Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

If POTC was built today, what would people think of it?

Collapse

Get Away Today

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Question] If POTC was built today, what would people think of it?

Play along here...

Pretend POTC the classic ride never existed. Then, in 2011, Disney announced a new Pirates of the Carribbean ride.... based on the Johnny Depp movies.

It is now 2012. The ride opens and looks exactly like the one we know of now in the real world.

How would fans react?

Would they applaud this ride and admire the beauty? Would people be mad the ride didn't follow the Depp movie storylines? Is there not enough Depp? Is the ride too boring? Why did they choose IASW boats?

Remember, they just built exactly what we've known/seen for decades. What do you think?

Re: If POTC was built today, what would people think of it?

Kids would say, "Oh, it's slow. Oh it's boring. Oh it's so low-tech." My nephew said, "They're just robots." Members of this forum would say, "Alas, another movie-based attraction..."

Comment

People like on Disney fan sites would be satisfied, I think the lines would be longer than they are now due to hype but it would wear off as the decades pass by.

Comment

Pirates of the Caribbean wouldn't exist period. Pirates were a dead genre and generally still are, there would be no pre-existing name that might sell people on it and it definitely wouldn't have the supernatural zombie stuff because the only reason that stuff was in the first movie was that it was playing off the skeleton caves and Disney wouldn't be that risky otherwise.
        M-I-C-K-E-Y P-R-I-M-E
        sigpic
        Flickr

Comment

Originally posted by FigmentJedi View Post
          Pirates of the Caribbean wouldn't exist period. Pirates were a dead genre and generally still are, there would be no pre-existing name that might sell people on it and it definitely wouldn't have the supernatural zombie stuff because the only reason that stuff was in the first movie was that it was playing off the skeleton caves and Disney wouldn't be that risky otherwise.
          I don't think the pirate genre was that popular when POTC was built either. In fact I'd go so far as to say the pirate genre is much more popular today compared to even when POTC was built.

Comment

Originally posted by DisneyIPresume View Post
            I don't think the pirate genre was that popular when POTC was built either. In fact I'd go so far as to say the pirate genre is much more popular today compared to even when POTC was built.
            The only other Pirate movie made in the last 10 years that isn't related to Pirates of the Caribbean I can think of is Aardman's The Pirates that came out earlier this year. Direct to TV/Video stuff doesn't really count.

A quick look at Wikipedia has over 30 Pirate movies produced during the 50s and 60s
            M-I-C-K-E-Y P-R-I-M-E
            sigpic
            Flickr

Comment

Originally posted by FigmentJedi View Post
              The only other Pirate movie made in the last 10 years that isn't related to Pirates of the Caribbean I can think of is Aardman's The Pirates that came out earlier this year. Direct to TV/Video stuff doesn't really count.

A quick look at Wikipedia has over 30 Pirate movies produced during the 50s and 60s
              Were any of those movies as big of smashes as the Johnny Depp movies?

Comment

If it was built now like it was back then? I'd think I'd still think its amazing.....I just think the idea of this WHOLE city being built is crazy NO one does that for one ride any more it's all just one room theme at a time
                Happy Halloween!!!

Comment

I'd think it would actually be appreciated cause fans will be like "Finally a huge, original dark ride on par with Haunted Mansion like we wanted for years. So tired of Pixar!"

Comment

Good question. Hmmm. With this situtation, the imagineers must've built something equally as good as POTC (other than HM) in the late 60s somewhere but not in NOS. I'll probably say that POTC is not as good as that attraction and the HM. I guess, I would've also complainied about having a ride based on the lackluster POTC franchise (and the stupid mist screen projection!), but i'll be greatly impressed with the nice throwback to the old imagineering days (more AAs and detailed sets, no 3d graphics, etc.)

Comment

just saying... they wouldn't have made this ride based on the movies because the movies never would have happened if the ride wasn't already in the parks.
                      Trips coming up:

May 22-26th
                      July 13th-18th
                      November 19th-25th

Comment

Lackluster POTC franchise? No, no you got it wrong. All four movies did really well in the box-office and many fans of the movies and the ride of course enjoyed the films. Though, the critics gave pretty negative reviews on the later sequels, though the movies are fun and great to watch over and over again. Plus, the production values are very high.

I prefer John Carter to become a trilogy, shame to see the marketing for the movie isn't so great. The movie is now one of my favorites for 2012 in films, it is a good movie and not to be missed. John Carter of Mars is a lot better than the POTC sequels. So, I support John Carter. I wish Disney would make a John Cater dark ride in Tomorrowland.

I don't know though, but if POTC was build today, the effects and the animatronics will be in higher technology of course, but it would be like like Universal Studios do when they make rides based on movies.

Jurassic Park the Ride
                        Back to the Future the Ride
                        The Simpsons Ride
                        The Mummy

Now, the name would be Pirates of the Caribbean the Ride featuring 'Captain' Jack Sparrow.

Walt Disney's Original Magic Kingdom!
                        Save
                        Sav

Comment

It's so sad that there's people in here who obviously aren't understanding how to reply to this exercise!

Anywho, I like massive attractions with charm, and this definitely fits the bill. I'd be impressed by the sets alone, be disappointed there's only 2 drops (it bugs me... new or old), enjoy the hundreds of AAs each with a voice, character and capabilities. Only difference in this reverse imagining would be "there should've been a bit MORE from the movie," however I think I'd like the attraction for what it is. And on that same token, I think the movies need a bit MORE from the attraction but I like them for what they are (didn't even realize that one till I wrote it). For today's standards, the tech would be a bit behind but I think if Disney announced it as a "nostalgic experiment," I think I'd be all for it and would probably welcome the attraction with wider arms.

Comment

Originally posted by dth316 View Post
                            It's so sad that there's people in here who obviously aren't understanding how to reply to this exercise!

Anywho, I like massive attractions with charm, and this definitely fits the bill. I'd be impressed by the sets alone, be disappointed there's only 2 drops (it bugs me... new or old), enjoy the hundreds of AAs each with a voice, character and capabilities. Only difference in this reverse imagining would be "there should've been a bit MORE from the movie," however I think I'd like the attraction for what it is. And on that same token, I think the movies need a bit MORE from the attraction but I like them for what they are (didn't even realize that one till I wrote it). For today's standards, the tech would be a bit behind but I think if Disney announced it as a "nostalgic experiment," I think I'd be all for it and would probably welcome the attraction with wider arms.
                            I can't help it! I'm just a "sad" person. We all can't be as awesome as you...

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X