This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Question] Looking for book on all the Disneyland Resort backstories

Just wondering if there is a book out there with all the backstories from the Disneyland Resort (Disneyland and New California Adventure)? If not, is there a website that has all the backstories?

Re: Looking for book on all the Disneyland Resort backstories

I was going to make this thread a few days ago after re-reading the Fiddler, Fifer, and Practical Cafe thread from a few months ago. I'm really hoping there really is a website that gives the scoop. If not, it'd be a great project for someone to start on.

Comment

So I have a horrible memory, but I have read like 3 or 4 books. All on the history of the DLR. There was one that had a history of every single attraction and food service since the park opened to the day it was written (2000s something i think)

I found the books by simply hopping on Amazon and searching Disneyland, also by accessing my local library's website and searching the catalog for all the libraries in the county.

Hope my tips help, sorry I can't give titles and authors, I can remember facts about the Land but not an author .... shows where my priorities are! haha
      sigpic

Comment

"The Disneyland Encyclopedia: The Unofficial, Unauthorized, and Unprecedented History of Every Land, Attraction, Restaurant, Shop and Event in the Original Magic Kingdom" -Chris Strodder

Doesn't have California Adventure, or anything beyond 2007, but it's an AMAZING book. It has the back story to everything that has ever been in the park, whether it's a cotton candy trolley, or Space Mountain, he covers it all.

I HIGHLY recommend it.

Happy reading!
        Fear of the unknown.

They are afraid of new ideas.

You know, to me, the most beautiful things in all the universe, are the most mysterious.

Comment

Originally posted by Chesire View Post
          "The Disneyland Encyclopedia: The Unofficial, Unauthorized, and Unprecedented History of Every Land, Attraction, Restaurant, Shop and Event in the Original Magic Kingdom" -Chris Strodder

Doesn't have California Adventure, or anything beyond 2007, but it's an AMAZING book. It has the back story to everything that has ever been in the park, whether it's a cotton candy trolley, or Space Mountain, he covers it all.

I HIGHLY recommend it.

Happy reading!
          That's the one I was talking about!!

Thanks Cheshire
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Chesire View Post

I HIGHLY recommend it.

Happy reading!
            A second edition was just released in June. I haven't bought it, but it has received excellent reviews on amazon. It has information post 2007, but looks like it is still solely about the Disneyland Park and not Disney California Adventure. Don't quote me on that, but no where on the page does it mention that it includes history about DCA.

Anyways, you get the history from every book, attraction, show, or notable person in the history of Disneyland in the format of an Encylopedia, alphabetically entries. This makes it a little difficult to read through like a typical book, but that didn't deter this Disney fan! I loved reading through a few entries each time I picked up the book and going through in order, though jumping around from time era to time era and land to land could be a little confusing.

Also, you will not get the depth that other books will offer you. For example, you will find much more information on HM via Jason Surrell's book The Haunted Mansion: From the Magic Kingdom to the Movies that you will not find in Strodder's encyclopedia. No detailed backstories on the development of the ride's story, no concept art, no many vibrant and colorful pictures showcasing the attractions. But if you're looking for ONE book that gives you the information on all the attractions/shows/restaraunts/shops/famous Imagineers from the Disneyland Resort, this book is what you're looking for.

Comment

Thanks. That looks like a good start.

Comment

Good thread. Thanks,
                Stockholder and Walt Disney Autograph holder!!

Comment

If you are interested in pictures of the past, try Yesterland. Lots of stories and pics. Also Daveland is a font of information, too.
                  sigpic
                  Hidden Mickey - Historical fiction about Walt that mixes action and mystery with time travel and fantasy! Tweens to adults will enjoy these novels. And now, three gamebooks to play in Disneyland, DCA and WDW Magic Kingdom!

Check out my six action/adventure novels about Walt's lost diary and his epic quest. Visit my blog page!

Sometimes Dead Men DO Tell Tales!

Comment

The encyclopedia is a great resource. That being said, the two best Disneyland books are "The Nickel Tour" and "Disneyland: The Inside Story." You are likely only going to find the latter at a reasonable price but they are both amazing books. A bit outdated but great history up to the point they were written.

Comment

I have always liked Mouse Tales: Amazon.com: Mouse Tales: A Behind-the-Ears Look at Disneyland: Golden Anniversary Special Edition (Hardcover Book with Audio CD) (9780964060548): David Koenig, Art Linkletter: Books

Comment

Originally posted by HiddenMickeyBook View Post
                        If you are interested in pictures of the past, try Yesterland. Lots of stories and pics. Also Daveland is a font of information, too.
                        Thanks for the plug! The direct link to my site (which has both DL & DCA as well as some WDW) is: Daveland Vintage and Current Disneyland Photos
                        See vintage & current Disneyland photos, 24/7
                        http://davelandweb.com/disneyland
                        http://davelandblog.blogspot.com

Comment

I love reading all the yesterland articles. What got me thinking of the question in this thread though was the short video on the windows of california adventure and the person mentioned the backstory for the shops and how the window tied into it.

Comment

Sucho, are you looking for "backstories" (which are the often-fanciful stories created by Imagineers to give some sort of ersatz history to an attraction), or are you looking for the actual history of an attraction's concept and construction?

If you want pure history, the books mentioned are all good.

Comment

There's a cool book called Windows on Main Street...

Amazon.com: Windows on Main Street: Discover the Real Stories of the Talented People Featured on the Windows of Main Street, U.S.A. (9781423106715): Chuck Snyder: Books

Yes it just covers windows but it gives a cool history on each window, who is on it when they achieved their window and so forth. It's just a cool bit of history that many guest pass by not realizing the significance of the people on the windows
                              sigpic

Keeper of the Dynamite Goat on RCMC

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X