Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cars Land was the last nail in the "Original Attraction" coffin...

Collapse

Get Away Today

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Cars Land was the last nail in the "Original Attraction" coffin...

I have very mixed feelings about all of this to be honest, I think most of us do. We all understand the business benefits to Disney of using these huge movie brands. We all understand that movies should have a role in the park's makeup. But as a fan of theme parks and Disneyland more then I am a fan of Disney films, which I do love as well, I really want to see something new. But I think my wish has become a pipe dream, and I'm ready to accept that.

As I said before, I think that theme park attractions are their own form of art. I also think to some extent that Disney has become the same amusement park operators that told Walt that Disneyland wouldn't work, and maybe that's a good thing. Maybe its about time for a new Walt to come along and shake up this industry. Maybe its good for Disney not to do original attractions because it opens up a space in the industry for competition to move in on a market Disney no longer wishes to exploit.

Comment

I guess the point is rather pointless, the discussion will be brought up endlessly no matter what happens,

Comment

Originally posted by tuxhero View Post
        I guess the point is rather pointless, the discussion will be brought up endlessly no matter what happens,
        The point was not to end the discussion, I know I can't stop that. The point was to actually further that discussion in its own thread. You have to be provocative if you want to get a good discussion going. The point was to discuss that it seems unlikely we'll see many more original attractions, whether we like that or not.

Comment

^I think a third park is our best bet at more "original" rides...I mean I hope Disney does not give up on them....look at Beuena Vista Street seems to be pretty busy only reason Carsland is busier is because of Racers
          Happy Halloween!!!

Comment

Originally posted by JerrodDRagon View Post
            ^I think a third park is our best bet at more "original" rides...I mean I hope Disney does not give up on them....look at Beuena Vista Street seems to be pretty busy only reason Carsland is busier is because of Racers
            I hope so, but I'm just more skeptical then ever before. BVS was one of the bright spots in DCA, but even there they felt like they had to include character references to satisfy some parts of the fan base. But DCA was a strange case that actually needed more characters as it really did start out with too few. Now it's gone too far the other way, but BVS parts of PP are somewhat exceptions in that they did put more effort into place-making.

Comment

^yeah but unlike the Pier it's not like most characters are just posted on rides to make them "Disney" they just put cool little reference here and there and they feel natural over just sticking a Mickey on a ride and calling it "better"
              Happy Halloween!!!

Comment

I don't know what to say in this I'm torn between well worked original rides and good quality rides like RSR. I'm just glad they have never had rights to use outside franchises and use characters they have created. The whole Carsland yes while branding I consider more of a tribute to Route 66 in all it's glory. Main Street for example yes the decrease in size of the Penny Arcade while sad I'm happy they still have the machines and you should too WDWs does not even exist anymore and the remaining machines in the train depot are BUSTED don't even get me started on the cinema. Just be glad for what is still there. See ya walkin' right down the middle of o'l Main Street USA

"THAT'S R
                IGHT CARNEGIE STEEL BUILT THIS PLACE"!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle Bob View Post
                  The point was to discuss that it seems unlikely we'll see many more original attractions, whether we like that or not.
                  We're unlikely to get original attractions right now, because Disney is being lead by a certain someone who prefers it that way. It doesn't mean things can't change in the future, especially since that certain someone has already said he is leaving very soon....
                  Last edited by choco choco; 07-13-2012, 09:19 PM.

Comment

I think there will come a time when we will see more original attractions again. Disney's current movie based business model of park development has one major thing going for it and against it: it's based on current popularity trends.

The original theme park model, as Walt invisioned it purposefully or not, worked because it created an immersive environment that allowed you as a person to visit another time and place and become a member of that different reality, to live a life that goes beyond the scope of your normal one for just a day. For just one day you become a person that lives in the height of the New Orleans' Jazz era, a small town at the turn of the century, the land where fairytales come from, or the great world that awaits humanity around the corner.

These places are somewhat timeless ideals (the glorified past stays glorified, the mysterious jungle remains mysterious, Fantasy will always be fantasy, and there will always be better tomorrow as long as we can envision it). We will always be interested in visiting and taking adventures in places such as theses.

Inside these places individual movie based attractions that support the environment they are contained in can work as they tell an individual story or adventure. However, they must blend in with the larger ideal of the land and live up to the test of time, and Disney is capable of doing this in instances of say Indiana Jones. Failing at the former is something that we can debate the impact of on these boards for a long time, failing at the later however is both bad thematically and bad for business (and in a way Disney hasn't seen yet).

Movies which are made into attractions, not yet proven to stand the test of time, are at risk of becoming obsolete before Disney nets the profits they really desire out of them. They need replacing and updating more often to keep up with current popularity trends.

Now in the long run this isn't a terrible problem for individual attractions as they most likely return their investment plus their expect profit before they require to be put into retirement, but the same can't be said for these movie based lands that Disney seems to now be focusing on.

Two fold problems exist here. First unlike visiting say a place which represents a timeless ideal for you to be living in as a person, you are visiting a pre-determined world where you are more an observer or sightseer (a fly on the wall) rather than an adventurer, explorer, or member of that place/society. Observing another world, no matter how well created, gets tiresome in repeated visits much quicker than being an active participant in one. Second, and the simpler problem at that, these individual movies that these lands are being built on are not ones yet proven to stand tests of time, so what happens if 10 years from now they are not as popular as they are today?

And these two things above is why we will eventually see Disney create original attractions in the future I think. These single movie based lands will become, for lack of a better word, old. They will tire quicker with repeated visits, and they fall out of popular culture. They will not become the behemoths of Disneyana that attractions like Haunted Mansion and lands like New Orleans have become, and they will eventually need to be replaced if Disney doesn't want to look their parks are old and tired.

If this happens, then I predict we will see a change and a switch back to original attraction. This is simply because a business model which works VERY well short term, ends up become a financial burden long term. If or when Disney realizes this, then the original theme park attraction will live again.

Until then I fear we are mostly limited by the current movie base business model....but one can alway hope otherwise!!

Hope you enjoy my two cents worth !

Comment

^ Very well said!!
                      "Disneyland is often called a magic kingdom because
                      it combines fantasy and history, adventure and learning,
                      together with every variety of recreation and fun,
                      designed to appeal to everyone."

- Walt Disney

"Disneyland is all about turning movies into rides."
                      - Michael Eisner

"It's very symbiotic."
                      - Bob Chapek

Comment

Originally posted by manifest View Post
                        anytime a Swiss Family Treehouse gets changed into a Tarzan Treehouse...
                        Huh?

Swiss Family Robinson (film) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Swiss Family Treehouse at Yesterland

It was never an original attraction...

Comment

Disneyland will never be complete as long as imagination is left in the world

Comment

I love Disney! No complaints here , I only see awesomeness a brewing
                            Im here for fun and info not be a bully! Carsland here I come:yea:

Comment

Let's take a look at the attractions Disney has developed for the US parks over the years since Eisner took office. Blue means open, red means closed, and bolded italic means original, non franchised based attraction.

Captain EO (1986-1997, 2010
                              The Living Seas (1986-2005)

Star Tours (1987-2010)

Norway
                              Maelstrom

Wonders of Life (1989-2007)
                              Body Wars (1989-2007)
                              Cranium Command (1989-2007)
                              The Making of Me (1989-2007)
                              Delta Dreamflight (1989-1998)

Magic of Disney Animation
                              The Great Movie Ride
                              Indiana Jones Epic Stunt Spectacular
                              Superstar Television (1989-1998)
                              The Monster Sound Show (1989-1996)
                              Studio Backlot Tour
                              Splash Mountain

Honey I Shrunk the Kids: Movie Set Adventure

Beauty and the Beast Live on Stage
                              Disney Afternoon Avenue (1991-1991)
                              Muppet*Vision 3D
                              SpectroMagic (1991-2010)

Fantasmic!
                              Voyage of the Little Mermaid

Honey I Shrunk the Audience! (1994-2010)
                              Innoventions
                              Legend of the Lion King (1994-2002)
                              ExtraTERRORestrial Alien Encounter (1994-2003)
                              The Twilight Zone Tower of Terror
                              The Timekeeper (1994-2006)

Circle of Life: An Environmental Fable
                              Indiana Jones Adventure

Spirit of Pocahontas (1995-1996)

Light Magic (1997-1997)

Animation Academy
                              Buzz Lightyear Space Ranger Spin

Enchanted Tiki Room: Under New Management (1998-2011)

Rocket Rods (1998-2001)
                              DINOSAUR

Kilimanjaro Safaris
                              Discovery River Boats (1998-1999)

Doug: Live! (1999-2001)
                              IllumiNations: Reflections of Earth
                              ImageWorks
                              Journey Into YOUR Imagination (1999-2001)
                              Kali River Rapids

Millennium Village (1999-2001)
                              Sounds Dangerous! Starring Drew Carrey (1999-2011)
                              Tapestry of Nations (1999-2001)

Test Track

Golden Dreams (2001-2008)

Maliboomer (2001-2011)
                              Superstar Limo (2001-2002)
                              Sun Wheel (2001-2008)

Mulholland Madness (2001-2011)
                              Orange Stinger (2001-2010)

Journey Into Imagination with Figment
                              TriceraTop Spin
                              Primeval Whirl

Mission: SPACE
                              Reflections of China

Lights, Motors, Action! Extreme Stunt Show
                              The Seas with Nemo & Friends

Expedition Everest
                              Monsters, Inc. Mike & Sulley to the Rescue!

Finding Nemo Submarine Voyage
                              Finding Nemo the Musical
                              Gran Fiesta Tour Starring the Three Caballeros
                              Monsters, Inc. Laugh Floor

Pixie Hollow
                              Toy Story Midway Mania!

World of Color
                              Silly Symphony Swings

Red Car Trolley

Princess Fairytale Hall

Seven Dwarfs Mine Train

If you look at it you will see that the last time the US got a totally original attraction was Expedition Everest in 2006 (unless you count the RCT). Before then there was Lights, Motors, Action! in 2005, the Mission: SPACE in 2003. The last time Disneyland Resort got an original attraction (besides the opening of DCA) was Rocket Rods in 1998 which has since been taken out.

I think there needs to be a balance between original and franchise rides. I have to agree with you slightly Uncle Bob. While there can and should be a lot of rides based on characters, every once and a while we need something new. It's not fair that the OP is being criticized for voicing his opinion.

Comment

I've been thinking about what I want to say on this thread, and realized that it's been already been said. Here's a post (not mine) from Disboards.com that says it better than I could. Note that this post is three years old. This poster, whoever he is, called it back in '09.

Anyone else hear about an Adult Only Park at WDW? - Page 7 - The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com
                                Disneyland Historic Preservation Society
                                Charter Member

Comment

Originally posted by DaHatTrick View Post
                                  Disneyland will never be complete as long as Pixar is left in the world
                                  Fixed.

Comment

Too bad there isn't another World's Fair like in '64 which provided Walt and the Imagineers a chance to stretch their creative muscles in new ways. Out of that we got Carousel of Progress (which also led to America Sings, another original), Ford Magic Skyway/Primeval World, Small World (which also turned Pirates into a boat ride) and Lincoln/animatronics developments. They also saw competing technology that they improved upon for the Omnimover system, giving Adventure Thru Inner Space and Haunted Mansion their ride systems.

These are all original attractions but the company had limited financial exposure and risk to develop due to being contracted for these projects by outside sources.

Comment

Cars Land is not the nail in the coffin. No need for sadness or the loss of creativity here. Originality is still present. We just have to wait for it patiently. I'm sure somebody else has already posted a list but we still have original attractions in DLR:

1. Disneyland Railroad (other than the references to other franchise-based attractions and characters)
                                      2. Main Street Vehicles
                                      3. Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln
                                      4. Walt's Disney's Enchanted Tiki Room
                                      5. The Jungle Cruise (excluding the references to Indy and the brief cameo of Mufasa's Broadway face)
                                      6. The Haunted Mansion
                                      7. Mark Twain Riverboat (excluding Mike Fink and Davy Crockett's voices)
                                      8. Sailing Ship Columbia
                                      9. Space Mountain
                                      10. Autopia
                                      11. Monorail
                                      12. Grizzly River Run
                                      13. Soarin' (excluding the quick shot of the man in Mickey Mouse ears and Disneyland at the end)
                                      14. Redwood Creek Challenge Trail (excluding the brief overlays with characters)
                                      15. Red Car Trolley
                                      16. Buena Vista Street (excluding the shops named after vintage characters)
                                      17. California Screamin'
                                      18. Matterhorn Bobsleds
                                      19. Big Thunder Mountain Railroad
                                      20. Innoventions (other than all the big companies represented inside. The idea was alright but it wasn't executed correctly)

If the rumors are true, we can expect to see the Big Grizzly Mountain Runaway Mine Cars possibly making their away into DCA in the near future. If this true, it's fantastic. Although Big Thunder can be considered similar and the fact that there isn't much room for an attraction of the sort, this is an original attraction not based on a franchise that would fit in perfectly with the Golden State. Cars Land is not the end of it. In a way it's just a part of DLR history and its lifetime.
                                      "Y'all come back now, ya hear?"

Comment

Originally posted by MANEATINGWREATH View Post
                                        If the rumors are true, we can expect to see the Big Grizzly Mountain Runaway Mine Cars possibly making their away into DCA in the near future.
                                        But they are not true. DCA will never get this ride due to space constraints. Anyways, I always thought people were such against cloning.

Comment

Originally posted by WDW1971 View Post
                                          But they are not true. DCA will never get this ride due to space constraints. Anyways, I always thought people were such against cloning.
                                          Well if they did make the ride...it would only be a clone in the sense of the idea.....but our mountain is SOOO different from there if they did add a ride like it...it would be so different no one would call it a clone

The ride COULD be add....you'd start in the redwood creek area..after going around there a little..you'd go under ground and go inside the mountain a little...and mainly travel on the backside of the mountain (near the Carthy circle) then make your way back.....also could use the "mine cart" tech being used in Florida
                                          Happy Halloween!!!

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                          Working...
                                          X