Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Favorite DLR Memory?

Collapse

Get Away Today

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • [Fun] Favorite DLR Memory?

    I'm new to this forum, and I'm sure this has been asked a thousand times... but I'm going to do it anyway

    What is you're favorite Disneyland Resort memory?

    I've been to DLR 3 times over the last 20 years. It's been 9 years since my last visit.

    My wife and son have NEVER been to a Disney park, and we are going at the end of September. I am super stoked for them! I think the most fun I will have will be watching them experience a Disney park for the first time ever!!!

    Anyway, my favorite DLR Memory is a very short one. On my first trip, when I was 8, I caught the opening of Fantasmic! I was in complete awe. Unfortunately, my Mom didn't want to stick around for it and we left after the first 5 minutes.

    I've tried to catch the show on my return trips, but fate always seemed to have other plans.

    Even though it was a short memory, it is still my favorite. The lights going out, the music starting up, Mickey appearing, the water and the lights!!! And then my Mom ruining it all! HAHA!

  • #2
    Re: Favorite DLR Memory?

    First and foremost, welcome to the forum! I'm pretty new here too, I just joined earlier this month. It's great to socialize with so many people that share the same love for Disney that I do.

    I've made lots of special memories at the Disneyland Resort with my family and several close friends, but my favorite memory was in the winter of 2010. My dad and I took a trip by ourselves to the Disneyland Park. I don't know why my mom and little sister didn't come with us, they had some sort of previous obligation, but it was the first time I had been to the park with just my dad.

    My dad is the member of my family that really understands my passion for the Disneyland Park. My mom and my sister tolerate it. But my dad is the one that joins me in conversations about the park, counting down until our next visit, telling me stories about the trips he took when he was little and how the park has changed, sharing ideas of how the park could be improved as well as the things that we love about the park.

    We had a fantastic day at Disneyland arriving at opening, riding in the front of Space Mountain with no one else in the car (and taking the goofiest on-ride photo), and just taking our time and enjoying the atmosphere of Disneyland rather than rushing from attraction to attraction.

    The best part of the day was towards the afternoon. We got Mickey Premium Ice Cream Bars and ate on a bench in the Hub overlooking the castle. Since it was the holiday season, the castle was decorated in its winter decor, so we sat admiring its snow covered turrets and icicles glittering in the sunlight.

    Then we took a horse drawn carriage down Main Street U.S.A. Another example of pure, indescribable Disney magic. Every inch of Main Street decorated in holly and garland, the giant tree always in sight with its ornaments glittering in the sun, the clip-clop of the horse's hoofs against the pavement, the jingling of the bells on the horse, the jolly tinkling of Christmas music in the background, and the beautiful harmonization of the Dapper Dans as we passed them while they were performing a set of Christmas songs.

    It was simply magical. This will always be one of my most cherished memories at the Disneyland Park.

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: Favorite DLR Memory?

      Thanks for the welcome and thanks for sharing! This board is helping me to pass the time until our next trip quite nicely!

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: Favorite DLR Memory?

        My favorite DL memory is seeing the Matterhorn for the first time, while we were still driving on I-5 on our way to the motel. I couldn't believe I was finally there.

        I grew up in Northern California the late 1950's and early 1960's, and I always wanted to go to DL. The first TV shows I remember watching were the Mickey Mouse Club, the original Disneyland show, and the later version called the Wonderful World of Color. From watching TV, Disneyland icons such as the entrance, Sleeping Beauty's Castle, the Monorail, and the Matterhorn were as familiar to me as any national monument.

        I never could convince my parents to take us there on a vacation. They had both grown up on farms in the Midwest, and to them the idea of driving to Southern California for a theme-park vacation seemed like a silly, frivolous expense.

        But I hit the jackpot in the summer of 1967, when some members of our extended family wanted to take their own kids to DL for their first visit. They invited me to go with them, and my parents said it was okay. I was really excited about going: POTC had just opened, as had the new Tomorrowland '67.

        I had no idea the park was so close to the freeway, and I was surprised when I looked up and saw the top of the Matterhorn from I-5. After all those childhood years of hoping, my wish was finally coming true.

        It might sound funny that my favorite memory was something I experienced from outside the berm, but I'll never forget my first glimpse of Disneyland.

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: Favorite DLR Memory?

          So many, I can't narrow it down to one favorite.

          But I'm remembering a trip I took alone with just my daughter for a couple of days. We spent the whole little trip just the two of us, living, breathing, and eating Disneyland. We danced to the music from a band on Main Street. I have different connections with all of my children, but it's really special to share my love of Disneyland with them.
          http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...oto-heavy.html
          http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ip-report.html
          http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...oto-heavy.html
          http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...oto-heavy.html
          http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...something.html

          No matter where you go, there you are.

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: Favorite DLR Memory?

            As always, it was our first trip with our 4 month old daughter. It was a great day. We didn't get on but 2 or 3 rides, but that was not as important as being with our daughter.
            Welcome to the Chat.
            I am old. But still love Disneyland.

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: Favorite DLR Memory?

              Originally posted by Tomorrowland67 View Post
              My favorite DL memory is seeing the Matterhorn for the first time, while we were still driving on I-5 on our way to the motel. I couldn't believe I was finally there.

              I grew up in Northern California the late 1950's and early 1960's, and I always wanted to go to DL. The first TV shows I remember watching were the Mickey Mouse Club, the original Disneyland show, and the later version called the Wonderful World of Color. From watching TV, Disneyland icons such as the entrance, Sleeping Beauty's Castle, the Monorail, and the Matterhorn were as familiar to me as any national monument.

              I never could convince my parents to take us there on a vacation. They had both grown up on farms in the Midwest, and to them the idea of driving to Southern California for a theme-park vacation seemed like a silly, frivolous expense.

              But I hit the jackpot in the summer of 1967, when some members of our extended family wanted to take their own kids to DL for their first visit. They invited me to go with them, and my parents said it was okay. I was really excited about going: POTC had just opened, as had the new Tomorrowland '67.

              I had no idea the park was so close to the freeway, and I was surprised when I looked up and saw the top of the Matterhorn from I-5. After all those childhood years of hoping, my wish was finally coming true.

              It might sound funny that my favorite memory was something I experienced from outside the berm, but I'll never forget my first glimpse of Disneyland.
              Thanks for sharing! I can relate to the feeling you get when seeing the Matterhorn from I-5!

              Our first trip, my Mom had shown us the top of Matterhorn from the freeway as we drove by. My sister and I got really excited because of the stories we heard about that ride. Every return trip since, I look for the Matterhorn. To me it officially begins the adventure.

              On our second trip, my sister and I were at the opening of the park one morning and made a mad dash straight for Matterhorn. There as absolutely no wait time. We just kept riding it over and over again. I think we rode it 8-10 times before there was a line long enough to warrant no further rides.

              To this day, whenever I say "Remain seated please - Permanecer sentados por favor", we both start laughing and go way back to that time.

              Good times.


              ---------- Post added 08-26-2012 at 10:35 PM ----------

              Originally posted by sbk1234 View Post
              So many, I can't narrow it down to one favorite.

              But I'm remembering a trip I took alone with just my daughter for a couple of days. We spent the whole little trip just the two of us, living, breathing, and eating Disneyland. We danced to the music from a band on Main Street. I have different connections with all of my children, but it's really special to share my love of Disneyland with them.
              I truly believe that stories like yours are the reason Disney Parks remain #1. The fact that children and their parents can both get lost into Disney's world of magic and imagination to me is purely magical.

              Thrills are cheap. Imagination is forever

              ---------- Post added 08-26-2012 at 10:41 PM ----------

              Originally posted by bayouguy View Post
              As always, it was our first trip with our 4 month old daughter. It was a great day. We didn't get on but 2 or 3 rides, but that was not as important as being with our daughter.
              Welcome to the Chat.
              Thanks bayouguy! This forum has been awesome. It's nice to find a place where I can open up about my appreciation for Disney!
              Last edited by pushforth; 08-26-2012, 07:36 PM.

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: Favorite DLR Memory?

                By the way, Pushforth, awesome avatar!
                http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...oto-heavy.html
                http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ip-report.html
                http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...oto-heavy.html
                http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...oto-heavy.html
                http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...something.html

                No matter where you go, there you are.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: Favorite DLR Memory?

                  Originally posted by sbk1234 View Post
                  By the way, Pushforth, awesome avatar!
                  Thanks!! :thumbup:

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: Favorite DLR Memory?

                    sitting down with a churro and my wife and I telling our 3yo daughter she was going to be a big sister. we have a picture of her reaction, dancing around on main street, which is priceless.
                    spunky likes to suck that 3rd nipple(why am I your sig line........freak)! - Posted by my good friend Samsma

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: Favorite DLR Memory?

                      Originally posted by spunkymonkey View Post
                      sitting down with a churro and my wife and I telling our 3yo daughter she was going to be a big sister. we have a picture of her reaction, dancing around on main street, which is priceless.
                      Awwww! That's precious! ♥

                      Reading all of these memories is making me feel all warm and fuzzy and magical.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: Favorite DLR Memory?

                        Would it be too corney to say my favorite memory is the one that hasn't happened yet, of walking down Main Street, hand-in-hand with my future grand children?
                        http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...oto-heavy.html
                        http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ip-report.html
                        http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...oto-heavy.html
                        http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...oto-heavy.html
                        http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...something.html

                        No matter where you go, there you are.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: Favorite DLR Memory?

                          Originally posted by sbk1234 View Post
                          Would it be too corney to say my favorite memory is the one that hasn't happened yet, of walking down Main Street, hand-in-hand with my future grand children?
                          I don't think that's corny! My Mom is getting to do that our next trip! She's really excited bout that.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Re: Favorite DLR Memory?

                            The first Disneyland parade, first ride on Splash Mountain, and the 50th fireworks opening!!


                            "We believed in our idea - a family park where parents and children could have fun- together."

                            -Walt Disney

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Re: Favorite DLR Memory?

                              The one that comes to mind right now, for me, is a morning I spent a few months ago with my son. We did rope drop, he took photographs with me on main street, then we played a game of checkers in the market house over a cup of coffee/hot chocolate. It was...sublime.


                              For some some great trip reports, features and reviews, please check out http://www.thedisneylandreport.com.

                              Comment


                              • #16
                                Re: Favorite DLR Memory?

                                My favorite memory actually happened just last night. I was waiting for the people at Goofy's Kitchen to process my photos, and since nobody was coming into the restaurant Goofy was really just standing in the lobby all lonely until I showed up. They kept messing up my photos over and over again, so me and Goofy socialized for about 30 minutes while they tried to sort out my photos. The actor never broke character and really made me believe that I was actually hanging out with Goofy. It was so great, and I felt so bad when they finally sorted out my pictures and I had to leave Goofy to make it to the fireworks. I really didn't want to go! Two thumbs up to the actor playing Goofy last night! Great character interactions are always the best part of Disneyland!

                                Comment


                                • #17
                                  Re: Favorite DLR Memory?

                                  Originally posted by Quarar44 View Post
                                  My favorite memory actually happened just last night. I was waiting for the people at Goofy's Kitchen to process my photos, and since nobody was coming into the restaurant Goofy was really just standing in the lobby all lonely until I showed up. They kept messing up my photos over and over again, so me and Goofy socialized for about 30 minutes while they tried to sort out my photos. The actor never broke character and really made me believe that I was actually hanging out with Goofy. It was so great, and I felt so bad when they finally sorted out my pictures and I had to leave Goofy to make it to the fireworks. I really didn't want to go! Two thumbs up to the actor playing Goofy last night! Great character interactions are always the best part of Disneyland!
                                  Oh that's awesome! Makes me want to see the photo! Willing to share?

                                  Comment


                                  • #18
                                    Re: Favorite DLR Memory?

                                    Mine actually just happened last week but it's one I'll never forget. I was at the park from about 1 pm to closing and around 11:40 my friends and I decided to do Indiana Jones. Of course the line was only 15 minutes (wahoo!) but all the sudden the lights went on, which I knew meant it had broken down. It was down for about five minutes and everyone behind us had left but I had convinced my friends to stay and as soon as the lights were back to dim we realised we were the last in the line (the cast members up front closed off the line and were behind us.

                                    So our journey through the queue continued. We waited a few good minutes so we could run through the empty line playing Temple Run (if you ever get the opportunity it's pretty funny) and soon we were up in the front when we took the left side of the line. That side was going through quickly though so when we went up I politely asked if we could be the last to ride (our intentions as soon as we found out the line had been closed off). So after about three minutes of loading we were placed in a jeep with about five other cast members. It turns out the cast members have to ride Indy to check how the show effects are working properly. So there we were, the only people left in Indiana Jones, riding through with the workers. My group tends to bring a baby doll when we go as a gag so we had it driving us around, a good setup for plenty of jokes. By the end of the ride we were back in the loading area and the lights were all on and we were able to see the front of the ride's hidden secrets. It was then we left slowly appreciating how deserted the ride was.

                                    So yeah, this is probably my favorite to date, though it probably wasn't THAT special. I just know I always have a good time with the group of friends I go with and we try to make all our trips super magical (from seeing the old Skyway station to reading newspapers on Space Mountain). This memory just so happens to be my favorite.

                                    Comment


                                    • #19
                                      Re: Favorite DLR Memory?

                                      Honestly, every trip and every moment spent at the park is my favorite, but the most recent thing I can think of specifically is when I went 2 years ago and got to ride splash mountain (my absolute favorite ride) for the first time in about 10 years since it had been closed for some reason every time in between.........I was just overwhelmed with happiness! I think it was like the 2nd or 3rd ride we did after arriving at disneyland. I'll never forget that feeling I had, and couldn't help dancing and singing along with it

                                      Comment

                                      Get Away Today Footer

                                      Collapse
                                      Working...
                                      X