Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cars Land was the last nail in the "Original Attraction" coffin...

Collapse

Get Away Today

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Cars Land was the last nail in the "Original Attraction" coffin...

Here is a list of the character based attractions that I think were not built to the best potential of the movies and do not fit in with the theme of the park:

MAGIC KINGDOM
    Magic Carpets of Aladdin
    Monsters, Inc. Laugh Floor
    Stitch’s Great Escape

EPCOT
    The Seas with Nemo & Friends (pavilion name)
    Agent P’s World Showcase Adventure
    Gran Fiesta Tour Starring the Three Caballeros

HOLLYWOOD STUDIOS
    Honey, I Shrunk the Kids Movie Set Adventure

ANIMAL KINGDOM
    Finding Nemo the Musical

DISNEYLAND
    Finding Nemo Submarine Voyage
    Gadget’s Go Coaster

DISNEY CALIFORNIA ADVENTURE
    A Bug’s Land
    Goofy’s Sky School
    King Triton’s Carousel
    Voyage of the Little Mermaid
    Mater’s Junkyard Jamboree
    Mickey’s Fun Wheel
    Monsters, Inc. Mike & Sulley to the Rescue!
    Turtle Talk with Crush

Comment

I think part of the issue people always seem to ignore is that Disney didn't have nearly as many films to pull from when they first opened as they do now. Disney=films. Period. People come to see the films brought to life, hence their success with those attractions. They're not designing and building for purist. They're designing for the public, and the public wants to see Disney at Disneyland. It's where they belong. I love an original attraction just fine, but I don't invest nearly as much in them because they feel less Disney to me. This is why I don't understand the point of parks like Epcot and enjoy the changes to DCA.

Comment

^your right....except for Big Thunder, Space, Scream, Grizzly, Pirates, HM, Matterhorn, small world, autopia, Soarin....you know just some of the rides with the longest lines and and many of which have lasted the longest with out needing to be changed

Heck even ToT and Splash are based off something but most people under 20 have never seen either and like them because the rides are good not because of the source materiel

Walt also wanted to make rides like the Subs and Monorail which were to be unique to his parks not be based of some movie to make a quick buck, he made both types of rides for balance some to let you live through his classics (yeah Snow white was 20 years old by then) and others to be fun adventures that you can only do in Disneyland....
        Happy Halloween!!!

Comment

Originally posted by JerrodDRagon View Post
          ^your right....except for Big Thunder, Space, Scream, Grizzly, Pirates, HM, Matterhorn, small world, autopia, Soarin....you know just some of the rides with the longest lines and and many of which have lasted the longest with out needing to be changed

Heck even ToT and Splash are based off something but most people under 20 have never seen either and like them because the rides are good not because of the source materiel

Walt also wanted to make rides like the Subs and Monorail which were to be unique to his parks not be based of some movie to make a quick buck, he made both types of rides for balance some to let you live through his classics (yeah Snow white was 20 years old by then) and others to be fun adventures that you can only do in Disneyland....
          1. you're

2. i never said those rides weren't popular, I said I don't connect to them as much.

3. They wouldn't make a "quick buck" if the demand for film based attractions wasn't high.

4. The fact that those original rides are popular only goes to show that the balance in the parks is still strong, they just haven't made NEW attractions not based on films. It's still a film studio.

Comment

If we are stuck with attractions based off existing franchises, could we at least get some attractions that are not based on animated characters or Johnny Depp?

Comment

Originally posted by DARTH MAUL View Post
              1. you're

2. i never said those rides weren't popular, I said I don't connect to them as much.

3. They wouldn't make a "quick buck" if the demand for film based attractions wasn't high.

4. The fact that those original rides are popular only goes to show that the balance in the parks is still strong, they just haven't made NEW attractions not based on films. It's still a film studio.
              So we should not get more...because we have some already?

Your a very small part of what most people say....Pirates and HM are almost always on the top rides list for disneyland along with the other rides i listed...

They have been for years....Pooh makes them more money then the country bears ever did but guess what the Pooh ride is a lazy cloned dark ride that never has a line...

Also Disney is not just a film studio...there resorts easily male more money then the movies they make there are 1 million Aps for Disneyland along....with the lowest prices now thats like 250 million but more likely around the 350 million...and thats just Ap's at one park..not including food, toys sold...hotels
              Happy Halloween!!!

Comment

Originally posted by DARTH MAUL View Post
                I think part of the issue people always seem to ignore is that Disney didn't have nearly as many films to pull from when they first opened as they do now. Disney=films. Period. People come to see the films brought to life, hence their success with those attractions. They're not designing and building for purist. They're designing for the public, and the public wants to see Disney at Disneyland. It's where they belong.
                By that logic, people who go to Busch Gardens should be extremely disappointed because not every attraction has something to do w/ beer. I mean, if Disney=films, Busch=beer. So why isn't there a Lager Land, a Dunkel Drive, a Pilsner Place? A show featuring dancing beer steins? Walkaround characters dressed as monks? Either somebody's asleep at the switch...or a theme park doesn't have to be a recursive feedback loop to the parent company.

Not everyone expects to be shilled and hawked at every step of the way, unless you are a lifestyle consumer who has branded yourself w/ Disney. The branded lifestyle audience (BLA) is a much easier sale, as it tends to be less demanding and extremely loyal. Disney has spent the last several years reinventing itself as an IP management and marketing company rather than a creative one, and has chosen to target the BLA as part of this strategy.

I love an original attraction just fine, but I don't invest nearly as much in them because they feel less Disney to me. This is why I don't understand the point of parks like Epcot and enjoy the changes to DCA.
                The point of EPCOT? The point of EPCOT used to be to travel around the world in two or three days, to visit the worlds of oceanography, computers, imagination, and human communication. Anymore, I'm not really sure what the point of EPCOT is, unless it's to make sure you have even more iterations of "Finding Nemo" or to try and revive Ellen DeGeneres' career.
                Disneyland Historic Preservation Society
                Charter Member

Comment

I for one would love a good original attraction but I also love character based attractions that tell new stories. What I could do without is the 5 minute retelling of the movie storyline.

Also rides people keep mentioning as orignal that actually had/have film ties like the matterhorn, the subs (20,000 leagues under the sea) and swiss family robinson treehouse
                  BGood! It's not just my motto its my name!

Comment

I'll give you the treehouse, but the Subs and the Matterhorn were not based on any franchise. Yes, they were developed based on ideas used in TMotM and 20KLUtS, but there was no "five-minute" story retelling. An example of that (sort of) would have been the 20K Subs in WDW.

Comment

Originally posted by JerrodDRagon View Post
                      Also Disney is not just a film studio...there resorts easily male more money then the movies they make there are 1 million Aps for Disneyland along....with the lowest prices now thats like 250 million but more likely around the 350 million...and thats just Ap's at one park..not including food, toys sold...hotels
                      *their

Comment

Originally posted by ww12345 View Post
                        I'll give you the treehouse, but the Subs and the Matterhorn were not based on any franchise. Yes, they were developed based on ideas used in TMotM and 20KLUtS, but there was no "five-minute" story retelling. An example of that (sort of) would have been the 20K Subs in WDW.
                        You do understand based on means taking inspiration from the film right?

Comment

No, I disagree. For example, the Jungle Cruise took inspiration from the African Queen. Do we get a story told to us based on the African Queen, or even the jungle? I don't think so; I think that you get an "experience" based on the setting of the jungle, as inspired by classic "jungle" movies like the African Queen.

Now let's look at the Matterhorn. Sure, Walt took inspiration from the movie "Third Man on the Mountain," but I've seen that movie a few times, and I don't remember a Yeti. Come to think of it, I don't remember the epic bobsledding scene from that movie either.

How about the original subs? Movie: A journey with a slightly crazy captain intent on destroying weapons of war and bringing science to the newly industrial world. Ride: A journey beneath the polar ice cap with a captain who seems pretty benevolent.

I agree that rides can take inspiration from movies, which is fine, but I am of the opinion that Disneyland should be more than that. Yes, immersive environments from the movies can look neat in real life, but could you imagine Disneyland lands based solely on movie franchises instead of "inspired" places? I think that stronger relationships can be based on "inspired" places rather than movie places because you create your own story, rather than being led through a series of observed scenes. Last I checked, "Ride the Movies" was Universal's motto.

Comment

This argument is flawed. I mean you have Tower of Terror (although more then one park has this attraction, the story is original) Soarin, the new roller coaster at Hong Kong (and Mystic Manor on the way.) Just because some of the newest attractions are based on films doesn't mean Disney will never do original stories again. The thing with Cars Land is you really don't have to even like or know the movie to appreciate the land and its attractions. They tell the story as well.
                            Jeff Wayne

Comment

Originally posted by Broadway Guru View Post
                              By that logic, people who go to Busch Gardens should be extremely disappointed because not every attraction has something to do w/ beer. I mean, if Disney=films, Busch=beer. So why isn't there a Lager Land, a Dunkel Drive, a Pilsner Place? A show featuring dancing beer steins? Walkaround characters dressed as monks? Either somebody's asleep at the switch...or a theme park doesn't have to be a recursive feedback loop to the parent company.

Not everyone expects to be shilled and hawked at every step of the way, unless you are a lifestyle consumer who has branded yourself w/ Disney. The branded lifestyle audience (BLA) is a much easier sale, as it tends to be less demanding and extremely loyal. Disney has spent the last several years reinventing itself as an IP management and marketing company rather than a creative one, and has chosen to target the BLA as part of this strategy....
                              ...the Jungle Cruise took inspiration from the African Queen. Do we get a story told to us based on the African Queen, or even the jungle? I don't think so; I think that you get an "experience" based on the setting of the jungle, as inspired by classic "jungle" movies like the African Queen.

Now let's look at the Matterhorn. Sure, Walt took inspiration from the movie "Third Man on the Mountain," but I've seen that movie a few times, and I don't remember a Yeti. Come to think of it, I don't remember the epic bobsledding scene from that movie either.

How about the original subs? Movie: A journey with a slightly crazy captain intent on destroying weapons of war and bringing science to the newly industrial world. Ride: A journey beneath the polar ice cap with a captain who seems pretty benevolent.

I agree that rides can take inspiration from movies, which is fine, but I am of the opinion that Disneyland should be more than that. Yes, immersive environments from the movies can look neat in real life, but could you imagine Disneyland lands based solely on movie franchises instead of "inspired" places? I think that stronger relationships can be based on "inspired" places rather than movie places because you create your own story, rather than being led through a series of observed scenes. Last I checked, "Ride the Movies" was Universal's motto.
                              Excellent posts, both. One of the sorriest symbols of Disney's decline in innovation at its domestic theme parks is its blatant appropriation of Universal's "Ride the Movies" motto. When Michael declared "Disneyland is all about turning Movies into Rides," the company whose name once was synonymous with innovation was reduced to mimicking not only its movies and the movies of others, but its theme park competition.
                              "Disneyland is often called a magic kingdom because
                              it combines fantasy and history, adventure and learning,
                              together with every variety of recreation and fun,
                              designed to appeal to everyone."

- Walt Disney

"Disneyland is all about turning movies into rides."
                              - Michael Eisner

"It's very symbiotic."
                              - Bob Chapek

Comment

No, I disagree. For example, the Jungle Cruise took inspiration from the African Queen. Do we get a story told to us based on the African Queen, or even the jungle? I don't think so; I think that you get an "experience" based on the setting of the jungle, as inspired by classic "jungle" movies like the African Queen.

I agree with you completely Disneyland and the Disney parks should be more then Disney ride through the storyline. The originals are my favorites. I hope with the possible expansion of DL we see a return to that with at least one of the new attractions

Comment

You would think that after a while, having something totally original would become a selling point for the park. "Here's something you can't get at any other park, or see in any movie... the only way to experience this is to come here..."

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Weaver View Post
                                    You would think that after a while, having something totally original would become a selling point for the park. "Here's something you can't get at any other park, or see in any movie... the only way to experience this is to come here..."
                                    That would be my thought! I can also see the selling point of come visit radiator springs a place that does not really exist. But here is a retelling of a movie while you ride past not so much. An advertising machine like Disney could easily sell a new original idea they just need the spine to do it.

Comment

Disney should be an originator of trends in pop culture, not a follower.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Weaver View Post
                                        Disney should be an originator of trends in pop culture, not a follower.
                                        That is Walt's true legacy, innovation! Walt created and invented so many things in film and for Disneyland that are just taken for granted now. The company needs his foresite and his willingness to risk everything to get that vision across. Its time to let WDI loose and see what they can do. Carsland proves they can still create immersive areas and attractions now lets see that from the idea on up and create something original.

Comment

Sadly I think especially in the face of the horrible failure that John Carter of Mars became at the box office, we will see even less risks being taken at "Disney" now. I say Disney because there is no longer the "Walt Disney Pictures" it has become "Disney" you will notice this in the new logo which made it's debut last year.

The board and the financial purse holders at Disney Corp. will not be willing to take gambles on unknown properties, hence we are seeing more of the Disney/Pixar films in the pipe line all being sequels of established franchises. This mindset will certainly also dictate development dollars being spent on attractions at the "Parks" We will continue to see "new" attractions based on existing properties/franchises only IMHO.

There will hopefully be some exceptions to this rule, but I do think that for the next 10 years we will see films and attractions which are all based on "Established" franchises.

I certainly wish this was not the case, although until someone takes over the Disney board with enough power and control to sway the financial decisions of the company, I do not see it going any other way.

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                          Working...
                                          X