X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CupcakeTerror
    replied
    Re: Earthquake proof?

If a very large earthquake (7.0+) hit Disneyland while I was visiting I would certainly feel a semblance of safety but it's still an earthquake. This is Mother Nature we're dealing with and if she wants to move, shake and shimmy around then we're just along for the ride!

Retrofitting of rides and training for Cast Members will help make the experience less harrowing, but still jarring none-the-less. I am of the mind that you can never have too much training when it comes to natural disasters and first aid.

I'm a NorCal girl and earthquakes are old hat out here. I still get nervous, but I have learned what to do when my world begins to shake.

Leave a comment:

• CSei2011
    replied

I'd be more worried about the crazies stuck in there! Imagine people going crazy and looting and destroying things etc.. Maybe I just have little faith in humanity, and it would really be as calm as the video of Tokyo

Leave a comment:

• NineteenTwenty8
    replied

DCA is pretty much brand new, I have alot of faith that it would do fine in a quake. The nearly 60 year old Disneyland park? Im not so certain =(

Leave a comment:

• parteecia
    replied

Just got back from the parks. I think we were on Jungle Cruise when the quake hit and never knew about it. After that we went into the Pirates building and after about a minute we were all told to leave but not why. Walked over to the Mansion and there we were told that the ride was closed due to an earthquake. We stood around in the shade and looked at all of the non-running rides until Mansion came up again, in maybe 10 minutes? after we first walked over. Talked to a train conductor later and he told us that they started a more stringent inspection until the quake was downgraded and they were able to do a faster inspection, maybe lasting 15 minutes before the trains were running again.

Leave a comment:

• CatchAPairO
    replied

Well a big thanks to everyone! This was my first post and i was so excited to see many participants, but i have come to realize that Disney has most certainly thought this through as far as their structures, especially since we have California building requirements, but that it appears we still haven't been completely assured as far as their staff and how they would handle the situation. I'm not sure if Disney puts emphasis on this when they train staff although.

@pinkertonfloyd: Yes the title was bad, nothing can be absolutely certain when it comes to this, but i was just wondering how far Disney has prepared for such an event, i guess we'll have to wait and see.

@ShelbyH: Yeah! that really was ironic, maybe i have magic powers x) but seriously, maybe its perfect timing and disney should look into it

Leave a comment:

• sailor310
    replied

Originally posted by Mr Wiggins View Post
    Anywhere but Winnie the Pooh.
    ..or It's a Small World. Could you imagine if you were trapped and the sound kept going?

But, seriously now, somewhere (I think on MC) I saw a discussion of how much drinkable water is available at DL-in the submarine lagoon, etc.. Not to mention all the food available-- if the city is trashed and the freeways are distroyed it would be a good place to be.

Leave a comment:

• Roger Dog
    replied

Originally posted by Bongo View Post
    Being in the park during an earthquake must be freaky. I remember back around 06' I think there was a 6.0 in Southern California. Correct me if I am wrong. Wonder what it was like in the park then.

Also, I know this isn't really Disney related, but at Universal Studios Earthquake segment on the Studio Tour. Earthquake while on Earthquake.
    During the Easter quake in 2010, I was actually on the Earthquake simulator segment of the Studio Tour, in tune with the quake itself! Only reason I knew there was a quake at all was because I was instant messaging a friend during the exact moment it happened!

I don't think Universal actually stopped any of the trams that day (no one seemed to have noticed the quake on my tram). Really curious how different or similar it might have been had I gone to Disney.

Leave a comment:

• Rex Dopey24
    replied

i did not feel this mornings quake. i was asleep

Leave a comment:

• Quarar44
    replied

Originally posted by Crazy Larry;1056818263}

At what point does Disney do a shut down and do a check of the rides?
    Who makes that decision?
    According to the Mattercam California Screamin went down for about 10 minutes after the 9:30 quake (magnitude 4.5) this morning. It looks like they're running the trains empty right now. The "Ask Otto" number said that the rides weren't closed though. I called every five minutes or so afterward and the rides are still up and running.
    Last edited by Quarar44; 08-08-2012, 09:06 AM.

Leave a comment:

• alphabassetgrrl
    replied

I agree, I think Disney is about as safe as anything is likely to be. It's been through a few of them over the years. Now that I've been through a few myself, I find them interesting.

As far as training to respond to quakes, it doesn't seem very common anywhere. At my work, we do have an announcement we can make, and we will I guess evacuate everybody, but we've never drilled in it or anything. If the building takes damage, we don't have an immediate plan for it. I know it has been repaired from past quakes, but they didn't happen when anybody was there. So we've never dealt with an emergency with a full audience, performers, everything electrified, everything hung over the stage.

I suspect some employers are very well prepared, but I also think that is somewhat uncommon.

Leave a comment:

• Juni
    replied

Jeez, another one. The earth can totally stop it now.

Leave a comment:

• Crazy Larry
    replied

Felt another quake just now. 4.1 near the same area as last night.

---------- Post added 08-08-2012 at 09:46 AM ----------

At what point does Disney do a shut down and do a check of the rides?
    Who makes that decision?
    Last edited by Crazy Larry; 08-08-2012, 08:51 AM. Reason: updated magnitude

Leave a comment:

• BosoExpress
    replied

Originally posted by Crazy Larry View Post
    Welcome to Micechat!
    Must be quite an experience for you if you've never felt a quake before?
    Thank you. Long time lurker

It definitely was an experience. Being from northern ca, I have felt a couple quakes from a distance. This was one was the closest I have been to the epicenter. I thought it was "neat"

Leave a comment:

• ShelbyH
    replied

The timing of this thread is certainly ironic. Tonight's quake was very short and a big boom type quake. My understanding is that all the attractions went to an automatic E stop (requiring a full reset) and since it was a half hour or so before closing, many of them never came back online again. I think Disneyland is as safe as it can be, and I'm not worried. It's withstood a number of quakes in the past 50 years including some quite large ones in the area.

Leave a comment:

• Infernoman
    replied

I find it odd how this thread was made just before an earthquake hit earlier tonight...kinda shaken up but just about everything went down...and we STILL get complaints about going down due to seismic activity. really?

...As I see it

Leave a comment:

• ImagineerJoe
    replied

sorry, Disneyland Resort is the most wonderful place, but this is why I like Tokyo Disneyland more! They are all neat and tidy and efficient, you don't find rubbish in your Winnie the Pooh ride vehicle and you wont find yourself fighting for a place to watch the parades. (excuse my cocky-ness, I don't mean to rub off that way)

Leave a comment:

• Crazy Larry
    replied

Originally posted by BosoExpress View Post
    Currently staying at the Paradise Pier and I felt it.
    Welcome to Micechat!
    Must be quite an experience for you if you've never felt a quake before?

Leave a comment:

• BosoExpress
    replied

Currently staying at the Paradise Pier and I felt it.

Leave a comment:

• Crazy Larry
    replied

Felt that here in downtown Los Angeles.
    4.4 near Yorba Linda.
    Wonder if anyone at the park felt it?

Leave a comment:

• Rex Dopey24
    replied

that was a big one and startle me a little bit and the quake came from yorba linda

Leave a comment:

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
Working...
X