• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JerrodDRagon
    Adventure First, Ad Last
    • Mar 2006

Re: Protest at noon today 7/28/2012

If Disney really owned the city...there would be much more to the resort then we have now....

Also no offense to people...but Disney is the reason here town is very well funded they get soo many taxes from hotels and money made by Disney....lets not forget all the people fired at the park year round and the constitutions workers
    Happy Halloween!!!

Comment

• calsig31
      -
      • Aug 2009

There is already a thread on this.

"Greetings, Starfighter! You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Xur and the Ko-Dan Armada."

Comment

• ShelbyH
        MiceChatter
        • Mar 2011

Originally posted by JerrodDRagon View Post
        Disney is the reason here town is very well funded they get soo many taxes from hotels and money made by Disney.
        But the city is not well-funded at all. There are gang and graffiti problems all over the place, our libraries can't even open until 11:00 because of cuts, and our public schools are among the very worst in Orange County. Anaheim Hills is a wealthy area but does not represent the majority of Anaheim. Drive in a 5 mile radius around the resort and tell me it's a well-funded city. The average home rice in Anaheim is $340,000 while in bordering Fullerton it's $395,000, bordering Orange it's $430,00, Yorba Linda it's $588,400. Anaheim is slightly above its neighboring cities of Garden Grove and Santa Ana. Don't get me wrong, I love living in Anaheim, but it's hardly well-funded or rich by any means.

Comment

• JerrodDRagon
          Adventure First, Ad Last
          • Mar 2006

^haha well then their is a problem then....really the city should be MORE then as funded as it is now...

I don't think it's Disney Faults through someone in the government is messing up because Disney is bring enough tax money in to fund a town it's self not including the HIGH hotel taxes from ALL of those hotels around the area
          Happy Halloween!!!

Comment

• ShelbyH
            MiceChatter
            • Mar 2011

Originally posted by JerrodDRagon View Post
            ^haha well then their is a problem then....really the city should be MORE then as funded as it is now...

I don't think it's Disney Faults through someone in the government is messing up because Disney is bring enough tax money in to fund a town it's self not including the HIGH hotel taxes from ALL of those hotels around the area
            Oh absolutely it's not Disney's fault. And Disney itself only pays bed tax on three of the many, many hotels around the resort. Believe me, many Anaheim residents are not happy about the situation and in fact were protesting a recent giveaway to developers at the city council meeting earlier this week. There were actually 3 items on the city council ballot that residents wanted their voices heard about, two of which had nothing to do with the police shootings, but their protest got folded in with the other, and then the stupid hooligans came out and shouted obscenities at the police, threw rocks and spat on the police and passing cars, and kicked police cars. It was ridiculous and there were several legit protestors trying to diffuse the situation. As it got dark, a small group of people stayed around just to make trouble and that's where the property damage, etc. came in.

There's just no need for property damage. It's ridiculous and counter-productive. I hate it when people resort to that.

Comment

• JMazz
              Banned User
              • May 2012

re: Protests today (7/28) at the resort- Merged

Originally posted by calsig31 View Post
              It may be a great time to ride the Monorail if it is running. As you skirt Harbor Blvd you can get a birds-eye view of all the chaos.
              Or a rock to the face.

This is looking so bad nationwide. People I know are considering canceling their trips and using a clause in thier insnc they purchased: "...act of god, civil unrest..." While at this point I think it is a bit extreme to go and cancell while this blows over, I was told, it will make their upcoming trip (2 months out) a whole lot easier to re-book to another destanation.

I dunno what to think about all this. I found it very interesting when I saw a mass of ppl in Paris protesting, even when they were chucking bottles and stones at the police. But when it seems like it can be so close to DL, I quite frankly find it unnerving. Maybe it is my emotional atachment to the park... hmmmm. This one is a thinker for sure.

Comment

• JMazz
                Banned User
                • May 2012

Re: Another political protest involving Disneyland - the Yippie Invasion of 1970

Thx for this post. Davelandweb.com is so great. I recently discovered his site a couple months ago.

Comment

• calsig31
                  -
                  • Aug 2009

Originally posted by JMazz View Post
                  Or a rock to the face.
                  If its that bad they won't be running the Monorail. They wouldn't risk getting a rock through the window or worse.
                  "Greetings, Starfighter! You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Xur and the Ko-Dan Armada."

Comment

• JulieMouse
                    I'm wishing
                    • Dec 2006

Looks like it was nothing to worry about...according to the OC Register, there were as many journalists there as protesters and there was no disruption to people walking or driving.

By LOU PONSI and MICHAEL MELLO / THE ORANGE COUNTY REGISTER ANAHEIM – Visitors to Disneyland are used to spectacle, but visitors to the park's main entrance on Saturday afternoon saw something unusual: Protesters with signs criticizing the Anaheim Police Department.
                    Most of the protestors were from Los Angeles, and were part of Mexica Movement, an indigenous rights group that considers "Hispanic" and "Latino" as pejorative, "Eurocentric" labels.
                    Tourists watch as a small group of people protest outside the Disneyland Resort in Anaheim on Saturday, calling for action against police officers involved in shootings this past week.
                    MARK EADES, THE ORANGE COUNTY REGISTER

ADVERTISEMENT

They were in town to protest the recent spate of fatal officer-involved shootings in Anaheim a week ago. City officials have called for state and federal investigations into the incidents.
                    The number of journalists in front of Disneyland nearly matched the sized of the group of sign-toting protesters, who numbered about a dozen.
                    One sign read, "End police violence", another "No more racist cops." A third depicted a character resembling Mickey Mouse giving a Nazi salute.
                    Tourists gave the protesters curious looks, some of them stopping to read the signs as they walked into the park, or even snapping photos of the protesters. Many tourists simply walked into the park.
                    About 100 yards south on Harbor Boulevard, more than 10 mounted police officers stood by watching and every few minutes an Anaheim police car cruised up the street.

Comment

• Mac Daddy
                      Nikon +Disneyland = :)
                      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
                      • Jun 2005

About the same turnout as yesterday according to this story just posted on the OC Register Website:

Small group protests at Disneyland | protesters, police, anaheim - News - The Orange County Register

I won't post my thoughts on these...um...protesters as that is better suited for the debate forum, but the Nazi Mickey Mouse thing really drives me nuts. Mickey had NOTHING to do with the incident a few days ago. I would hazard to guess that most people are looking at these protesters today and rolling their eyes. I know I am.

Comment

• Stormy
                        Chief Troublemaker

• May 2012

Thanks for the update, Juliemouse. I'm so glad this turned out to be a 'non-event'. Hopefully it will get little to no TV coverage which I think would discourage a repeat 'performance'.
                        ​"Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.​"

Comment

• sdjeff4sc
                          MiceChatter
                          • May 2008

Let's be honest here...... Cops shooting civilians is a serious issue (and I'm a huge supporter of law enforcement), and the people who live in the area of Anaheim where the shootings occurred have a right to protest, not necessarily to destroy the property of others, but nonetheless to register their unhappiness with the way things are publicly. We live in America, and protest is a form of protected 1st Amendment speech. I don't sympathize with the protesters, but you have to ask yourself, how many police-involved shootings are there in Anaheim Hills?

The City has already asked the FBI and Dept. of Justice to investigate, so I'm not afraid of any cover-up, but let's remember here, people's lives have been lost - the amusement value of a theme park is a small issue comparatively. Think of those people's family's!

Politically, the City of Anaheim is VERY closely tied to the DLR but yet the bed-taxes the City collects do not account for ALL of the City's budget. The economic downturn has led to a reduction in the collection of the bed-tax, yet the City recently voted to grant another $158M in tax benefits to the eventual owners/operators of hotels w/in the resort district. With budgets strained, one can only imagine how bad that looked from a PR standpoint.

Combine all of this w/ the perception among many in Anaheim that Disney "owns" them, and the Unite union's efforts to obtain higher benefits for the DLR's housekeeping staff and you would have to be blind not to see how many in Anaheim see Disney as "pulling the strings" of the Anaheim City Council. Someone once said, "All Politics are Local", and here we have a perfect example of just that - except in this case it happens to impinge on our love for Disneyland........

Whatever you think about Disney or Disneyland, Anaheim is suffering from much of the same economic malaise as much of the rest of the country, reduced budgets, poorly maintained streets, reduced services..... and NOW..... the cops have shot several people within the space of a few days......... people have died!

As much as most of us love all things Disney, there's more serious issues at work here than just how much we enjoy going to Disneyland! Let's all hope that something can be done to address the legitimate concerns of those people in Anaheim who feel mistreated while at the same time preserving the peace, give comfort to the families of those who have been lost, and at the same time preserve our little chunk of heaven and make-believe set down in the midst of a tragically real world..........

Peace Out!

Comment

• ShelbyH
                            MiceChatter
                            • Mar 2011

Thank you sdjeff4sc . I am an Anaheim resident and agree with what you said. However, sometimes outside groups take advantage of protest causes to push their own agenda and gain their own notoriety. There have been two organizations not made up of Anaheim residents who have taken this opportunity to put themselves and their own ideas in the spotlight. If you read the article Mac Daddy linked above, it's not Anaheim residents protesting in front of Disneyland.

Of the two shootings last weekend, one was a man fleeing a scene firing a weapon at police. The other was an unarmed man, and that is the case that is extremely troubling. The city council voted to ask for a federal investigation, an action that is, in my opinion, entirely appropriate and necessary. The young man's family has continually asked protesters to not use violence or aggressive confrontation. At this point, nothing more can be done until the investigation has run its course, yet other groups who don't live in Anaheim want to use this tragedy to gain attention for themselves. Disneyland was chosen because it's highly visible.

Comment

• rob3gd
                              MiceChatter
                              • Aug 2009

Honestly, i wish the protesters would put this much energy towards the gangs and drug dealers that actually terrorize their neighborhoods instead of taking thier protest to Disneyland, like they have the power to change the department or something.
                              "Ladies and gentlemen, boys and girls, Disneyland proudly presents our spectacular festival pageant of nighttime magic and imagination in thousands of sparkling lights and electro-synthe-magnetic musical sounds. The Main Street Electrical Parade!"

Comment

• Mr Wiggins

• Jan 2005

Originally posted by sdjeff4sc View Post
                                Let's be honest here...... Cops shooting civilians is a serious issue (and I'm a huge supporter of law enforcement), and the people who live in the area of Anaheim where the shootings occurred have a right to protest, not necessarily to destroy the property of others, but nonetheless to register their unhappiness with the way things are publicly. We live in America, and protest is a form of protected 1st Amendment speech. I don't sympathize with the protesters, but you have to ask yourself, how many police-involved shootings are there in Anaheim Hills?

The City has already asked the FBI and Dept. of Justice to investigate, so I'm not afraid of any cover-up, but let's remember here, people's lives have been lost - the amusement value of a theme park is a small issue comparatively. Think of those people's family's!

Politically, the City of Anaheim is VERY closely tied to the DLR but yet the bed-taxes the City collects do not account for ALL of the City's budget. The economic downturn has led to a reduction in the collection of the bed-tax, yet the City recently voted to grant another $158M in tax benefits to the eventual owners/operators of hotels w/in the resort district. With budgets strained, one can only imagine how bad that looked from a PR standpoint.

Combine all of this w/ the perception among many in Anaheim that Disney "owns" them, and the Unite union's efforts to obtain higher benefits for the DLR's housekeeping staff and you would have to be blind not to see how many in Anaheim see Disney as "pulling the strings" of the Anaheim City Council. Someone once said, "All Politics are Local", and here we have a perfect example of just that - except in this case it happens to impinge on our love for Disneyland........

Whatever you think about Disney or Disneyland, Anaheim is suffering from much of the same economic malaise as much of the rest of the country, reduced budgets, poorly maintained streets, reduced services..... and NOW..... the cops have shot several people within the space of a few days......... people have died!

As much as most of us love all things Disney, there's more serious issues at work here than just how much we enjoy going to Disneyland! Let's all hope that something can be done to address the legitimate concerns of those people in Anaheim who feel mistreated while at the same time preserving the peace, give comfort to the families of those who have been lost, and at the same time preserve our little chunk of heaven and make-believe set down in the midst of a tragically real world..........

Peace Out!
                                Kudos sdjeff4sc for an excellent post!
                                "Disneyland is often called a magic kingdom because
                                it combines fantasy and history, adventure and learning,
                                together with every variety of recreation and fun,
                                designed to appeal to everyone."

- Walt Disney

"Disneyland is all about turning movies into rides."
                                - Michael Eisner

"It's very symbiotic."
                                - Bob Chapek

Comment

• Baloo
                                  • Jun 2005

Re: Protests today (7/28) at the resort- Merged

I'm glad the turn out was not as big as they hoped for. On Facebook they had over 900 people mostly from Los Angeles and other neighboring cities lined up to go.

Interesting thing is that it is being reported that all protestors were from other cities besides Anaheim and the protest is being led by a group calling these ncidents a racial agenda.

I don't mind people being passionate about things but I wish they would understand what they are supposedly fighting for. Sad thing it was mostly young people upset at police and turning the events into a race issue.

I saw a bit of it on the news and actually had to laugh when a lady from Hemet which was protesting was upset and police forces for shooting her relative. What made me laugh was that she basically admitted that the relative was a known gang member and that this person was shot during a confrontation with police.

Comment

• PetiteMortKvsh
                                    Just drawn that way
                                    • Jul 2012

Re: Protests today (7/28) at the resort- Merged

I live here in Anaheim. I go to Disneyland when ever can. I live within walking distance of the park. And it's not as bad as everyone seems to be fabricating in their heads. A few punk people the first few days were out of hand. I'm not going to avoid Disneyland infact I'd rather be there than at home while this is going on. Anaheim does need a few changes, and I am sure if Disney could they'd clean up this mess.
                                    For anyone who is coming for a vacation! You don't need to cancel just yet. Just avoid the protest area if possible.
                                    Little and broken, but still good.

Comment

• OliviaVonDrake
                                      Sock Puppet
                                      • Jun 2005

Originally posted by Disneytwins View Post
                                      Some people...
                                      I almost swear this country is getting so darn stupid.
                                      Originally posted by Kritter View Post
                                      People are truely sad a pathetic. Silly cops shooting "innocent" gang members!
                                      Originally posted by rob3gd View Post
                                      Honestly, i wish the protesters would put this much energy towards the gangs and drug dealers that actually terrorize their neighborhoods instead of taking thier protest to Disneyland, like they have the power to change the department or something.
                                      I weep for the future.

Comment

• DisneyIPresume
                                        Beach Expert
                                        • Sep 2006

Originally posted by rob3gd View Post
                                        Who do you think the protesters were?

Comment

• ducktalesfan5555
                                          Quintessential Studmuffin
                                          • Aug 2009

Re: Another political protest involving Disneyland - the Yippie Invasion of 1970

Originally posted by rkkm View Post
                                          As Disneyland faces the possibility of protest demonstrations today, I wanted to share another chapter in the history of protests at Disneyland - the Yippie Invasion of 1970

Daveland Disneyland Yippie Photos
                                          Very dark day in Disneyland indeed. They should've denied those dirty hippies, yuppies, or whatever those idiots what to be called entry in the first place. That article seems to be on the pro-hippie side. A couple of the contributors are
                                          even condoning the behaviors of the invaders (pot smoking in the parks, taking down the American flag, etc.) as "peaceful". I feel sorry for the guests, whose stay was cut short thanks to those disgusting human beings.

Hopefully today's protest won't be like the 1970 Hippie invasion.

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                          Working...
                                          X