X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Question] Carthay Circle help

Hello Everyone

This is for people who have already dinned at the Carthay Circle Restaurant. I'm taking my best friend on Sunday to Disneyland for her birthday (it's a total last minute thing). I really wanted to do something special for her and thought about having dinner at the Carthay Circle. However, the dinner is all booked for that day!

I was disappointed (I'm more of a special dinner kind of guy) so I settled for a lunch instead. Now, given this IS Disneyland, is this place typically full of screaming kids? I'm trying to go for something more quiet and relaxing. I've never dinned there and wasn't sure what the crowds are like in this restaurant. Also, is this place even worth going to? The reviews have been very mixed. Any suggestions or recommendations would be greatly appreciated!
    "If you can dream it, you can do it" - Walt Disney

Re: Carthay Circle help

Originally posted by DreamsofColor View Post
    Now, given this IS Disneyland, is this place typically full of screaming kids? I'm trying to go for something more quiet and relaxing. I've never dinned there and wasn't sure what the crowds are like in this restaurant.
    From my experiences, the Carthay retains a very high class atmosphere. No screaming kids, no rude guests; just a quiet, classy area to enjoy a meal. And the interior is fabulous!

Also, is this place even worth going to? The reviews have been very mixed. Any suggestions or recommendations would be greatly appreciated!
    I love it. I've eaten there multiple times and I think it's worth every dollar. I would recommend it to anyone.

Comment

Originally posted by DreamsofColor View Post
      Hello Everyone

This is for people who have already dinned at the Carthay Circle Restaurant. I'm taking my best friend on Sunday to Disneyland for her birthday (it's a total last minute thing). I really wanted to do something special for her and thought about having dinner at the Carthay Circle. However, the dinner is all booked for that day!

I was disappointed (I'm more of a special dinner kind of guy) so I settled for a lunch instead. Now, given this IS Disneyland, is this place typically full of screaming kids? I'm trying to go for something more quiet and relaxing. I've never dinned there and wasn't sure what the crowds are like in this restaurant. Also, is this place even worth going to? The reviews have been very mixed. Any suggestions or recommendations would be greatly appreciated!
      I was at the Carthay Circle in early July for lunch, and it was quiet. There were a few other tables, but it wasn't busy. It almost seemed like people didn't know there was a lounge and restaurant inside.

As to if it was worth it or not? YES. Go there a little bit ahead of the reservation, and check out all the photos they have on the wall in the entranceway and the lounge. Such great Disney history. The food was fabulous, and if you get an appy and main course or main course and dessert each, you'll get a fastpass to the early WoC show. I went to Blue Bayou last year, and this year did Carthay and Napa. I'd put Carthay as a very strong second to the Napa Rose dining experience.

Lastly, if you like spicy food, you have to get the srirachi lime duck wings. They were amazing.

Comment

I am thinking of going to the lounge, which doesn't accept reservations. Is it crowded/hard to get into? What is the best time of day to go?

Comment

Lounge wasn't busy when I went. You have to walk past it to get to the restaurant. Not sure the best time, sorry :/

Comment

Thank you everyone for the tips! I will definitely check out the lounge before our lunch!
            "If you can dream it, you can do it" - Walt Disney

Comment

When we went for a 4:30 pm reservation on a Friday, the lounge was absolutely packed. Yes, there were kids running around. It was pretty noisy. I've read about people getting seated upstairs next to screaming babies. If you eat upstairs, make sure that the host/hostess knows that this a a birthday celebration and specify that you want a quiet table away from any kids. That should prevent any problems.

As for our dinner, aside from a slight issue with seating (which was resolved nicely), we had a good (not fantastic, but good) meal with terrific service. The burger is supposed to be very good and is only available on the lunch menu, so that might be a fun choice.

Comment

Originally posted by PascalGal View Post
                When we went for a 4:30 pm reservation on a Friday, the lounge was absolutely packed. Yes, there were kids running around. It was pretty noisy. I've read about people getting seated upstairs next to screaming babies. If you eat upstairs, make sure that the host/hostess knows that this a a birthday celebration and specify that you want a quiet table away from any kids. That should prevent any problems.

As for our dinner, aside from a slight issue with seating (which was resolved nicely), we had a good (not fantastic, but good) meal with terrific service. The burger is supposed to be very good and is only available on the lunch menu, so that might be a fun choice.
                Oh no, that's not what I want to hear! I was hoping to have a nice, quiet, adult setting for appetizers in the lounge. Darn, now I don't know what to do!

Comment

Might a Sunday afternoon be a bit more mellow then a Friday evening? Just a thought.

Comment

What about a Thursday afternoon? Maybe around 3, when the heat is at it's peak? And I'll be in October. Hopefully it won't be crowded. I'd really like to be able to make a reservation in the actual restaurant, but I'm pretty sure I can only afford to treat my mom to appetizers. Sigh. I hate not having a job right now

Comment

I have not had dinner there, only been there for lunch. The atmosphere in the restaurant was great for the most part. There were very few kids, and the restaurant was not that full at lunch time.

The only problem I had was not from guests, but from the CMs. We are not right next to the kitchen, but relatively close. The constant barking for orders was very annoying, and destroyed the atmosphere they are trying to create. I don't understand why the kitchen it open, and not closed. At the very least there should be dividing wall between the kitchen and the restaurant to cut down noise. I can't imagine having a table right next to the kitchen, where we saw others sitting. From our table it was noisy enough.

Besides that, I loved the food and the restaurant. Probably wouldn't eat there often, just because of the price, but it is a nice addition to the park.
                      sigpic

Comment

We made dinner reservations here for October. I'm hoping the VIP WofC tickets we get are worth the pricey dinner we'll be paying for. I still don't know where we go to get in line for the WofC VIP viewing area??? I was assured by Disney that our tickets would be for a viewing area, different than FP holders. I hope this is true. I'm hoping we are up above the crowd a bit, especially now that many will be wearing the glowing mouse ears.

Anyway.... we are excited about dinner in any case, as I've heard food awesome.

Comment

I would recommend sitting at the bar before your reservation and ordering a drink. It's fun to chat with the bartenders, and they tend to have some colorful stories about the Carthay Circle Restaurant and their training, and if you get lucky, they may show you some cool bartending tricks you likely won't see anywhere else. The Pimm's Punch is a delicious cocktail.

Also, be aware that there is outdoor seating as well. You may want to specify indoor so that you don't have interference from the park. The main dining room is the most gorgeous, but the adjacent dining rooms are quite lovely as well. As for food, the Carthay house biscuits and the chicken meatball pasta are very tasty. If you're not wanting anything alcoholic to drink, give the flavored sodas a try.

Comment

I was there with my family on opening day and even in that madness with reservations at 6:20 PM, it was nice and relaxing inside. They even accomodated us when we added a person to our party. We stopped in the lounge a few times throughout the day and seemed calm there too. It's not really a place most parents with smaller kids will probably spend much time since there is nothing for the kids inside. It's a nice place and is on the pricier side, but well worth it. Not something I can do everytime I go, but I definitely will get back as soon as I can. Enjoy.
                            -Marcus

Comment

Originally posted by produceguy View Post
                              We made dinner reservations here for October. I'm hoping the VIP WofC tickets we get are worth the pricey dinner we'll be paying for. I still don't know where we go to get in line for the WofC VIP viewing area??? I was assured by Disney that our tickets would be for a viewing area, different than FP holders. I hope this is true. I'm hoping we are up above the crowd a bit, especially now that many will be wearing the glowing mouse ears.

Anyway.... we are excited about dinner in any case, as I've heard food awesome.
                              Hooray! I am going in October as well! When will you be there? I too can't wait to see where the viewing area is! I have never seen WofC before, so I'm incredibly excited. It's how we are going to end our trip this year (I say this year, because I need to tell FI that I want to come back and celebrate our honeymoon every year! LOL).

I will surely try Pimm's Punch! I'm so excited! Pimm's Punch from Carthay Circle So good super

Comment

Originally posted by OC2Epcot View Post
                                ...The only problem I had was not from guests, but from the CMs. We are not right next to the kitchen, but relatively close. The constant barking for orders was very annoying, and destroyed the atmosphere they are trying to create. I don't understand why the kitchen it open, and not closed. At the very least there should be dividing wall between the kitchen and the restaurant to cut down noise. I can't imagine having a table right next to the kitchen, where we saw others sitting. From our table it was noisy enough...
                                That area next to the open kitchen is known as the Pass, and it is a popular area for foodies. They love to see the chefs in action and to hear what is going on in the kitchen. At Napa Rose, you can sit at the chef's counter for this kind of interaction. But at CCR, there is no counter, so the Pass is the next best thing.
                                If the noise and busyness bother you, just ask to be seated away from that area, maybe in one of the side rooms, on future visits.

Comment

Originally posted by PascalGal View Post
                                  That area next to the open kitchen is known as the Pass, and it is a popular area for foodies. They love to see the chefs in action and to hear what is going on in the kitchen. At Napa Rose, you can sit at the chef's counter for this kind of interaction. But at CCR, there is no counter, so the Pass is the next best thing.
                                  If the noise and busyness bother you, just ask to be seated away from that area, maybe in one of the side rooms, on future visits.
                                  Thanks, I will remember that for next time.
                                  sigpic

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                  Working...
                                  X