This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Question] WoC Changes

If you could change any scene for World of Color what would it be? Would you make it longer, shorter, or keep it the same?

Re: WoC Changes

I just want it back to its original version. Hunchback and Fantasia 2000 in tact. The Pirates extension and Brave have derailed the story of the show. Keep the commercials at the end, like Tron, if they insist on changing it. Trying to place them in the show doesn't work. They've proven they don't know how to do so properly.

Comment

Maybe third time's the charm? ^

I'd love to get the removed scenes back and edit down some of the longer lasting ones like Nemo and Toy Story, as well as the ones that are featured too many times, like Little Mermaid. In place of those, throw in a few scenes where the fountains play a bigger role than the screens.

Comment

Originally posted by DARTH MAUL View Post
        I just want it back to its original version. Hunchback and Fantasia 2000 in tact. The Pirates extension and Brave have derailed the story of the show. Keep the commercials at the end, like Tron, if they insist on changing it. Trying to place them in the show doesn't work. They've proven they don't know how to do so properly.
        Yeah. I'm ok with Brave but I wish they would change Pirates back. It would also be cool to integrate the Fun Wheel and CA Screamin more like they did with the Tron scene.

Comment

Add an Alice In Wonderland scene and bring back the Hunchback and Fantasia 2000 part

Comment

Actually on second thought I would change something. Instead of the Andy's room scene, I think I'd just play space/alien noises, and the sound of "Calling Buzz Lightyear. come in, Buzz Lightyear..". I don't think it's quite clear enough that we're still supposed to be in outer space from the Wall E segment. I think if you skip Andy's room, thatll be resolved. Coming back down to Earth for that moment confuses the story a bit, I think.

Comment

I'd like the shorter pirates segment to return and the Andy's room and Nemo parts to be shortened they slow down the show.

Comment

I've honestly been thinking a lot recently about possible changes to "World of Color" for the coming years. I know I'm probably in the minority on this, but I wouldn't mind seeing a complete overhaul to the show in about 5 years or so. The technology is so advanced that it seems almost easy (probably isn't) to change things in and out. Here are some segments I would like to see either added to the current show or made part of a complete renovation to the show in the coming years:

1) Bring back the "Troncore". Perhaps not in its original entirety, but in some fashion. The implementation of California Screamin' during that segment is absolutely mind-blowing. I do hope it's an easy "flick of the switch" to bring that segment back online.

"World of Color": Troncore

2) With Disney California Adventure's new icon being the Carthay Circle Theatre, I find it disappointing that "Snow White & The Seven Dwarfs" isn't featured more in the park's show, what with its connection to the Theatre and all. I would add the dark forest scene into the more dramatic segment of the show. The imagery and music would be amazing! (This scene could also be used for a seasonal Halloween version of the show, too.)

"Snow White & The Seven Dwarfs": Haunted Forest Scene

3) Insert a "Metamorphosis Medley" into the show. This medley would include "Hakuna Matata" (The Lion King) and "Son Of Man" (Tarzan). The inclusion of "Hakuna Matata" would open up the possibility of the wildebeest scene towards the end of the show being swapped out for another dramatic Disney moment.

"The Lion King": Hakuna Matata

"Tarzan": Son Of Man (skip to 2:00)

4) Add the "It's A B-Movie" segment from The Brave Little Toaster into the show. The shadows created during that scene of the movie could play very well on the water screens as the fountains build to a climax. (This is another number that could work great for a Halloween edition of the show.) (Scene shown below thanks to YouTube.)

The Brave Little Toaster: It's A B-Movie

(Continued...)

Comment

5) "You Can Fly! You Can Fly! You Can Fly!" from Peter Pan. Use digital mapping to convert Mickey's Fun Wheel into the face of Big Ben during the show.

6) Aladdin & Jafar (as snake) battle scene. The use of the fire could be awesome during this number.

"Aladdin": Final Battle Snake Scene (skip to 1:00)

7) Add "I Wan'na Be Like You" from The Jungle Book. The crescendo of the song towards the end would be awesome with the coupling of the "high shooters". Plus, Baloo's outfit falling apart at the end could bring some comedy during the show.

"The Jungle Book": I Wan'na Be Like You

There are many others that I could list, but these are the segments that I believe are musts. Thoughts?

- Joe

Comment

Bumping to get thoughts from others about my ideas. Thanks!

- Joe

Comment

I was not a huge fan of BRAVE but I do like this segment in the show, specifically the second section (bagpipes) which shows a definite improvement in the producer's skills with the choreography of the fountains. It's bright and energetic despite its gross overuse of the woefully awful projection technology.

That would be my biggest want for this show, abandoning most of the overwrought projections. I would really to see some of the segments freshly choreographed. I would also like to see an improved third and fourth act, everything from The Lion King to the finale is weak visually and/or musically and drags the show to an end rather than build it to a powerful climax.

Comment

Originally posted by WickedScorp View Post

That would be my biggest want for this show, abandoning most of the overwrought projections. I would really to see some of the segments freshly choreographed. I would also like to see an improved third and fourth act, everything from The Lion King to the finale is weak visually and/or musically and drags the show to an end rather than build it to a powerful climax.
                        :botox:

Comment

I would like to chime in and just give my overall thoughts on the show.

The reason I was so excited for the show is that it was the largest show in Disney history with more backing from different departments than any other project in recent times. It was a culmination of all talents. And with that it had a fantastic group of leaders with huge sense of direction.

To just give you a sense of how excited I was, I followed the excessive updates posted in the Project Tracker, and in 2009 I wrote a letter to myself which I would later open in 2010 asking myself "How was World of Color?" I did not get to the parks for over 2 months after the show initially premiered, and I avoided all YouTube videos so to with-hold the magical surprise that was the show.

However, the show premiered it was a fraction of itself. And here are a few reasons why:

1) A lot complain that the show never had any story, and it never did, nor do I think it was intended to. However, it did somehow have a sense of direction. Land, Sea, Sky, and a series of great transitions. Segments like Genie, Brave, the excessive "Whole New World" really interrupt the flow.

2) The original show had a sense of directions with fountains as well. Its pretty obvious that the whole Spring Sprite scene was designed to reveal the giant water screen. Instead, all it does it reveal a giant CGI landscape. Elements were suppose to slowly be released with themes in the fountains movements as the show goes on. This was evident in the original Aladdin/Herc scene where you see much more use of the chasers and fan fountains, and in the original Part of Your World opener there was more use of the water whips. Most of these themes were cut, entirely and replaced with animation (see Part of your World, Aladdin, Hellfire)

3) The original show had a unique look in terms of animation. The original Aladdin had a slow build up and when it finally hit the familiar song, it did not just show the same CGI, instead it was sand art. That shows strong planning, and a gives the scene a sense of belonging. The Alice in Wonderland scene had all paper animation which I truly think was a tragedy was ruined. The current show has the water background monstrosity behind Ariel and Sebastian, the generic Aladdin/Genie scenes, and the Hellfire is also rather lacking.

My biggest issue with the current show mainly is the Brave sequence. Its a complete aberration in all forms. Visually its just clips from the movie. Musically it doesn't transition well from the already abrupt Genie to Spring Sprite movement, it thematically makes no sense: "I'm Merida" Who cares? What emotion do you bring. And its just a fraction of the imagination that the original segments once had.

In a perfect world, I would have preferred the original show with a few scenes cut. This would be my dream line-up:

Opener
                          Spring Sprite
                          Pocahontas
                          Heimleich/Old Mill
                          Alice in Wonderland
                          Part of Your World (Original)
                          Under the Sea/Crush
                          Nemo/Whales
                          Wall-E
                          Aladdin/Hercules (Original)
                          Dr. Facilier
                          Hellfire
                          Lion King
                          So Close (Original)
                          Beauty and the Beast (But ditch the comet theme. Perhaps a stained glass motif?)
                          Finale

But this is just my opinion. Shame though that what was such a beautifully planned show ended as nothing more than Disney Movies with Fountains.

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X