This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Chat] Protests today (7/28) at the resort- Merged

I have a reservation tonight at a hotel on the corner of Harbor & Disney way. I have a feeling it's not going to much fun with the planned protest Al talked about at noon. My plan is to go to the park for the day and try to check in around 4:00. Wish me luck!

re: Protests today (7/28) at the resort- Merged

Yikes, I hope everything will be ok! I'm sure it'll be fine, though. You'll go to the park, have a fun time, then go to the hotel and relaaaaaaaaax. The protest shouldn't be too much of a problem.
    - Walt Disney

Comment

I'm supposed to go Sunday. I really hope things don't get out of hand to where they end up shutting down the resort for these stupid protests.
      "Greetings, Starfighter! You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Xur and the Ko-Dan Armada."

Comment

Another political protest involving Disneyland - the Yippie Invasion of 1970

As Disneyland faces the possibility of protest demonstrations today, I wanted to share another chapter in the history of protests at Disneyland - the Yippie Invasion of 1970

Daveland Disneyland Yippie Photos

Comment

Wow, just wow. I don't know what good these protesters think this will do, other than guarantee media coverage. Oops, just answered my own question didn't it? I think, at least, that these will be peaceful protesters rather than the hoodlums who use these 'events' to start looting. They usually don't advertise their presence!

If you're staying near Harbor & Disney, I would be sure to plot an alternate route to your hotel in case they close down the intersection.

I'm hoping all goes well for those visiting the park this weekend. Hopefully this will be a storm in a teacup with few protesters & not impact anyone or anything. I'm sure the police & Disney security will be a visible presence.
          "Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.​"

Comment

Originally posted by Stormy View Post

I'm hoping all goes well for those visiting the park this weekend. Hopefully this will be a storm in a teacup with few protesters & not impact anyone or anything. I'm sure the police & Disney security will be a visible presence.
            Agreed. Something was scheduled for yesterday at 5:30 apparently not too many people showed up. I have no problem with people protesting, but when they block traffic and cause mayhem, it's pretty much time for them to go. If they all went, say, to City Hall, they would still get media coverage and would let potential first time visitors to Disneyland enjoy their day. Just the fact that they are setting up in front of Disneyland speaks volumes about the organizers of this event. Hopefully this will all blow over soon. In the mean time, I hope everyone, including the protestors, has a safe afternoon today.

Comment

I also heard that they had an event planned for yesterday, which didn't attract very many protesters. However, it's best to be prepared. If I were coming from that actual intersection, I would try to avoid the area starting an hour before and an hour after the planned protest time, just in case (protest is announced as noon-4pm). Although I don't think it will end up being dangerous, follow your instinct, if it feels dangerous or you see anything being thrown, either stay in your room or stay at the park (or find a way to get safely to the entrance from the other side at Downtown Disney). Be safe and I hope you are able to have a great day at the Park and forget all about any possible protest nearby.

Comment

It may be a great time to ride the Monorail if it is running. As you skirt Harbor Blvd you can get a birds-eye view of all the chaos.
                "Greetings, Starfighter! You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Xur and the Ko-Dan Armada."

Comment

Re: Another political protest involving Disneyland - the Yippie Invasion of 1970

It must have been pretty scary to be at Disneyland and be surrounded by heavily armored and armed policemen. The Yippies wouldn't really bother me unless they started bothering me (which they wouldn't). It'd be seeing weaponry and heavy armor lining cheerful Main Street. Albeit they're just doing their job and I for one greatly appreciate law enforcement and what they do for us. It's just the fact that guns and armor were brought onto the scene. That's really unsettling in its own way. Not saying I hate the police or anything. The police have done a lot for me. I've had a seizure before and have been involved in a car accident and both times the cops have been friendly and helpful. The police only bother me when they get brutal for no reason (or a really petty reason). Being a part of an interracial couple, it really gets my angry gears going seeing all of the fire hoses and poor treatment of minorities during the Civil Rights Movement in the 60's. I appreciate the police but not when that kind of stuff happens. But I'm still very grateful to have very reliable and protective law enforcement.

Anyways, back on topic. It's interesting reading all the different stories and perspectives on the invasion. It doesn't seem as if there is one exact story that is completely accurate. One story tells a different story about what happened and the other contradicts everything the said story says. I suppose we'll really never know what happened that day aside from pictures and the reliable stories that are factual or at least seem to be factual. I've always wanted to be in Disneyland during some kind of incident like this, but seeing pictures and reading accounts are kind of changing my mind haha.

Sorry if I'm sounding like a jerk or something. I'm just stating my opinions.
                  "Y'all come back now, ya hear?"

Comment

Protest at noon today 7/28/2012

The top news on my phone this morning states that there will be a protest at the main gate to Disneyland today at noon. Just wanted to warn you all.

Comment

Re: Protest at noon today 7/28/2012

I wouldn't worry about it, when I went to Disneyland as a kid there was a protest and it was just a small group of people with signs standing on the sidewalk.

Comment

I'm curious to see how this plays out. If anyone is there/planning to be at the parks today be sure to keep us posted!

Comment

According to the LA Times it's on Harbor so if you park in M&F you may not even know anything's going on.

Comment

How many people are there? Have they closed the street?

Comment

Originally posted by 999mal View Post
                              I wouldn't worry about it, when I went to Disneyland as a kid there was a protest and it was just a small group of people with signs standing on the sidewalk.
                              I'd worry about this one...

(Unless the authorities get a grip on it and prevent it from getting too out of hand)

Comment

They closed the 15 minute lot and Pumba today - removed all trash cans, and que chains / poles - basically anything that isn't nailed down. Placed a couple of cop cars at the entrance and I'm sure they could summon an army of cops if needed in a jiffy.

Why are they protesting Disney now? What did they do to bring the wrath of local thugs upon them?
                                Hidden Mickey - Tower of Terror

Hidden Mickey's here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/whatzup...7623565921220/
                                Check out my Wal't Apartment tour here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/whatzup/sets/72157625183415995/

Comment

Originally posted by CMHusband View Post
                                  They closed the 15 minute lot and Pumba today - removed all trash cans, and que chains / poles - basically anything that isn't nailed down. Placed a couple of cop cars at the entrance and I'm sure they could summon an army of cops if needed in a jiffy.

Why are they protesting Disney now? What did they do to bring the wrath of local thugs upon them?
                                  There have been 7 officer-involved shootings in Anaheim so far this year. According to the protesters, Disneyland owns Anaheim and therefore control the cops. So instead of protesting outside of Anaheim City Hall, which they already did, they figured that protesting in front of Disneyland would get their point across more to the company that they feel is ultimately responsible.

Comment

Some people...
                                    I almost swear this country is getting so darn stupid.
                                    DisneyTwins
                                    Since May 2003

Comment

Originally posted by DisneyIPresume View Post
                                      There have been 7 officer-involved shootings in Anaheim so far this year. According to the protesters, Disneyland owns Anaheim and therefore control the cops. So instead of protesting outside of Anaheim City Hall, which they already did, they figured that protesting in front of Disneyland would get their point across more to the company that they feel is ultimately responsible.
                                      Yeah I ran across a video from some organization propounding that theory. The person just made him/herself sound ignorant. They are calling for protests this weekend and every weekend until Disneyland 'makes' Anaheim deal with the 'corrupt' police, because Disneyland 'owns and runs Anaheim'. I will not post a link to the video nor name the group posting it nor say where I saw the video as I don't want to further their 'cause' by generating hits on it. They're also calling for a boycott on Disneyland. That's ok, less people in the Park!
                                      "Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.​"

Comment

People are truely sad a pathetic. Silly cops shooting "innocent" gang members!

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                        Working...
                                        X