This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Question] Anybody Know about FLT Renovations

Seems like an appropriate time to start this thread, Does anyone know what upgrades and treatments the aging FLT is getting in prep for its re-opening? Is it going to house a show like times past back when the "theater" used to have hugely successful performances that captivated audiences and tugged at our heart strings? I hope they bring something like Snow White, Hunchback, Even Pocahontas would be better. Perhaps they go even further back in the WAYBACK machine and revive a long lost concept like Videopolis. What do you think? What do you know?

Re: Anybody Know about FLT Renovations

I know they would never do it, but Videopolis was so great, and they had concerts, too. I saw Animotion there!

Comment

Originally posted by DisDiver1 View Post
      Seems like an appropriate time to start this thread, Does anyone know what upgrades and treatments the aging FLT is getting in prep for its re-opening? Is it going to house a show like times past back when the "theater" used to have hugely successful performances that captivated audiences and tugged at our heart strings? I hope they bring something like Snow White, Hunchback, Even Pocahontas would be better. Perhaps they go even further back in the WAYBACK machine and revive a long lost concept like Videopolis. What do you think? What do you know?
      Let's see, when compared to the Magic Kingdom, Disneyland doesn't have:

1. Cinderella's Royal Banquet Hall (DL castle was the former home of stray cats).
      2. Beauty and the Beast Restaurant (set to open in Magic Kingdom).
      3. Seven Dwarfs Mine Train Ride (a new classic attraction?)
      4. Ratatouille Dark Ride (Paris getting one).
      5. No new Beauty and the Beast dark ride, no Tangled ride, no Brave ride . . .

What to do, what to do . . .

Something tells me that FLT will get only the minimal, a new fresh coat of paint.

There was a reason why they moved the princesses out of there in the first place . . .

Comment

Originally posted by DisDiver1 View Post
        The Fantasyland Theater will premiere a big new stage production next year, akin to Snow White and Pochahontas. Everything I've heard leads me to believe it will revolve around the Fab 5.

Originally posted by chesirecat View Post
        Let's see, when compared to the Magic Kingdom, Disneyland doesn't have:

1. Cinderella's Royal Banquet Hall (DL castle was the former home of stray cats).
        2. Beauty and the Beast Restaurant (set to open in Magic Kingdom).
        3. Seven Dwarfs Mine Train Ride (a new classic attraction?)
        4. Ratatouille Dark Ride (Paris getting one).
        5. No new Beauty and the Beast dark ride, no Tangled ride, no Brave ride . . .

What to do, what to do . . .

Something tells me that FLT will get only the minimal, a new fresh coat of paint.

There was a reason why they moved the princesses out of there in the first place . . .
        Not sure what you're getting at, but an attraction is not currently slated for the Fantasyland Theater.

Comment

Originally posted by disneylandfan95 View Post
          The Fantasyland Theater will premiere a big new stage production next year, akin to Snow White and Pochahontas. Everything I've heard leads me to believe it will revolve around the Fab 5.

Not sure what you're getting at, but an attraction is not currently slated for the Fantasyland Theater.
          Not in the immediate future, no, but from what I've heard, the Princess Meet & Greet is being moved because this is primo real estate, enough room for several dark rides and a restaurant, plus if they took out Gadget's Go Coaster, it could also connect to Toontown.

Eventually, when they decide to take it down, everything will be in place.

There are some interesting possibilities, which would bring in more $ than just a free show, like a Beauty & the Beast inspired restaurant, or a popular dark ride and gift shop.

Comment

Not in the immediate future, no, but from what I've heard, the Princess Meet & Greet is being moved because this is primo real estate, enough room for several dark rides and a restaurant, plus if they took out Gadget's Go Coaster, it could also connect to Toontown.
            Well you heard wrong. There are no plans, whatsoever, to remove the Fantasyland Theater. Sorry.

Comment

There are some interesting possibilities, which would bring in more $ than just a free show, like a Beauty & the Beast inspired restaurant, or a popular dark ride and gift shop.
              Any show that comes into the theatre will be prime pickings for several kiosks or displays to sell merchandise that relates to the show. If it's a full musical, they could even have a recording as they did with Finding Nemo in the Animal Kingdom--which is actually what I'm hoping for!

Comment

Well you heard wrong. There are no plans, whatsoever, to remove the Fantasyland Theater. Sorry.
                FLT has been "eyed" in the past due to the huge amount of land used, for relatively little plus side. It is also a poor spot for a theatre due to the proximity to the train, roller coaster, . . . and it is exposed to the elements.

It is no secret that several areas of Disneyland are being eyed for expansion, FLT is certainly one of them. Should the new show not make money, and not draw in guests, (and probably won't increase capacity much), then we'll see what happens in a couple years down the road.

Comment

FLT has been "eyed" in the past due to the huge amount of land used, for relatively little plus side. It is also a poor spot for a theatre due to the proximity to the train, roller coaster, . . . and it is exposed to the elements.
                  Contrary to popular belief, the Theater itself does not take up that much room. And directly behind the theater is vital backstage infrastructure that cannot be removed.

It is no secret that several areas of Disneyland are being eyed for expansion, FLT is certainly one of them. Should the new show not make money, and not draw in guests, (and probably won't increase capacity much), then we'll see what happens in a couple years down the road.
                  Okay, but I'm telling you that there are absolutely no plans for a removal of the Fantasyland Theater. It's not a hunch, it's a fact.

Comment

Contrary to popular belief, the Theater itself does not take up that much room. And directly behind the theater is vital backstage infrastructure that cannot be removed.

Okay, but I'm telling you that there are absolutely no plans for a removal of the Fantasyland Theater. It's not a hunch, it's a fact.
                    Well, there is no "vital backstages infrastructure" behind of FLT, there is a service road and backstage areas for use of the actors and stuff for stage productions. Take from somebody who is actually familiar with backstage stuff.

I remember you said in another post:

Actually, no. Monsters University is being directed by Dan Scanlon, not Pete Doctor. Pete Doctor has had little to no influence on Monsters U.
                    Uh, Pete Doctor helped write the script for Monsters University and OK'd the project. You sometimes have a tendency to state something as clearly being fact when that is not the case.

FLT does take up a huge amount of space, check out a map of the park, or Google Map Disneyland.

If you were familiar with how WDI operates, you would know that they have looked at practically every square inch of Disneyland, in terms of expansion, and that moving the Princess Fantasy Fair was in part a chess move, like how they took out Cascade Peak, though that didn't pan out, did it?
                    Last edited by chesirecat; 08-20-2012, 08:30 PM.

Comment

Behind the stage of the theater, or behind the theater (directional north) when looking at it on a map?

I hope it's a better show than this: http://www.yesterland.com/minniesparty.html

Comment

This comment's answer confirms the fate of the Fantasyland Theater.
                        Shawn Slater on August 8th, 2012 at 5:26 pm

Hey, everybody! It’s so great to hear how much you all love the live entertainment in our parks. I, too, have fond memories of shows like Animazement and The Spirit of Pocahontas. The new show the team is preparing for next summer will be an original production, unlike anything they’ve done before. I’ll have more details for you as we get closer, so stay tuned!
                        Be Cool Stay in School!
                        Next year I'm trying for a summer internship at Stark Industries.

Comment

Originally posted by swampymarsh View Post

This comment's answer confirms the fate of the Fantasyland Theater.
                          Shawn Slater on August 8th, 2012 at 5:26 pm

Hey, everybody! It’s so great to hear how much you all love the live entertainment in our parks. I, too, have fond memories of shows like Animazement and The Spirit of Pocahontas. The new show the team is preparing for next summer will be an original production, unlike anything they’ve done before. I’ll have more details for you as we get closer, so stay tuned!
                          No doubt, there is a new show in the mix. I'm talking about long term plans, WDI likes to make room in case they get funding for a big project.

If the Beauty & the Beast restaurant becomes a big success in Florida, something similar could easily be done for Disneyland, perhaps even the addition of a dark ride.

Not that entertainment would get the axe, in fact, there were a lot of *very* interesting things developed for the massive princess meet and greet that didn't get put into Magic Kingdom because of the Seven Dwarfs Coaster. Combining such entertainment with a dining service is a way to reel in guests.

We'll see how successful the new show is, but I doubt it will last more than a couple years. Then they've got a decision to make, do a new show, or perhaps something else . . .

Comment

Well, there is no "vital backstages infrastructure" behind of FLT, there is a service road and backstage areas for use of the actors and stuff for stage productions. Take from somebody who is actually familiar with backstage stuff.
                            I am not going to argue with you anymore, but there is vital backstage infrastructure behind the theater. Like the service road you mentioned.

Uh, Pete Doctor helped write the script for Monsters University and OK'd the project.
                            Hey, I will say that I jumped the gun on that one. My bad.

If you were familiar with how WDI operates, you would know that they have looked at practically every square inch of Disneyland, in terms of expansion, and that moving the Princess Fantasy Fair was in part a chess move, like how they took out Cascade Peak, though that didn't pan out, did it?
                            Familiar with how WDI operates? I am more than keen on that subject, thank you very much.

As I said, there are no current plans for removing the Fantasyland Theater. Period. We'll see how it pans out, but a new show will be playing there next summer and current plans are showing a rotation of shows every couple years.

Again, I'm done arguing. Have a wonderful evening.

Comment

Originally posted by Evanator View Post
                              Behind the stage of the theater, or behind the theater (directional north) when looking at it on a map?
                              North of the theatre is the train tracks, they could easily make another tunnel for guests to go under, they have a service tunnel behind (north-west) of FLT. Behind of FLT (west) there is no vital infrastructure.

South of FLT (which wouldn't be touched if they used this land for an attraction/restaurant) is Casey Jr. service area, dock for Canal boats.

They could easily build underground service access to points south (such bringing frozen food stuffs to Village Haus), and rip out ALL of FLT and even Gadget's Go Coaster if they wanted, and connect this area to Big Thunder Ranch. Easier, by far, when you look at ripping out the Subs/Autopia.

Remember, FLT was built mid-1980's, at which point all of Disneyland "critical" infrastructure was already in place.

---------- Post added 08-21-2012 at 04:56 AM ----------

I am not going to argue with you anymore, but there is vital backstage infrastructure behind the theater. Like the service road you mentioned.
                              LOL! The service road need not be touched if FLT is removed and developed for restaurant/attraction, only if they wanted to expand into the Big Thunder Ranch area, probably wouldn't have to move it an inch. Anyway, it would be easy to build an extended tunnel, they already have one that goes under the train tracks.

There is NO vital infrastructure behind of FLT, thing was built mid-1980s, back when all of Disneyland's critical infrastructure had been in place for decades.

Actually, the service road would make it very easy to stock a Be Our Guest style restaurant, I'm sure a factor for those who are thinking about a restaurant/attraction here.

---------- Post added 08-21-2012 at 05:46 AM ----------

Originally posted by ohmyjustin View Post
                              Any show that comes into the theatre will be prime pickings for several kiosks or displays to sell merchandise that relates to the show. If it's a full musical, they could even have a recording as they did with Finding Nemo in the Animal Kingdom--which is actually what I'm hoping for!
                              The Finding Nemo show is very good, that's true. They couldn't put it on though at FLT as FLT isn't enclosed, and hence doesn't have the infrastructure needed for such a show. FLT is kind of cheap in that way.

They might put some stage dressing on FLT, to make it look more like it fits in Fantasyland, but to do Nemo they'd need to do a major construction project. . .

If they want entertainment & dining, they could built a big piece of rock work like in Florida, have a Beauty and the Beast restaurant AND perhaps on a different floor from the restaurant, have a Beauty and the Beast short musical show.
                              Last edited by chesirecat; 08-20-2012, 09:50 PM.

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X