Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

People with disabilities should be treated like others... including having to WAIT!

Collapse

Get Away Today

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: People with disabilities should be treated like others... including having to WAI

Originally posted by Quentin View Post
    I think people are upset with the fact Disney doesn't deal with them. They just let people go on breaking the rules.
    Better to let a few people break the rules than punish someone who really needs a GAC.
    "Greetings, Starfighter! You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Xur and the Ko-Dan Armada."

Comment

Re: People with disabilities should be treated like others... including having to WAI

The ones that are not really disabled, and are saying that they are by asking for GAC privileges, should be ashamed of themselves. It is not up to me to police the public. Disney has a system in place, and unless it changes to where everyone has to provide proof, people are on the honor system. I am one of those people who very rarely ever bends the rules. It just makes me very uncomfortable.
      BarbaraAnn

Comment

When you see someone going in through the exit, you feel upset because you have to wait and you perceive them as having privileges you don't.

What you don't see is how long it takes for that person to get started in the morning. That other attempts to visit the park were canceled because they were having a bad day. That it's 2:30pm and they've barely gotten to the park, whereas you've been there since 8:00am. That it took 20 minutes to get on the tram because there was a line on the ramp, or they loaded strollers in the disabled section, whereas everyone else just walked on. That it takes a long time to get from ride to ride. That the rest of the party is secretly frustrated because that person can't get around like a normal person, or because you want to run to the next ride like everyone else but that person needs to sit and rest again.

I know because that's what happens to me. I feel terrible admitting this, but when I go with my mom I get so frustrated.

As for those who abuse the GAC, it makes me sick. I once stood behind a young couple who basically admitted that they weren't disabled. They giggled so mischievously after the CM questioned them. Ick.

I could never, ever do that. I've never even been tempted to do so -- because I know what the real disabled parties are going through. When I go with my boyfriend, I am relieved to wait in the regular lines.
        Check out the MICECHAT Duffy Forum
        :love:Bringing the Love since January 10, 2011:love:

Comment

It has been a few years now since I left DL as a CM, but from my time as an Attractions CM, I have seen how things have changed with backdoor policies. When I worked there in the late 1990s, a lot of the older rides still had to use exits because their queues were not ADA compliant and were grandfathered out of the requirement. For a long time people with the passes expected auto-boarding, and blamed us when they couldn't get on right away. Then it got worse at a place like Indy, whose queue was ADA compliant, and I would get yelled at there because I would redirect people to the main line who had been backdoored everywhere else all day. Later I learned that some attractions had certain vehicles specifically meant for backdoor guests, either for custom seats and boarding assistance, or just to make sure both the main and the backdoor lines flowed as best as they could.

Yes, I as a CM did get pissy at times because I felt this or that particular group were abusing the system, but at the end of the day, what could I do about it? Do I make them wait longer because I feel like they deserve it for being abusive? Do I call them out on it and make them wait in the main line anyway? Well, the law has a word for that kind of thing, and that's discrimination. So at the end of the day, I had to make the decision to go along to get along, and to understand that it is what it is. No one group of patrons had an advantage over the other, and at the end of the day, the experience was roughly the same for both groups.

It really is unfortunate that some can ruin the experience for all. But from my experience, it was so far and few between that it really didn't matter. If a particular group was abusing the system, or was feeling a little high and mighty, I just looked at it as 'the sooner they're away from us, the better. At least I can spend a few extra minutes chatting with the next family in the backdoor line, who are a lot nicer.'

Comment

I can't imagine what it feels like to be someone who lets very minor issues ruin their day at Disneyland. The GAC system has virtually zero impact on my day... even with the abuse. How much extra time do I really end up spending in line because of the GAC system? Maybe a few minutes at the most for the entire day? Big deal. It's the least I can do so that the truly disabled individuals can have the same opportunity to have a great experience at Disneyland. I suggest most people who claim to have an ounce of compassion and empathy do the same without whining about it and move on with their day.

Comment

I have no problem allowing a person with a disability to go ahead!
              Dave

Comment

Originally posted by calsig31 View Post
                Better to let a few people break the rules than punish someone who really needs a GAC.
                I think this is t he main reason that it isn't enforced. How could they possibly do this, without punishing truly disabled people?
                http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...oto-heavy.html
                http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ip-report.html
                http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...something.html

No matter where you go, there you are.

Comment

I just determined a fair compromise. Disabled persons should be made to wait like able-bodied person in the park. Outside the park, able-bodied persons should be made to use wheel chairs, motorized scooters, or maybe even bed ridden and unable to attend the park like many people with disabilities.

This sounds like a fair trade.

Or maybe, just maybe, you can put things in perspective and thank God everyday that you have the ability to move under your own volition without assistance. If you're thankful for what you do have, letting someone less fortunate than you jump ahead of you just doesn't seem that bad. Heck, maybe you can take a little joy that you helped make a disabled person visit just a tad more tolerable.

I think that's it! Find joy in helping others and supporting rules that help those that are less fortunate than yourself.

Now how do I get off this soap box....
                  This is my signature. There are many like it but this one is mine.

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X