This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• News Earthquakes today....

There was a mild earthquake last night at about 10:30, it was a 4.4.
    Just felt another at 9:32 that felt similar.

It seems that when it is hot earthquakes happen more often.

Re: Earthquakes today....

Earthquake weather.

Comment

It's earthquake season.

Comment

Yep
        Im here for fun and info not be a bully! Carsland here I come:yea:

Comment

riiiiighhht.... earthquake weather/season.

Comment

There is no such thing as “earthquake weather”. Statistically, there is an equal distribution of earthquakes in cold weather, hot weather, rainy weather, etc. There is no physical way that the weather could affect the forces several miles beneath the surface of the earth. The changes in barometric pressure in the atmosphere are very small compared to the forces in the crust, and the effect of the barometric pressure does not reach beneath the soil.

Comment

I was being silly.

Comment

It's all that fracking...

sigpic

I am Sambo, and I endorse this signature.

Comment

Originally posted by sir clinksalot View Post
                  There is no such thing as “earthquake weather”. Statistically, there is an equal distribution of earthquakes in cold weather, hot weather, rainy weather, etc. There is no physical way that the weather could affect the forces several miles beneath the surface of the earth. The changes in barometric pressure in the atmosphere are very small compared to the forces in the crust, and the effect of the barometric pressure does not reach beneath the soil.
                  This...

---------- Post added 08-08-2012 at 10:42 AM ----------

Originally posted by sir clinksalot View Post
                  There is no such thing as . Statistically, there is an equal distribution of earthquakes in cold weather, hot weather, rainy weather, etc. There is no physical way that the weather could affect the forces several miles beneath the surface of the earth. The changes in barometric pressure in the atmosphere are very small compared to the forces in the crust, and the effect of the barometric pressure does not reach beneath the soil.
                  This...

Comment

I wanna ride Star Tours through the big one to give that jump into light speed that extra boost

Comment

Temperature rises hint at earthquake prediction - 14 December 2001 - New Scientist

'Earthquakes begin several kilometres below the surface and electromagnetic waves cannot travel far through dense rocks. But, in 2000, Freund showed that compressing a rock can lead to positive charges inside. These can form a charged region of rock that migrates to the surface at the rate of about 100 to 300 metres per second, where it can ionise the air - possibly explaining strange pre-quake phenomena sometimes reported.

A positive charge near the surface would draw negatively charged atmospheric particles closer to the Earth and Freund and Ouzounov think the combining of the charged particles releases infrared radiation. They believe they can detect this IR signal via weather satellites about two to five days before a quake happens.'

Might be more truth to it than we know SCIENCE!

Comment

Didn't feel this one, but I definitely felt the 4.4 last night. One of my friends who was at Disneyland last night wrote a rather angry status:

"Disneyland, don't do this to me! I just got to the front of the Indiana Jones line and you tell me there was an earthquake! Oh **** no!"
                        "Y'all come back now, ya hear?"

Comment

Maybe Jumpin' Jellyfish can turn into Shakin' Jellyfish.
                          "Greetings, Starfighter! You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Xur and the Ko-Dan Armada."

Comment

Don't wake me up unless it's over a 5.0 quake.
                            Plague Of Vampires | A Novel by Eric and Elizabeth Gerds:

Buy Now at Amazon

Comment

I didn't feel the one last night because I was driviomens my car at the time. I didn't feel the one this morning even though I was sitting still in my cubicle at work. And it's not like I shouldn't have felt it. I'm in Irvine and my coworkers were all, "Did you feel that?"

What has me worried is the possibility that these could be foreshocks...

Comment

Earthquakes give me the heebie jeebies!
                                sigpic

This has been a Filmways presentation dahling.

Comment

Earthquakes: Nature's Rollercoasters™.

Every time I've been in an earthquake, within 5 minutes after the shaking stops, I'm saying "let's go on that again!"

Comment

Here's something a bit disturbing. I recall reading somewhere that many scientists believe that we don't get ENOUGH earthquakes and that makes the "Big One" more likely. According to the theory without enough "little" earthquakes to relieve the pressure, it keeps building up until one day it results in the so-called "Big One."

Comment

California-Nevada Fault Map for Los Angeles

Seems one particular area has been active the past little while.

Comment

Whether the energy is released on one fault or built up on another, it's probably true that we are due for a big one. The scientists seem to think so, and it seems to make sense to me, too. Some of what has been quiet are the big faults, which will give a big quake when they go.

Probably.

But I do feel better seeing all those little quakes. Hopefully the scientists are right, that those release the energy and keep it away from the bigger faults.
                                        I pledge allegiance to the Earth, one planet, many gods, and to the universe in which she spins.

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                        Working...
                                        X