Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Disneyland ticket prices? Really?

Collapse

Get Away Today

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • [Question] Disneyland ticket prices? Really?

    So my wife did a comparison of the amount we paid a few years ago to go to DLR for 8 days to what that would cost us this year or the next and it is completely awful. we paid about $1100 for 8 days with all the 'good stuff' included in 2008. it would have been only 80 bucks more at the time to add an additional 4 days to our trip since we were staying so long.

    Now, just for a 4 day trip would be $1019. The cost has doubled? And without any extras..

    I think its pretty ridiculous when they know we will be buying stuff there left and right, so why boost the entry so much? That only means that, if we go, we wont spend as long there and we wont be buying as much.

    I realize that Disney has a big bill to pay in the huge project in DCA and they probably wont suffer that much in regards to attendance but, its the little guys down here that wont be able to afford this. I'm as blue collar as it gets and when we go to Disneyland, we go all-out since we live in Northern California and dont get to go very often and we save up all year for it. At this rate, its only the elite that will be able to afford to get in.
    "Whether in his movies or in his theme parks, Disney always promised a fantasy in which one could exercise the privileges of childhood - privileges he never abandoned in his own life. This will to power took the inanimate and brought it to life, or the illusion of like. In animation one could exercise the power of a god." - Neal Gabler, writer-'Walt Disney, The Triumph of The American Imagination'

  • #2
    Re: Disneyland ticket prices? Really?

    there a company and they "need" more money
    Take a look at some of my models I make at kolbykonnection.com

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: Disneyland ticket prices? Really?

      Originally posted by mratigan View Post
      there a company and they "need" more money
      well this kind of response never gets old, does it?


      For some some great trip reports, features and reviews, please check out http://www.thedisneylandreport.com.

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: Disneyland ticket prices? Really?

        Originally posted by disneylandreport View Post
        well this kind of response never gets old, does it?
        As opposed to the constant complaints that Disneyland is about to become a place for only the super wealthy, and the constant complaints that ticket price increases exceed inflation, ignoring the fact that so have the costs associated with spectacular new attractions and expansions?
        My Micechat cruise trip report, Part 1:http://micechat.com/14795-disney-wonder/

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: Disneyland ticket prices? Really?

          DL is not now and never will be for the super wealthy. The reason DCA flopped initially is that most of the 1% would never be caught dead in something so lowbrow as a theme park. DL is going after the lifestyle market, which crosses economic lines. They want people who self-identify as "Disney people" and go regardless of how much or little they get for their money.

          In your case, they're hoping your thinking will run thus: Oh, well, even if we can only afford 4 days, we'll gladly spend that money because we just lurrrve Disney! Hey, while we're here, let's get AP's so we can come down more often and it'll be cheaper! Sure, we can't afford to do anything else all year now, but hey, MOAR DISNEY!!!!!11 :ap:

          I'm being sarcastic, of course, but that's the game Disney's been playing for years now. They either want all your money or none of it.
          Disneyland Historic Preservation Society
          Charter Member

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: Disneyland ticket prices? Really?

            I have going to Disneyland fairly regularly over the past 20 years - on average twice a year. There was a time when I could fairly well predict when we could go to the park and it wouldn't be as busy. In the last 10 years that was changed, and with the upgrades to DCA, I don't think there is a slow time for the Parks now. Pricing is a direct result of supply and demand. Demand is high and growing for a limited supply, Disney is doing what every other company does when faced with this issue. If people stop going and the parks drop from their at or near capacity levels... prices will drop as well. It really is that simple.
            My Disney blog: http://disneyhistory-myjourneyofdiscovery.blogspot.com/

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: Disneyland ticket prices? Really?

              Originally posted by Second Star View Post
              Pricing is a direct result of supply and demand. Demand is high and growing for a limited supply, Disney is doing what every other company does when faced with this issue. If people stop going and the parks drop from their at or near capacity levels... prices will drop as well. It really is that simple.
              Agreed, except I don't think prices will ever drop. Most likely just not go up as much.

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: Disneyland ticket prices? Really?

                Originally posted by Roger55 View Post
                Agreed, except I don't think prices will ever drop. Most likely just not go up as much.
                Not a price drop as one might traditionally expect, but... They have, with some regularity, offered special multi-day ticket deals when they see park attendance dropping off.
                My Disney blog: http://disneyhistory-myjourneyofdiscovery.blogspot.com/

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: Disneyland ticket prices? Really?

                  I was surprised about the Disneyland prices but for a different reason.

                  When I was trying to choose between going to California Disney or WDW it cost the same amount of time for six days in Orlando than 3 days in California. Weird right?

                  The only thing that pushed the decision to go to California instead of Orlando was the extra $700 per person in flights from Australia



                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: Disneyland ticket prices? Really?

                    Originally posted by razza1987 View Post
                    I was surprised about the Disneyland prices but for a different reason.

                    When I was trying to choose between going to California Disney or WDW it cost the same amount of time for six days in Orlando than 3 days in California. Weird right?

                    The only thing that pushed the decision to go to California instead of Orlando was the extra $700 per person in flights from Australia
                    Still a supply and demand issue. Two parks and 3 on-property hotels, all pretty much premium. 4 parks, 2 waterparks, and a much larger DtD, and quite bit more hotel stock. Just a bit harder to keep WDW at or near capacity. If Disney could figure out the airline issue, I'm sure they be working on that too.
                    My Disney blog: http://disneyhistory-myjourneyofdiscovery.blogspot.com/

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: Disneyland ticket prices? Really?

                      Originally posted by Second Star View Post
                      Still a supply and demand issue. Two parks and 3 on-property hotels, all pretty much premium. 4 parks, 2 waterparks, and a much larger DtD, and quite bit more hotel stock. Just a bit harder to keep WDW at or near capacity. If Disney could figure out the airline issue, I'm sure they be working on that too.
                      Trust me if Disney could figure out the airline issue we would be going to Florida lol

                      EDIT: I just managed to find dates so that I will have access to the extra money needed to fly to Florida. I am so excited right now
                      Last edited by razza1987; 08-27-2012, 03:12 PM.



                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: Disneyland ticket prices? Really?

                        Originally posted by razza1987 View Post
                        Trust me if Disney could figure out the airline issue we would be going to Florida lol

                        EDIT: I just managed to find dates so that I will have access to the extra money needed to fly to Florida. I am so excited right now
                        Well have a blast!!! Disneyland is my favorite place, but then I'm a west coast guy. Though, I have had a lot of fun at Walt Disney World too. :yea:
                        My Disney blog: http://disneyhistory-myjourneyofdiscovery.blogspot.com/

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: Disneyland ticket prices? Really?

                          Originally posted by BC_DisneyGeek View Post
                          As opposed to the constant complaints that Disneyland is about to become a place for only the super wealthy, and the constant complaints that ticket price increases exceed inflation, ignoring the fact that so have the costs associated with spectacular new attractions and expansions?
                          Seee this is what my thinking is too


                          Ticket prices for Disneyland have doubted in the past ten years...yet disneyland has not gotten a new E ticket in 15? Logic?

                          I mean even DCA tickets don't make sense...same price as Disneyland...yet less rides?

                          I understand they need/deserve money for what they do...but I am 100% sure they are charging more then they should...and making it for the wealthy more then they need too....i understand that how how Business works always but look at Video Games, they cost more now...yet they are cheaper (games used to be 50 bucks ten years ago but minimum wage is higher now then it was then)

                          So not every company has to be greedy to still make ends meat and work on new projects that cost millions
                          Happy Halloween!!!

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Re: Disneyland ticket prices? Really?

                            Originally posted by JerrodDRagon View Post
                            So not every company has to be greedy to still make ends meat and work on new projects that cost millions
                            This is what I view as a sense of entitlement, that Disney should only charge what is necessary to do what they are in business. Disney is a publicly held corporation, and its leader charged with a duty to maximize the stockholders' investments in the company. They are not charged with each of our own entertainment enjoyment level. Yes it is nice when the two can meet, but the fudicary duty comes first always. Also Disney's job is to appeal to the largest number of guests, not individuals or small groups, and from the numbers hitting the turnstiles every day, they are succeeded.

                            By the logic of not adding significant new value to the parks, when was the last significant improvement to gasoline created, or a loaf of bread, or... Yet we have seen these products increase in price over time. While many may not like it, it is a simple formula - supply and demand. And if Disney does not meet someone's value for price, it is also very simple, find somewhere else to spend their entertainment dollars.
                            My Disney blog: http://disneyhistory-myjourneyofdiscovery.blogspot.com/

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Re: Disneyland ticket prices? Really?

                              Originally posted by JerrodDRagon View Post
                              Seee this is what my thinking is too


                              Ticket prices for Disneyland have doubted in the past ten years...yet disneyland has not gotten a new E ticket in 15? Logic?

                              I mean even DCA tickets don't make sense...same price as Disneyland...yet less rides?

                              I understand they need/deserve money for what they do...but I am 100% sure they are charging more then they should...and making it for the wealthy more then they need too....i understand that how how Business works always but look at Video Games, they cost more now...yet they are cheaper (games used to be 50 bucks ten years ago but minimum wage is higher now then it was then)

                              So not every company has to be greedy to still make ends meat and work on new projects that cost millions
                              HK Disney is even more overpriced. I couldn't believe how little was on offer for the price of the entrance

                              ---------- Post added 08-29-2012 at 02:11 AM ----------

                              I managed to get a deal today here in Australia for 6 night's accommodation five days at Walt Disney World with accommodation at All Stars Music resort and the simple dining plan for $1186. I was shocked at how much was included and found that to be unbelievable good value for money



                              Comment


                              • #16
                                Re: Disneyland ticket prices? Really?

                                Originally posted by Second Star View Post
                                This is what I view as a sense of entitlement, that Disney should only charge what is necessary to do what they are in business. Disney is a publicly held corporation, and its leader charged with a duty to maximize the stockholders' investments in the company. They are not charged with each of our own entertainment enjoyment level. Yes it is nice when the two can meet, but the fudicary duty comes first always. Also Disney's job is to appeal to the largest number of guests, not individuals or small groups, and from the numbers hitting the turnstiles every day, they are succeeded.

                                By the logic of not adding significant new value to the parks, when was the last significant improvement to gasoline created, or a loaf of bread, or... Yet we have seen these products increase in price over time. While many may not like it, it is a simple formula - supply and demand. And if Disney does not meet someone's value for price, it is also very simple, find somewhere else to spend their entertainment dollars.
                                I gave an example of a how a while industry selling a BETTER product for less then they used to....it's not entitled of me to want MORE rides for the price increases

                                Sure they put the effect in like Walt did then sure raises prices but rides like Buzz and Pooh do no not warrant higher prices...and lets not forget up until they started to give out FREE tickets there were starting to fall...and unless they are planing on opening a new E ticket in the next 4 years...the pattern will happen again and they'll lose many people because of the higher prices

                                And remember ticket prices is not how they make the big bucks its having the people in there buying food, drinks ad toys
                                Happy Halloween!!!

                                Comment


                                • #17
                                  Re: Disneyland ticket prices? Really?

                                  Many people would like to drive a Mercedes, Porche, Ferrari, Bentley, insert your dream car, etc. Not everyone has the means to afford buying one at the asking price.

                                  I'd love to have a new Ferrari for $20K. Why can't they price one for me at that price??? Other cars are priced at $20K. I want the car I want priced where I feel it is reasonable.

                                  Prices are set to maximize profits without causing the business to shrink.

                                  I've said it before in other threads... if Disney was setting their prices so high that there wasn't enough of a customer base to be profitable, they would be going out of business. If Ferrari priced their cars such that no one would buy them then they would go out of business.

                                  Of course I would like it if Disney didn't keep raising prices. And yes there could come a point at which I would chose not to pay Disney.

                                  Not everyone's maximum price point is the same. Many Disney fans don't feel they have to ever quit even if their personal maximum price point is reached.

                                  Rule #1 - Not everyone can always afford what they want.
                                  Rule #2 - Everyone is not always entitled to everything they want.
                                  Rule #3 - Whining and complaining does not change Rules #1 and #2

                                  Comment


                                  • #18
                                    Re: Disneyland ticket prices? Really?

                                    1) Cars are not theme parks

                                    2) I guess any sort of criticism now days is whining now can't say we think the prices increases are not justified without being called "entitled" when it a fair question

                                    3) Disneyland becomes something anyone could strive to go to...not a luxury car
                                    Happy Halloween!!!

                                    Comment


                                    • #19
                                      Re: Disneyland ticket prices? Really?

                                      After seeing cars land I'd be happy with them raising prices more if they keep on putting in quality like that. The quality, less crowded experience is worth it.

                                      Check out the VIP Universal studios Hollywood prices and hotel prices. For a half day park, they are defiantly making a better experience for wealthy vistors.

                                      Disney world is offering some great deals out of desperation. Disney doesn't offer any hotel I'm interested in yet at Disneyland. There is still huge family hotel rooms for around $100 a night that are closer in distance than Disney hotel rooms. Closer to the front gates than the walk from many Disney world resort hotel rooms to their ghetto resort busses you have to wait for. I spend my time there in the park or sleeping so the only thing a Disney hotel would do for me is get me in the parks an hour early.
                                      Last edited by eicarr; 08-29-2012, 09:25 AM.

                                      Comment


                                      • #20
                                        Re: Disneyland ticket prices? Really?

                                        My only gripe with Disneyland ticket prices is the big gap between a 5 day parkhopper and an Annual Pass. The dollar amount is $179. The gap should be smaller in my opinion. I average 7 day vacation trips, and wish a 7 day parkhopper was offered.

                                        I do the best I can when planning a trip. There's 4 basic things to save for.

                                        Tickets
                                        Lodging
                                        Airfare
                                        Food/Souvenirs.
                                        BarbaraAnn

                                        Comment

                                        Get Away Today Footer

                                        Collapse
                                        Working...
                                        X