What do you think of the new Matterhorn Bobsleds? (Merged)

Collapse

Get Away Today

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Hayley B
    Delawarean Girl
    • Jun 2006

[Question] What do you think of the new Matterhorn Bobsleds? (Merged)

Hi MiceChatters,

I wanted to know what do you think of the new Matterhorn Bobsleds? I've been hearing beyond the MiceChat that some people think it's too jerky now.

The Matterhorn is one of my favorite rides at Disneyland. But it's going to be a longtime til I get to ride it again.

I would like to hear about your thoughts though.

Thanks!

-Hayley B.
    Last edited by Hayley B; 08-02-2012, 09:03 AM.
    Hayley B. - MiceChat's very own Delawarean. :bow:

Join MiceChat Gold.

• Low Saturn
    MiceChatter
    • Aug 2011

I think they're better than the old ones. I'm 6'-4" and fit in the just fine. On the old sleds, I really didn't like how you had to straddle someone. It made it way too cramped. And when I rode alone, I was all over the place. The new sleds eliminate all that. Plus it seemed like the ride was smoother.

Comment

• doppio
      2 shots on the rocks.
      • May 2006

re: What do you think of the new Matterhorn Bobsleds? (Merged)

Love 'em. No more head banging.

Comment

• WDI33
        Tour Ready
        • Jan 2005

They are Terrible!!! I am 6' and had a very uncomfortable ride in the middle and back seats. The Tomorrowland side is absolute torture which really upsets me because that was my faorite side to ride! I got banged around and came out sore from trying to stabilize myself. Sitting completely flat with no leg room with my knees in my chest is not my idea of an improvement...

Comment

• Skyway1981
          New MiceChatter
          • Feb 2010

The Matterhorn is my favorite ride and I usually ride it 5-10 times when we vacation to the parks. We were in the parks last week and I took full advantage of the single rider line. I probably got around 10 rides in. After reading all the horror stories of the new bobsleds I was looking forward to trying them out and giving my own opinion. I'm 6'3", 215lbs and found that seats 1 & 4 were actually the most comfortable. When riding in the other seats, I had to put my feet up on the hump behind the others seats, with my knees in my chin basically. I tried using the cubby holes but they twisted my ankle at an odd angle. The track isn't rougher, its the lack of padding offered now that really roughs up the ride. Portions of the Tomorrowland side are horrendous. I found the best solution is to hold the bars in front and lean forward so your back isn't on the back rest. Even this way, you still have to watch the track and brace for turns and dips. Overall, I prefer the older sleds, but the single rider line and the way the mountain looks inside and out are great. I just don't see myself being able to handle that ride in my later years . Oh and the lighting effects on the second two Harolds are awesome. He is in the dark until your sled approaches, and then the lights come on to reveal him. Much more of a surprise than before!

Comment

• Princess Victoria
            • Jan 2008

The one time I rode it I didn't notice much difference, to be honest. The sleds themselves are smoother, and yes, there's less leg room, but at my height of 5'4 it was comfortable enough for me.

Comment

• Fooferah
              New MiceChatter
              • Jul 2012

I'm pretty short, and the one time I've ridden the new sleds, I was in the very front. I found the side handles very awkward to hold on to (I'm not an arms putter upper). Other than that, it was great. It's always been rough, but it's supposed to be a bobsled, so that's the whole point and it's cool.

About that single rider line... so, do you have to wait in the regular line that wraps around the mountain with everyone else, then break off at the part under the enclosure, or is there some way to enter single rider totally separately, like at RSR? I didn't really get how it worked, but I was in a group of 3 anyway, and was waiting with general population.

Comment

• Jspider
                • Jan 2005

Originally posted by Fooferah View Post
                I'm pretty short, and the one time I've ridden the new sleds, I was in the very front. I found the side handles very awkward to hold on to (I'm not an arms putter upper). Other than that, it was great. It's always been rough, but it's supposed to be a bobsled, so that's the whole point and it's cool.

About that single rider line... so, do you have to wait in the regular line that wraps around the mountain with everyone else, then break off at the part under the enclosure, or is there some way to enter single rider totally separately, like at RSR? I didn't really get how it worked, but I was in a group of 3 anyway, and was waiting with general population.
                It has a seperate entrance for single rider that isn't really abundantly clear and kinda strange.

I don't ride the Matterhorn enough to report on smoothness but I rode it twice durring my trip. The longer lines for the attraction struck me as a little strange though single rider makes things really fast. While I didn't find the cars uncomfortable the almost completely flat floor struck me as strange and its a bit odd to climb into with the feet holes and whatever (I'm about 6ft 2) I think the stranger part is how to climb out of them. I found it odd standing up both times I rode.
                "We all have sparks, imagination! it's how our minds... create creations!"

Comment

• NickyTea
                  New MiceChatter
                  • Jul 2012

The smoothness (or lack of thereof) is comparable to its previous life, but the ride vehicles are less ... intimate. I leave that to you to interpret as a positive or negative change.

Comment

• Ryancr78
                    We set sail for the sky
                    • Nov 2005

Why oh why didn't they just copy this design? Look at all of that delightful padding.

Click image for larger version

Name:	400px-WDW_SpaceMountain_Train2009.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	34.2 KB
ID:	7344190

Comment

• Mickey Dude
                      Animator in Training!
                      • Jan 2007

I loved it but I won't ride it anymore. I'm only 5'10 and thin, I have a really hard time fitting into the new ones. They also put a lot of pressure on my knees and it makes it so I can't ride and enjoy t. I'm in pain pretty much the whole time. Really suck because I really love the ride...
                      "If you can dream it, you can do it."-Walt Disney

Comment

• zugzug15
                        Master of Disaster
                        • Jan 2005

the new ride vehicles are a pain in the @8$3 (pun intended)

Comment

• sgtfox
                          DL College Program 97/98
                          • Feb 2008

Anyone have photos of these "feet holes?" I'm curious to see what they actually look like...

Comment

• Slappypunk
                            Foolish Mortal
                            • Jul 2012

I like them but I just hate that it's too jerky.

"So make the best of this test and don't ask why. It's not a question but a lesson learned in time."- Green Day
                            "The harder you work, the luckier you get."- Billie Joe Armstrong
                            "This is my rage. This is my love. This is my town. This is my city. This is my life."

Comment

• caliban
                              New MiceChatter
                              • Jul 2012

I rode the matterhorn the other day. Im 6'3" and size 13 shoe. I barely fit inside and was uncomfortable. Is it me or is the ride slower?

Comment

• Shorty26
                                MiceChatter
                                • Aug 2007

Love em and Im 6'2.
                                sigpic

Comment

• Steve DeGaetano
                                  Banned User
                                  • Feb 2005

It was supposed to be a bobsled...It's not any more. The tandem seating was a teen-age boy's dream come true...

Comment

• SteveFlack
                                    New MiceChatter
                                    • Jun 2012

Love it. For the first time, I can sit in the front (nobody ever let me sit front in tandem). Also, the single rider line is awesome. There was an over an hour wait, and I got to ride both sides of the mountain in under 15 minutes.

Comment

• Bronco21
                                      Insomniac
                                      • May 2011

Originally posted by Skyway1981 View Post
                                      The Matterhorn is my favorite ride and I usually ride it 5-10 times when we vacation to the parks. We were in the parks last week and I took full advantage of the single rider line. I probably got around 10 rides in. After reading all the horror stories of the new bobsleds I was looking forward to trying them out and giving my own opinion. I'm 6'3", 215lbs and found that seats 1 & 4 were actually the most comfortable. When riding in the other seats, I had to put my feet up on the hump behind the others seats, with my knees in my chin basically. I tried using the cubby holes but they twisted my ankle at an odd angle. The track isn't rougher, its the lack of padding offered now that really roughs up the ride. Portions of the Tomorrowland side are horrendous. I found the best solution is to hold the bars in front and lean forward so your back isn't on the back rest. Even this way, you still have to watch the track and brace for turns and dips. Overall, I prefer the older sleds, but the single rider line and the way the mountain looks inside and out are great. I just don't see myself being able to handle that ride in my later years . Oh and the lighting effects on the second two Harolds are awesome. He is in the dark until your sled approaches, and then the lights come on to reveal him. Much more of a surprise than before!
                                      Wow it's as if I had already responded! This is exactly what I was going to put! (I'm even 6'3" 215 aswell!) I think I might have an evil twin... Or am I the evil twin? Although for me the single rider line makes the new sleds worth the lack of padding. My sister and I rode it 9 times in 2 hours with a stop in between to watch Soundsational and eat a pretzel! It was fantastic! Honestly though, its the same ride it was before. It's just as bumpy, justs as uncomfortable, just as jerky, and just as fun! If you think you need more padding, my advice would be to bring a cushion to sit on.
                                      Check out my Disney inspired creations.

https://picasaweb.google.com/110319393135337100862

Comment

• dfan07
                                        Johnny and Me!
                                        • May 2007

Rode single all the time in the previous design. Loved it!!! It was rough, it was fast, it was fun to go along for the ride!

Now - Have to say I don't love it.

Awkward seats - like sitting on the floor, feeling as if your feet are trapped, which in turn twists the ___ out of your knees and hips! OUCH!!! I am small, and it is very difficult to hold myself up off the back of the seat.
                                        It is a completely different experience - and not in a good way...
                                        It is just - BAD!!!!:thumbdown

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                        Working...
                                        X