Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Disneyland (out with old and in with the new)

Collapse

Get Away Today

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Disneyland (out with old and in with the new)

What if a private investor who had too much money on his hands could purchase the rides that people loved but had to go for development and move them somewhere else, much like what happened to the original Disneyland Railroad coaches or roller coasters between parks, but on a much bigger and more expensive scale. Can you imagine Space Mountain being torn down one by one and being rebuilt on a ranch in Southern California?

Also, that news about the Subs, Autopia, and Innoventions being gutted out for a new land sounds really really promising. Not only will it give us more land, but it would also get rid of a few attractions that overstayed their welcome.

Total Tender Rides: 20
    Total Lilly Belle Rides: 9
    Total Dapper Days Attended: 2
    Total Mark Twain Wheelhouse Rides: 5

Comment

Since Disneyland is a theme park, maintaining the right balance of nostalgic, beloved attractions and new, innovative attractions is a tough act to juggle. They have to evolve and grow, otherwise they become stale and stop drawing new audiences. What with many other theme parks making big strides in recent years, Disney has to compete to remain relative and maintain their share of the market. The tough juggling act comes in when you have to figure out where those changes are best made with what there currently is to work with. Not all ideas or decisions Disney makes are going to be popular, nor are they going to be good decisions. But unfortunately, there are many in positions of power who do not share our emotional connection to Disneyland, and as such, they do not share our nostalgia and respect for various attractions. When the ideas of these factions gain steam, things can happen that many will disagree with. And it happens the same way vice versa as well. It's a tough job, but something that is constantly happening.

Comment

Originally posted by Dirton View Post
        What i'm talking about is a constant posting about his hatred of brands. WE GET IT. And it's not valid when i didn't mention anything about what would replace it. This thread if you read my post is merely about the resort changing or staying the same. Everyone else seemed to get it. It's a method of continuing a previous point in this thread that has been covered over and over and over again in other threads. Seeing that i posted this thread and don't want to see it get derailed, like it is, i felt i should say something.
        Does the truth bother you?
        Last edited by Seawolf; 07-11-2012, 02:38 AM.

Comment

no, as i've said before i don't care about branding. I really, really don't. I'll i care about is quality (something that i wasn't discussing here). I merely wanted to talked about replacing attractions (regardless of whether what replaced it was worse, as good, or better than before). I'm sick of the small old complaining, in every freaking thread, especially one i started. Some posters are known for highjacking threads just to get their opinions heard, OVER AND OVER AND OVER AND OVER AND OVER again.

I agree that past removals/replacements have been less than well done, but there are some that i understand and actually enjoy. I'm a huge fan of the Swiss Family Robinson, and the old attraction BUT i understand that kids today just don't know what it is. Tarzan's while not being the same quality, does a good job, im my opinion, of preserving the spirit of the old attraction while using a character a younger generation is more familiar with. Same thing goes for the CBJ and the Pooh replacement. I enjoy Pooh and visit it far more than the CBJ, but that's just me. I like the Nemo overlay but just don't ride it often because the attraction design (of nemo and the original) is not to my liking. It's uncomfortable and difficult to see the attraction well.

The big difference is i'm not a Disneyland purest. I understand the need for change as well as the corporate structure and the company's need/want to make money. Overall the mouse is making better decisions now and i'd love to see more of an effort to either update attractions or completely replace them. We need to "keep moving forward". And that's what i'm discussing. Not what will replace older attractions, but the idea of replacing attractions.

Is that clear and simple enough to understand?

Comment

Progress and nostalgia are not mutually exclusive. They've coexisted at the parks for a long time.

Comment

I agree with some of the lists up there of rides that should never be removed, but if they ever decided to get rid of Haunted Mansion someday, then I would most likely stop going to Disneyland forever, especially if it was replaced by something lame. I would be more than happy with an upgrade that retains the original spirit and storyline of the attraction, but not with removing it.

Comment

They sure have, but i'm refering to the idea of nostalgia over progress (subjective i know). Keeping something just because it's familar and you enjoy it rather than something new that you may or may not like also.

Comment

I think it would be helpful if maybe you listed some attractions you think should be replaced because you believe they are still here solely based on nostalgia. For myself I think pooh is a great example of what your talking about as it replaced the country bears which had really grown stale (after recently seeing it in WDW it made me appreciate pooh even more as it was just bad(my opinion) and empty) and pooh while not the greatest attraction they could have done is a cute ride for the space and I ride it at least 5 times when I go where I might do CBJ once if that.
                  BGood! It's not just my motto its my name!

Comment

There isn't anything i think needs to be replaced. That's what i'm saying; i just don't think though that stuff should stay just because it's been there forever.

Comment

They sure have, but i'm refering to the idea of nostalgia over progress (subjective i know). Keeping something just because it's familar and you enjoy it rather than something new that you may or may not like also.
                      I'd say my enjoyment of HM comes partially from nostalgia for it was my favorite ride as a kid, but also I enjoy it even more now than before because I can appreciate the details and uniqueness the attraction has to offer. To me, it would be difficult to top the details and immersion in Pirates, HM, and Indy, so really, why take the risk when there are other things that can be replaced for the better.

Comment

because at some point it will become old and stale. At some point it will be outdated. Now if it is updated (like it has been) it can remain new and fresh, which we're seeing more offten.

Comment

Unless an attraction is putting butts in the seats, I think its fine to get rid of it. Country Bears was a great example... though its replacement was less than stellar. But had that ride been replaced with something less... 2D, I think many more would be okay with it. If Pirates ever stopped pulling in guests... not that I think it will anytime soon... I'd say it could go though.

Moreover, I think getting rid of old attractions is fine. As a Disney fan, I loved the Carousel of Progress (at WDW) and seeing old attractions like ATIS (on youtube); I wish I could have ridden them. But I totally understand why they no longer appeal to a modern audience who doesn't have the sort of insane Disney love I do.

PotC and HM show us that non-movie/non-brand driven attractions can still work with today's audience, and if the company is willing to still give these types of attractions a go (see Hong Kong's Big Grizzly Mountain), then I say replace the old/empty attractions. It doesn't take long for a new original ride to become a Disney classic (Soarin').
                          Disneyland Wooooh!

"You see- Everybody's got a laughin' place, trouble is most folks won't take the time to go look for it."

Comment

yeah i think that's the determining factor, is are they still popular. There are extreme cases though like the subs (functionality and cost).

Comment

I have read and reread the first post of this thread a few times. Something just popped into my head during my last reading. I am a senior citizen. I guess I can be called that since I will be 65 on my next birthday. I have seen lots of things, over the years replaced by newer things that did the same thing, and did it much better. I admit to not accepting some of those new things too easily. I balked at the microwave at first, and now I can't imagine life without it. I wasn't a big fan of the computer, I didn't see a personal need for it in my life. I then decided to plan a trip to Disney World, and I found the information on the computer to be very valuable. The microwave provided a faster and easier way to prepare many foods. The computer has a wealth of information at one's fingertips, whereas in the past, I would have headed to the bookstore, or the library. I remember how the VCR bought movies into my home. I loved that technology. VCR tapes are eventually replaced by DVD's, and my grandson now tells me that those will someday be obsolete. He said something about downloading movies directly onto my computer instead. I am still a little reluctant to make that step.

I hold on to some old things, and welcome some new things with open arms. I guess it's a personal thing for me. A new item must have a practical use in my life, or I'm not likely to buy it, and/or use it. Not when I can get the job done with the older item that still works just fine.

Attractions are not always replaced with better ones. Hopefully, they are more modern, more exciting, and fit the magical equation of making a guest want to experience it over and over again.

Many old attractions have been doing that for almost 50 years, and some missed the mark for the majority of guests, and therefore were put on the chopping block.

I would say, that overall the popularity of the Disneyland attractions has as a total has been very successful. So it seems that there is a very small margin with which to create new and magical experiences for the guest.

I still have my landline phone, and I wouldn't think to replace my cannister vacuum as long as it still does the job.
                              BarbaraAnn

Comment

because at some point it will become old and stale. At some point it will be outdated. Now if it is updated (like it has been) it can remain new and fresh, which we're seeing more offten.
                                Yep, that's similar to what I said in post #46. But replacing it entirely can be very risky. I think it will be quite a while before HM becomes obsolete and needs a major update. It has already proven to last over 40 years.

Comment

Originally posted by frollofan View Post
                                  Yep, that's similar to what I said in post #46. But replacing it entirely can be very risky. I think it will be quite a while before HM becomes obsolete and needs a major update. It has already proven to last over 40 years.
                                  I think the nightmare before christmas overlay helps to keep it fresh too as it gives us something else for a few months and makes us all ready for the original by the time it comes back
                                  BGood! It's not just my motto its my name!

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                  Working...
                                  X