This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Question] Lead poisoning?

Sorry if this has already been discussed, I couldn't find it in the search. This isn't new, but I just realized Disneyland Resort has a ton of warning signs showing up. Then I saw the news about the park having unhealthy amounts of lead everywhere from the railings, to the drinking fountains. Should I be worried about visiting the park? I am going this Sunday and I can't help but fear lead poisoning. I have been to DL / DCA several times, some quite recent, and I cannot recall how many times I've touched brass or drank from their fountains.

Here is one of the articles about this situation: Disneyland Attractions Contain High Levels Of Lead, Environmental Group Alleges

Should I be worried? I do not know if cancelling the trip all together is necessary. Are there are precautions that you guys follow, or do you ignore this all together.
    .:: ::.

Re: Lead poisoning?

Wouldn't worry at all if you are a guest. Sources of lead are brass doorknobs and stained glass windows. I'm sure you never enounter those things outside the park.

Who should be the most concerned are employees as they may stand an actual chance of exceeding the daily exposure limit. Guests have limited exposure, especially because of the short duration of their stay.

sigpic

I am Sambo, and I endorse this signature.

Comment

Try not to lick the brass doorknobs every hour, and you'll be fine.

If you lick the brass doorknobs just once or twice, you should be okay. Maybe have a glass of water after licking the brass doorknobs to wash the minute amounts of lead down quickly, just to be on the safe side.

Comment

You have to ingest lead to suffer its effects. So I would say that it's never healthy to chew on public railings or place your fingers in your eye's or mouth when they've been in contact with the same things that tens of thousands of other guests have contacted. If you have children you should keep them from doing the this too!

Comment

I would not worry about it.

It is pretty safe to assume that paint on a home before 1978 is lead based. Obviously, this case is more about the brass and other things in the park, not so much paint. I think that the reason for this sudden signage recently is due to the state passing some new regulations about lead. I can't remember the exact reasoning though. I'll try to look into it.

Again, it's nothing to worry about to the average guest.

Comment

Originally posted by Chuuster View Post
            Sorry if this has already been discussed, I couldn't find it in the search. This isn't new, but I just realized Disneyland Resort has a ton of warning signs showing up. Then I saw the news about the park having unhealthy amounts of lead everywhere from the railings, to the drinking fountains. Should I be worried about visiting the park? I am going this Sunday and I can't help but fear lead poisoning. I have been to DL / DCA several times, some quite recent, and I cannot recall how many times I've touched brass or drank from their fountains.

Here is one of the articles about this situation: Disneyland Attractions Contain High Levels Of Lead, Environmental Group Alleges

Should I be worried? I do not know if cancelling the trip all together is necessary. Are there are precautions that you guys follow, or do you ignore this all together.
            Where did you see the allegation that the drinking fountains are full of lead? That is the only one that would slightly concern me.

Railings, pulling the sword in the stone, etc are not going to cause you enough lead exposure to have any effect. Touching something that contains lead for a few seconds isn't going to do a thing to you.

Comment

You have GOT to be kidding me. Just another waste of time by some wierdo group that has nothing better to do than rub the handrails at Disneyland.

Comment

"Disneyland is often called a magic kingdom because
                it combines fantasy and history, adventure and learning,
                together with every variety of recreation and fun,
                designed to appeal to everyone."

- Walt Disney

"Disneyland is all about turning movies into rides."
                - Michael Eisner

"It's very symbiotic."
                - Bob Chapek

Comment

It is a newer California law that forced Disneyland to put the signs everywhere.

Comment

Have you looked at Christmas lights?

They have lead warnings specifically mandated for California. You're safe.
                    DisneyTwins
                    Since May 2003

Comment

Lead warnings are everywhere in California, if you look close enough.

Comment

Perhaps its best to be cautious. I heard somewhere that the ancient Roman acqueduts were lined with lead, and that it was massive lead poisoning that helped contribute to the fall of the Roman Empire.

Comment

My parents had me eat paint chips as a kid so I could develop an immunity to lead. It's working out well so far so far so far.
                          With kind regards,
                          The Tony

Comment

The lead in drinking fountains would mostly be from the tiny amount of lead that was in the solder used to join copper pipe. Most of the plumbing around the world was made this way up until just a few years ago. More than likely, the plumbing where you live is the same. Kids exposed to this kind of "contamination" haven't showed signs of poisoning unless they were also exposed to other sources.

Comment

I can't be the only one that wants them to release a pin with the State of California lead warning on it, can I? I also want a pin of the "Documents related to the operation of this attraction may be viewed at City Hall" sign.

Comment

Maybe they need door knob and handrail flavored churros to satisfy those hardware lickers that have to give up their habit because of the lead ....
                                "She's taking everything. She's taking the house, she's taking the kid, she's taking the dog. IT'S NOT EVEN HER DOG. IT'S MY DOG! SHE'S TAKING . . . MY DOG!"
                                - Ron Livingston, "Band of Brothers"

Comment

I'm pretty sure you'll be fine. It's not like you'll be staying there for a long time.

"So make the best of this test and don't ask why. It's not a question but a lesson learned in time."- Green Day
                                  "The harder you work, the luckier you get."- Billie Joe Armstrong
                                  "This is my rage. This is my love. This is my town. This is my city. This is my life."

Comment

I wouldn't worry about it, California is full of warnings for a variety of things, go into a bar and there will be warnings about alcohol, go to a gas station, cancer warnings, if you stay in a large hotel chances are there will be cancer warning signs as well because some toilet cleaner or something could cause cancer, recently warning's have been showing up at places were fried potatoes are served such as Mcdonalds, because when fried a natural chemical reaction occurs that could cause cancer.

My plates from Target, and glasses, and silverware, all had warnings that they could cause cancer.

California and warnings have gotten to a point where its just idiotic.

Comment

Originally posted by DisneyIPresume View Post
                                      Perhaps its best to be cautious. I heard somewhere that the ancient Roman acqueduts were lined with lead, and that it was massive lead poisoning that helped contribute to the fall of the Roman Empire.
                                      Supposedly, they also routinely drank out of lead goblets, so that their daily ingestion of lead was, indeed, very dangerous.

Any exposure in the Disney Empire should be infinitesimal in comparison.
                                      Last edited by disneyfann121; 08-24-2012, 01:13 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by jsmith11618 View Post
                                        California and warnings have gotten to a point where its just idiotic.
                                        Glad I got out when I did!

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                        Working...
                                        X