80cd26d014_z.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	143.1 KB
ID:	7343801

Comment

Originally posted by explodingboy View Post
                          They don't really stand out to me, in fact I hardly ever look up there.

This.
                          Ditto. Like he said I don't even look at them when I go and like others have said the San Ana winds would destory them if they where real.

Comment

Originally posted by Kevbot217 View Post

[ATTACH=CONFIG]22216[/ATTACH]
                            Not entirely sure if this is sarcasm because that sign is the quintessential Disneyland sign ever for me. It's my all-time favorite.

Comment

Wow...thank you all for being so polite in your replies.

Comment

The flags are actually sheet metal, not plastic. And I remember reading before where an Imagineer said basically they want the flags to always be pointing to the inside of the park to basically "guide" guests in. The prevailing sea breeze would always have real flags blow away from the park (except during Santa Ana winds) and would not look as inviting. Take it for what you will, but does make a bit sense if you think about it. Imagineers think of everything and guess they wanted to make sure the "new" DCA drew people in from every form they could.

Comment

I also heard the above. I think the fake ones look better.
                                  DisneyTwins
                                  Since May 2003

Comment

Originally posted by AaronInCal View Post
                                    Imagineers think of everything and guess they wanted to make sure the "new" DCA drew people in from every form they could.
                                    so basically, it's a jedi-mind trick, ahh, i see. Smart.
                                    No offense to anyone but I enjoyed the original entrance, it was very inviting and those letters drew me in. It was very enjoyable when they constantly decorated them, too.

Comment

Originally posted by ohmyjustin View Post
                                      Not entirely sure if this is sarcasm because that sign is the quintessential Disneyland sign ever for me. It's my all-time favorite.
                                      Ummm, yeah. Total sarcasm.
                                      "People of Earth, how are you?"

A clear conscience is usually the sign of a bad memory.

"I am a nice shark, not a mindless eating machine. If I am to change this image, I must first change myself.
                                      Fish are friends, not food."

Comment

Originally posted by ohmyjustin View Post
                                        Couldn't agree more.

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                        Working...
                                        X