This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Question] Spider in the Haunted Mansion

While going through the ballroom scene over the weekend toward the end I noticed a large spider hanging from the ceiling. I've never noticed that before, has it always been there?

Re: Spider in the Haunted Mansion

This is actually a terrific bit of Disney trivia. The spider is there to cover up a crack in the glass. The crack was a result of someone many years ago firing a gun (not sure what kind) at it, leaving a spider web like crack. But the cost, and the extreme difficulty involved in replacing the glass (They would have to pull the glass out from the top as a whole, and replace it completely) lead to this rather creative and historical solution.
    Last edited by disneylandreport; 08-20-2012, 08:03 PM.

For some some great trip reports, features and reviews, please check out http://www.thedisneylandreport.com.

Comment

I always try to look for this spiderweb every year.
      I still have yet to see it =/

Comment

What about the one in the Grand Canyon diorama? What will they do with that one?

Total Tender Rides: 20
        Total Lilly Belle Rides: 9
        Total Dapper Days Attended: 2
        Total Mark Twain Wheelhouse Rides: 5

Comment

Originally posted by Bongo View Post
          What about the one in the Grand Canyon diorama? What will they do with that one?
          Same story, just as hard to fix. And it hasn't been fixed yet so I doubt it ever will.
          Check out my Disney inspired creations.

https://picasaweb.google.com/110319393135337100862

Comment

Originally posted by BlAcKoUt510 View Post
            I always try to look for this spiderweb every year.
            I still have yet to see it =/
            It's on the left side. Enjoy the view until the waltzing ghosts are right in front of you, then look straight ahead until you see the black spider. I remember seeing it for the first time, so I won't post a picture and spoil it for you.

Comment

When I quickly glanced at the title for this thread, my mind read it as Spider Man in the Haunted Mansion. I was so ready to curse Disney and their acquisition of Marvel Comics!!
              http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...oto-heavy.html
              http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ip-report.html
              http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...something.html

No matter where you go, there you are.

Comment

one of my favorite piece of disneyland trivia

Comment

To see it all you have to do is really look straight and attempt to focus on the glass. As others said, the first time you see it is really cool.

Comment

I just saw it for the first time on saturday...and I've been on HM a million times! When was it first put in to cover the cracks?
                    Follow me on Instagram: @disneylovingnurse :ap:

Comment

That's how I noticed the spider was just looking straight forward. I usually look down, I thought at first I was seeing things. Love discovering new stuff. Thanks for the info!

Comment

I'm going to take a guess and say it's from 22LR bullet. This guess comes from the fact that some people think the hole is the result of a BB. Also, The sound, although loud, is much quieter than most guns (not sure if this makes a difference).

Ny grammer stinks *sigh*
                        DisneyTwins
                        Since May 2003

Comment

I've heard the BB possibility, but I don't think it has the strength to create a fracture of that size.

To find it, don't look at the activity going on below. Look up at the glass, and in the FOREGROUND. It should be at about eye level. It is also very likely that the first time you see it is when you've already passed it, as, if memory serves, there are support dividers that block your view as you're about to pass right in front of it.

For some some great trip reports, features and reviews, please check out http://www.thedisneylandreport.com.

Comment

It floats between you and the dualing portraits if you look a them fairly early.
                            sigpic

"Disneyland is a work of love. We didn't go into Disneyland just with the idea of making money."
                            - - Walt Disney

Comment

Does anyone know if the person who fired the gun was prosecuted?

Comment

It's important to note that the Spider is actually a Ghost Spider.

Comment

Originally posted by chaelxo View Post
                                  Does anyone know if the person who fired the gun was prosecuted?
                                  They don't know how or when it got there. It's kind of a mystery how someone got away with it.

I think there is a hole on the opposite wall, so It probably isn't a BB
                                  Last edited by Disneytwins; 08-21-2012, 03:03 PM.
                                  DisneyTwins
                                  Since May 2003

Comment

Originally posted by disneylandreport View Post
                                    This is actually a terrific bit of Disney trivia. The spider is there to cover up a crack in the glass. The crack was a result of someone many years ago firing a gun (not sure what kind) at it, leaving a spider web like crack. But the cost, and the extreme difficulty involved in replacing the glass (They would have to pull the glass out from the top as a whole, and replace it completely) lead to this rather creative and historical solution.
                                    I read somewhere it was some sort of air gun.

"So make the best of this test and don't ask why. It's not a question but a lesson learned in time."- Green Day
                                    "The harder you work, the luckier you get."- Billie Joe Armstrong
                                    "This is my rage. This is my love. This is my town. This is my city. This is my life."

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                    Working...
                                    X