This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Question] Newly Patented Disney Ride System

This is a diagram of a newly patented Disney ride system that allows boats to turn and position themselves via computer control. The patent application states:
    "To propel the boats, one or both of the bogies includes a reaction plate such as a metallic plate or permanent magnet, and the guide track is fitted with linear motors that may take the form of a continuous line of linear synchronous motors (LSMs) or linear induction motors (LIMs). The ride system may include a controller or control system and power supply to selectively power the linear motors, e.g., the control system may be adapted for propulsion, position sensing, communications, and control of the ride system including the linear motors and, if present, show elements synchronized to boat positions and/or orientations along the guide track."

Does anybody know how the Imagineers will be able to use a high-voltage linear induction system underwater?
    Click image for larger version

Name:	disney boat (Mobile).jpg
Views:	1
Size:	11.3 KB
ID:	7369324
    sigpic

Re: Newly Patented Disney Ride System

This is very interesting maybe they are updating PoC or adding a new ride in Fantasyland or Adventure Land. I could also be for the rumored Frontier land expansion for MK in WDW.

Comment

There was another thread that mentioned this new ride system. I think it might be used for Shanghai POTC first. Their version of POTC might be different from the others. I do hope the ride system is use for Disneyland.

Comment

I wish the image were bigger. Gah, I'm so excited!

Originally posted by mondo View Post
        There was another thread that mentioned this new ride system. I think it might be used for Shanghai POTC first. Their version of POTC might be different from the others. I do hope the ride system is use for Disneyland.
        I believe that it's been already confirmed that Shanghai's POTC will utilize this ride system

Comment

Originally posted by Dillamond View Post
          I wish the image were bigger. Gah, I'm so excited!

I believe that it's been already confirmed that Shanghai's POTC will utilize this ride system
          Ask and Ye shall receive...
          Click image for larger version

Name:	disney boat (Custom).jpg
Views:	1
Size:	82.1 KB
ID:	7343823
          sigpic

Comment

Have been discussed here..

http://micechat.com/forums/shanghai-...n-amazing.html

:love:Bringing the Love since January 10, 2011:love:
            We were sent over there with the message that only we would defend Disney quality.. We learnt quickly that the Japanese culture speaks to a level of quality that is hard to comprehend. They were all unbelievably skilled and willing to do the right thing.
            Craig Russell -Walt Disney Imagineering

Comment

Originally posted by DoctorQ9 View Post
              Does anybody know how the Imagineers will be able to use a high-voltage linear induction system underwater?
              [ATTACH=CONFIG]22246[/ATTACH]
              There are two waterslide/water coasters that use this type of technology (tho a bit more primative). The electricty is under the track and the h2o is on the track. They are kept seperate.

This vid shows a powered waterslide...

Holiday World's Mammoth: The World's Longest Water Coaster - YouTube

With a bit of thought, one can see how the more advanced Disney version can work. Take a look at the lift hills, the track is a bit different.

Comment

Originally posted by TravisMT81 View Post
                Discussed, yes -- but no answer to my question!
                sigpic

Comment

I thought this was just a myth. Now my doubts have been relinquished. Looks interesting, and if it's going to be in Shanhai's PotC, imagine the added immersion that the ride could possibly have if done right.
                  sigpic

What is thy bidding, my Mouseter?

Check out my tumblr: http://dvader2015.tumblr.com/

Comment

Originally posted by LordVader View Post
                    I thought this was just a myth. Now my doubts have been relinquished. Looks interesting, and if it's going to be in Shanhai's PotC, imagine the added immersion that the ride could possibly have if done right.
                    I know, right?! It could be AMAZING! Though I hope they stay true to Walt Disney's pirates attraction. I rode WDW's and it was scarily short and didn't make that much sense. It felt more like a rush-through, not an immersive experience. D: Of course, I also wish Shanghai will add their own flair to the ride instead of making it a carbon copy of it's siblings.

Oh -- did I mention how excited I am for this new ride system!? :yea:

Comment

Cool to see. There's been a lot of discussion about how Cars Land used old tech. I'm excited to see how this new ride system is used. I think this could be used effectively in Frontierland or in the new Marvel Park as well.They also have the cable car patent shown below that could help them add some top tier ride systems in the future.

Comment

Click on the link, or copy and paste, for an in-depth look at the patent with more pictures and the entire ride system. Patent US8091483 - Amusement park ride with underwater-controlled boats - Google Patents Let the rumor mill begin :yea:!

Comment

While this is neat and all and I'm super duper happy Disneyland is being innovative again, I don't quite understand how this will really enhance the whole ride experience. What will make it so great? Obviously the concept is really cool and all that, but will there be a noticeable difference in the ride?
                          sigpic...After a YEAR I finally was able to figure out my password again! I'm baaack! Woohoo!(:
                          Disney is my life <3
                          Thank Walt for all he did! <3
                          Future Imagineer <3
                          Keep Disney the way Walt intended it!!

Comment

Originally posted by LittleImagineer View Post
                            While this is neat and all and I'm super duper happy Disneyland is being innovative again, I don't quite understand how this will really enhance the whole ride experience. What will make it so great? Obviously the concept is really cool and all that, but will there be a noticeable difference in the ride?
                            I think it will remove the need of those rails the boat goes through. You know, the ones on the side that keep the boat centered. But in order for that to happen they have to bump into it. Not only will it remove those bars which can sometimes be visible, but it would also allow for a smoother ride.

Or at least that's what I though.

Total Tender Rides: 20
                            Total Lilly Belle Rides: 9
                            Total Dapper Days Attended: 2
                            Total Mark Twain Wheelhouse Rides: 5

Comment

Originally posted by Bongo View Post
                              I think it will remove the need of those rails the boat goes through. You know, the ones on the side that keep the boat centered. But in order for that to happen they have to bump into it. Not only will it remove those bars which can sometimes be visible, but it would also allow for a smoother ride.

Or at least that's what I though.
                              I agree -- and it will allow Disney to "point" the boats at the show scene ala the Doombuggies at the Haunted Mansion...
                              sigpic

Comment

I agree -- and it will allow Disney to "point" the boats at the show scene ala the Doombuggies at the Haunted Mansion...
                                Wait...wait...

I find the thought of a boat going sideways to look at one scene and then turning 180* around to look at another a bit...

Total Tender Rides: 20
                                Total Lilly Belle Rides: 9
                                Total Dapper Days Attended: 2
                                Total Mark Twain Wheelhouse Rides: 5

Comment

It will definitely enhance the overall ride experience. Not only will it allow the guide rails to possibly become less visible, it will also make it so the boat can bump, shift, tilt, speed-up or slow down in accordance to the scene. Can you imagine how awesome it would be if during the pirate ship battle scene in Pirates of the Caribbean, the boat rocked when "hit" by a cannon ball?!

Comment

Yeah, the boat is more like an EMV (like dillamond describes)... and less like an omnimover (tho I am sure it can point the audience in the right direction, but I think outside FX will be the reason it moves).

Just think, they can create totallllly manmade rapids with minimal water and SPACE (something that is limited at DLR), the above mentioned recation to cannons, think of the snake FX at Indy, an incline can be just as fast as RSR (and not like the lift on POTC). No "jams" anywhere on the ride ...so many possible things.

The point is for the imagineers to create the magic and not rely on the natural mechanics of water. If it is only 2x better than the vid I posted on the last page, it will be worlds away from anything that exists today.

Comment

[ATTACH=CONFIG]22246[/ATTACH]
                                      Simple... the motors themselves are not in the fluid. They transfer their effort through electromagnetic fields.. which can apply forces to the vehicles without any issue through the fluid. The advantage of a LIM is that it allows applying forces without being directly coupled together.

The magnets can be insulated away from the fluid.

---------- Post added 07-11-2012 at 11:33 PM ----------

Originally posted by Dillamond View Post
                                      It will definitely enhance the overall ride experience. Not only will it allow the guide rails to possibly become less visible, it will also make it so the boat can bump, shift, tilt, speed-up or slow down in accordance to the scene. Can you imagine how awesome it would be if during the pirate ship battle scene in Pirates of the Caribbean, the boat rocked when "hit" by a cannon ball?!
                                      While feasible - that is not what this patent is about. This patent is about a track and boggie system that uses electromagnets to pull a boat with two boggies along a track in a fluid basin. It's about having a boat ride, that the water doesn't propel the boat, and additionally, the track and boggie system is advanced to allow the boat's forward point to be manipulated by making the boggies go along two tracks.

It doesn't cover anything about effects in the boats other than speed and forward facing direction.

Originally posted by JMazz View Post
                                      Yeah, the boat is more like an EMV (like dillamond describes)... and less like an omnimover (tho I am sure it can point the audience in the right direction, but I think outside FX will be the reason it moves).
                                      No, quite the opposite. EMVs are self propelled, self contained vehicles that include onboard effects. Simply guided along a track by a boggie system that acts as a guide and power/comm point.

This system is not self propelled, but instead boats that will be dragged around by having a plate be pushed/dragged along a track by the motors in the track. The omnimover reference is applicable because people are used to how the original omnimover allowed vehicles to be rotated by the track.. so their viewing angle is controlled through the ride. This system is similar in that it's advantage is the boats will be able to be 'pointed' by the boggies going along two different tracks.

The big advantage is that the vehicles will be able to be accurately controlled and you get rid of the variances of propelling them simply with water currents. The positioning allows for new gimmicks and impressions the guests will not expect.

Boats can have variable speeds, they can stop, speed up, turn, and even run backwards. That's really what this patent is about.

Theories about articulated boats (like an EMV) maybe be true, but not covered by this patent.
                                      Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid

Am I evil? yes, I am
                                      Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

Originally posted by sleepyjeff
                                      Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

Comment

As far as I can tell this looks like they modified the WDW peoplemover system using boats. Very impressive.
                                        The fountain of youth really is in Florida... thats why they built Walt Disney World where they did.

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                        Working...
                                        X