Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Pirate's League Comes To Disneyland Park!

Collapse

Get Away Today

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The Pirate's League Comes To Disneyland Park!

Originally posted by hobbitfeet View Post
    Pirate's Lair on Tom Sawyer's Island is a place for running around, doing stuff, getting hot and sweaty and all of that. That does not go together with getting face makeup *at all*. If my son played first, he would be dripping with sweat and the makeup woudln't stick. If he did it first, he would either sweat off the makeup in the first 5 minutes, or we would go there, get the makeover, and leave the island, which would result in a really frustrated 1/3 of my family.
    Thematically speaking it fits better there. We have established that it would be almost literally impossible for it to actually be there.

Comment

Originally posted by explodingboy View Post
      Thematically speaking it fits better there. We have established that it would be almost literally impossible for it to actually be there.
      First off....why would you pay for this at night? Only having the stuff on for 2-4 hours? I would they;d be done by dusk

Second I don't think it will be a problem getting enough people to the island, it's not like this is a big E ticket event

I would not mind it if they choose a better place to do it
      Happy Halloween!!!

Comment

IDK what to think about this, but I personally think pirates should stay in POTC, where they belong. NOS should get more New Orleansy stuff like jazz musicians, atmospheric entertainment, dancers, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by JerrodDRagon View Post
          First off....why would you pay for this at night? Only having the stuff on for 2-4 hours? I would they;d be done by dusk

Second I don't think it will be a problem getting enough people to the island, it's not like this is a big E ticket event

I would not mind it if they choose a better place to do it
          To answer your first question, it is stated in the article that it is going to be going on during Mickey's Halloween Party so it will be at night. Why would people pay? Well maybe their kids want to have it done, or they are dressed as pirates already and just want the makeup done? That answer should not only answer your first question but your second, too. TSI closes at dusk so again, impossible for it to be placed there.

Comment

Good to see disney catering more to boys now. Aladdins oasis would have been a much better location if they returned it and what not. Kinda expected this, but I always thought it would be indy themed or something, because I didn't think there was slot of space in NOS.

http://www.youtube.com/user/ridesandstuff

Comment

I wish we'd stop gendering things. There will be plenty of girls lined up to be pirates too. Why is there the need to immediately assign it to one gender or another?

Aside from that, why don't they just put this into one of the storefronts in NOS? That would make more sense than shoehorning it into the beautiful Court of Angels.
              Merida looks like this. Not a Barbie doll!

Comment

Just an FYI for anybody who wants to get their face painted like a pirate. In 2008, my four nieces got their faces painted at the Fantasy Faire, and one of them was on a real anti-Princess roll at the moment, so she got her face painted like a pirate instead: black eye-patch face paint, gnarly scars, skeletal face, etc.

Anyway, that night, most of the paint washed off except for the eyepatch. It left a dark circle over her eye, and she spent the rest of the trip with what appeared to be a giant black eye. That can be a little bit awkward on a family vacation in a theme park...

Comment

Originally posted by imaginashton View Post
                  Good to see disney catering more to boys now. Aladdins oasis would have been a much better location if they returned it and what not. Kinda expected this, but I always thought it would be indy themed or something, because I didn't think there was slot of space in NOS.
                  Wow....This is such a duh moment here's the perfect place for it.

Plenty of Room...in still near Pirates. Wow this is were it should go for now
                  Happy Halloween!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Malina View Post
                    I wish we'd stop gendering things. There will be plenty of girls lined up to be pirates too. Why is there the need to immediately assign it to one gender or another?

Aside from that, why don't they just put this into one of the storefronts in NOS? That would make more sense than shoehorning it into the beautiful Court of Angels.
                    Never said girls can't be pirates either, just that disney created this for the male demographic, and they make it obvious in their promotional images.

Comment

Originally posted by imaginashton View Post
                      Never said girls can't be pirates either, just that disney created this for the male demographic, and they make it obvious in their promotional images.
                      Well, the blog has one photo of a boy pirate and one photo of a girl...it seems pretty 50-50 there.

I just worry that when we constantly say things are "for boys" or "for girls" we're shoving kids into very strict gender roles, and we're alienating the ones who don't want to fit that. Like the boys who might like the BBB or girls who want to be pirates.
                      Merida looks like this. Not a Barbie doll!

Comment

Originally posted by Santoanderson View Post
                        Just an FYI for anybody who wants to get their face painted like a pirate. In 2008, my four nieces got their faces painted at the Fantasy Faire, and one of them was on a real anti-Princess roll at the moment, so she got her face painted like a pirate instead: black eye-patch face paint, gnarly scars, skeletal face, etc.

Anyway, that night, most of the paint washed off except for the eyepatch. It left a dark circle over her eye, and she spent the rest of the trip with what appeared to be a giant black eye. That can be a little bit awkward on a family vacation in a theme park...
                        Awkward but hilarious.

Comment

Well said. Unfortunately for the thematic ambiance of classic Disneyland, segmentation by gender and age is the essence of the demographic-based marketing that is the hallmark of Disney's media marketing machine.

Everything about the Court of Angels -- from its designer and the studio head who hired him, to its purpose as a quiet pause in the bustle and business of New Orleans Square's shops -- is the product of a company philosophy that no longer exists.
                          "Disneyland is often called a magic kingdom because
                          it combines fantasy and history, adventure and learning,
                          together with every variety of recreation and fun,
                          designed to appeal to everyone."

- Walt Disney

"Disneyland is all about turning movies into rides."
                          - Michael Eisner

"It's very symbiotic."
                          - Bob Chapek

Comment

Originally posted by Pinrar View Post
                            There are quite a few quiet little spots at DL for purists and hardcore fans to appreciate. But there are even fewer places where boys can become part of the magic. Can't we give just this one to them?
                            Thing is... how much longer can we say this? There's only so much space in DL for the attractions, shows and shops as-is, let alone the scenery and atmosphere. Now we want to take away from the necessary serenity/beauty spaces just for more shops? Why not displace a shop for a shop so the delicate balance between it all is maintained? If they keep going their current route, DL will not only seem like a glorified shopping mall, but it will be one.

I don't think this will happen overnight, but it certainly needs to be kept in mind for the long-term survival of the park as a whole. I already hear many people complain that DL is just a cash-grab as it is, so they steer clear of it either because they're opposed to that idea or the fact that they just can't justify spending so much for a short stint in a theme park. So how much more can it realistically take before no one goes anymore because it's just a pretty mall?

My solution for the matter-at-hand is to remove South Seas Traders in favor of Pirates' League. The store only seems to sell Billabong and other typical popular brands as it is, so I don't think it will be a major loss on that account. There's plenty of room in that shop for this experience, not to mention Adventureland is a natural fit for pirates.

And in response to Aladdin's Oasis idea... it's my opinion that it should be left as a restaurant space (for future development, of course) particularly because Adventureland could really use a major dining establishment. I'm sorry, but Bengal BBQ just doesn't cut it. AL only has snack foods at the moment and this is one thing keeping it from feeling more substantial than it does at the moment.

Comment

oh, yay. another pirates experience. because it's so difficult to find pirates at Disneyland.

Comment

I very much agree with both of these points.

Comment

Originally posted by Pinrar View Post
                                  There are quite a few quiet little spots at DL for purists and hardcore fans to appreciate. But there are even fewer places where boys can become part of the magic. Can't we give just this one to them?
                                  Isn't the very purpose of Disneyland's existence designed to provide escapism and therefore help guests become part of the magic? If this shop is needed to deliver this, then Disneyland has failed. The magic comes from within each and every guest. Disneyland should be a magical place for all guests free of additional charge instead of forcing them to pay a premium for it.

Comment

Well, the blog has one photo of a boy pirate and one photo of a girl...it seems pretty 50-50 there.

I just worry that when we constantly say things are "for boys" or "for girls" we're shoving kids into very strict gender roles, and we're alienating the ones who don't want to fit that. Like the boys who might like the BBB or girls who want to be pirates.
                                    True..

---------- Post added 08-02-2012 at 08:20 AM ----------

Originally posted by Flickering Bulb View Post
                                    oh, yay. another pirates experience. because it's so difficult to find pirates at Disneyland.
                                    REALLY! I'm so tired of pirates at disneyland. there's tons of properties disney can use beside pirates all the time. But I guess thats popular right now.

Comment

lol soon enough NOS will be nothing but pirates

Comment

Pirates is what's popular at the moment. Who knows; maybe that Guillermo Del Toro Haunted Mansion movie that's been rumored for a while will end up making a billion dollars, and that'll turn NOS into Haunted Mansion land for a couple of years.

Comment

Yeah! Between Pirates of the Caribbean and...um...Peter Pan! And...uh, the band in NOS! Yeah, down with pirates!

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                          Working...
                                          X