• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DisneyGreek
    Sock Puppet
    • Jun 2011

[Question] Disney College Program?

So as I have mentioned in my previous post about cast member Lauren telling me to follow my dreams and never give up. I found out about the Disney College Program where once you are 18 you can work for Disney on a paid internship sort of a thing. I was just wondering if anyone has ever done it or knew someone who has. I really want to do this when I am older and in college but am wondering what is the experience you get out of it? Thanks!
  • PetiteMortKvsh
    Just drawn that way
    • Jul 2012

Re: Disney College Program?

I did the college program in Fl and in Cali. I preferred the program in Fl much better. Tons of opportunities: I worked and took some classes, shadowed people in the field I was there. I have met some of my best friends. I worked alot at Tower so could only go to classes and events around my work hours. My roommate went to almost all of the classes. I learn A.S.L in my free time. Hung out at many of the parks. I'd go back if I was still in school. I recommended it for many of my friends, who told me it was the best time of their lives.
    Little and broken, but still good.

Comment

• CSei2011
      Disney Obsessed
      • May 2011

I also did the DCP in FL in spring 2006. Best time of my life ever. My best friend and I kept saying we were going to go back and do it together... but life never really gave us a chance too... so DO IT as soon as you can! Don't let "real life" keep you from having your disney fun!

I still talk to some of my roommates and I have very fond special memories from the program, that remind me on bad days just how lucky a life I have had so far!

I have NOT done the DL version so I can't speak to how awesome or not it is.. but IMHO I think the FL is a better idea. For me personally I didn't want to work at my favorite park, I wanted that to stay a magical place for me.... and Florida has so many places to work, so many job opportunities, you are more likely to get in, and pick up random extra shifts just about any where you wanted on property to learn new things and try out new roles.

I promise, that no matter which park you go to if you love disney as much as you seem to, you won't regret it.

Comment

• Chuuster
        ooooooOO!
        • Jul 2012

Working with Disney will look fantastic on your resume especially if you plan to continue a career with Disney. Even if you don't, everyone knows that Disney expects a lot out of their employees/cast members. Regardless of what major you decide on, the experiences are all useful skills in life that can be transferred anywhere.

You will be able to get your foot in the Disney company, take college credit courses (depends if your school will accept them), learn and master the brilliance of cast member guidelines which can be applied elsewhere, meet influential people (corporate to friends), and master many ways of life such as patience, kindness, and so on.

One important matter that some people forget though is that it is still a job, and that means working hard. I know a couple of people that said the program did not live to their expectations.. but they expected nothing less of a vacation. Strive to improve yourself in the tasks and you will see yourself enjoying and improving as the DCP goes on.
        .:: ::.

Comment

• DisneyGreek
          Sock Puppet
          • Jun 2011

When and If I apply do I have to apply for specific things or is up to chance. Like do i ask where I want to go to CA or FL? Do I ask where I want to work? Also while in this do you go to college or does Disney give you college classes and credits? Thanks for all the great responses!

Comment

• Chuuster
            ooooooOO!
            • Jul 2012

Your welcome, my pleasure You can specify your preferred park, but it is not a guarantee. I once said I only preferred Disneyland and they were mainly hiring for WDW so I was not picked that semester. It is up to you if you are willing to open your options for a better chance or choose the one that you can accommodate for.

As for college, you could actually take classes from your college as long as it does not interfere with your schedule (whether it be on-campus or online courses.) Disney still enforces their college courses (mainly business related) that do offer credit but it depends on your school if they will accept them.
            .:: ::.

Comment

• CSei2011
              Disney Obsessed
              • May 2011

You need to be enrolled in at least one semester, so you can apply during your first college semester, and attend during the spring semester. That is the soonest you can get there.

Now taking classes is up to you. You can not take classes at all, and take a break from school, or you can take up to 2 classes a semester. If you're like most college kids and still on your parents insurance, you might be required to take 12 credit hours in order to stay on their insurance. If this is the case the easiest way to get those credits is go through a community college. Start your freshman year at a CC and talk to your adviser about your upcoming DCP experience, and they can usually help you find 2 classes that match the 2 classes you want to take at Disney (disney offers the classes, your school decides if you get credit for them) and how to make those classes translate (I had to keep binders of all the class materials and present it to a teacher to get the credits). Then your school can help you find 2 more independent studies courses so you can get your 12 credits. Universities are far less helpful with these things, in my experience, and community colleges are all too excited to help!

When you go to the meeting (there will be a meeting for the program- if you're not sure when the one at your future school is google the DCP and you'll find the website which should list when they are different schools) they will explain more to you and may potentially do on the spot interviews, or you may be set up with a phone interview. During the process you are given a sheet of paper with different jobs that there are at the resort of your choice (you get to choose which resort you want to work at) ... You get to check off the jobs you would be willing to do (you can check all of them if you want!) and list your top 3.... the more jobs you check the more likely you are to get in, but you might get a job you're not too fond of (IE custodial, house keeping etc)

You do have to pay your own way out to FL or Cal if you're not from there, and your way back home. So start saving up! lol

Comment

• Disneytwins
                • Oct 2005

I was a CP in Florida. Very hard work and at times I wanted to quit. It turns out that after it's all said and done, it was one of the best experiences of my life. I made friends, worked for a company I love dearly and learned some valuable lessons. If you do join, remember - The experience will be good if your always in a good mindset. Going into it thinking all you're going to do is ride rides is not a good idea. You do get to have fun on your off time, but when it comes to work, you are the one that's creating the magic and sometimes creating the magic is some tough work. You will work hard but you will learn a great deal because of it.

If you apply for the college program, you are allowing Disney to place you in a job. You do get to tell them which jobs you would prefer to do, but they make the ultimate determination on where you will be placed. Some of the jobs sound crummy, but the crummy-sounding jobs are actually quite nice.

Whether or not your college gives you credit for the program or any classes by Disney during your program is between you and your college. If you aren't in college yet, it would be a good idea to find out whether or not the colleges you are applying to can and have successfully accommodated students in the Disney College Program.

I know Disney offers some business classes in the Florida Program. I went to one and I must say that it was the best class I have ever taken (not to mention the cheapest). You basically have the opportunity to learn from people who actually work in the company. Again, you have to check with your college to see if they will give you credit for these classes.
                Best of luck with your future endeavors!
                Last edited by Disneytwins; 08-07-2012, 10:04 AM.
                DisneyTwins
                Since May 2003

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                Working...
                X