Why does one of Disney's most popular movies have hardly any presence in DL?

Collapse

Get Away Today

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • nathan detroit
    MiceChatter
    • Jun 2007

[Chat] Why does one of Disney's most popular movies have hardly any presence in DL?

No, I am not talking about Beauty and the Beast which has been discussed plenty lately with the upcoming WDW restaurant.

No, I in fact refer to The Jungle Book - one of Disney's most requested movies that features a host of memorable characters and a score that everyone knows at least two songs from.

It's not that TJB doesn't fit into DL. Its ideal for Adventureland. And yet apart from the occasional M&G and appearance in the parades, the film is totally underserved by the park.

I know that DL is more than attractions based on movies and I am certainly not suggesting that they re-theme the Jungle Cruise to include Baloo and friends. But it strikes me as odd that even a minor attraction has not appeared based on the movie. Even Tarzan now has the treehouse.

My guess is the timing of the film's release. It came out 12 years after the opening of DL and so missed the headstart that the likes of Mr Toad, Alice and Peter Pan had. How it has been virtually overlooked since 1967 is a puzzle to me though.

When rumours of Splash Mountain coming to Paris cropped up a year or two ago over on the DLP forum I suggested that if it happened, perhape it should be based on Jungle Book instead of Song of the South. The characters are more recognisable and the music is perfect. the river journey fits with the ride and the final 'Laughing Place' drop could be based on the confrontation with Shere Kahn prior to arrining in the man village. This suggestion got a lot of positive feedback.

Has anyone else felt that Jungle Book is missing at DL? Or perhaps another movie has been criminally overlooked by the management. What do you think?
    WDW - 1987 & 1991
    DLP - 1996, 2004, 2006 & 2007
    DLR - October 2011

• JerrodDRagon
    Adventure First, Ad Last
    • Mar 2006

Re: Why does one of Disney's most popular movies have hardly any presence in DL?

This movie for a lot of people is hit or miss...I like it because I watched it over 100 times as a kid, it's a fun adventure but many find its jokes and animation not at the "Disney" standard

Though I will say Shere Khan is one of the best Disney villains and might be the most overlooked because he's an animal and not human

Also this generation is WAY more in love with Pixar then Disney films....I remember back when I was a kid I brought in Jungle Book and Toy Story and let my classmates vote....and not joking about every kid wanted to see Toy Story..for some reason kids these days don't love handdrawn like they should
    Happy Halloween!!!

Comment

• nathan detroit
      MiceChatter
      • Jun 2007

Re: Why does one of Disney's most popular movies have hardly any presence in DL?

Originally posted by JerrodDRagon View Post
      This movie for a lot of people is hit or miss...I like it because I watched it over 100 times as a kid, it's a fun adventure but many find its jokes and animation not at the "Disney" standard

Though I will say Shere Khan is one of the best Disney villains and might be the most overlooked because he's an animal and not human

Also this generation is WAY more in love with Pixar then Disney films....I remember back when I was a kid I brought in Jungle Book and Toy Story and let my classmates vote....and not joking about every kid wanted to see Toy Story..for some reason kids these days don't love handdrawn like they should
      I will not argue with any of your points (apart from reminding you of the recent addition to DCA that involves a certain hand drawn mermaid) but I know for a fact that at least until the mid-90s, The Jungle Book was one of Disney's most popular movies and was the most requested on video of them all. That those thirty years passed without someone in DL management thinking it was worthy of an attraction is surprising to me.
      WDW - 1987 & 1991
      DLR - October 2011

Comment

• calsig31
        -
        • Aug 2009

I think it is more of a space issue. Disneyland's Adventureland is so small. To add something else they would have to get rid of retail space, and we all know how Disney feels about that.
        "Greetings, Starfighter! You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Xur and the Ko-Dan Armada."

Comment

• nathan detroit
          MiceChatter
          • Jun 2007

Originally posted by calsig31 View Post
          I think it is more of a space issue. Disneyland's Adventureland is so small. To add something else they would have to get rid of retail space, and we all know how Disney feels about that.
          I was amazed by how small Adventureland at DL was! Especially after being so used to DLP's. Of course the Jungle Cruise takes up a lot of space.
          WDW - 1987 & 1991
          DLR - October 2011

Comment

• DisneylandTraveler
            MiceChatter
            • Jun 2011

Interesting point. The Jungle Book is and will always be more of a Disney classic than Tarzan ever will be. Maybe its time to re-theme the tree. Other than that, like mentioned, really no room. BUT - Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh regularly takes a beating and A Jungle Book attraction in Critter Country would fit thematically just fine.

---------- Post added 08-19-2012 at 10:12 AM ----------

Originally posted by nathan detroit View Post
            I was amazed by how small Adventureland at DL was! Especially after being so used to DLP's. Of course the Jungle Cruise takes up a lot of space.
            As does Indiana Jones Adventure - it's just not within the natural boundaries of the park.
            Writing about all things Disney, a couple of paragraphs at a time

http://disneylandtraveler.blogspot.com/

75,000+ page views and counting.

Comment

• girlonawire
              MiceChatter
              • Jun 2012

Jungle Book is such a favorite of the kids in my class. When it is movie day, they either want that one or Lion King....Aladdin is a close third though. The songs in Jungle Book, are really the crowd pleaser.
              Glitz, Glamour, Gaiety!

Comment

• Sorcerer's Apprentice
                Mischievous Mouse
                • Oct 2007

They could replace Winnie the Pooh with Beauty and the Beast ride, I'd be okay with that!

"We believed in our idea - a family park where parents and children could have fun- together."

-Walt Disney

Comment

• emwhysee
                  MiceChatter
                  • Apr 2012

If The Jungle book has a natural home in Disneyland, it's The Jungle Cruise. But I actually appreciate that it's remained free of any movie tie-ins. I don't have any philosophical objections to movie or character tie-ins in general, but "all things in moderation." It's important to preserve attractions that are their own thing.

A more natural place for The Jungle Book than Splash Mountain might be the tree house. And it would have the HUGE added benefit of correcting the nonsensical decision to dethrone The Swiss Family Robinson with Tarzan. Tarzan? Of all the movie tie-ins in the park, that has got to be one of the most baffling. I'd be elated to see The Jungle Book -- a title of actual note within the Disney library -- take over such an iconic landmark in the park.

Comment

• LordVader
                    Heavy Breather
                    • Jun 2012

I would like to see something regarding The Jungle Book in Disneyland. While its not a perfect film, it has that Walt feeling to it, being the last film to have his hand in production on.
                    sigpic

What is thy bidding, my Mouseter?

Check out my tumblr: http://dvader2015.tumblr.com/

Comment

• disneylandreport
                      MiceChatter
                      • Jun 2012

Originally posted by Sorcerer's Apprentice View Post
                      They could replace Winnie the Pooh with Beauty and the Beast ride, I'd be okay with that!
                      Yes, because a Beauty and the Beast ride would fit quite comfortably in CRITTER COUNTRY??

---------- Post added 08-19-2012 at 11:28 AM ----------

Originally posted by emwhysee View Post
                      If The Jungle book has a natural home in Disneyland, it's The Jungle Cruise. But I actually appreciate that it's remained free of any movie tie-ins.
                      Expect this to be remedied soon. There is a script being written for a Jungle Cruise movie with Hanks and Tim Allen currently attached.

Disney Lines Up Tom Hanks and Tim Allen for 'Jungle Cruise' Movie | FirstShowing.net

For some some great trip reports, features and reviews, please check out http://www.thedisneylandreport.com.

Comment

• StarDustFairy
                        MiceChatter
                        • Apr 2010

Originally posted by disneylandreport View Post
                        Yes, because a Beauty and the Beast ride would fit quite comfortably in CRITTER COUNTRY??

---------- Post added 08-19-2012 at 11:28 AM ----------

Expect this to be remedied soon. There is a script being written for a Jungle Cruise movie with Hanks and Tim Allen currently attached.

Disney Lines Up Tom Hanks and Tim Allen for 'Jungle Cruise' Movie | FirstShowing.net
                        Oh dear....I'm quite apprehensive about that, lol!

As for TJB in the park, I think the tree house would work great! You could have Mowgli hanging out with Baloo. They could put a creepy Kaa hanging around too.
                        * *The dreams that you wish will come true* *

Comment

• Mr Wiggins

• Jan 2005

What do you think?
                          I think ENOUGH ALREADY of the toonification of Disneyland!

Originally posted by disneylandreport View Post

As a fan of Disneyland's Jungle Cruise, I sincerely hope The Jungle Cruise Movie bombs into oblivion -- if it's a hit, the ride is at risk of getting the same marketeering treatment as Pirates of the Depp.
                          "Disneyland is often called a magic kingdom because
                          it combines fantasy and history, adventure and learning,
                          together with every variety of recreation and fun,
                          designed to appeal to everyone."

- Walt Disney

"Disneyland is all about turning movies into rides."
                          - Michael Eisner

"It's very symbiotic."
                          - Bob Chapek

Comment

• StarDustFairy
                            MiceChatter
                            • Apr 2010

Originally posted by Mr Wiggins View Post
                            I think ENOUGH ALREADY of the toonification of Disneyland!

As a fan of Disneyland's Jungle Cruise, I sincerely hope The Jungle Cruise Movie bombs into oblivion -- if it's a hit, the ride is at risk of getting the same marketeering treatment as Pirates of the Depp.
                            I shudder at the thought.
                            * *The dreams that you wish will come true* *

Comment

• Chesire
                              MiceChatter
                              • Jun 2012

I'd love to have them bring little elements of Jungle Book in the park, such as a few characters in Small World, a little scene in the Jungle Cruise, maybe a restaurant or shop themed after them in Adventureland, etc.
                              Fear of the unknown.

They are afraid of new ideas.

You know, to me, the most beautiful things in all the universe, are the most mysterious.

Comment

• Witches of Morva
                                Minion
                                • Jan 2005

ORWEN: As far as us cauldron girls are concerned, you can never have too many movie tie-in's at Disneyland.

ORDDU: Personally, I LOVE Tarzan and I'm glad he is represented at Disneyland with a Tree House. The Swiss Family Robinson Tree House is still in Florida at the Magic Kingdom so let them not be too selfish by denying someone else a chance to live in another theme park's Adventureland.

ORGOCH: Long as I can go on ketchin' frogs I don't care nothin' 'bout Jungle Books or Jungle Cruises!!
                                Last edited by penguinsoda; 08-19-2012, 01:05 PM.

Comment

• JerrodDRagon
                                  Adventure First, Ad Last
                                  • Mar 2006

I will not argue with any of your points (apart from reminding you of the recent addition to DCA that involves a certain hand drawn mermaid) but I know for a fact that at least until the mid-90s, The Jungle Book was one of Disney's most popular movies and was the most requested on video of them all. That those thirty years passed without someone in DL management thinking it was worthy of an attraction is surprising to me.
                                  Well from Mermaid to Lion King....those movies are all just considered instant classic's

Also like I said....it's after Pixar came out..and now kids grow up more on Nemo and Bugs Life then Jungle book...can you even find the DVD in stores any more? It's hard for kids to grow up with classic's when Disney always locks them away...when Toy story has been on DVD for years and even Blue Ray for like 2 years
                                  Happy Halloween!!!

Comment

• greenalfonzo
                                    MiceChatter
                                    • Jan 2011

There are enough classic Disney movies that don't have rides that you could make an entirely new Disneyland: Jungle Book, Lion King, Beauty & the Beast, Aladdin, Cinderella, Rescuers, 101 Dalmatians, Hunchback, Treasure Planet, Bambi, Robin Hood...
                                    "Disneyland is a work of love. We didn't go into Disneyland just with the idea of making money." - ​Walt Disney

Comment

• nathan detroit
                                      MiceChatter
                                      • Jun 2007

Originally posted by greenalfonzo View Post
                                      There are enough classic Disney movies that don't have rides that you could make an entirely new Disneyland: Jungle Book, Lion King, Beauty & the Beast, Aladdin, Cinderella, Rescuers, 101 Dalmatians, Hunchback, Treasure Planet, Bambi, Robin Hood...
                                      TREASURE PLANET?!?! kweygdfkjqwvdjsvchj

*deep breath*

Although Tarzan is (at best) a mediocre movie, it makes sense that it has the Treehouse. Swiss Family Robinson is totally unknown to today's youngsters (and many not-too-youngsters as well - surely it's ripe for a remake?) while Tarzan is not just a Disney property - it is universally recognised outside of the Disney version. And of course there is a treehouse in the movie. Re-theming the treehouse around a movie that has nothing to do with treehouses (ie TJB) would not make sense.
                                      WDW - 1987 & 1991
                                      DLR - October 2011

Comment

• greenalfonzo
                                        MiceChatter
                                        • Jan 2011

TREASURE PLANET?!?! kweygdfkjqwvdjsvchj

*deep breath*
                                        Sure, not a great or classic movie, but it's a classic story and would make for a fun ride...and I'm not sure what else would go in Tomorrowland!
                                        "Disneyland is a work of love. We didn't go into Disneyland just with the idea of making money." - ​Walt Disney

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                        Working...
                                        X