Disneyland (out with old and in with the new)

Collapse

Get Away Today

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dirton
    Banned User
    • Mar 2005

Re: Disneyland (out with old and in with the new)

haha, i don't think the castle will even be even hinted at being removed as it is a symbol of the park. An icon much like mickey himself.

Comment

• WorldDisney
      Banned User
      • Jul 2007

Originally posted by Sambo View Post
      Just replacing is sterile for a discussion and totally uninteresting without a discussion on quality and specifics - with examples. Without that - not anything to discuss. Just "Replacement - good or bad?" by itself is meaningless.
      Oh c'mon! You cant just discuss the ACT of replacing old rides for new one without having a bunch of ideas of what to replace them with? I dont think this is suppose to be an idea thread, just a discussion of how people generally feel if they were to replace the older rides. It doesnt have to be anymore than that and people are free to say what they would like to replace certain atrractions with if they want.

Comment

• OliviaVonDrake
        Sock Puppet
        • Jun 2005

Originally posted by Mr Wiggins View Post
        It depends on how the Disney Corporation defines "progress." In Disneyland's first three decades, progress meant ever-increasing standards of innovation, ingenuity and creativity. Progress meant replacing Tomorrowland '55 with Tomorrowland '67. Replacing Fantasyland '55 with Fantasyland '83. Progress meant ever-improving attractions, more unique stores, more unique merchandise, more unique table service restaurants, and world class customer service.

In Disneyland's last two decades, "progress" has meant turning Tomorrowland '67 into Tomorrowland '98, turning America Sings into Innoventions, turning the Submarine Voyage thru Liquid Space into the Finding Nemo Underwater Kiddie Video, and turning the Swiss Family Treehouse into a Tarzan Disney Store display. "Progress" has meant turning the Tahitian Terrace into Aladdin's Oasis and then into a ghost restaurant. Turning the PeopleMover into Rocket Rods and then into a ghost attraction. Turning the Motorboat Cruise into a smoking area. Ripping out the Skyway. Replacing table-service restaurants with ODV carts. Replacing unique, land-specific merchandise with generic character crap in every store. Jamming franchise brand cartoon characters into every land, whether they fit the theme or not. Reducing employee training and customer service to shadows of what they were. Letting landmarks like Fort Wilderness and Cascade Peak literally rot.

Given two decades of that kind of marketing-driven, sharp pencil "progress" over nostalgia, I'll take nostalgia.
        This is basically everything I would want to say on this subject.

Comment

• TL59
          Sondheimian
          • Jul 2012

I look at this on a basis of what I think of when I think of Disneyland, what makes Disneyland unique. These are the rides I think of: Haunted Mansion, POTC, all of the mountains, Indy, all of the Fantasyland rides. As for everything else, if they were given quality and better upgrades, I would be totally fine with replacing them. The rides I mentioned, though, are classics or are so good, I couldn't think of how to replace them.
          - Walt Disney

Comment

• WorldDisney
            Banned User
            • Jul 2007

Originally posted by DisneyIPresume View Post
            People so far seem to have settled on a specific list of attractions that they do not want replaced.

None of those mentioned were the castle.

Disneyland really is dead.

I personally would at least be OPEN to the idea of replacing the castle, but all know that will never happen. Its kind of like trying to replace the Statue of Liberty for something else. Americans would go nuts over it lol.

But lets not kid oursleves, I think 80% of whats in the park will NEVER go anywhere! Its just not going to happen. I know things I was riding was there before I was born will all pretty much be there when I die because at the end of the day there is waaaay too much nostalgia for the fans now to truly make any radical changes and Disney markets that nostalgia in droves to bring them back! Just the way it is!

Oddly enough, its probably why DCA was born in the first place. Not just a place they have more room to throw rides in and do what they want, but also not have it looked at in the same snow globe vide DL is and they can change it how they want. But that sucked so now its going the historical and nostalgia route just like DL is and I imagine in 50 years on these boards there will be a new generation of people shouting NO WAY can they ever take out RSR, TOT, TLM, Soarin etc because these are things they did as kids and their kids do now. And they dont think the bakery factory should EVER be touched because it was there when the park opened and its still beloved even if many people dont do it!

Comment

• LordVader
              Heavy Breather
              • Jun 2012

Attractions that will never go:
              Pirates
              Haunted Mansion
              Splash Mountain
              Jungle Cruise
              Big Thunder
              Matterhorn
              Indiana Jones
              Tiki Room
              All original Fantasyland attractions
              Mr.Lincoln
              Space Mountain
              Star Tours(as long as they keep updating, and since Star Wars has still retained massive popularity after 35 years, I'm not sure it's going anywhere)
              Tom Sawyers Island
              Small World
              Railroad
              Last edited by LordVader; 07-10-2012, 04:19 PM. Reason: Small World
              sigpic

What is thy bidding, my Mouseter?

Check out my tumblr: http://dvader2015.tumblr.com/

Comment

• WDW1971
                Suspended
                • Jul 2011

Attractions that I REALLY would hate to see gone:

Disneyland Railroad
                Jungle Cruise
                Splash Mountain
                Pirates of the Caribbean
                Haunted Mansion
                Big Thunder Mountain Railroad
                Dumbo (for the kiddies)
                Matterhorn
                Space Mountain

However, these rides need to be updated and kept up with the current technologies while keeping the original storyline and theme of the attraction. It is alright if they get little tweaks here and there to keep up with the audiences. Modern audio animatronics, better queues, new tracks, etc.

Comment

• JerrodDRagon
                  Adventure First, Ad Last
                  • Mar 2006

Originally posted by DisneyIPresume View Post
                  People so far seem to have settled on a specific list of attractions that they do not want replaced.

None of those mentioned were the castle.

Disneyland really is dead.

I like the castle....but if they redid it...by making it taller and bigger i'd be all for that

I think a castle should stand a little taller and..not be pink
                  Happy Halloween!!!

Comment

• Mom kissed Walt
                    • Jul 2012

Here are my lists of untouchables:

Disneyland:
                    Railroad
                    Sleeping Beauty's Castle
                    Peter Pan
                    POTC
                    HM
                    IJ
                    JC
                    Matterhorn
                    Space Mountain
                    Star Tours
                    (they could gut everything else in Tomorrowland though and should)

DCA:
                    Soarin
                    GRR
                    TSMM
                    RSR

I also would be sad to see lots of others go as well but the above are deal breakers for me.

I think Walt would be extremely dissapointed in Tomorrowland. It just does not move with the times. I'm a nostalgia girl myself but I do recognize that TL is extremely outdated and that's a disservice to Walt's dream and bugs me.
                    You know, I have the strangest feeling that I've seen that ship before. A long time ago, when I was very young. ―George Darling
                    It seems to me that we have a lot of story yet to tell. ― Walt Disney

Comment

• Gwenchanter
                      MiceChatter
                      • Aug 2010

Disneyland is my favorite Disney park BECAUSE it's old. Experiencing the older attractions is somewhat like taking a step back in time - especially since they are so well maintained. We have to protect that. I know that's probably not Walt's vision for the park but at the same time he's the one who built main street to look like a turn of the century town and put the railroad in to remind us of a bygone stream-train era. He understood that we feel happiest and most at ease in an environment that somehow hearkens back to something in our childhood or a world that seems somehow familiar because we've read fairy tales or adventures about it. A well designed ride is never old because there was something timeless about it from the very start.

Comment

• Mom kissed Walt
                        • Jul 2012

Originally posted by Gwenchanter View Post
                        Disneyland is my favorite Disney park BECAUSE it's old. Experiencing the older attractions is somewhat like taking a step back in time - especially since they are so well maintained. We have to protect that. I know that's probably not Walt's vision for the park but at the same time he's the one who built main street to look like a turn of the century town and put the railroad in to remind us of a bygone stream-train era. He understood that we feel happiest and most at ease in an environment that somehow hearkens back to something in our childhood or a world that seems somehow familiar because we've read fairy tales or adventures about it. A well designed ride is never old because there was something timeless about it from the very start.
                        Agreed, that Main Street should not be touched (unless it is to return it to it's former glory like with Carnation). That's sacrosanct IMO.
                        You know, I have the strangest feeling that I've seen that ship before. A long time ago, when I was very young. ―George Darling
                        It seems to me that we have a lot of story yet to tell. ― Walt Disney

Comment

• ducktalesfan5555
                          Quintessential Studmuffin
                          • Aug 2009

Out with the old and in with the new? Well new doesn't necessarily mean better. I'm in the 'If it ain't broke don't "fix" it' camp.

There are things that you just can't remove from Disneyland, these things make Disneyland, well Disneyland (BTW I don't mind any good updates in them):
                          HM
                          POTC
                          Tiki Room
                          Small World
                          Disneyland Railroad
                          Matterhorn
                          Jungle Cruise
                          the Mark Twain, Columbia, and the Rivers of America for that matter
                          Splash Mountain
                          Space Mountain
                          The Golden Horseshoe
                          Monorail
                          The Fanatasyland Dark rides
                          IJA
                          Main Street w/ the vehicles
                          The Castle (DUH!)
                          New Orleans Square

Comment

• mickdaddy
                            MiceChatter
                            • Dec 2009

Originally posted by calsig31 View Post
                            Heaven forbid they ever retheme that to Dinosaur.
                            2nd that! Dinosaur is the worst ride! So much potential with that ride system and theme and we get whip you around in the dark and look at the same Dinosaur in different settings with some guy yelling not our dinosaur! Just disappointing!
                            BGood! It's not just my motto its my name!

Comment

• calsig31
                              -
                              • Aug 2009

Originally posted by mickdaddy View Post
                              2nd that! Dinosaur is the worst ride! So much potential with that ride system and theme and we get whip you around in the dark and look at the same Dinosaur in different settings with some guy yelling not our dinosaur! Just disappointing!
                              Don't forget the stupid rubber dinosaur that makes a grab at you at the same point where the boulder would be on Indy. Lame!
                              "Greetings, Starfighter! You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Xur and the Ko-Dan Armada."

Comment

• WorldDisney
                                Banned User
                                • Jul 2007

Originally posted by LordVader View Post
                                Attractions that will never go:
                                Pirates
                                Haunted Mansion
                                Splash Mountain
                                Jungle Cruise
                                Big Thunder
                                Matterhorn
                                Indiana Jones
                                Tiki Room
                                All original Fantasyland attractions
                                Mr.Lincoln
                                Space Mountain
                                Star Tours(as long as they keep updating, and since Star Wars has still retained massive popularity after 35 years, I'm not sure it's going anywhere)
                                Tom Sawyers Island
                                Small World
                                Railroad
                                First off I agree! But I would also add the monorail to the list! Its way too much an icon as well and people just love to see glide through the resort. But yes, that stuff is not going anywhere, not just at DL, but every MK park worldwide!

But that said, that also means pretty much the park is landlocked. Looking at that list it basically means west side is done mostly. NOS, FrLand, CC, MS and FL is basically off limits. Sure you can add a small attraction or a restaurant here and there but not much. I know for Frl, there is the constant talk of the expansion there but outside of the berm like most of the last big attractions and it sounds like its easier said than done. So that leaves basically TL which of course people have talked about and the latest Al report says that they may get serious and really rennovate it which would be cool. And TT which obviously has a lot of space. But I dont see TT ever leaving either! Its still a VERY popular place for kids and RR is still one of the best dark rides in the entire park with big waits.

So I'm pretty convinced TL is really the only area they may change but even with that people are still trying to bring scrapped rides like the PM and ATIS back out of all things and others are upset just the THOUGHT the subs and autopia might go even though most of them dont ride these attractions themselves anymore. So I dont know if that will even happen if enough people complain enough.
                                Last edited by WorldDisney; 07-10-2012, 07:13 PM.

Comment

• gomezaddams
                                  MiceChatter
                                  • Dec 2011

Change without a plan is idiocy. Change with a bad plan is malfeasance. Change with a good plan is vision. As Mr. Wiggins so cogently posted earlier, the track record of the Changers hasn't been that great in the last 30 years. The current regime has proven to have a mixed bag as evidence for their vision. For every positive, there seems to be a "clunker".

Blind faith in the Lasseter Brain Trust would be a mistake. With that being said, you only have to go visit Yesterland to see the list of Walt Disney personally approved attractions that missed their marks. Evidence seems to indicate the Lasseter & Company is willing to admit his mistakes & try to improve on past failed efforts. This has been shown by the alterations to Mermaid and admission to the Nemo disaster. It will be interesting to see how they handle the Matterhorn fiasco where there is definitive proof of change with a bad plan.
                                  Skiddley Whiffers is a cruel mistress; cold and unforgiving.

Comment

• Burgower1994
                                    MiceChatter
                                    • Jul 2008

Things I hope that will NEVER close down

Main street
                                    Castle
                                    Great Moment of Mr. Lincoln
                                    Space Mountain
                                    Star Tours
                                    Jungle Cruse
                                    Indy
                                    Big Thunder Mountain
                                    Disneyland Railroad
                                    Haunted Mansion
                                    Pirates
                                    Splash Mountain
                                    All ORIGINAL fantasyland dark rides
                                    It a small World
                                    Monorails
                                    Matterhorn
                                    Disney Love from HOUSTON TEXAS!!
                                    GO TEXANS, ROCKETS, ASTROS AND COOGS!!!

Comment

• bigcatrik
                                      MiceChatter
                                      • May 2012

Taller castle? Matterhorn's scale was designed to sit comfortably next to it as is. That (from some sources) is why Matterhorn was nixed for Florida. Raise the castle and suddenly the Matterhorn becomes a hill.

Comment

• Bongo
                                        ********ter
                                        • Aug 2011

Guys, guys...why don't we all remember the Vault-Tec quota?

There is a BRIGHTER future UNDERGROUND!

As improbable and ridiculous as it may sound and cost, couldn't it be possible buy some surrounding land and dig tunnels to connect them to the park? Or better yet, just build show buildings right under the park. Not only would it solve some of the space issue, but it would also provide a controlled environment for imagineers to play with.

Okay, so that top statement was a joke. In all seriousness, I really have no idea what to do. The park is in a tight situation and some rides will have to go sooner or later, as sad as it may be (Although some rides we feel should of been gone long ago ahemInnoventionsahe). Some rides have got to stay and some have got to go, we can all agree on that. It's just the matter of what's staying, what's going, and what's going to replace it. And what would happen if the park came to a point where it was filled with nothing but original E-Ticket attractions (Although highly unlikely) that everyone felt shouldn't be removed?

Total Tender Rides: 20
                                        Total Lilly Belle Rides: 9
                                        Total Dapper Days Attended: 2
                                        Total Mark Twain Wheelhouse Rides: 5

Comment

• strikeuptheband
                                          Sleepy...
                                          • Jul 2011

Let's look back at the Viewliner. Walt wanted a train to represent the future, he built one! A year later, the Viewliner was gone. He wanted something better andthe monorail was born! THAT'S the kind of replacement I wouldn't mind. Yes, there are rides we've become attached to and are too classic to be removed. But in the end... where will the new go? I can't really come to a conclusion with this subject. It's hard. But lack of space shouldn't affect Disneyland's ability to grow.

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                          Working...
                                          X