This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Question] gay days awkward question

It so happens my son is off from school oct 3-7 this coming school year, which also happen to be the week for gay days at DLR. This may seem like a rude or stupid question and i do feel awkward asking it but feel i have too. Has anyone ever been in the parks for these that can give me a review of whether it is a time i can bring my son who is 14 too without him feeling VERY awkward. Personally if just my gf and I or other adults were coming I wouldnt even worry about it. However I have seen a lot of reports on how little control the park has over what takes place there on "raver days"( and i was a rave promoter for a decade in general i know exactly what goes on there) that i am a little concerned that when the park has a large group of any like minded people in the park at once they relinquish some control over the greater good. not sure if any of this makes sense but i would REALLY appreciate some input. BTW my son has been brought up in a fairly open minded way and has aunts and uncles who are gay so it would not be like this is the 1st time he comes into contact with anything of this sort. thanks again for your input!

Re: gay days awkward question

There is nothing to worry about whatsoever, in my opinion. I have found 'specialty' group events (dapper days, gay days, Bat's day, etc) for most of the clientele to be more into Disneyland, respectful and having fun than some 'average' guests in terms of behavior. It is not an excuse for any out right rule breaking or 'lewd' content/behavior that I've personally seen, having been in the parks on the weekend in question several times before.

If people do act outrageously, it is no more likely than a typical day visitor using foul language or etc, which happens from time to time regretfully.
    when the spooks have a midnight jamboree....

Comment

In my opinion I honestly think that if there was a real issue for anyone in the parks then it would be sorted by Disney.
      You can guests everyday who can cause issues so I don't think there's need to worry.
      "It all started with a mouse." Walt Disney
      Disneyland Paris: 2008
      Walt Disney World: 2008, 2013
      Disneyland Resort California: 2010, 2012

Comment

I was 12 when I was there for gay days back in '07. They caused absolutely no problems whatsoever and were actually quite friendly towards us! They like having their picture taken though just as a warning haha, they like to make friends is the only thing I could see!

Comment

keep the replies coming please need input to be able to make a decision

Comment

Originally posted by gtsouthard View Post
            It so happens my son is off from school oct 3-7 this coming school year, which also happen to be the week for gay days at DLR. This may seem like a rude or stupid question and i do feel awkward asking it but feel i have too. Has anyone ever been in the parks for these that can give me a review of whether it is a time i can bring my son who is 14 too without him feeling VERY awkward. Personally if just my gf and I or other adults were coming I wouldnt even worry about it. However I have seen a lot of reports on how little control the park has over what takes place there on "raver days"( and i was a rave promoter for a decade in general i know exactly what goes on there) that i am a little concerned that when the park has a large group of any like minded people in the park at once they relinquish some control over the greater good. not sure if any of this makes sense but i would REALLY appreciate some input. BTW my son has been brought up in a fairly open minded way and has aunts and uncles who are gay so it would not be like this is the 1st time he comes into contact with anything of this sort. thanks again for your input!
            I went in 2009 and you have NOTHING to worry about. They are families and people the same as you and me. They tend to wear Red Shirts, but thats about it. Bring your son and have a great time!
            Siggy

Comment

Maybe a few "less drab" shirts in the park; but otherwise, most folks that come to Disneyland love Disneyland. Have a great time!

Comment

I worked gay days in Florida. I actually met a lot of nice people who were participating. You have nothing to worry about. The only downside of organized days like this is the fact that Families don't expect it. Especially the ones who want to have identifying T-Shirts and it happens to be red. I did notice that a couple of guys had some inappropriate sayings on their shirts, but I doubt you will come across very much of those.
                DisneyTwins
                Since May 2003

Comment

There is nothing to worry about. I have been many times on Gay Days, and everyone has a good time. There are many gay families with children there too! Gay couples with small children and families with gay members, all out to support each other and have a fun time at Disney.

Comment

I saw some same-sex PDAs couple years ago, so be warned. But overall it was like a regular day with a lot of people wearing red shirts to show some of that 'GLBT (dk if I forgot anymore) pride'.

Comment

In my experience with being there over Gay Days in 2006 with my family, the worst behavior I came across was while in line for Pizza Port. It was a judgmental sounding older woman who felt that Disney was being disrespectful for allowing such a group into the park and "those people" shouldn't be celebrating like that and that "Disney should have warned us, I certainly wouldn't be here had I known."

I was offended, to say the least, by her words and wanted to ask her if "those people" should be locked away in the dungeon and then remind her that "those people" are in the park every day and likely making sure your seat belts are buckled, waving at you in the parade, serving you a churro and generally making sure your day is magical but she was so awful, I just kept her away from my kids.

As for all the red shirts, they were friendly, polite and much more respectful of the park than any High School marching band/dance team/insert young adult group here that I encounter at the park on every other visit. This isn't a Pride parade day, it's just a day to celebrate together at the park.
                      I love my awesome crazy wonderful friends!!

"Do you remember in kindergarten, how you�d meet a kid,
                      then 10 seconds later you�d be playing like you were best friends?"

:love:

Comment

Originally posted by ducktalesfan5555 View Post
                        I saw some same-sex PDAs couple years ago, so be warned.
                        Also be warned that there are heterosexual couples sucking face every single day at the parks.

Comment

Originally posted by RegionsBeyond View Post
                          There is nothing to worry about whatsoever, in my opinion...
                          Originally posted by tinkermonkey View Post
                          ...As for all the red shirts, they were friendly, polite and much more respectful of the park than any High School marching band/dance team/insert young adult group here that I encounter at the park on every other visit.
                          Bingo x2.
                          "Disneyland is often called a magic kingdom because
                          it combines fantasy and history, adventure and learning,
                          together with every variety of recreation and fun,
                          designed to appeal to everyone."

- Walt Disney

"Disneyland is all about turning movies into rides."
                          - Michael Eisner

"It's very symbiotic."
                          - Bob Chapek

Comment

Fewer strollers.

Comment

If your son has an aversion to other people wearing Red shirts, then I wouldn't go, otherwise have fun.

Comment

hmm...

Comment

Originally posted by brenden View Post
                                  Also be warned that there are heterosexual couples sucking face every single day at the parks.
                                  Amen to that! I dislike PDA of any form at Disneyland but I will say proportionally, at least from my experience and I go a lot, you'll see PDA much more frequently with heterosexual couples than with homosexual but then again hetero is still seen as more socially acceptable and one is going to be much more prone to see it with people like me. I digress...

Gay Days are some the best days to go to DL. Everyone is in good spirit, respectable, and, for the most part, are big Disney fans and thus treat the park, CM's, and guest better. Really a great day to go and I'm not just saying that because I am gay. It's just a friendly crowd and a loving enviornment that serves as a nice way to even have stigmas and previous prejudices about the commmunity dispelled.

Comment

It is like every other day in Disneyland just more red shirts and many of the people in red are family members supporting another that happens to be gay. If the sight of people of the same gender holding hands or appearing together bothers you then I would stay home.
                                    BGood! It's not just my motto its my name!

Comment

Well brenden, the OP was asking if his son might witness some awkwardness during the gays days. And I did say it was basically like a normal day. Hopefully you're not insinuating that I condone hetro PDAs but not homo ones. PDAs (of any of the various sexual orientations) don't belong in the parks (or anywhere for that matter) period...
                                      Last edited by ducktalesfan5555; 08-08-2012, 07:22 PM. Reason: grammar errors

Comment

He's 14. My niece is 7 and she knows I'm gay. it doesn't confuse her or weird her out. What are you protecting him from? Kids/teens are fully aware of these things. As for what he'll see, yes some people do show some PDA, and sometimes I've seen an inappropriate T shirt, but bare in mind, sometimes WE don't wanna see it either. One or two couples don't represent all the people going on that day. If you really want to be on the watch though, I suggest going to the gay days site and looking up the events. That way you won't run into anything you might be uncomfortable with, like the Tiki Room Sing-a-long haha. Also, I might avoid the Hungry Bear restaurant. Nothing dirty going on, but just trust me.

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                        Working...
                                        X