Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Question] Nostalgic Candy from Way Back When?

I remember as a child some 35 years ago, that in the big candy store on Main Street we could get some great candy that I heard no longer exists? Is that true?

I would get a clear box of Rock Candy, one white/clear and one colored. I would also get one of their GIANT lollipops! They were round and flat and very colorful (about the diameter of a basketball, seriously) with a stick nearly 2 feet long. They were so heavy, they'd practically tip a small child over .

Do these items still exist? I'm told they don't. I've heard that rock candy only exists on a stick? A stick? And that the lollipops are there, but no where near the size I remember. Much much smaller now.

I thought boxes of rock candy would be great gift ideas.

Perhaps the size of the lollipops just would'nt be affordable these days? Any ideas?

I really hope the rock candy is still available.

Does anyone remember?

Re: Nostalgic Candy from Way Back When?

Originally posted by produceguy View Post
    I remember as a child some 35 years ago, that in the big candy store on Main Street we could get some great candy that I heard no longer exists? Is that true?

I would get a clear box of Rock Candy, one white/clear and one colored. I would also get one of their GIANT lollipops! They were round and flat and very colorful (about the diameter of a basketball, seriously) with a stick nearly 2 feet long. They were so heavy, they'd practically tip a small child over .

Do these items still exist? I'm told they don't. I've heard that rock candy only exists on a stick? A stick? And that the lollipops are there, but no where near the size I remember. Much much smaller now.

Perhaps the size of the lollipops just would'nt be affordable these days? Any ideas?

Does anyone remember?
    I have never experienced any of the candies you speak of. I have read about the rock candy before, and I have been wanting some ever since! I wish they would make it/sell it again.
    In general, I really wish Disneyland would sell more unique treats and merchandise in the park. I would be much more interested in spending money on stuff that felt a little more "special".
    * *The dreams that you wish will come true* *

Comment

Does anyone remember?

They still have large lollipops...but not as big as the diameter of a basketball, it could be that it seemed so much larger when you were a child simply because you were smaller, although I also remembered them being bigger haha. The rock candy I have only really seen on a stick as of late, but seeing as how I'm only 24 it could be that by the time I started going they only really did it on a stick anyway
      sigpic

Keeper of the Dynamite Goat on RCMC

Comment

Originally posted by MarenBoBarren View Post
        They still have large lollipops...but not as big as the diameter of a basketball, it could be that it seemed so much larger when you were a child simply because you were smaller, although I also remembered them being bigger haha. The rock candy I have only really seen on a stick as of late, but seeing as how I'm only 24 it could be that by the time I started going they only really did it on a stick anyway
        No, they really where THAT big. Even my older brother and I were discussing it. We have pictures that were taken back in the early 70's, and these lollipops were much bigger than our heads!

I'm thinking that a sucker that size would cost a $100 these days, and would never sell???

The rock candy came in a clear hard plastic box(so you could see the candy inside) with a hinged lid that snapped into place. It had the Disneyland castle on the top all done in gold. They boxes were maybe.... 3 x 3 x 3 in size.

Comment

I had forgot about that rock candy until now! I remember the clear box and the gaint clear pieces of sugar godness inside! Thank you for bringing back a lost childhood memory!

Comment

I always preferred buying rock candy from Knotts, which they sold attached to strings IIRC. Although I do remember the rock candy from DL being sold in the boxes. I'm not sure why I considered Knotts to be better. But Knotts has always been considered better for their food offerings anyways -- at least back in the good old days.

Comment

Originally posted by PirateLover View Post
              I had forgot about that rock candy until now! I remember the clear box and the gaint clear pieces of sugar godness inside! Thank you for bringing back a lost childhood memory!

at my desk at work...

Click image for larger version

Name:	rockcandy.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	66.6 KB
ID:	7344539

NO I'm not going to eat it

Comment

Originally posted by Jayce View Post
                at my desk at work...

[ATTACH=CONFIG]23341[/ATTACH]

NO WAY! Where did you get that, and how long have you had it?

Comment

I so miss those little boxes...And as terrible as it sounds, getting Chocolate licorice from the little candy shop that was in the castle...hmm..and getting the caramel on a stick dipped in chocolate with nuts...sigh. And the spicy shrimp and crawdads that could be had from the Harbor Galley with the Cajun dipping sauce..so yummy! I was so hoping when the golden arches left that shop it would return to that menu..but no such luck!

Of course that was back in a different time within the park..a time where even the souvenirs to be had were in my opinion soooo much better then the offerings of today. So many that were land specific and could be found no where else (even if cheesy). And those wonderful inexpensive figurines of the Disney characters. Now I miss that Disneyland! Hmmm...feeling the age today!

Comment

NO WAY! Where did you get that, and how long have you had it?
                    A very very long time, I'd estimate 20 plus years, I recently found it packed away. I miss all the old candy they used to have :-/

When I say at my desk at work I mean locked up in a cabinet at my desk at work

Comment

A very very long time, I'd estimate 20 plus years, I recently found it packed away. I miss all the old candy they used to have :-/

When I say at my desk at work I mean locked up in a cabinet at my desk at work

I don't blame you.... I'd cherish that baby!

Comment

Absolutely no one else seems to remember this (I even posted a thread about this ages ago that got no response), but Disneyland used to have a candy called Splatter Balls. They looked just like jawbreakers (about a 1/2 inch around), but they could be bitten through immediately to have a sweetart sort of candy inside.

I imagine they got rid of them because everyone probably thought they were just jawbreakers. But I've never seen them since, anywhere.
                        Does anyone even bother with signatures anymore?

Comment

The rock candy came in a clear hard plastic box(so you could see the candy inside) with a hinged lid that snapped into place. It had the Disneyland castle on the top all done in gold. They boxes were maybe.... 3 x 3 x 3 in size.
                          I totally remember these. I used to love the boxes almost as much as the candy and would have hours of fun playing with them along with my other toys. I seem to remember being able to fold one of the old Kenner Star Wars figures a certain way to be able to make them fit in the box.
                          "Greetings, Starfighter! You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Xur and the Ko-Dan Armada."

Comment

when california adventure just opened i got a box of rock candy, i think at the treasures in paradise store on paradise pier. still have the box around here somewhere. so as little as 10 years ago they were selling it, not sure when they did away with it...

Comment

Originally posted by thedustycoyote View Post
                              when california adventure just opened i got a box of rock candy, i think at the treasures in paradise store on paradise pier. still have the box around here somewhere. so as little as 10 years ago they were selling it, not sure when they did away with it...
                              Hmm? I wonder if they still have it? I'll be sure to check in October. Unless someone is willing to check for it on their next visit ? (calling all locals )

Comment

at my desk at work...

[ATTACH=CONFIG]23341[/ATTACH]

that was my favorite!

Comment

I still have a box like that, but one of the hinges broke. However, mine didn't have rock candy inside, I got one that had Mickey shaped sour gummies in it (truthfully, I only got it for the box, ha!). I'd say this was around 10-15 years ago.

I haven't really paid that much attention, but if the HUMONGOUS lollipops aren't around anymore, I'd guess that it's because everyone would like to look at them but nobody would buy them.

Comment

I miss the big suckers. They also had one that wasn't quite as big as what you are talking about but it was still bigger than they have now. Wish they'd bring them back.

Comment

I wish they would open up a little store with all the nostalgic stuff we remember as kids. All the great candy, toys and I vaguely remember at Jungle Cruise Lunch Box??? I "think" I had one?

Maybe even an area in an existing store. I'd buy lots of stuff, wouldn't you?

Comment

http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...post1056756703
                                        sigpic

"Disneyland is a work of love. We didn't go into Disneyland just with the idea of making money."
                                        - - Walt Disney

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                        Working...
                                        X