Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

So what's your opinion of CMs with sunglasses?

Collapse

Get Away Today

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Chat] So what's your opinion of CMs with sunglasses?

Hey guys. So I'm off on a trip to Disneyland soon and I was thinking back remembering my last trip. One thing that really got me going was the cast members wearing sunglasses with their uniform. Now, I completely understand the several reasons behind this. But as somewhat of a hybrid Disney purist, I find that it makes me mad to see Big Thunder CMs in full uniform...with Oakleys on. Futuristic looking Oakleys. Ughhhh.

This is just my two cents: If they are going to let them wear sunglasses, in my opinion, they should have to be as suited for the area as possible, in my opinion. Like those Oakleys would be fine in Tomorrowland. And maybe Aviators in Frontierland? I don't know. Or maybe just none at all unless you have a doctor's note. That would be ideal. I don't think Walt would have been okay with this!

So I want to ask your opinion on this. Do you think these sunglasses are okay and I'm just being ridiculous, or do you see where I'm coming from with this? And also, what would Walt do? Would he allow this? Did he allow this, if you know?
    It's easy enough to be pleasant
    when life hums along like a song.
    But the man worth while
    is the man who can smile
    when everything goes dead wrong.

Re: So what's your opinion of CMs with sunglasses?

Walt frowned on sunglasses. He insisted on all his employees annually staring into the sun for 10 minutes, to test their mettle. Whoever won would get a peanut and a pat on the back, and in those days, that MEANT something.

You're being a tad silly, but upon reflection, not inordinately so. If theming really meant anything to the company anymore (and it doesn't, we know this), then costuming COULD supply period-era sunglasses for CMs in the various lands.

Only questionable one would be Fantasyland, really. Since it's not based in reality, it could be like Tomorrowland, where modern styles could be worn. Or they could go retro 50s and provide styles from that period (I'm thinking Wayfarers and cat eye sunglasses).
    Last edited by Retrocool; 08-25-2012, 10:10 PM.

Comment

Really?

I think your being ridiculous.

They already have to stand for 8+ hours a day, deal with rude and obnoxious guests, and answer the same questions over and over. All the while earning minimum wage and with a smile on their face. They should be allowed to wear what ever pair of sunglasses they want to protect their eyes, as long as they are not distracting or interfere with their job.
      Last edited by Ryan120420; 08-25-2012, 10:26 PM.
      For Disney Theme Park Video Click Here!

Comment

Originally posted by RatherBeAtDLand View Post
        So I want to ask your opinion on this. Do you think these sunglasses are okay and I'm just being ridiculous, or do you see where I'm coming from with this?
        Sunglasses are 100% perfectly okay in my book. The safety and comfort of the CMs are a top priority.

And also, what would Walt do?
        Who cares? Now don't get me wrong, you won't find a bigger Walt fan than myself. He was an absolutely brilliant human being and I respect him very much. But you can't make decisions based on what "Walt would have done." He has been dead for over 40 years. Nobody has any idea what he would have done. Therefore, all decisions must be made with the CMs comfort and safety as a priority.

Personally, I think you're over-thinking this way too much.

Comment

Originally posted by Retrocool View Post
          If theming really meant anything to the company anymore (and it doesn't, we know this),
          and with that I'm done reading your post..

Comment

I realize that it may break theme, however it gets really bright standing out there all day, and UV protection for the eyes is very important. Modern prosthetics break theme as well, but if there was a cast member who was an amputee, I wouldn't expect him to walk around with a peg leg just because he works on Pirates. Some things like safety protection and medical equipment should be left as an exception.

Originally posted by disneylandfan95 View Post
            Nobody has any idea what he would have done.
            Especially the people currently running the company, that's the sad part.
            "Greetings, Starfighter! You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Xur and the Ko-Dan Armada."

Comment

If we're going to talk about period appropriate, then wouldn't that mean only Tomorrowland would get any kind of protective eye-wear? As long as the sunglasses aren't bedazzling with rhinestones, I'm okay. I do think that they distance the CM to the guest, so they should perhaps consider removing them if having an extended conversation with a guest.

Comment

I don't mine seeing CM with sunglasses like others have said it's to protect there eyes. I know they can't cause there in character but I wish sometimes the likes like Cinderella,Aladdin,Mary Poppins and other face characters can wear them to but like I said I know why they can't. If you seen some of my pics with the characters I wear my sunglass when I take pictures with them it get to hot and bright if not having them on.

Like So...

This was just taken on the 23rd of this month.

Comment

I dislike seeings CMs in Sunglasses.

If you ever take a class on how to talk to kids, not wearing sunglasses will come up. CMs are supposed to talk to kids. They block out the needed eye contact.

It makes them impersonal too blocking how they look and act.

Few CMs are standing in the sun all day so why do they need sunglasses? So many have positions that include hats in the costumes.

Here is a video with pictures of the first group to popularise travel on Route 66. Outside almost all day and not a pair of sunglasses when some were in horrible conditions for eyes. Though they almost all shaded thier eyes with hats. Dust Bowl Refugee-- Woody Guthrie - YouTube

The first CMs that could wear sunglasses are very unique and no longer work in conditions that exist today. The parking crew. Of course at the time the trams were open to the air without a canopy. They didn't stand under unbrellas or have other shade loading the trams. They didn't work in the cool shade of a giant concrete building either.
                  Be Cool Stay in School!
                  Next year I'm trying for a summer internship at Stark Industries.

Comment

Originally posted by swampymarsh View Post
                    I dislike seeings CMs in Sunglasses.

If you ever take a class on how to talk to kids, not wearing sunglasses will come up. CMs are supposed to talk to kids. They block out the needed eye contact.

It makes them impersonal too blocking how they look and act.

Few CMs are standing in the sun all day so why do they need sunglasses? So many have positions that include hats in the costumes.

Here is a video with pictures of the first group to popularise travel on Route 66. Outside almost all day and not a pair of sunglasses when some were in horrible conditions for eyes. Though they almost all shaded thier eyes with hats. Dust Bowl Refugee-- Woody Guthrie - YouTube

The first CMs that could wear sunglasses are very unique and no longer work in conditions that exist today. The parking crew. Of course at the time the trams were open to the air without a canopy. They didn't stand under unbrellas or have other shade loading the trams. They didn't work in the cool shade of a giant concrete building either.

Anyone working outside should be allowed to wear sunglasses, just because you might have a hat on, or under shade doesn't mean your not being exposed to UV light.

I wear a hat when I go to the Zoo, or Disneyland, however its just one part of sun protection, the others being eye protection and sunblock.

I worked outside one summer, was under a tent, and I still ended up with a sun burn because I figured tent = no need for sun block, and I paid the price for a week with the pain.

Comment

Woah, guys, stop hatin' on the OP and saying that this thread is ridiculous. I think the OP understands that sunglasses are important to block out the UV rays, but brought a good point: why can't sunglasses be themed for particular lands? Modern day shades conflict with the theming of many lands. There's no denying that they're distracting in some scenarios and break the believability of the CM's costume. In my opinion, would be neat to see different sunglasses themed for different areas of the park. Safety with style.
                      Last edited by gatheringrosebuds; 08-25-2012, 11:59 PM.

Comment

Well wouldn't most regular glasses also be considered "out of theme"? To me, this is one of those minuscule things that I've never even thought about before. Sunglasses are very important for eye health outdoors, especially wearers of contact lenses, and is something I don't mind at all being "out of theme" because it's so essential to proper eye maintenance and health. And I truly ask, what makes sunglasses that different from glasses...I mean if the theme argument can be placed on sunglasses then why not regular ones as well...I mean those black framed square glasses many CM's are pictured in from the 50's and 60's were SO in theme haha (sarcasm). The comparison of sunglasses use for CM's in the 50's/60's and now is faulty at best. Eye health knowledge and awareness has greatly increased since then and people are much more cautious with exposure to UV rays and sunlight. Sunglass use, like other aspects of health (smoking for example), has gained much knowledge and awareness with time and habits have changed. My optometrist always advises me to wear sunglasses when outdoors and I'm sure CM's get the same message and should be allowed to protect their eyes and health.

Comment

People are only using the word "ridiculous" because the OP's actual question was:

Do you think these sunglasses are okay and I'm just being ridiculous, or do you see where I'm coming from with this?
                          Would it be nice if Disney offered themed eyewear? Sure. But the expense of that, to say nothing of the customizations that would be required, particularly for those who require corrective lenses as well, is prohibitive.

It's a fair point that modern glasses in Frontier Land (for example) are anachronistic. But the suggestion that CMs should be required to submit a doctor's note to get permission to wear sunglasses is (to use the OP's word) ridiculous. It's akin to prohibiting sunscreen or supportive shoes.

Walt wouldn't have allowed them once upon a time ago, because they didn't know then what we know now about the harmful effects of UV rays on the skin and eyes. Those CMs aren't paid enough to risk their health for the sake of our immersive experience.

They also didn't sell Vitamin Water in the old west; nor are churros and Mickey Mouse shaped ice cream sandwiches likely to be hawked from carts in a space port in the future (the list goes on and on). Disneyland's full of details that require us to suspend our disbelief...some of which are pure comfort (like food), but many have to do with our safety, or that of the people who make our experience in the park possible & joyful.

Comment

Unless the sunglasses are so glaringly obvious, which is rarely the case, it's fine. Like SoCalFan said, they do need to protect their eyes.
                            - Walt Disney

Comment

I don't think it's a ridiculous topic either to be honest. In fact, I've found myself wondering why CMs are being allowed to wear sunglasses, not only in shady places, but even after the sun has pretty much gone down too.
                              When I worked at the park it was a no-no. If it was shady, you were to take them off. If it was dusk or beyond, you definitely were expect to lose 'em.
                              Actually, they really didn't even like you wearing them, during the day, in places that really were sunny, and much more comfortable to wear them.
                              Regarding policy, they felt that sunglasses served as a barrier between you and the guest in much the same way folding your arms did. They also served as a barrier between CMs. Sometimes eye contact was necessary between us as well. As odd as that might sound.
                              They did allow them if we felt we needed them, but they were to come off in the shade and at dusk.
                              I worked mostly Tomorrowland and Fantasyland attractions and usually wore the Wayfarers. But only when I had to.

Comment

If Disney were to PROVIDE optional sunglasses at no cost to employees
                                that better fit a theme
                                for CMs who had perfect vision or who wore contacts,
                                then I might think that theme-appropriate sunglasses could be worth considering.

Comment

Just let em wear em! They are necessary when protecting yourself from the sun!
                                  Jack Sparrow - "You have been monstrously deceived." Pirate - We are decepted then..." Jack Sparrow - "Yes"

Comment

Let them wear the sunglasses. It's horrible to work for minimum wage.
                                    Not to mention half the costumes are horrible; you don't see anyone commenting on how non-period the hideous shoe requirements are. Disneyland and DCA has huge staff continuity issues in regards to each 'land.' CM's are all over the place. Sometimes Frontierland folks are working the lines at the parade (not in frontierland). I feel like Magic Kingdom in WDW does such a better job of keeping the continuity.

Comment

I'm 50/50 on this. Here is my solution to both sides. I think CM should be allowed to wear sunglasses but like hair styles have guidelines, I think sunglasses should too. No visible logos or brand names for one. And have theme appropriate styles as best as possible based on your land. Like on main street, they could be round lenses with wired frames. Putting a little effort into this can make it work for both sides. I just don't like the idea of cast members damaging there eyes while selling balloons in the middle of main street for hours. They're people, not props. If clothes can be themed accordingly, so can sunglasses. Its not rocket science. Everyone wins.
                                      Last edited by orbitalpunk; 08-26-2012, 08:36 AM. Reason: I've fallen and I can't get up.

Micenation

Comment

Just theme the sunglasses.

Click the banner! ^^^^
                                        Follow us on Twitter
                                        @mickeymutineers and on Facebook
                                        Mickey Mutineer Podcast now available in the blog and on iTunes!

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                        Working...
                                        X