Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What "facts" do your friends and family get mixed up regarding DL/DLR?

Collapse

Get Away Today

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #21
    Re: What "facts" do your friends and family get mixed up regarding DL/DLR?

    "This way is quickest..." . Not really a fact but I find it funny that some people at 6:00 at night think the fastest way to the Matterhorn from Main Street is through Tomorrowland.

    And more recently, "we will sit next together" as people walk into the single rider lines.

    Comment


    • #22
      Re: What "facts" do your friends and family get mixed up regarding DL/DLR?

      That they stop you and make you wait just outside the indoor portions of queues such as Space, Indy, and Roger Rabbit because the walkways are narrow inside and they have to keep them clear because of terrorism. No matter how many times I tried to explain it's because of fastpass, it just wouldn't sink in.

      Also, did you know that the talking skull before the drop on Pirates isn't the same voice as it's always been? (X. Atencio) "It's reeeeeal close, but they didn't get it quite right." No, you haven't been here since they remastered the audio. Perhaps that's why it sounds a bit different to you, but it's still the same guy, I assure you. Nope, still wouldn't sink in.

      Yeah, I don't like going to DL with this person.

      Comment


      • #23
        Re: What "facts" do your friends and family get mixed up regarding DL/DLR?

        Originally posted by QueenBee View Post
        Most people think all Disney parks are "Disneyland" so when I say I am going they ask "which one?" ... ugh
        Actually my experience has been that people think that all Disney parks are called "Disney" as in "we're going to Disney." That makes me explode a little every time I hear it.

        Of course the underground tunnels. And that Sleeping Beauty's Castle is Cinderella's Castle (wrong park).

        Comment


        • #24
          Re: What "facts" do your friends and family get mixed up regarding DL/DLR?

          The only one that really urks me, "Walt Disney World was built before Disneyland!""



          Comment


          • #25
            Re: What "facts" do your friends and family get mixed up regarding DL/DLR?

            Originally posted by brenden View Post
            If inaccurate Disneyland lore comes up in conversation, I might try to contribute what I know, but I don't really let it bother me. I'm sure I'm wrong about a lot of things. I hate coming off as a know-it-all so I usually keep it quiet.
            I'm the same way! I'm constantly on here, Disney Parks Blog, Disney Food Blog...DisneyLies (so funny!) so I feel I'm pretty up to date and in the know with all things Disneyland.

            But I've waited in too many lines with the BIGGEST and LOUDEST know-it-alls that spout off incorrect information and lore to their family or friends that even though I think I have my facts in order, I keep quiet, lol.:shy:

            Friends and I will be waiting for HM and someone will say, "Yeah, because of the popularity of Nightmare Before Christmas theming for the holidays, they had this closed down to incorporate the Corpse Bride in the attic scene."

            I just remain silent. My friends love to see me in these situations and always antagonize me with, "Really, hey did you know that? That they put Corpse Bride in here?"

            I just smile and say, "No, I didn't; that's...very cool."

            Comment


            • #26
              Re: What "facts" do your friends and family get mixed up regarding DL/DLR?

              Originally posted by Sheriff Lightyear View Post
              ""Have you ever been to that Club? The one next to Pirates? Club 54?"

              Umm....
              OMG LMBO!!! Too funny. Lemme guess, he/she is Gen-X or older? (Studio 54 in NYC)

              Comment


              • #27
                Re: What "facts" do your friends and family get mixed up regarding DL/DLR?

                I don't correct people at all, I just sort of stand there feeling inwardly superior .

                Comment


                • #28
                  Re: What "facts" do your friends and family get mixed up regarding DL/DLR?

                  Couple weeks back I was able to hear a very visibly upset mother insist to her family that there was an "effing Grinch somewhere in this park!"

                  She didn't use the word 'effing'.
                  "The old man's gonna knock on the sky. Listen to the sound."

                  AP'er since 2004. Yup.....I'm one of THEM.

                  Comment


                  • #29
                    Re: What "facts" do your friends and family get mixed up regarding DL/DLR?

                    Originally posted by Ortizmo2000 View Post
                    Couple weeks back I was able to hear a very visibly upset mother insist to her family that there was an "effing Grinch somewhere in this park!"

                    She didn't use the word 'effing'.
                    "Yes, it's YOU!"

                    Comment


                    • #30
                      Re: What "facts" do your friends and family get mixed up regarding DL/DLR?

                      "You can walk all the way from "it's a small world" to "Pirates" without going above ground.
                      Or, the opposite. I was trying to tell someone about the tunnel that does go from what is now Innoventions to under Tomorrowland Terrace, and he would't believe me, saying "there's a road that goes behind Tommorowland", (which of course, there is).
                      The fact that there are some tunnels and basements and the full set of utilidors in Florida's Magic Kingdom makes this a difficult one to get across to people. Some people just don't want to let go of that false belief of that "underground city" under Disneyland. It's almost like an adult version of believing in Santa, isn't it?

                      Comment


                      • #31
                        Re: What "facts" do your friends and family get mixed up regarding DL/DLR?

                        My family usually refers to any Disney park as Disney World and often get the two parks confused. I've given up trying to correct them.

                        Comment


                        • #32
                          Re: What "facts" do your friends and family get mixed up regarding DL/DLR?

                          I think the whole "One Disney" or "Disney Parks" concept backfired on the company in a way. I read tripadvisor and yelp a lot, and I often see people planning trips to California say, "We're not going to do Disney because we did Disney in Florida." They now assume that all Disneylands are the same thing, so if you see one you've seen them all. And this was the intention of the company. When I see this I try to explain that some things, such as Matterhorn, Alice, World of Color and Carsland, are unique to the Anaheim parks and found at no other Disney parks. But it still seems to go in one ear and out the other. It's all just "Disney" to so many people now. So the company is missing out on some potential revenue, because if people knew the differences they might spend the money to see the other parks.

                          Comment


                          • #33
                            Re: What "facts" do your friends and family get mixed up regarding DL/DLR?

                            Well, adding to the tunnel idea is the urban legend of the couple whose kid was kidnapped and they took them to the hidden tunnels to watch footage of the park and catch the kidnapper.

                            Comment


                            • #34
                              Re: What "facts" do your friends and family get mixed up regarding DL/DLR?

                              Originally posted by Magicguy View Post
                              "Disneyland isnt open 365 days a year"

                              This used to be true. Up until about 20 - 30 years ago, the park closed one or two days a week in the off season.

                              ---------- Post added 07-27-2012 at 10:54 PM ----------

                              Originally posted by QueenBee View Post
                              And the worst one of all "Did you know Walt Disney was a Nazi?" jesus ....
                              Many years ago, B'nai B'rith, an international Jewish service organization did a background check on Walt Disney, investigating allegations of anti-semitism. This Jewish organization found there was NO TRUTH to these accusations. They confirmed that Walt was a tough guy to work for, but he surrounded himself with simply the best people he could find, Christian, Jewish, whatever. He just looked for the best.
                              http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...oto-heavy.html
                              http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ip-report.html
                              http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...oto-heavy.html
                              http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...oto-heavy.html
                              http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...something.html

                              No matter where you go, there you are.

                              Comment


                              • #35
                                Re: What "facts" do your friends and family get mixed up regarding DL/DLR?

                                Originally posted by sbk1234 View Post
                                Many years ago, B'nai B'rith, an international Jewish service organization did a background check on Walt Disney, investigating allegations of anti-semitism. This Jewish organization found there was NO TRUTH to these accusations. They confirmed that Walt was a tough guy to work for, but he surrounded himself with simply the best people he could find, Christian, Jewish, whatever. He just looked for the best.
                                Yes! Someone--I believe it was Neal Gabler in his book Walt Disney: The Triumph of the American Imagination, but it might have been someone else--talked about this exact thing. Walt was a demanding employer, but not a racist one, and had several Jewish employees whose talents he very much appreciated.

                                Comment


                                • #36
                                  Re: What "facts" do your friends and family get mixed up regarding DL/DLR?

                                  Heard this today at the park: "[referencing Aladdin's Oasis] That used to be the Aladdin thing, but they moved it to the other park." Err...

                                  Comment


                                  • #37
                                    Re: What "facts" do your friends and family get mixed up regarding DL/DLR?

                                    Originally posted by Bob Weaver View Post
                                    I think the whole "One Disney" or "Disney Parks" concept backfired on the company in a way. I read tripadvisor and yelp a lot, and I often see people planning trips to California say, "We're not going to do Disney because we did Disney in Florida." They now assume that all Disneylands are the same thing, so if you see one you've seen them all. And this was the intention of the company. When I see this I try to explain that some things, such as Matterhorn, Alice, World of Color and Carsland, are unique to the Anaheim parks and found at no other Disney parks. But it still seems to go in one ear and out the other. It's all just "Disney" to so many people now. So the company is missing out on some potential revenue, because if people knew the differences they might spend the money to see the other parks.
                                    I still don't get why they do this... Disney is ALREADY a worldwide, household name... no reason to make it all corporate branded... they should have emphasized the uniqueness of each park and sell each location as a special experience

                                    Comment


                                    • #38
                                      Originally posted by sbk1234:1056812789
                                      Originally posted by Magicguy View Post
                                      "Disneyland isnt open 365 days a year"

                                      This used to be true. Up until about 20 - 30 years ago, the park closed one or two days a week in the off season.

                                      ---------- Post added 07-27-2012 at 10:54 PM ----------

                                      Originally posted by QueenBee View Post
                                      And the worst one of all "Did you know Walt Disney was a Nazi?" jesus ....
                                      Many years ago, B'nai B'rith, an international Jewish service organization did a background check on Walt Disney, investigating allegations of anti-semitism. This Jewish organization found there was NO TRUTH to these accusations. They confirmed that Walt was a tough guy to work for, but he surrounded himself with simply the best people he could find, Christian, Jewish, whatever. He just looked for the best.
                                      Thank you the facts to back it up !
                                      sigpic

                                      Comment


                                      • #39
                                        Re: What "facts" do your friends and family get mixed up regarding DL/DLR?

                                        Originally posted by ShelbyH View Post
                                        I don't correct people at all, I just sort of stand there feeling inwardly superior .
                                        I have a co-worker whose only memory of Disneyland was a log ride. Now this was nearly 50 years ago...as far as I know there was no log ride at Disneyland 50 years ago.

                                        Comment


                                        • #40
                                          Re: What "facts" do your friends and family get mixed up regarding DL/DLR?

                                          Originally posted by disneychrista View Post
                                          I have a co-worker whose only memory of Disneyland was a log ride. Now this was nearly 50 years ago...as far as I know there was no log ride at Disneyland 50 years ago.
                                          They were probably getting that confused with the Log Ride at Knotts which opened 43 years ago.

                                          Comment

                                          Get Away Today Footer

                                          Collapse
                                          Working...
                                          X