Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

MiceChat Rules

A list of MiceChat's rules can be found at the top of the Disneyland forum.
2 of 2 < >

Ad Blockers

Please do not use ad blocking software when visiting MiceChat. It costs money to keep MiceChat online, and ad revenue offsets this. Thank you.
See more
See less

What to do with the Starcade...

Collapse

Ad Widget

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bronco21
    started a topic [Idea] What to do with the Starcade...

What to do with the Starcade...

Starcade is obviously nearing the end of its life. What would you like to see replace this small space?

I would really like a interactive design experience. 3D printers and other rapid prototyping machines are going to be huge in the future. Imagine being able to design your own personalized products and have them built and ready to use within hours. That's what 3D printers will do in the future. A 3D printer can already be found in Innoventions dream home, so why not have an actual exhibit/ store where you can explore what rapid prototyping can do to enhance lives in the future. This is the basis for my idea.

Starcade (upstairs and down stairs) would be removed and gutted completely. The new area would be known as Inventor's Workshop (sponsored by Autodesk). Downstairs would be home to Inventors design shop. The upstairs would be home to a 3D printer retail space.

The Inventors design shop would be very similar to Animation Academy in DCA. Guests would enter a small theater with a curtain up front and computers in front of each seat in the theater. After entering the theater, guests are told to sit at a computer. The curtain then opens to reveal a zaney robot named Desk. Desk then explains how he was design using the same programs that guests would be learning to use. After a brief introduction he would tell guests to watch the screens in front of them. A video showcasing how design has changed over the centuries plays and ending with a video of imagineers designing Desk using 3D computer design software. After this video ends, desk explains that today guests at Inventor's Workshop will be able to use this software to design a their own products. Desk then takes guests through a quick tutorial that ends with guests having designed their own 3D objects (something simple like a cup, bowl, Mickey mouse head, ect so that the tutorial is easy to follow along). Once the guests are done, a print out (paper print out) image of their design is handed to them. They then exit the theater and find more computers set up for design work.

The upstairs would be home to the 3D printer aspect of the exhibit. Here guests would find many large glass tubes with 3D printed Disney landmarks like Sleeping Beauty's castle, Space Mountain, ect inside on display. A large glass window lets guests look into a large room filled with 3D printers that are busy printing off 3D objects. Off to the side guests can order custom made 3D printed objects (custom made by customers either downstairs or at home that can be printed using Disney's 3D printers), a selection of small preprinted objects (key chains, figurines, ect), or the much larger and very expensive park landmarks that are on display in the glass tubes. This would allow guests to purchase custom made souvenirs, which have become very popular. If guests order custom printed objects, they would obviously not be available for immediate pick up, so guests would have to give a delivery address and have them shipped.

Anyways, I think that the idea of custom merch that guests themselves had a hand in designing would be very unique and would be a better use of the space currently used by Starcade. What do you think? Would you like 3D models of Disney parks icons? Would you like to be able to design your own merch? If not, what do you think they should do with the space?

• seafaring_ghost
    replied
    Re: What to do with the Starcade...

I like the idea of putting in 3d printers, however i would go the extra step and say that they should be able to print out parts for models of the different attractions of the parks and the partners statue in the different model railroad scales including one compatible with the monorail set and larger ones for those who want just a large detailed model of their favorite rides' facade.
    Last edited by seafaring_ghost; 08-24-2012, 06:36 PM. Reason: spelling

Leave a comment:

• fifthrider
    replied

I couldn't agree more with JneratorX. Although I understand and revere Walt's intent for Tomorrowland to represent the best and brightest of the future yet to come, it's going to be forever dated. With as advanced as technology is today, it's hard to envision things being any more advanced without spilling over into pure imaginary sci-fi. ....and so we should. Just take that leap into the imaginary because the age of the 50's and it's wonder about the future and space are here and already the norm.

Leave a comment:

• msbjdjj
    replied

Doesn't sound like it would draw a lot of people. A major rehab of that area I think should include (upstairs), a bar type restaurant over looking tomorrowland
    with the outside wall all glass for easy viewing.

Leave a comment:

• Disneymike
    replied

Originally posted by mrwagnal9 View Post
    Because it was by name only, you first built your track on a console or selected from a variety of prebuilt ones that were rated by intensity. Read up on it for more
    Sorry, don't need to "read up on it for more" as I have been to DisneyQuest in Florida Just what Tomorrowland needs, another simulator....

Leave a comment:

• Freddie Freelance
    replied

Originally posted by Bronco21 View Post
    You mean like the dream home in Innoventions that everyone hates?
    Take it out of Innoventions and put it back into a house that looks like something out of Woody Allen's Sleeper and it would be more popular.

Leave a comment:

• Bronco21
    replied

Originally posted by Ashleighe Gray View Post
    I thought the same for years. Though pizza port is very nostalgic for me

---------- Post added 08-17-2012 at 03:47 PM ----------

They should do something reminiscent of the house of the future. I think that was one of the greatest past attractions they had. Plus it really showed the innovation of disney because people couldn't believe that you could cook a meal in 10 mins a-la microwave oven. Gone are the days of monsanato and the franken-fruit, and I fear with that Tomorrow land has lost its cutting edge. I still love tomorrow land. its arguably one of my favorite lands. However I'm sure they will start looking to update a few of the attractions.
    You mean like the dream home in Innoventions that everyone hates?

Leave a comment:

• Ashleighe Gray
    replied

I thought the same for years. Though pizza port is very nostalgic for me

---------- Post added 08-17-2012 at 03:47 PM ----------

They should do something reminiscent of the house of the future. I think that was one of the greatest past attractions they had. Plus it really showed the innovation of disney because people couldn't believe that you could cook a meal in 10 mins a-la microwave oven. Gone are the days of monsanato and the franken-fruit, and I fear with that Tomorrow land has lost its cutting edge. I still love tomorrow land. its arguably one of my favorite lands. However I'm sure they will start looking to update a few of the attractions.

Leave a comment:

• Freddie Freelance
    replied

Originally posted by Bronco21 View Post
    Disney would not invest in a cheaper machine that are used by hobbyists. They would invest in either their own custom build machines, or 20-40 thousand dollar commercial machines (like the ones they probably already use at WDI). I do like your idea of having candy printed merch though. I've heard from a friend who knows someone who owns a similar candy printing machine and he said its pretty cool. The possibilities really are endless since manufacturing time/ cost can be reduced so drastically if 3D printers are used.
    Oh I agree they'd want a processional level machine, one that would have the highest up-time and the lowest time to completion of an object, but the lower level machines have cheaper printing media and are actually used quite often by professionals. You could have 10-15 MakerBot Replicators for the cost of just one of the big commercial machines, and although the quality of the big machines is better, after a point quantity has a quality all its own.

Leave a comment:

• mrwagnal9
    replied

Originally posted by Disneymike View Post
    Why have a virtual Space Mountain when the real thing is right next door?

---------- Post added 08-16-2012 at 05:28 AM ----------

How about an updated Cosmic Ray's but a lounge serving non-alcoholic beverages with a tapa's style menu?
    Because it was by name only, you first built your track on a console or selected from a variety of prebuilt ones that were rated by intensity. Read up on it for more

Leave a comment:

• Bronco21
    replied

Originally posted by Freddie Freelance View Post
    No, they need to bring this guy out of storage:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]23187[/ATTACH]

Actually I like the idea of a 3D Printer exhibit as part of a larger Future Tech rotating exhibit, whether it's a smaller, continued version of Innoventions, or part of the (sometimes tossed about) Stark Expo, or something entirely new; but there are a number of 3D Printer technologies out there and you'd have to probably focus on just one, simple, easily, & cheaply run machine for making items to be taken home. I'd like to suggest either the MakerBot Replicator, a plastics-based machine from MakerBot Industries, or the Candyfab 6000, a candy-based machine (!) from Evil Mad Scientist Labs (!!). How many people would like to have their own designs printed in sugar to take home & eat?

Oh, and I've gotta add this article of a miniature exoskeleton that was 3D printed for a toddler with a rare muscle disease, the exoskeleton allows her to lift her arms above her head for the first time in her life! This 3D-Printed Exoskeleton Could One Day Turn You Into a Cyborg | Danger Room | Wired.com
    Disney would not invest in a cheaper machine that are used by hobbyists. They would invest in either their own custom build machines, or 20-40 thousand dollar commercial machines (like the ones they probably already use at WDI). I do like your idea of having candy printed merch though. I've heard from a friend who knows someone who owns a similar candy printing machine and he said its pretty cool. The possibilities really are endless since manufacturing time/ cost can be reduced so drastically if 3D printers are used.

And thanks for sharing that link btw! Pretty amazing stuff that technology can do.
    Last edited by Bronco21; 08-16-2012, 08:40 PM.

Leave a comment:

• 14 MPH
    replied

How about making it something like DisneyQuest?

Leave a comment:

• DrFink
    replied

They could always do what they should have done with the Starcade and Pizza Port to begin years ago... make it a replica of Pizza Planet from Toy Story.

Leave a comment:

• Freddie Freelance
    replied

Originally posted by calsig31 View Post
    The air hockey should be preserved at all costs.
    No, they need to bring this guy out of storage:

Click image for larger version

Name:	640px-Whack-a-Alien.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	67.2 KB
ID:	7344443

Actually I like the idea of a 3D Printer exhibit as part of a larger Future Tech rotating exhibit, whether it's a smaller, continued version of Innoventions, or part of the (sometimes tossed about) Stark Expo, or something entirely new; but there are a number of 3D Printer technologies out there and you'd have to probably focus on just one, simple, easily, & cheaply run machine for making items to be taken home. I'd like to suggest either the MakerBot Replicator, a plastics-based machine from MakerBot Industries, or the Candyfab 6000, a candy-based machine (!) from Evil Mad Scientist Labs (!!). How many people would like to have their own designs printed in sugar to take home & eat?

Oh, and I've gotta add this article of a miniature exoskeleton that was 3D printed for a toddler with a rare muscle disease, the exoskeleton allows her to lift her arms above her head for the first time in her life! http://www.wired.com/dangerroom/2012/08/3d-print/
    Last edited by Freddie Freelance; 08-16-2012, 05:58 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Scary Scott
    replied

You know how old this idea is here on micchat?

So old, that I think it was one of the earliest things I have ever posted on. Way back.

To be honest, I think that Tomorrowland in general needs a complete re-do, but the starcade is a waste of space. No clue what can be done. Most ideas I have read sound good, but only one plan can rule them all.

Leave a comment:

Ad Widget

Collapse
Working...
X