Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Question] will be traveling with some one in a wheel chair - question about rides

will be traveling to dl with some one in a wheel chair. how do the rides work.

one of my friends went several years ago and he was the one in the chair, said he and his party of 6 went thru the exits of each ride and were then able to get onto the rides with almost no wait, is that how that works? or do you go thru the ques? seems to me when i was there 3 months ago i saw people on pirates coming thru the exit to enter the ride. can anyone please give me some ideas of what we can and can not do. we are looking at splitting the days between a wheel chair and a power scooter.
    looking for thoughts for both parks
    thanks

I ride a scooter. So here's how I do it.

I do not get a GAC you don't need one if you are in some sort of chair. Stop by city hall or do some research online and get a Guest with Disabilities map. It gives you info on each ride and how to approach it from a chair. In DL most rides have you enter through the exit. There will most likely be a line of other disabled guests. Some with chairs some with GACs.

DCA is completely ADA compliant. You go through all the regular queues.

Keep in mind some rides will have a long wait due to ride vehicles accessibility. Some will be quick.

Star tours is the only ride I have experienced that will give you a fast pass like return card with a time designated.

All shows and parades have special wheelchair viewing areas. Ask a CM for assistance if you cannot locate them.

Have fun and enjoy everything !!!
    sigpic

Comment

Re: will be traveling with some one in a wheel chair - question about rides

Originally posted by clowndiscus View Post
      seems to me when i was there 3 months ago i saw people on pirates coming thru the exit to enter the ride. can anyone please give me some ideas of what we can and can not do. we are looking at splitting the days between a wheel chair and a power scooter.
      looking for thoughts for both parks
      thanks
      When you enter the park, get a "Guest with Disabilities" guide. It will explain how to approach each ride. Some rides like Pirates, you will wait in a line near the exit until the line inside is short enough, then enter the exit and wait there. (They will have a cast member there to assist.) Others like Buzz, you will join the regular queue. Star Tours, if your friend is in a wheelchair, he will use the regular queue. If he is using a ECV, they will give him a FP card with a time to return to the exit to ride.
      If you see a cute yellow lab puppy with a yellow cape, WAVE! It might be us! (Or it may be someone else that lurks here!) Thank you for asking before you pet! Next trip, Dec 22-Jan 3rd.

Comment

I've been with my sister whom was in a wheelchair at the time and most lines you go in thru the exit. Space mountain is the only one that we forced her to hobble onto because the wheelchair line up was 3 hour or more and we had fastpasses. Many times they'll just ask the person if their ok to walk off incase of emergency and if they can get on within a certain time. Some you have to do a regular line but others is better then having a fastpass.

Comment

My hubby uses a mobility scooter. He has had to use it for so many years that we just know where to go. Didn't know there was a map for it. That's really helpful!

One thing we found last time we went - which was in the spring and still really warm - bring an umbrella for shade! We didn't have one and found that waiting at the exit of Big Thuder was too warm. I sent hubby into the shade to wait while I stood in line, but it was too much as the line barely moved in the 30 - 45 min we waited - and I have a pretty high tolerence. A small umbrella would have made all the difference as there is no shade in the handicap line. An umbrella would also help for Small World, Dumbo, Casey Jr, part of Peter Pan, etc.

We have have wonderful experiences with the cast members and they always appreciate our thanks for their help.

If you have the option of choosing between a wheelchair and a scooter, I might suggest the scooter. Some of the park is uphill and I know I would get very weary if I had to help with his chair all day. Getting into New Orleans Square, for example, is uphill, and it is a long hike back into Critter Country.

If you would like more details ahead of time on where to go for different rides, just post the question and we all will be glad to help further! You will have a great time!
          sigpic
          Hidden Mickey - Historical fiction about Walt that mixes action and mystery with time travel and fantasy! Tweens to adults will enjoy these novels. And now, three gamebooks to play in Disneyland, DCA and WDW Magic Kingdom!

Check out my six action/adventure novels about Walt's lost diary and his epic quest. Visit my blog page!

Sometimes Dead Men DO Tell Tales!

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
          Working...
          X