This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Question] Planes flying by

I was at disneyland today and while waiting for World of Color me and my friends counted at least 8 different single engines planes fly by in a one hour time period. Did anybody see that today?

Re: Plames flying by

yup many people are reporting aircraft flying at low altitudes above the park. they're probably filming for a commercial or promo

Comment

Military jets were scouting locations in preparation for the space shuttle's arrival on September 20th. A Disneyland flyover is anticipated, as well as some other key hotspots in the LA area.

Jets flying over L.A., preparing for space shuttle Endeavour - latimes.com

Comment

Originally posted by milo View Post
        Military jets were scouting locations in preparation for the space shuttle's arrival on September 20th. A Disneyland flyover is anticipated, as well as some other key hotspots in the LA area.

Jets flying over L.A., preparing for space shuttle Endeavour - latimes.com
        military jets are not single engine aircraft and these planes have been flying around for several hours now so my guess would be that these planes are filming for Disney. the article also states that "...urged residents not to be concerned if they spot two jets flying at a relatively low altitude, about 1,500 feet..." and @WoC 95 spotted 8 different single engine aircraft so...

Comment

Yeah, these were definitely not military. More like the kind you see flying banners across the sky when you're at the beach.

(side note: can't wait to see the shuttle)
          Check out the MICECHAT Duffy Forum
          :love:Bringing the Love since January 10, 2011:love:

Comment

It wasn't planes plural, it was a plane, singular.

It was one plane that flew over Disneyland and DCA from late afternoon through the second World of Color, taking pictures and video from the air of the newly expanded Resort. This was part of the ongoing filming this week by Disney's marketing department capturing pictures and video of the entire Resort circa 2012. Tonight was more of the same, except from the air instead of the ground.

It was just one plane, going around and around above the Resort for several hours.

Comment

Is Disneyland no longer a no-fly zone? If it still is then it must be military planes.

Comment

A military jet did fly over on Saturday. Man was it loud!
                sigpic

This has been a Filmways presentation dahling.

Comment

Originally posted by SoCal Wifey View Post
                  Is Disneyland no longer a no-fly zone? If it still is then it must be military planes.
                  they lifted the No Fly Zone 2 years ago. they have to keep a certain altitude and Disney could file requests to fly at a low altitude for their commercial purposes

Comment

Originally posted by DonaldMissingPants View Post
                    they lifted the No Fly Zone 2 years ago. they have to keep a certain altitude and Disney could file requests to fly at a low altitude for their commercial purposes
                    I know somebody who works ATC at SNA and anyone could file a request to fly at a low altitude over DL (the range extends out to Angel Stadium and the Honda Center as well). This height ceiling is generally under 3000 feet.

However, due to traffic conditions, ATC may at times ask planes to fly under the height ceiling. For example if there are lots of planes flying in the area or planes on approach to Fullerton. But if not requested by ATC, if any plane (except for emergency or military craft) is under this altitude, including Disney planes, then the pilot would be required to file a request to fly within this area.

Comment

There was never a No Fly Zone over Disneyland. It is currently and has always been a Temporary Flight Restriction (TFR). It is still in effect as per the FAA until further notice. 9/5145 NOTAM Details The restricted flight space is a cylinder 3 miles in radius, centered on Disneyland extending 3,000 feet up. If a plane is over 3,000ft, it can fly over Disneyland. Otherwise it must request permission from the FAA, be an emergency vehicle, or be directed through by the local Air Traffic Control (SNA or Los Angeles Center) for safety reasons due to high traffic volume.

This TFR was made essentially permanent in 2003 in the omnibus spending bill passed by Congress.

The same rules apply to the Florida parks. 9/4985 NOTAM Details

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, As I foretold you, were all spirits and Are melted into air, into thin air: And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, The cloud-capp'd towers, the gorgeous palaces, The solemn temples, the great globe itself, Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff As dreams are made on, and our little life Is rounded with a sleep. mycroft16 on Twitter

Comment

Originally posted by SoCal Wifey View Post
                        Originally posted by mycroft16 View Post
                        There was never a No Fly Zone over Disneyland. It is currently and has always been a Temporary Flight Restriction (TFR). It is still in effect as per the FAA until further notice. 9/5145 NOTAM Details The restricted flight space is a cylinder 3 miles in radius, centered on Disneyland extending 3,000 feet up. If a plane is over 3,000ft, it can fly over Disneyland. Otherwise it must request permission from the FAA, be an emergency vehicle, or be directed through by the local Air Traffic Control (SNA or Los Angeles Center) for safety reasons due to high traffic volume.

This TFR was made essentially permanent in 2003 in the omnibus spending bill passed by Congress.

THIS! Every time I read about the "no fly zone", I just shake my head.

Flying over at a lower altitude is fairly easy.
                        Pilot - "Control - Cessna 12 alpha beta requests permission to descend to 2500."
                        ATC - "Cessna 12 alpha beta descend and maintain 2500"...
                        BTDT...
                        If you see a cute yellow lab puppy with a yellow cape, WAVE! It might be us! (Or it may be someone else that lurks here!) Thank you for asking before you pet! Next trip, Dec 22-Jan 3rd.

Comment

Re: Planes flying by

I've seen many, many planes fly over DL at all different altitudes. I don't believe there is any kind of limitations aside from those that called out above.

Comment

Re: Planes flying by

Earlier this year while standing in the Disneyland entrance line, this Osprey flew over at low altitude!

Comment

Originally posted by Malcon10t View Post
                              THIS! Every time I read about the "no fly zone", I just shake my head.

Flying over at a lower altitude is fairly easy.
                              Pilot - "Control - Cessna 12 alpha beta requests permission to descend to 2500."
                              ATC - "Cessna 12 alpha beta descend and maintain 2500"...
                              BTDT...
                              I see others have told me that they made DL a No Fly zone after 9/11..
                              as stated above there is a TFR and so the the ATC controller could also say:
                              Pilot: Delta 236 Heavy requesting 2500 feet
                              ATC: Delta 236 Heavy request denied. Maintain 30,000 feet

Comment

deleted

Comment

I see others have told me that they made DL a No Fly zone after 9/11..
                                  as stated above there is a TFR and so the the ATC controller could also say:
                                  Pilot: Delta 236 Heavy requesting 2500 feet
                                  ATC: Delta 236 Heavy request denied. Maintain 30,000 feet
                                  Let's clarify a "No Fly Zone." You may not fly over at any altitude. You can fly over Disneyland, at an altitude of 3000'. That isn't very high. You see commercial jets flying over every day, above 3000'. You see private planes flying over around fireworks time, above 3000'.

And I have no clue why a heavy would want to descend to 3000'. It would kill them on fuel.
                                  If you see a cute yellow lab puppy with a yellow cape, WAVE! It might be us! (Or it may be someone else that lurks here!) Thank you for asking before you pet! Next trip, Dec 22-Jan 3rd.

Comment

Originally posted by mycroft16 View Post

HEY! Great to see you back!

Comment

Originally posted by Malcon10t View Post
                                      Let's clarify a "No Fly Zone." You may not fly over at any altitude. You can fly over Disneyland, at an altitude of 3000'. That isn't very high. You see commercial jets flying over every day, above 3000'. You see private planes flying over around fireworks time, above 3000'.

And I have no clue why a heavy would want to descend to 3000'. It would kill them on fuel.
                                      to clarify i said TFR not No Fly Zone and I was just using an example, no heavy would descend to that altitude

Comment

to clarify i said TFR not No Fly Zone and I was just using an example, no heavy would descend to that altitude
                                        Depending on the weather and the airport traffic pattern, it is possible that a heavy would be directed to something close to that altitude. Sort of a "descend and maintain FL30 until established on final" type thing. Rare, yes... but could happen. Probably not through the DLR TFR though as SNA doesn't get many heavies.

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, As I foretold you, were all spirits and Are melted into air, into thin air: And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, The cloud-capp'd towers, the gorgeous palaces, The solemn temples, the great globe itself, Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff As dreams are made on, and our little life Is rounded with a sleep. mycroft16 on Twitter

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                        Working...
                                        X