This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Other] The Picnic Area = the most underrated part of the Disneyland Resort

I always pack my lunch when I spend the day in Disneyland... around 12-1 the heat or hunger inevitably creeps in, we notice the lines are now getting longer... So my family heads back to the lockers, gets our cooler full of picnic food, and we enjoy what is IMO the most peacefully quiet, restful parts of the resort outside of your own hotel room.

I don't think I have ever been there and seen more than like 3 families. Middle of summer, multi-hour lines for Space Mountain, etc... doesn't matter, the picnic is like a little oasis of calm in the middle of a hectic vacation resort with dozens of thousands of people

lockers right there
    plenty of clean tables
    plenty of shade and the walls provide a good sense of isolation
    water fountains or soda vending machines if you need em
    since it's so empty, it's a great place for kids to run around freely without disturbing anyone else
    since it's picnic food you packed yourself, it's better and cheaper than what you buy inside the park

seriously, all they need to do is add a few microwaves to reheat food, and it would be perfect

Oh, and don't tell anyone it exists, or it may get crowded just like the rest of the resort, haha

Re: The Picnic Area = the most underrated part of the Disneyland Resort

It's used much less now that you're allowed to bring food into the park. I agree it's a nice area for taking a break.

Comment

This is one of the things I really like about the construction of DCA, Downtown Disney, and all. There was a picnic area before that was really just a couple of tables, and nothing special. This one is beautiful, and still allows you to be immersed in the escape of Disneyland, even though you're out of the gates.
      http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...oto-heavy.html
      http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ip-report.html
      http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...something.html

No matter where you go, there you are.

Comment

We love the picnic area and tell people about it all the time. The only thing that's wrong with it is that there is no restroom. If you need to go while you are there, you have to go back through security.
        "...It's dead wore out I be...a might too fast these light footed wenches be, for the likes of an old swagbellied pirate such as I..."

"*click-click-click-click-click-click-click.......sploosh!!*"(Sir Didymus)

Comment

I never knew it was there until I was a CM and haven't been back since I wasn't a CM. That was 17 years ago.

I feel old now...
          Jeff made me famous!
          From the Mouth of the Mouse.

Comment

Originally posted by ShelbyH View Post
            It's used much less now that you're allowed to bring food into the park. I agree it's a nice area for taking a break.
            you're allowed to bring food into the park now?
            That's as it should be.

Comment

Originally posted by ShelbyH View Post
              When did this policy change take effect? This is news to me. It's awesome if it's true!
              "I do not like to repeat successes. I like to go on to other things." - Walt Disney

Comment

Originally posted by SwankbelliedPirate View Post
                We love the picnic area and tell people about it all the time. The only thing that's wrong with it is that there is no restroom. If you need to go while you are there, you have to go back through security.
                isnt the restrooms right there next to the lockers

---------- Post added 07-30-2012 at 06:22 PM ----------

Originally posted by 4th Gen Disney Fan View Post
                When did this policy change take effect? This is news to me. It's awesome if it's true!
                i didnt know about it rather tell my coworker got back and told me as long as its in a soft side cooler its ok cant wait iced tea all day long and not nescafe tea real brewed tea

Comment

Yes, we bring in our own food all the time. I usually just pack a backpack full of snacks and drinks to have throughout the day and still buy lunch. My friends always bring in pre-made sandwiches for lunch.
                  Now, I don't know if this is true, but I was told that you have to bring in pre-made items. For instance, you can't bring in a jar of p-nut butter and jelly and a loaf of bread to make sandwiches there. Again, I heard this through the grape vine, so I don't know if that is true.
                  I usually bring in a ton of chips and cookies, sodas, and bottle waters. I have never had any issues and the CMs have often commented that it is a smart thing to do when I go through security.

Comment

I used to bring in footlong Subway subs to the parks packed in a lunchbox with ice packs. They fill you up for lunch and you can also snack on them later on. I'm all about bringing my own food now since I have so many food allergies.
                    I've eaten at the picnic area one time when I was an AP and it was very peaceful and secluded. A nice break from all the noise and people.

Facebook me!
                    Join in the Disney fun at MyVMK!

Comment

No glass bottles or large coolers, but everything else is fine. I have seen people eating unassembled food (sandwich parts assembled at the park, for example). The rules are technically contradictory, for example one rule says no outside food and another says no coolers larger than whatever, but they have gotten very lax about what type of food and drink they allow in the park.

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X