Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Radiator Springs Racers: Can it handle the rain?

Collapse

Ad Widget

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Question] Radiator Springs Racers: Can it handle the rain?

So RSR went down today in the early afternoon and never reopened. I'm wondering if this has something to do with the rain? Has RSR ever been down for such a long period of time (almost half the day)? DCA was kind of struggling today in general - Screamin', Goofy's Sky School, RSR, and Grizzly were all down at the same time at one point - and poor ToT had to soak in the crowds and had a ridiculous wait (apparently it's been running with lower capacity lately?). Oh, and Monsters Inc. was down for a little bit, too.

What's going on, DCA?

Anywho, it drizzled pretty consistently all afternoon/evening, but if the ride shuts down in such a light drizzle, I'm worried about actual rain. Hopefully this ride doesn't become as notorious as Test Track for shutting down in the rain.

Re: Radiator Springs Racers: Can it handle the rain?

There was a power outage today at DCA. That is all. So, indirectly, the rain was involved, but I really don't think it directly caused RSR to go down.

Comment

Ah, that makes more sense. But does it really take 6 hours to recover from something like that? :/

Comment

Deserts are known for flash floods!

Comment

Originally posted by KevRus View Post
          Ah, that makes more sense. But does it really take 6 hours to recover from something like that? :/
          looking at the size of all of these rides, then i have to assume, yes. i was hoping that i'd be able to ride RSR in the rain, but sadly i wasted an hour of waiting in line i was also hoping to get evac'd on the ride, but my schedule basically ruined my chance.

aside from the terrible RSR downtime, i absolutely loved the weather in cars land! it hasn't rained in radiator springs for quite sometime considering it's a desert town. )

Comment

Hopefully this ride doesn't become as notorious as Test Track for shutting down in the rain.
            I would say that if this is true, then you may be able to expect similar results for RSR, since it's essentially the same ride system...
            "Here you leave Today and enter the world of Yesterday, Tomorrow, and Fantasy."

"There is really no secret about our approach. We keep moving forward - opening up new doors and doing new things - because we're curious. And curiosity keeps leading us down new paths. We're always exploring and experimenting. We call it 'Imagineering' - the blending of creative imagination with technical know-how."

-Walt Disney

Comment

^Test track goes MUST faster...I thin test tracks probelm is the rain combined with going 60 miles per hour is a bad idea..ours only goes UP to 35...and only for like a sec not like test track were its for like at least 10-20 seconds
              Happy Halloween!!!

Comment

I rode it 3 times. twice it broke down in line, and during the third it broke down again and we got to ho around again making it 4 times Ive been on it. All between sun-thurs. GSS breaks down alot too lol.
                sigpic

Comment

I'm not sure if speed really plays a factor. Plenty of coasters that exceed 60mph in amusement parks across the country stay open in the rain (I'm talking regular rain - not hurricane weather). It's really not painful - uncomfortable, maybe - but not painful. And Test Track definitely doesn't maintain its max speed for 10-20 seconds, but that'd be awesome if it did! )

Anyways, I'm interested to find out what the deal is! I still have a feeling the rain had something to do with all this.

Comment

Tires lose traction in the rain.
                    "Yeah, Disneyland has got some great rides, including "This one." That splashdown is Incredible! (it really is)" - J.E.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeno Entertainment View Post
                      Tires lose traction in the rain.
                      RSR is power by a motor underneath the vehicles that you can't see. Yes, there are tires, but they aren't being powered/braked.

Comment

Originally posted by MAH4546 View Post
                        Yes, there are tires, but they aren't being powered/braked.
                        Yes they are. RSR vehicles are essentially like electric cars with "guidance" rails beneath the track to keep the car properly in contact with the track. But they are very much driven by the rubber tires using an on-board electric motor, just like a real electric car. The rubber tires are also used for braking, again, just like a real car.

The power is supplied to the car from electrified rails beneath the track, and like I said, the rails underneath also help to steer the vehicle and keep it from lifting up off the track on the bunny hops, but an on-vehicle electric motor powers the rubber tires to make it go.

Comment

Here is a good thread to explain the RSR functionality. http://micechat.com/forums/cars-land...does-work.html

"We believed in our idea - a family park where parents and children could have fun- together."

-Walt Disney

Comment

I was there yesterday. RSR was down all day. I watched for a couple of hours and they tied to get it working but each time they re-started something would happen. Around 9:00 p.m. they had cars running and it looked like it might reopen. About 9:15 they announced it would not open at all. So it went down Thursday around 5:30 p.m. and was out all day Friday. Anyone know if it opened today?
                            Leonard
                            "Growing old is mandatory. Growing up is optional. I REFUSE!"

Comment

Hopefully this ride doesn't become as notorious as Test Track for shutting down in the rain.
                              I've always heard that when the rides in Disney World shut down in rain is because of the lightening aspect not simply because it is raining?

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X