X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CASurfer65
    replied
    Re: Fantasylands

I think our Fantasyland is just great. And I'm perfectly fine with Small World just as it is. It isn't connected to the other Alpine-like facades of the dark rides in Fantasyland. In fact, it's off toward the back of the park by itself and creates a super postcard-like vision as you walk back to that end of Fantasyland.
    And when you think on it, while the Matterhorn fits that Alpine setting of the dark ride cluster of buildings very well, wasn't it once a Tomorrowland attraction?
    Personally I don't think this should be all that much of a competition thing anyway.
    It's all Disney; a brand we all love. So if WDW gets a new Fantasyland upgrade, that's awesome.
    I haven't been to WDW in some time, but I remember thinking how lackluster their Fantasyland was in comparison to Disneyland's when I was there.
    I'm glad they upgraded it.

Leave a comment:

• disneylandfan95
    replied

Originally posted by WDW1971 View Post
    ...but from an architectural/master planning/theme park background, I can tell you it thematically does not fit in with Fantasyland.
    From an "architectural/master planning/theme park background", you would also realize that the long transition between the storybook facades and "it's a small world" via the Small World Mall is a successful one. Not to mention the visual barriers that slowly reveal the facade as you walk down the path. For being relatively "out of theme" in Fantasyland, the thematic transition to "it's a small world" is beautiful.

Leave a comment:

• Bronco21
    replied

Originally posted by BlAcKoUt510 View Post
    The expansion is just beautiful.
    If WDW just updated the existing parts their Fantasyland can easily be the most beautiful.

I always wish Disneyland would expand their Fantasyland, especially around the Small World area. What's there looks great but I wish it was just bigger full of more medieval facades.
    The only thing they could really do short of demolishing the fantasyland theater (not gonna happen) is possibly put a small ride in the motorboat cruise area and a couple small shops along the small world mall and that area is prime parade viewing real estate.

Leave a comment:

• BlAcKoUt510
    replied

The expansion is just beautiful.
    If WDW just updated the existing parts their Fantasyland can easily be the most beautiful.

I always wish Disneyland would expand their Fantasyland, especially around the Small World area. What's there looks great but I wish it was just bigger full of more medieval facades.

Leave a comment:

• greenalfonzo
    replied

Originally posted by WDW1971 View Post
    Interesting points you make there. You are entitled to your opinion. But in my opinion, I feel so-so about the facade. It is pretty and interesting to look and and provides a large, iconic structure for a marque ride similar to Space Mountain's presence but from an architectural/master planning/theme park background, I can tell you it thematically does not fit in with Fantasyland. Why are we transported to a fantasy Alpine Village and then we're in front of a World's Fair type of building that seems to fit better in Epcot and Tomorrowland. Actually the ride really has nothing to do with Fantasyland but it still is a fun ride and belongs in the park.
    While it is technically part of Fantasyland, it is so far physically removed from the medieval structures of the castle, you can't really make any physical connection between the two. For example, Small World is as far from the Matterhorn/Alice as the Castle entrance is from the downtown Main Street storefronts. And with the twisting walkway and abundance of trees, you can't even see it from there.

It is only listed under Fantasyland attractions for lack of any other land to attach it to.

Leave a comment:

• traumwelt
    replied

I think Disneyland has the most beautiful Fantasyland and the most to offer, but I am a sucker for the old dark rides. I would have said Disneyand Paris, but not anymore. It was BEAUTIFUL when it opened (was there opening week and it was just breathtaking; now it is really in need of some TLC). While I'm sure it will be nice from a design aspect, I'm not all that personally inspired by the New Fantasyland. I just love the detailed, quaint feeling of the 1983 version in CA.

Leave a comment:

• Bronco21
    replied

Originally posted by mainejeff View Post
    Agreed. That circus theming is horrible.......especially the number of circus tents that they have.

Agreed that DL Fantasyland is better.........but there is plenty of room for expansion and certain parts of the new Fantasyland expansion would be great fits for DL Fantasyland. The BATB stuff and Seven Dwarfs Mine Train would be tremendous adds.
    Honestly the only part of the expansion I would really want is Queue for dumbo... Not necessarily the interactive bits, but a covered queue for that ride conjoined with a queue on the other side for Casey Junior could really improve those rides. Just move the station for Casey Junior to behind Dumbo, install a rap around covered queue for dumbo on the East side and Casey Junior on the west (with maybe an animatronic Timothy barker or something). There might even be room for a small interactive queue if they did it right. Other than that though we already have TLM, we have the Matterhorn (way better than SDMT), we already have Dumbo, we already have Casey Junior (ours is an actual ride), and we don't really need more restaurants.

Leave a comment:

• CaliforniaAdventurer
    replied

It may be better than Casey Jr but not the Matterhorn !

Leave a comment:

• calsig31
    replied

While FL may be getting a Snow White coaster, I doubt it will be better than the coaster in Disneyland's Fantasyland.

Leave a comment:

• AvidTurtleTalker
    replied

New Fantasyland in Florida is going to look stunning, but that's NEW Fantasyland. What about all of the original/current Fantasyland. Besides, we still have Mr. Toad's Wild Ride

Leave a comment:

• ttintagel
    replied

WDW's may be on a grander scale, but DLR's is a beautiful jewel box. The 1983 facades are stunning.

Leave a comment:

• MANEATINGWREATH
    replied

Although I prefer DL and HKDL's Small Worlds, I do enjoy the "flooded" effect rather than canals surrounded by lighting and sound equipment. My one problem with Florida and Tokyo (Florida more-so) is how wide-spaced it is...just a bit picky on my part, I prefer a more intimate feeling.

Leave a comment:

• mainejeff
    replied

Originally posted by jasmineray View Post
    The new Fantasyland at WDW really isn't much. An extra Dumbo, the Little Mermaid ride, which we have, a meet and greet and the Seven Dwarves Mine ride. They should have changed the facades on the rides, in my opinion. The circus/fair look is not a good look.
    Agreed. That circus theming is horrible.......especially the number of circus tents that they have.

Originally posted by jasmineray View Post
    Our Fantasyland will still be better, in terms of things to do and how it looks. Five dark rides, the Teacups, Dumbo, Casey, Storybook, Matterhorn, King Arthur's Carousel, IASW, and the SBC Walk-through. Not to mention Toontown.
    Agreed that DL Fantasyland is better.........but there is plenty of room for expansion and certain parts of the new Fantasyland expansion would be great fits for DL Fantasyland. The BATB stuff and Seven Dwarfs Mine Train would be tremendous adds.

Leave a comment:

• WDW1971
    replied

Originally posted by MANEATINGWREATH View Post
    Um...not sure about how I feel in regards to saying our Small World facade is out-of-place. It's been there since the 1966, a time when Fantasyland still resembled a medieval jousting tournament or modern carnival rather than the quaint Alpine village it is today. When the 1983 refurbishment came along, you could only presume that it would be mandatory to stay looking that way, and that's perfectly fine with me. The facade is so iconic and so well-done that seeing it go away would be just about as bad as seeing Space Mountain torn down or Big Thunder Mountain collapsing. The facade is also far enough away from the storybook village-area that it doesn't intrude at all. The only location you can see it from is near Alice in Wonderland, Mad Tea Party, and the Matterhorn. That's not bad. And you can barely see any of those from Small World's queue. No rotten theming here.

If you ask me, Florida has the weakest Small World facade. It seems crammed and rather cheap...forgive me if any of you like it, but I'm just stating an honest opinion. If it was up to me, I would have used some of the expansion money to tear down the current facade and build the palace facade. It'd somewhat match with the current carnival feel of the courtyard and actually lure guests into the ride. Of course the palace in the loading area would have to be torn down.
    Interesting points you make there. You are entitled to your opinion. But in my opinion, I feel so-so about the facade. It is pretty and interesting to look and and provides a large, iconic structure for a marque ride similar to Space Mountain's presence but from an architectural/master planning/theme park background, I can tell you it thematically does not fit in with Fantasyland. Why are we transported to a fantasy Alpine Village and then we're in front of a World's Fair type of building that seems to fit better in Epcot and Tomorrowland. Actually the ride really has nothing to do with Fantasyland but it still is a fun ride and belongs in the park.

Regarding Florida's, I like how they tried to differentiate it and improve upon it rather than directly copying the California version. If you did not know, the Florida attraction is very popular and often has quite long lines and I do not think there is a problem with luring in guests. All other versions of the ride allow for a large courtyard in front of the ride so that the grand facade would not impose on the streetscape. In Florida, it is along a street so if there were a facade like Disneylands, it would feel too imposing and impersonal. I like how they made the ride in Florida fit the theme of the land better and while the exterior may not be as fanciful as California, the ride's architecture matches its surroundings and once inside the structure, it is still magical going down the ramps, watching other guests load into their boats, passing over the water, and walking by the facade that makes up Disneyland's. On a side not, I like how in Florida the ride is "flooded" rather than the log flume type channels that are at Disneyland.

Leave a comment:

• MANEATINGWREATH
    replied

Um...not sure about how I feel in regards to saying our Small World facade is out-of-place. It's been there since the 1966, a time when Fantasyland still resembled a medieval jousting tournament or modern carnival rather than the quaint Alpine village it is today. When the 1983 refurbishment came along, you could only presume that it would be mandatory to stay looking that way, and that's perfectly fine with me. The facade is so iconic and so well-done that seeing it go away would be just about as bad as seeing Space Mountain torn down or Big Thunder Mountain collapsing. The facade is also far enough away from the storybook village-area that it doesn't intrude at all. The only location you can see it from is near Alice in Wonderland, Mad Tea Party, and the Matterhorn. That's not bad. And you can barely see any of those from Small World's queue. No rotten theming here.

If you ask me, Florida has the weakest Small World facade. It seems crammed and rather cheap...forgive me if any of you like it, but I'm just stating an honest opinion. If it was up to me, I would have used some of the expansion money to tear down the current facade and build the palace facade. It'd somewhat match with the current carnival feel of the courtyard and actually lure guests into the ride. Of course the palace in the loading area would have to be torn down.

Leave a comment:

• DCArocks
    replied

ok i am convinced now we still have the best. I would still love to see a big expansion removing the small world area, old princess meet and greet, and removing toontown. Now i know a lot of people love toontown but its only good thing is roger rabbit so i say rogger should go to DCA.

Leave a comment:

• magicaldisney77
    replied

Disneylands will always look better because i feel all that space makes it feel awkward and facades are just lets say they are not pretty, like others have said unless they fix that. but in terms of things to do it will be as good if not better as disneylands when done. disneylands is just put together so beautiful the level of details are amazing.

Leave a comment:

• Santana
    replied

Originally posted by Sir.Mouse View Post
    WDW isn't getting a new FL they're just expanding. The old renfare look of the courtyard behind the castle will still be there only now what's behind it will look better. Also, there's something to be said about they way they're designing the facades, each attraction getting it's own look, but things not designed with the entire land in mind. This is a current trend at WDW just look at Winnie the Pooh, it stands out from the rest of FL.
    Winnie the Pooh's facade was recently redone just so that it could match the rest of the land. ) When the castle walls are unveiled, you'll see that Winnie the Pooh is no longer inside the castle courtyard like it was before; it's outside the gates in the Fantasyland Forest, and that's why it's facade was redone to create the look of the Hundred Acre Wood. And the look will also be much more cohesive when the Seven Dwarfs Mine Train (which will also carry the look of a forest) opens right next to it.

Leave a comment:

• Princess Victoria
    replied

WDW's Fantasyland is going to certainly be grand and unique. I don't think that means it needs to be duplicated here. Disneyland's Fantasyland is cozy, charming, and in my opinion, nearly perfect (at least from the Castle to the Storybookland Canal Boats entrance). The it's a small world Mall beyond that could stand to be updated. It's a pretty open space with minimal theming to small world, and I think that can be improved upon. The weird part is that you have more of the main Fantasyland area theming at the Troubadour Tavern. I'd also like to see the ToonTown Train Station revert back to being the Fantasyland Station. You can only see Fantasyland from it and very little of ToonTown (and only if you look to your left thru the bushes while on the train). And of course, it's physically in Fantasyland rather than ToonTown.

Leave a comment:

• Sheriff Lightyear
    replied

When I first heard the announcement of New Fantasyland for WDW, I wasn't very thrilled. After seeing something of the progress, I'm still not impressed.

Leave a comment:

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
Working...
X