Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

MiceChat Rules

A list of MiceChat's rules can be found at the top of the Disneyland forum.
2 of 2 < >

Ad Blockers

Please do not use ad blocking software when visiting MiceChat. It costs money to keep MiceChat online, and ad revenue offsets this. Thank you.
See more
See less

In Memoriam: Neil Armstongs speech at Disneyland commemorating Space Mountain

Collapse

Ad Widget

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• In Memoriam: Neil Armstongs speech at Disneyland commemorating Space Mountain

As some of you know, Neil Armstrong passed away today. In his memory, I would like to share and interesting video I came across where he helped commemorate the Re-Launch of Space Mountain for Disneyland 50th Anniversary. What was neat to hear was his recollection of the Television show The World of Disney. How that show and the birth Disneyland help provide the inspiration and imagination for human space flight.

• darkamor
    replied
    Re: In Memoriam: Neil Armstongs speech at Disneyland commemorating Space Mountain

What an awesome tribute to Astronaut Neil Armstrong (& a reminder that there are times when the Disneyland Theme Park hosts some classic ceremonies) ...

Perhaps if (when) there is some major revamping in Tomorrowland, there could be some sort of tribute to Neil Armstrong added (I rather see this then another ride with an exit queue into a shop schilling out merchandise) ...

C J

Leave a comment:

• robbiem
    replied
    Re: In Memoriam: Neil Armstongs speech at Disneyland commemorating Space Mountain

Thank for posting. Moon landings and Disneyland my too favourite things.

I only hope I get to see a moon landing with my own eyes It will be sad to think that some day soon we could be living in a time where no one left alive has set foot on another world

Fair winds Commander Armstrong you are a true world hero an we live in a darker place without you

Leave a comment:

• Robert Cook
    replied

Originally posted by jcruise86 View Post
    I don't mean this to have a modicum of disrespect--Neil Armstrong is a great hero!
    Literally, too, as he saved two missions from disaster or potential disaster, including Apollo 11.

--but I've long felt for Buzz Aldrin & Michael Collins who landed on Apollo 11 craft with Neil Armstrong on July 20, 1969, but got less attention. I don't think Armstrong gets too much credit, but that Aldrin & Collins should receive more.
    If it's any consolation, Buzz has received plenty of media attention, nearly all of the photos taken of the astronauts during the first Moon landing and excursion were of him (including the famous "Man on the Moon" photo--Armstrong photographed Buzz plenty of times, but Buzz didn't take Armstrong's photo more than once or twice, I think), and obviously he has a Space Ranger for a namesake.

As for Collins, I feel for all of the astronauts who had to stay in the Command Module but did not get to land on the surface. Two of the pre-Apollo 11 astronauts eventually landed, but none of the CM pilots ever made it down before the Apollo program was canceled (several had been slated for an opportunity). I suppose it's like getting an Olympic silver medal--a great accomplishment to be sure, but, well, this pretty much says it all: mckayla is not impressed

And (again, Armstrong, Aldrin & Collins were all extraordinary), Armstrong said, "One small step for man, one giant leap for mankind," which is redundant without the "A" before "man." I know I'm an uptight English teacher, but what I really think is interesting about this is that we can go to the moon, and at one of the greatest moments in human history, reveal our imperfection.
    Well, I think that the way most Americans would recite the intended line is with a quick, subdued "a" that could very easily have been lost in the noise of or a gap in the radio transmission (we're fortunate that the whole line is fairly intelligible, given how awful the signal sounds). It is also possible that he had flubbed the line, that is true, but what I've never understood is the controversy among some over what he had intended to say, which should be obvious. I tend to think that Armstrong probably did recite it correctly because he doesn't recall flubbing at the time, but the truth will never be known with absolute certainty.

Originally posted by calsig31 View Post
    There has been much debate over the years as to whether or not the "a" was actually said, but was inaudible due to the quality of communication of the time.
    It wasn't the time as much as it was the quarter of a million miles of distance (that's 1000 times farther than the International Space Station) through radiation belts and things like that--no astronaut has been beyond near-Earth orbit since Apollo 17, so real-time voice communications haven't been as challenging since then. But yes, whatever the reasons, the sound quality was understandably terrible, quite possibly rendering the "a" inaudible. For those who are skeptical, try reading the line out loud a few times--naturally, with no special emphasis on the "a." I'm not sure about other English speakers, but I'm positive that most Americans, anyway, would barely enunciate the "a" at all, and would probably pronounce it like "uh" very briefly, almost merging it with "man"--under the circumstances, it is at least plausible that Armstrong's "a" was enunciated but lost in the transmission.

Personally, I'm more perturbed that the American flag that Neil and Buzz planted was blown to the ground when they lifted off. In subsequent missions, the flags were planted farther away, so they should be standing unless any of them have been hit by a meteorite (highly unlikely).
    Last edited by Robert Cook; 08-30-2012, 11:54 AM.

Leave a comment:

• CupcakeTerror
    replied

Such a great video... but a HUGE loss. Thanks for sharing.

Leave a comment:

• lctom1
    replied

Thanks for posting this video. It was great to see and a wonderful memory of a great man.

Originally posted by Kimickey View Post
    Here are a few images I shot during that ceremony - I was fortunate to have been able to do a short interview with Mr. Armstrong - only a few minutes that I will never forget...
    Also glad to see the photos. What a wonderful experience to be able to meet and talk with him!

Leave a comment:

• CAspace
    replied

Thanks for sharing this video.
    We lost a great American Hero this week. The world lost a great person.
    Rest In Peace Commander Armstrong. May his family be comforted in this time of loss.
    We are shedding tears with you.

Leave a comment:

• bayouguy
    replied

The Moon landing was a great day, and the Moon walk was tops. Neil Armstrong was an Earth hero. I'm too sad. But I'm feeling so lucky to be able to say I saw that moment. Thank you, Neil.
    Now, we need a female on the Moon.

Leave a comment:

• Steve DeGaetano
    replied

I don't mean this to have a modicum of disrespect--Neil Armstrong is a great hero!--but I've long felt for Buzz Aldrin & Michael Collins who landed on Apollo 11 craft with Neil Armstrong on July 20, 1969, but got less attention. I don't think Armstrong gets too much credit, but that Aldrin & Collins should receive more.

And (again, Armstrong, Aldrin & Collins were all extraordinary), Armstrong said, "One small step for man, one giant leap for mankind," which is redundant without the "A" before "man." I know I'm an uptight English teacher, but what I really think is interesting about this is that we can go to the moon, and at one of the greatest moments in human history, reveal our imperfection.
    Collins was in the CM. Never came close to landing on the moon.

And Armstrong said that he did say "a." He thought all future references should include the "a" within parentheses.

(and it wouldn't have been a capital "a", English teach... )

Leave a comment:

• Disneylandfan85
    replied

Neil Armstrong passed away? That's too bad.

Leave a comment:

• Spongeocto4
    replied

Rest in peace to Neil Armstrong.

Leave a comment:

• ALIASd
    replied

^Nice tribute but someone please correct the spelling, etc. above, thanks^

Leave a comment:

• Stormy
    replied

Blue Skies, Mr Armstrong. CAVU for eternity.

Leave a comment:

• Eagleman
    replied

Great ,video and pictures
    Thank You for shareing........

My heart ,is deeply sad......of hearing of Neil Armstrong ,passing.....
    I will never ever forget....that special day in July 1969
    That he took that first step on the moon,for ALL MANKIND!

The Armstrong Family ask......on next clear night you see the moon....
    give it a wink!

Neil ,Thank You and all the NASA Team Hero's...for a Great Adventure's
    that you all give us !
    Last edited by Eagleman; 08-26-2012, 11:35 AM.

Leave a comment:

• 4Apples4Disney
    replied

Good post, what a an iconic American.

Leave a comment:

Ad Widget

Collapse
Working...
X