Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

People with disabilities should be treated like others... including having to WAIT!

Collapse

Get Away Today

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DJM
    replied
    Re: People with disabilities should be treated like others... including having to WAI

I just determined a fair compromise. Disabled persons should be made to wait like able-bodied person in the park. Outside the park, able-bodied persons should be made to use wheel chairs, motorized scooters, or maybe even bed ridden and unable to attend the park like many people with disabilities.

This sounds like a fair trade.

Or maybe, just maybe, you can put things in perspective and thank God everyday that you have the ability to move under your own volition without assistance. If you're thankful for what you do have, letting someone less fortunate than you jump ahead of you just doesn't seem that bad. Heck, maybe you can take a little joy that you helped make a disabled person visit just a tad more tolerable.

I think that's it! Find joy in helping others and supporting rules that help those that are less fortunate than yourself.

Now how do I get off this soap box....

Leave a comment:

• sbk1234
    replied
    Re: People with disabilities should be treated like others... including having to WAI

Originally posted by calsig31 View Post
    Better to let a few people break the rules than punish someone who really needs a GAC.
    I think this is t he main reason that it isn't enforced. How could they possibly do this, without punishing truly disabled people?

Leave a comment:

• bigwavedave
    replied

I have no problem allowing a person with a disability to go ahead!

Leave a comment:

• BrodyDanger
    replied

I can't imagine what it feels like to be someone who lets very minor issues ruin their day at Disneyland. The GAC system has virtually zero impact on my day... even with the abuse. How much extra time do I really end up spending in line because of the GAC system? Maybe a few minutes at the most for the entire day? Big deal. It's the least I can do so that the truly disabled individuals can have the same opportunity to have a great experience at Disneyland. I suggest most people who claim to have an ounce of compassion and empathy do the same without whining about it and move on with their day.

Leave a comment:

• amyuilani
    replied

It has been a few years now since I left DL as a CM, but from my time as an Attractions CM, I have seen how things have changed with backdoor policies. When I worked there in the late 1990s, a lot of the older rides still had to use exits because their queues were not ADA compliant and were grandfathered out of the requirement. For a long time people with the passes expected auto-boarding, and blamed us when they couldn't get on right away. Then it got worse at a place like Indy, whose queue was ADA compliant, and I would get yelled at there because I would redirect people to the main line who had been backdoored everywhere else all day. Later I learned that some attractions had certain vehicles specifically meant for backdoor guests, either for custom seats and boarding assistance, or just to make sure both the main and the backdoor lines flowed as best as they could.

Yes, I as a CM did get pissy at times because I felt this or that particular group were abusing the system, but at the end of the day, what could I do about it? Do I make them wait longer because I feel like they deserve it for being abusive? Do I call them out on it and make them wait in the main line anyway? Well, the law has a word for that kind of thing, and that's discrimination. So at the end of the day, I had to make the decision to go along to get along, and to understand that it is what it is. No one group of patrons had an advantage over the other, and at the end of the day, the experience was roughly the same for both groups.

It really is unfortunate that some can ruin the experience for all. But from my experience, it was so far and few between that it really didn't matter. If a particular group was abusing the system, or was feeling a little high and mighty, I just looked at it as 'the sooner they're away from us, the better. At least I can spend a few extra minutes chatting with the next family in the backdoor line, who are a lot nicer.'

Leave a comment:

• The First Star
    replied

When you see someone going in through the exit, you feel upset because you have to wait and you perceive them as having privileges you don't.

What you don't see is how long it takes for that person to get started in the morning. That other attempts to visit the park were canceled because they were having a bad day. That it's 2:30pm and they've barely gotten to the park, whereas you've been there since 8:00am. That it took 20 minutes to get on the tram because there was a line on the ramp, or they loaded strollers in the disabled section, whereas everyone else just walked on. That it takes a long time to get from ride to ride. That the rest of the party is secretly frustrated because that person can't get around like a normal person, or because you want to run to the next ride like everyone else but that person needs to sit and rest again.

I know because that's what happens to me. I feel terrible admitting this, but when I go with my mom I get so frustrated.

As for those who abuse the GAC, it makes me sick. I once stood behind a young couple who basically admitted that they weren't disabled. They giggled so mischievously after the CM questioned them. Ick.

I could never, ever do that. I've never even been tempted to do so -- because I know what the real disabled parties are going through. When I go with my boyfriend, I am relieved to wait in the regular lines.

Leave a comment:

• Barbaraann
    replied

The ones that are not really disabled, and are saying that they are by asking for GAC privileges, should be ashamed of themselves. It is not up to me to police the public. Disney has a system in place, and unless it changes to where everyone has to provide proof, people are on the honor system. I am one of those people who very rarely ever bends the rules. It just makes me very uncomfortable.

Leave a comment:

• calsig31
    replied

Originally posted by Quentin View Post
    I think people are upset with the fact Disney doesn't deal with them. They just let people go on breaking the rules.
    Better to let a few people break the rules than punish someone who really needs a GAC.

Leave a comment:

• Barbaraann
    replied

If the handicapped person is traveling with a large group of people, they are all allowed the special boarding priveleges. Disney keeps the party together, rather than splitting it up. I believe the maximum is 6. I can see how this might set off some people's radar. Since a lot of boarding is done at the exit, many people getting on the ride see a large group getting on the ride before them, and they wonder why. Now if they have waited a very long time, they might feel cheated in some way.

Leave a comment:

• Quentin
    replied

Originally posted by Barbaraann View Post
    I am usually enjoying myself too much at Disneyland, to worry about rulebreakers. Let Disney deal with them. As for the system as it is now, my experience has been that it works pretty fairly.
    I think people are upset with the fact Disney doesn't deal with them. They just let people go on breaking the rules.

Leave a comment:

• Barbaraann
    replied

I'm sure if a poll was added to this thread, you would find out that most people are quite compassionate. There are many who try and break the rules, and or bend them to their own liking. I have toured the parks with friends who have used the system correctly, and we have never encountered rude people, or gotten any funny looks or snide remarks.

---------- Post added 07-16-2012 at 11:14 AM ----------

Actually the wait time is just a guess most times. I really don't think that Disney is going to institute a system whereby a clock is put on people with disabilities. There are too many different scenarios that have a bearing on when a person boards a ride. This is true for the standard line, a fastpass line, and the method for the disabled.

I am usually enjoying myself too much at Disneyland, to worry about rulebreakers. Let Disney deal with them. As for the system as it is now, my experience has been that it works pretty fairly.

Leave a comment:

• Dr. G
    replied

It sure makes me nervous to read threads like this. My wife has to be in a wheelchair for the first time at Disneyland for our trip this fall. She looks perfectly healthy but just cannot walk for more than a few minutes at a time. It's going to be really hard to hear judgmental people around us complaining that she looks healthy and shouldn't be in a chair. Believe me, we wish she was healthy too. We don't like the wheelchair, but are grateful for it. I'm not looking forward to having healthy people try to dampen our spirits at Disneyland--our spirits are already having a hard time with the illness as it is. Disneyland is supposed to help us forget all that for awhile and enjoy time with our children. We'll still have a good time. It's actually probably better that threads like this have forewarned us to the potential insensitivity of others. Better to be prepared...

All I can say is this: Life has a way of helping you understand things you don't understand. If you think being handicapped is a piece of cake and that handicapped people can and should do everything just like everyone else. Well, hopefully you won't have to find out first-hand some day that you are wrong. Our personal experience is that we wish my wife could be healthy. Judge not... Karma's coming

Leave a comment:

• Stormy
    replied

J- Not sure if we're 'stricter', but probably more litigious!! LOL.

Leave a comment:

• JMazz
    replied

Thx stormy...
    I am a medical assnt by trade, and HIPPA was shoved down our throats (for good reason). I wanted to know if California was even more strict than the federal laws that are in place.

As an example, the state of CA has a higher minimum wage law (as does NV where I am at now) compared to the federal standard.

I guess I didn't make myself clear when I asked the question, but I think it was a case of insomniac posting! LOL. I should know better than to try and make sense in a state like that and go back to just reading others posts... and post when I am more awake later in the day.

Leave a comment:

• Prometheus
    replied

I've seen a lot of "fake" disabled people and I have been told SO MANY complaints from other guests that they are obviously healthy....

Leave a comment:

• Quentin
    replied

There is only one group of people who deserve front of the line access. People who are terminally ill. As I understand Disney offers this or at least used to. I think they get like a Fast Pass card. My neighbors went with their daughter to Disney World and had this privilege. I believe they had to provide proof. They used it occasionally but felt guilty and waited in regular lines too. But I would have no problem letting someone with 2 months predicted left to live go ahead of me in line, however if this privilege was given out like GAC are, based on the honor system I would be a little concerned. I think that is what the OP is getting at.

Leave a comment:

• ColonelWalrus
    replied

I'm mostly fine with disabled people getting on rides quicker than regular guests. I have my health, and more importantly, I go to Disneyland to experience the park and the attractions- NOT to gripe about the occasional disabled person who receive privileges due to their condition.

That being said, I don't appreciate it when these people act entitled and abuse this system. Regardless of your situation, behavior like that shouldn't be tolerated.

Leave a comment:

• PressPersily
    replied

Originally posted by yeahitsfine View Post
    EXACTLY. invisible illnesses suck.
    My Diabetes is severe so I get frequent, dangerous low blood sugars which if low enough, can send me into comas, and I look perfectly healthy. I almost asked to have a wheelchair because walking hours and hours does drain my sugar. I am not handicapped, and Disney would have allowed me a wheelchair after I explained the reason, but I decided not to as people may get the wrong idea and think I am faking. However, my best friend's cousin has cancer and her leg was amputated. And being 10 at the parks probably in a wheelchair or on a prosthetic I can see her getting the ADA entrances as it is very draining and such.

Leave a comment:

• Wall to Wall Creep
    replied

Originally posted by Sheriff Lightyear View Post
    Has anyone here agreeing with the OP ever experienced their own handicap, even if it were only for a limited time, or actually know a close family member/friend who is handicapped?
    My father has had three knee replacements (an attempt to fix injuries from 1967 and 1968).

He is not able to bend either knee to 90 degrees. This means that the majority of rides in Disneyland are unaccessible to him.

It's funny to read both sides of the arguments about this topic, when I simply wish I could experience an attraction with my father, like I did when I was a child.

Handicapped people have enough issues. If they happen to get on a ride 15 minutes faster than I do... oh well. I have bigger things to worry about than 15 minutes.

Leave a comment:

• StarSpeeder
    replied

I went to Disneyland with someone in a wheelchair because of a foot injury. It actually does take some pushing and some work to get him/her on a ride. Plus, I also went with someone who has chronic abdominal pain. That mean his stomach hurts 24/7 and doctors can't figure out why. He doesn't have the endurance to stand in a line for one hour and be in constant pain. People in wheelchairs face difficulties too and they should be able to ride on the same amount of rides as healthy people, if they can't wait in the regular line before their health gives out then they shouldn't, they should have a shorter waiting time.

Leave a comment:

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
Working...
X