Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Save Submarines: Use Them As River Transports Around Marvel Park, Like Trains @ DL

Collapse

Get Away Today

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BugSam101
    replied
    Re: Save Submarines: Use Them As River Transports Around Marvel Park, Like Trains @ D

If I remember I heard that it was Marvel based attractions not a Marvel Based Theme Park/

Leave a comment:

• film975
    replied
    Re: Save Submarines: Use Them As River Transports Around Marvel Park, Like Trains @ D

I really don't get where Al is coming from on this. Wasn't the original Submarine Voyage shut down because of operation costs? And wasn't the Finding Nemo version of the ride supposed to fix a lot of those problems. I really don't get it nor do I believe it. Especially when the ride is still popular. Hopefully if the Finding Nemo sequel is succesful, we will see some effects upgrades.

Leave a comment:

• Ride Warrior
    replied

Originally posted by JerrodDRagon View Post
    Haha....I wish...if so...I'd go back in time and ask for a Nemo, Buzz and Pooh ride....hehe three problems gone
    :lol:

Just to level the legal playing field, I would time travel back and ask for a Harry Potter, Transformers and Shrek ride.

Leave a comment:

• JerrodDRagon
    replied

Originally posted by Ghostbuster626 View Post
    Can we please have a seperate thread for ideas. Also, you know any "idea" that you post on the internet means that it will never happen at Disney do to legal risks.
    Haha....I wish...if so...I'd go back in time and ask for a Nemo, Buzz and Pooh ride....hehe three problems gone

Leave a comment:

• Ride Warrior
    replied

Originally posted by SLUSHIE View Post
    I thought the whole idea behind these getting removed was because of the cost of operations. Of course even the things that are stated as fact on this site I never believe 100%, but it was said it was one of the most expensive to operate rides at the resort.

If that's the case and it is being removed for that reason, I don't see any chance of them being used for anything else.

Keep in mind the whole ride system was replaced when it was transformed into Nemo, so I don't think it's like they can build it any better to reduce it's running cost.

I honestly don't think it's going to be removed though.
    The new ride system may well be more cost effective than the previous one. And it cannot be stressed enugff the unique sesthic value of the lagoon, while I beleave the subs appeal to a far wider array of ages than do most major rides.

Originally posted by Ghostbuster626 View Post
    Can we please have a seperate thread for ideas. Also, you know any "idea" that you post on the internet means that it will never happen at Disney do to legal risks.
    It is likely impossible for disney to completely avoid incorporating some of the ideas on the internet, not to mention other theme parks.
    Last edited by Ride Warrior; 07-17-2012, 05:18 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Ghostbuster626
    replied

Leave a comment:

• SLUSHIE
    replied

I thought the whole idea behind these getting removed was because of the cost of operations. Of course even the things that are stated as fact on this site I never believe 100%, but it was said it was one of the most expensive to operate rides at the resort.

If that's the case and it is being removed for that reason, I don't see any chance of them being used for anything else.

Keep in mind the whole ride system was replaced when it was transformed into Nemo, so I don't think it's like they can build it any better to reduce it's running cost.

I honestly don't think it's going to be removed though.

Leave a comment:

• Ride Warrior
    replied

Originally posted by phantasmic View Post
    i don't care how much they cost to operate, or the fact that I personally don't think it's a super-duper ride myself

kids seem to love it, and it's a pretty unique ride IMO, so I was kinda hoping it'd be around in one form or another for a long time
    That's nice of you to take the kids into consideration. Whether the WDC's internal empty suits and no-account bean counting accountaneers like it or not, I think they are stuck with the subs (in one form or another) for many years ahead.

Leave a comment:

• phantasmic
    replied

i don't care how much they cost to operate, or the fact that I personally don't think it's a super-duper ride myself

kids seem to love it, and it's a pretty unique ride IMO, so I was kinda hoping it'd be around in one form or another for a long time

Leave a comment:

• JerrodDRagon
    replied

Originally posted by DLcub View Post
    I was not aware that a Marvel themed third park had been confirmed.
    In my understanding it's just a rumor amongst many other rumors.
    Besides a Marvel park in some country (and its not being made of Disney) there are only rumors of a third park at Disneyland being Marvel only

Leave a comment:

• Ride Warrior
    replied

Originally posted by calsig31 View Post
    Why would you put something that is Disney in someone else's park? That is like saying you don't like Donald Duck so put him at Six Flags.
    ^
    This! :bow:

The subs got the axe a long time ago. What is there now is just a dumbed down kiddie version of what was once a great attraction.
    Captain Nemo and Dory Nemo versions were each big hits with both adults and kids.

I didn't mean literally, I just meant that the theme fits better there than in a Disney context.
    And I don't consider Marvel to be Disney, they just bought them in 2009. Before then they had nothing to do with each other, thematically or otherwise.
    Some people were saying tha Pixar characters/properties should never be associated with Disney. Now that general parkgoers are recognizing Pixar-based attractions as established quality eperiences, the negtivity has almost died out.

Originally posted by InsertCuteNameHere View Post
    could they be used as transportation from where they are in Tomorrowland to the new park? connecting the two like the monorail does downtown disney to disneyland?
    I suppose the subs could connect the two parks thru a river, with the realization that they would have to travel thru some tunnels. Or, the subs could be renovated to travel along a monorail rail - as kind of a funky, novel "submaorail".

---------- Post added 07-17-2012 at 03:39 PM ----------

Originally posted by bigwavedave View Post
    i hope this isn't true. Some movies are great as a single film without a sequel and this is one of those. It is a classic and i feel a sequel would cheapin it.

Anyways if this is true i think it is safe to say the subs aint sinkin any time soon! Plus isn't the old boat ride lake still full and completly unused. That really seems like a lot of unused space. I remeber it being kind of a long ride.
    Well then, Disney could also potentially use part of any profit windfall made from Finding Nemo 2 on development of brand new attractions (having nothing to do with Nethe Nemo subs - plus invest in the maintenance upkeep of current attractions.

The old Motor Boat Cruise area remains wide open for redevelopment.
    Last edited by Ride Warrior; 07-17-2012, 03:48 PM.

Leave a comment:

• bigwavedave
    replied

Originally posted by ride warrior View Post
    hope your doubts prove to be right, film. Aesthetically speaking, i think that the sub lagoon is the most esquisitely beautiful formation in the park. Disney can pragmaticly expand around it, an outside the berm.

If anything, perhaps finding nemo 2 will be so such a success story that disney will upgrade the finding nemo ride and the lagoon. One just never knows....
    i hope this isn't true. Some movies are great as a single film without a sequel and this is one of those. It is a classic and i feel a sequel would cheapin it.

Anyways if this is true i think it is safe to say the subs aint sinkin any time soon! Plus isn't the old boat ride lake still full and completly unused. That really seems like a lot of unused space. I remeber it being kind of a long ride.

Leave a comment:

• Ride Warrior
    replied

I stand cooected. The factors that Al had brought up in his most recent column are part of what I have based this thread on. But, i had fogotten about the financial cost as one of those factors.

Nevertheless the subs are a long-time historic popular mainstay of the park, and a mega good-will ambassador - which translates into priceless intrinsic value. Plus, it is a ride that the entire family can enjoy riding together - that exists minus intimidating thrill elements. In addition and as aforementioned, the lagoon is one of the most exquisite, picturesque places in the park - and elps to add ceedence to and define the term "magic kingdom.

Leave a comment:

• InsertCuteNameHere
    replied

could they be used as transportation from where they are in Tomorrowland to the new park? connecting the two like the monorail does downtown disney to disneyland?

Leave a comment:

• DLcub
    replied

Why would you put something that is Disney in someone else's park? That is like saying you don't like Donald Duck so put him at Six Flags.
    I didn't mean literally, I just meant that the theme fits better there than in a Disney context.
    And I don't consider Marvel to be Disney, they just bought them in 2009. Before then they had nothing to do with each other, thematically or otherwise.

Leave a comment:

• calsig31
    replied

Originally posted by Poisonedapples View Post
    while it all sounds like a great idea to save them.. i think it's just time to retire them for good..
    Maybe in this bastardized form they are better to retire, however in its classic form, the ride was amazing and a perfect fit for Tomorrowland.

I know Disney owns Marvel, but honestly, I'm like put that Marvel mess in Universal where it belongs.

Originally posted by film975 View Post
    I seriously doubt that the subs are getting the axe. Mostly because there's no one in Disney who is talking about it. It's just a rumor until Disney offically announces it.
    The subs got the axe a long time ago. What is there now is just a dumbed down kiddie version of what was once a great attraction.

Leave a comment:

• 4th Gen Disney Fan
    replied

Originally posted by Ride Warrior View Post
    The rumor is about the entire lagoon area being plowed over - not just the subs. Operation costs have nothing to do with it Plus, the ride is more popular than ever. **snip**
    Actually, according to Al Lutz, which is where the rumor started, operation costs are EXACTLY why they want to do away with the subs:

"It's no secret that the Submarines have no friends in Anaheim’s operations departments, where they are disliked for their inefficiency, very low ride capacity (800 riders an hour at full speed), and very high cost of maintenance. The Submarines have the dubious distinction now of being the costliest attraction to operate and maintain at Disneyland, and just the cost of replacement bulbs alone for the underwater projection screens can tally tens of thousands of dollars per month."

Sounds pretty cut and dried to me.

Leave a comment:

• Ride Warrior
    replied

Originally posted by film975 View Post
    I seriously doubt that the subs are getting the axe. Mostly because there's no one in Disney who is talking about it. It's just a rumor until Disney offically announces it.
    Hope your doubts prove to be right, film. Aesthetically speaking, I think that the sub lagoon is the most esquisitely beautiful formation in the park. Disney can pragmaticly expand around it, an outside the berm.

Originally posted by FigmentJedi View Post
    I'm still doubting they'll actually do it. Not when they're making Finding Nemo 2.

'Finding Nemo 2': Andrew Stanton Will Direct Pixar Sequel
    If anything, perhaps Finding Nemo 2 will be so such a success story that Disney will upgrade the Finding Nemo ride and the lagoon. One just never knows....

Leave a comment:

• FigmentJedi
    replied

I'm still doubting they'll actually do it. Not when they're making Finding Nemo 2.

'Finding Nemo 2': Andrew Stanton Will Direct Pixar Sequel

Leave a comment:

• film975
    replied

Leave a comment:

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
Working...
X