This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Rumor] birth of a new age!

There was recently a thread saying that Disney will no longer be building new rides and attractions based off of non Disney characters. I on the other hand would have to disagree! Hong Kong Disneyland will have two lands based on non Disney characters. Grizzly Gulch has been pretty successful plus mystic point will be completely original and exciting. disney and more has a post on mystic point explaining the ride http://disneyandmore.blogspot.com/20...yland-all.html
    Once that opens i believe it will be wildly popular. Next project for Disney is Shanghai which will have nothing but new takes on attractions. A new castle surrounded by many princess in the disney family will open plus a new boat ride focusing on non disney character will open in the castle. so we should all be excited that Disney will open more non Disney attractions. Please leave a comment or ideas you have for non Disney based attractions!

Re: birth of a new age!

Grizzly Gulch is nothing more then Big Thunder Mountain in a western environment which Chinese people are more familiar with. Mystic Manor is nothing more then a version of Haunted Mansion that won't offend Chinese culture and their beliefs about ancestor's spirits. These are hardly original, they are low risk slightly new takes on attractions that have become a necessary piece of all castle parks and have been proven for decades. Plus, my thread was specifically talking about U.S. parks and mentioned that the one exception to this rule will always be thrill rides because they always have a built-in audience.

Comment

I think the point being said about Mystic Manor and Grizzly Mountain being original is the fact that they don't use characters that have appeared in movies. All of them are unique and original.
      "Y'all come back now, ya hear?"

Comment

I actually see it a little differently. I noticed that they are using characters here in the United States and using unique attractions over seas.
        DisneyTwins
        Since May 2003

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle Bob View Post
          Grizzly Gulch is nothing more then Big Thunder Mountain in a western environment which Chinese people are more familiar with. Mystic Manor is nothing more then a version of Haunted Mansion that won't offend Chinese culture and their beliefs about ancestor's spirits.
          actually mystic manor is nothing like the haunted mansion except that it has spirits and magic. this ride will actually have a story and completely new environments. tell me does the Haunted Mansion have a room filled with Egyptian artifacts or tiki gods? No! this is new and different. and as for grizzly gulch its a new ride system with a new storyline and mountain. if anything you should compare it to Everest.

Comment

^I think what he is saying is they are "spiritual" clones....yes they are different but both are similar in the main idea of the attraction they were drawn from.

On the other hand I think the rides to me count as "Original" rides because I count anything that is not tied to a movie/story and just retells the story in 3D.
            Happy Halloween!!!

Comment

ORWEN: I just don't understand people who complain about so many attractions at a Disney theme park being themed after Disney movies. You must not really be Disney fans if you don't like attractions that are based on Disney movies. So it makes a witch wonder why you're even here. For those of us who DO like Disney attractions based on Disney movies, let us celebrate. I think most guests actually do prefer attractions based on Disney movies. That's why the parks are still popular. If some of you had your way, Disney wouldn't be Disney at all. Now where can I find a Disney site with REAL Disney fans to talk with?

Comment

^Because it's not Disney Movie Park...its Disneyland

The Matterhorn screams Disney but not based on a film....Big Thunder is more Disney to most then the new Nemo Subs...Pirates? HM? If Walt ignored making original rides that pushed the tech of theme parks we'd have a much...much...much worst park
                Happy Halloween!!!

Comment

^^ The problem with film based attractions is they often only retell the same story but in a very rushed format that only those who have seen the film can understand. You stop seeing new jokes and show scenes and only see film moments recreated with moving manequins. If you feel the need to base things off if films, at least make the ride a sequel with it's own original plot and scenes. Indy and Star Tours do this well.

But HM, POTC, Jungle Cruise, Matterhorn, Space Mountain, Big Thunder. These are what I think of when I hear Disney ride, not Nemo subs.
                  Women, they make the highs higher and the lows more frequent.

Comment

Originally posted by Witches of Morva View Post
                    ORWEN: I just don't understand people who complain about so many attractions at a Disney theme park being themed after Disney movies. You must not really be Disney fans if you don't like attractions that are based on Disney movies. So it makes a witch wonder why you're even here. For those of us who DO like Disney attractions based on Disney movies, let us celebrate. I think most guests actually do prefer attractions based on Disney movies. That's why the parks are still popular. If some of you had your way, Disney wouldn't be Disney at all. Now where can I find a Disney site with REAL Disney fans to talk with?

Comment

ORWEN: Your argument just doesn't hold water, JerrodDragon.. the whole reason Walt Disney built Disneyland in the first place is so that fans of his movies could be immersed in them.

Comment

ORWEN:........ You must not really be Disney fans if you don't like attractions that are based on Disney movies.............. Now where can I find a Disney site with REAL Disney fans to talk with?
                        I take great offense to these statements. To accuse so many of us here to not be "real Disney fans" because we disagree with corporate decisions is insulting. To be a "fan" does not mean one needs to support all the companies buisness decisions, or blindly support every single marketing move and creation.

I am sure there are some boards out there which will only allow Disney corporate loving posts and threads. Where everyone is always posting how wonderful everything is all the time. Perhaps the Shanghai Disney board might be a good place to start.

Comment

ORDDU: Obviously there is a big misunderstanding. My sisters and I are NOT corporate loving Disney fans. Far from it. We actually can't stand Disney corporate at all as it now is. We prefer Walt Disney's original philosophy--the one that started with a Mouse. But there do seem to be too many so called 'Disney fans' around today who have no more clue about that than the current corporate management. To complain about too many movie tie-in's just doesn't make sense when Walt was the originator of that very idea.

Comment

Walt built the park to have a place that parents and kids could enjoy together
                            BGood! It's not just my motto its my name!

Comment

ORDDU: Obviously there is a big misunderstanding. My sisters and I are NOT corporate loving Disney fans. Far from it. We actually can't stand Disney corporate at all as it now is. We prefer Walt Disney's original philosophy--the one that started with a Mouse. But there do seem to be too many so called 'Disney fans' around today who have no more clue about that than the current corporate management. To complain about too many movie tie-in's just doesn't make sense when Walt was the originator of that very idea.
                              Disneyland was not created for the purpose of movie tie in's. In Walt's own words
                              "What this country really needs is an amusement park that families can take their children to. They've gotten so honky tonk with a lot of questionable characters running around, and they're not to safe. They're not well kept. I want to have a place that's as clean as anything could ever be, and all the people in it [his park] are first-class citizens, and treated like guests."-Walt Disney
                              As for being the originator of cross media marketing, The Disney company was not the inventor of this.

Comment

ORWEN: Your argument just doesn't hold water, JerrodDragon.. the whole reason Walt Disney built Disneyland in the first place is so that fans of his movies could be immersed in them.
                                So why did he make Jungle Cruise? Pirates, HM, the Matterhorn, the Subs, the monorail, Main Street, Autopia, the Mark Twain?

He wanted you to be taken to not ONLY his movies but places in the world most of us will never travel to...like a Jungle in Africa....or the old West....or his hometown.

Disney did not just want you to ride the movies (that's Universal) the proof is Walt made just as many rides not based on movies as rides he made from his classic movies
                                Happy Halloween!!!

Comment

ORDDU: Your quote from Walt doesn't support your argument, CAspace, dear. You're forcing an interpretation from it that simply doesn't exist. As for you JerrodDragon, the fact that Walt also had attractions as the park that weren't based on Disney movies doesn't prove that it's wrong or out of place for current management to create new attractions with movie tie-ins. The better argument to make should be about quality. Current management isn't always willing to spend the appropriate amount of money on their attractions to make them the best they can be. The current direction DCA is going may mean they've learned their lesson. We can only hope. But the main point to be made is that creating an attraction with a movie tie-in is NOT such a bad thing as some of you seem to want us all to believe.

Comment

^we want balance...and ALL movie made park would be worst then one that allows both ideas to follow freely

Movie rides...for the most part are more limiting and rides like HM or Pirates the sky's the limit...they can do anything they want (that makes sense) in an Original ride a ride based off Nemo...where of course has to be based in the Ocean

I don't mind if they want to make some Tie in rides like...Beauty and the Beast, Aladdin Avengers and Tron...but its been over ten years since a non movie based ride hit Disneyland and I think its fair that we get an Original ride every ten years, when less then every 6 months something from a movie is added to the parks from a meet in greet, to a show, to an event (Tea Party) to a ride or land,
                                    Happy Halloween!!!

Comment

Originally posted by JerrodDRagon View Post
                                      ^we want balance...and ALL movie made park would be worst then one that allows both ideas to follow freely

Movie rides...for the most part are more limiting and rides like HM or Pirates the sky's the limit...they can do anything they want (that makes sense) in an Original ride a ride based off Nemo...where of course has to be based in the Ocean

I don't mind if they want to make some Tie in rides like...Beauty and the Beast, Aladdin Avengers and Tron...but its been over ten years since a non movie based ride hit Disneyland and I think its fair that we get an Original ride every ten years, when less then every 6 months something from a movie is added to the parks from a meet in greet, to a show, to an event (Tea Party) to a ride or land,
                                      I agree completely. I feel like the whole balance of it all has been lost. My favorite rides at the resort are ones that are not tied to Disney movies at all. Mansion, POTC, Matterhorn, Big Thunder, Jungle Cruise, DLRR, Canoes, Mark Twain, the list goes on and on.

I would love to see WRE come to life without having to infuse the potential success of the upcoming Lone Ranger film along with it. I'd also like to see Frontierland get an expansion with some original attractions as opposed to possibly getting an Oz based land in between the area leading into Fantasyland.

Also, the fact that they rely on their films to be successful before green lighting an attraction based on one is very disheartening. There are a few movies that didn't do as well as the company hoped where I fully believe we could've received an unbelievable attraction. Tron definitely comes to mind..

Comment

Then why didn't Walt Disney actually build such a place? Most of the park was built around new content. Even after he started to have more money because Disneyland was a success he built more non-movie attractions. You'd think if he wanted to focus on movie attractions he would have had the good sense to build them. Why are new attractions not automatically Disney but new movies are Disney? Heck, why do we consider feature films Disney? Walt was much more active in the shorts than the features. So maybe only features based on shorts are really Disney an you must not like true Disney if you want new Disney movies not based on something already Disney.

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                        Working...
                                        X