From what I understand, Disney can't build Marvel rides till 2050 at the theme parks.

Collapse

Get Away Today

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • AB Born
    Orange County
    • Jan 2005

Re: From what I understand, Disney can't build Marvel rides till 2050 at the theme pa

Originally posted by DARTH MAUL View Post
    I wish it were true, although 2050 still isn't far away enough. They do not belong in a Disney park.
    +1

Comment

• mycroft16
      I'm not really here
      • Aug 2006

Re: From what I understand, Disney can't build Marvel rides till 2050 at the theme pa

Originally posted by IndyFan1 View Post
      Mycroft, you can dig up as many Iger quotes as you want. As another poster mentioned, he's only talking about the vast 'untapped potential' of the Marvel catalog to justify the Marvel purchase to the investors.
      *sigh* Disney is already starting to tap that potential. It wasn't just empty words. Big Hero 6 is the start of them digging in and finding the lesser-known characters and using them. Yes, they are interested in the big name popular ones as well, but they also have uses for the less popular ones planned and if a couple of them stick, hey, that's even more franchise potential they have. Iger isn't stupid. You don't spend 4 billion dollars on something and not use it to the full amount possible. To suggest otherwise is naivety pure and simple.

They have gone with the sure bet. And it has and is and will continue to pay off. Now they are expanding on that sure bet to see what else they can find. It's like a gold mine that struck it big now exploring around the main vein to see if there is anything else out there. Or an oil field that starts exploratory drilling around the main well. Business 101 dictates that you do not just stick with the one sure bet. You diversify and grow and expand and find other things you can use. Otherwise you are dead and done when the sure bet dries up.

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, As I foretold you, were all spirits and Are melted into air, into thin air: And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, The cloud-capp'd towers, the gorgeous palaces, The solemn temples, the great globe itself, Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff As dreams are made on, and our little life Is rounded with a sleep. mycroft16 on Twitter

Comment

• disneylandreport
        MiceChatter
        • Jun 2012

How can there even be a consideration about whether or not Disney is interested in developing the main Marvel talent, when they just essentially sneezed out a billion dollars with the Avengers?

For some some great trip reports, features and reviews, please check out http://www.thedisneylandreport.com.

Comment

• Broadway Guru
          Embrace the kitsch!
          • Mar 2006

Originally posted by mycroft16 View Post
          They're coming. Sooner than you might like to think. 'Tis an inevitability. And it will work.
          I'm sure it will work. It will work in the same way that a McDonald's ODV stand in Frontierland worked. It will work in the same way cartoon fish in Tomorrowland work. It will work because Disney has spent the last 20 years downgrading the DL experience and lowering its customers' expectations.

DL customers have been carefully trained since about 1995 to accept the lands of DL as nothing more than pretty backdrops for a mishmash of demographically targeted franchise brand experiences based on current Disney product.
          Disneyland Historic Preservation Society
          Charter Member

Comment

• Spongeocto4
            Paper Mario Fanatic

• Jul 2011

Keep in mind everyone that the Disneyland resort has been selling merchandise of Marvel. What walks like duck, WILL quack like a duck. Meaning if there is Merchandise, then we should expect the franchise to be more prominet eventually.
            "...but life without cake is no life at all"
            -Lysithea von Ordelia, Fire Emblem: Three Houses

Disneyland: 1997, 1998, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2007, 2010, 2015, 2020, 2023
            WDW: 2006
            Universal Hollywood: 1998, 2007, 2023

Comment

• nathan detroit
              MiceChatter
              • Jun 2007

It would seem to me that many people (including a lot who have previously posted on this thread) have an issue with Marvel in the parks because of what has happened at Islands of Adventure in Orlando. There we have off-the-shelf coasters and rides that have a cursory nod to a marvel character ("let's paint it green and bingo! The Hulk!"). I know it is difficult to get rid of this image but does anyone here seriously think that is what Disney will do? Are the same people who are saying that Marvel does not belong in a Disney park also blogging that Star Tours and Indy should be ripped out?
              Yes, I am slightly nervous that this may be mishandled but mainly I have faith that it will be done well. It may be another story in some of the other parks (WDW and DLP to name names) but I truly believe that DL will introduce Marvel respectfully and sensitively. And by expanding its horizons, Disney can continue to survive and appeal to new and untapped audiences and guests. What is there to comlain about really?

---------- Post added 08-27-2012 at 12:08 PM ----------

Originally posted by zebbie View Post
              I would say count me in 100% for a few Marvel based attractions in DCA. I for one think that it would be a huge draw to the park for many of Disney's future fans. Further I do not think that it would be to far out of what park already holds. I imagine it could take over Redwood Creek Trail without too many whimpers. As long as it doesn't try to make Disney act like Six Flag's. Disney has always been better then that. I see it trying to bring a piece of Hollywood to the fans.

I am guessing you do not have young children. Do not underestimate the appeal of Redwood Creek (and the relief it offers weary parents).
              WDW - 1987 & 1991
              DLP - 1996, 2004, 2006 & 2007
              DLR - October 2011

Comment

• Infernoman
                Hot FIRE!
                • Apr 2011

Oh look it's another thread where it's all about "keeping disney parks only disney" while all logic that has been shown that supports the idea of Marvel coexisting with disney/pixar just get's ignored because some here don't like a radical change. Marvel is comin' whether we like it or not. Not saying to like it but moreso just get used to seeing it more and more. I don't know maybe we're all set in our ways on how we percieve what DIsney and the theme parks SHOULD be but I'm accepting what reality is going to be. Now can't we all just at least get along?

...As I see it

Comment

• lunarsongbird
                  Disney Magic is a Must
                  • Aug 2012

Originally posted by Meville View Post
                  Tomorrow land does require some saving, and who better than a few super heroes.
                  Agreed! :lol:

Comment

• calsig31
                    -
                    • Aug 2009

Originally posted by Chesire View Post
                    Besides Tomorrowland, Marvel doesn't really belong anywhere in Disneyland.
                    To add what has been mentioned by other posters, there are several places in the resort where it could currently fit. Black Panther could fit into Adventureland, Phantom Rider in Frontierland, Ant-Man in Tomorrowland. In addition, there are several California based characters that could fit nicely into CA Adventure, like the West Coast Avengers. Also, for Tomorrowland, Marvel had the Marvel 2099 line with futuristic versions of their characters.

Originally posted by DrFink View Post
                    The only idea I have liked so far in regards to the inclusion of Marvel into a Disney park is the replacement of Innovations with a Stark Expo. The ideas of Marvel themed rollercoasters and stuff is not appealing to me at all. People are just trying to turn Disneyland into a Six Flags or Universal Studios.
                    There is no reason that it would have to be coasters only. When Disneyland put in a pirates attraction, it wasn’t an empty coaster with a Jolly Roger slapped on the outside and pirate ship themed cars. It was an immersive dark ride experience with state of the art animatronics that transported riders through time back to the age of pirates. The same thing with the Haunted Mansion. Why couldn’t they do the same with Marvel? There are so many storylines in Marvel’s rich history that Disney could easily build a dark ride the likes of Pirates or Mansion with Marvel animatronics and themed environments.

Originally posted by flynnibus View Post
                    Until Uni is ready to be bought out of the deal.. Disney can't do much about it.
                    Not exactly. While the contract does seem one sided in Universal’s favor, it does not leave Disney without any teeth. There are sections in there as to the standard that Universal has put into upkeep of the Marvel area, and should they fall below that standard, they would be considered in breach. Also, they are not allowed to include anything non-Marvel in the Marvel area including walk-around characters. I would assume this could be taken to mean that there has to be land-specific merchandise as well. Of course, Disney would have to allow Marvel a reasonable amount of time to cure any such breaches but I would have to think that Disney is watching very closely for something like this as it would allow them to use Marvel properties in Florida should Universal be found in breach of contract.
                    "Greetings, Starfighter! You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Xur and the Ko-Dan Armada."

Comment

• Uncle Scrooge
                      New MiceChatter
                      • Jun 2011

Originally posted by nathan detroit View Post
                      It would seem to me that many people (including a lot who have previously posted on this thread) have an issue with Marvel in the parks because of what has happened at Islands of Adventure in Orlando. There we have off-the-shelf coasters and rides that have a cursory nod to a marvel character ("let's paint it green and bingo! The Hulk!"). I know it is difficult to get rid of this image but does anyone here seriously think that is what Disney will do? Are the same people who are saying that Marvel does not belong in a Disney park also blogging that Star Tours and Indy should be ripped out?
                      Yes, I am slightly nervous that this may be mishandled but mainly I have faith that it will be done well. It may be another story in some of the other parks (WDW and DLP to name names) but I truly believe that DL will introduce Marvel respectfully and sensitively. And by expanding its horizons, Disney can continue to survive and appeal to new and untapped audiences and guests. What is there to comlain about really?

---------- Post added 08-27-2012 at 12:08 PM ----------

I am guessing you do not have young children. Do not underestimate the appeal of Redwood Creek (and the relief it offers weary parents).

I agree. It is evident, with the DCA redo, that Disney will put Theme and Story at the forefront of every new attraction. They have raised the bar again and I don't believe they will throw up roller coasters, paint them, and call them good. Whatever they are planning, it will be top notch. It will be Disney.

Comment

• jsmith11618
                        Minion
                        • May 2010

Originally posted by Chesire View Post
                        I understand, but to the everyday guest, they're not well-known characters. Why bring in (to the ordinary guest) unknowns when Disney has even more characters that can go with the lands? Unless they go with an E-Ticket ride, I don't see them bringing in attendance.
                        With good marketing Disney can make them known, Nemo, Bug Life, Toy Story characters etc, were not known until they were marketed to the public.

Comment

• lazyboy97O
                          враг народа
                          • Mar 2005

See, that doesn't really hold up as they are starting to use the lesser known characters already with plans to create TV shows that are set in the Marvel universe but without any major Marvel characters as well (ABC). Disney is doing exactly what Bob Iger said they would. That quote wasn't just for Wall Street. It was a statement of plan that is now being executed alongside the major characters.
                          That is all based on still using what is now hot. The television series was all discussed as being an Avengers television show. Marvel has also clearly had a long term vision that is been followed, so I am not so quick to credit Disney with these plans.

Originally posted by calsig31 View Post
                          Not exactly. While the contract does seem one sided in Universal’s favor, it does not leave Disney without any teeth. There are sections in there as to the standard that Universal has put into upkeep of the Marvel area, and should they fall below that standard, they would be considered in breach. Also, they are not allowed to include anything non-Marvel in the Marvel area including walk-around characters. I would assume this could be taken to mean that there has to be land-specific merchandise as well. Of course, Disney would have to allow Marvel a reasonable amount of time to cure any such breaches but I would have to think that Disney is watching very closely for something like this as it would allow them to use Marvel properties in Florida should Universal be found in breach of contract.
                          Universal knows what they need to maintain and they do just that. Disney tried the upkeep route, and there is nothing to pursue. Universal spent a decade working with Marvel, to their approval, all of which establishes a precedent for what is acceptable. Disney has no real choices aside from a buy out.

Comment

• ohmyjustin
                            MiceChatter
                            • Jan 2012

I think some people forget that attracting the Marvel fanbase is something that can made attendance explode. Fans of the comics and fans of the traditional Disney films do not necessarily overlap and offer an untapped resource on the west coast. That is one of the reasons Disney would want to add them to the parks.

Comment

• mycroft16
                              I'm not really here
                              • Aug 2006

Originally posted by lazyboy97O View Post
                              That is all based on still using what is now hot. The television series was all discussed as being an Avengers television show.
                              "I hear that the connection to the Avengers franchise would be light as the project is expected to be set in the universe and feature some of its themes and feel but may not include any characters from Joss Whedon’s blockbuster." Marvel and ABC Teaming on Avengers-Themed Series? - ComingSoon.net
                              In terms of Avengers, they will almost certainly not be in it. May be mentioned, and events of the universe mentioned, but from what people are saying the show is about living in a world that has superheroes in it. Not about the actual superheroes themselves.

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, As I foretold you, were all spirits and Are melted into air, into thin air: And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, The cloud-capp'd towers, the gorgeous palaces, The solemn temples, the great globe itself, Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff As dreams are made on, and our little life Is rounded with a sleep. mycroft16 on Twitter

Comment

• lazyboy97O
                                враг народа
                                • Mar 2005

In terms of Avengers, they will almost certainly not be in it. May be mentioned, and events of the universe mentioned, but from what people are saying the show is about living in a world that has superheroes in it. Not about the actual superheroes themselves.
                                Yes, but the manner in which it broke through the news was as an Avengers television show. Disney put out the information that way for a reason, to tie the show to the success of The Avengers. "Marvel television show" is much less newsworthy than "Avengers television show."

Comment

• Wren
                                  Sorcerer Supreme Bean
                                  • Mar 2006

So, basicaly this boils down to yet another "Keep your Marvel out of my Disney!" vs "Marvel and Disney could work together!" thread?

I've voiced my thoughts many times on this, it can work, if done right. So much potential in Marvel, they have interseting characters that could fit any facet of Disneyland. Some not as unknown as you might think.
                                  There is no right or wrong in this debate. It is simply a matter of perspective.
                                  -Dr. Strange

Comment

• calsig31
                                    -
                                    • Aug 2009

Universal knows what they need to maintain and they do just that. Disney tried the upkeep route, and there is nothing to pursue. Universal spent a decade working with Marvel, to their approval, all of which establishes a precedent for what is acceptable. Disney has no real choices aside from a buy out.
                                    Not necessarily. It is not based on the standard with which Universal has held the Marvel area to in the past. Section III of the agreement specifically states:
                                    Each THE MARVEL UNIVERSE shall be operated and maintained in a first class manner consistent with the highest standards of the theme park industry and shall be deemed “open” only when operated in such manner (subject to temporary closures for force majeure events as described in the prior paragraph).
                                    Therefore, if the standards of the industry as a whole improve over the current status quo, and Universal does not make this area rise to meet the new standard, they are in violation.

Another scenario is that Universal may let the area slide which would allow Disney to have an action for breach. It seems unlikely now since the area is so well maintained, but one never knows when management may change and the new leadership is in favor of budget cuts and replacing benches with ODV carts, letting rides decay just so they can be replaced with inferior versions, or having effects lay in a dormant state of disrepair just to save the cost of repairing/replacing them.
                                    "Greetings, Starfighter! You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Xur and the Ko-Dan Armada."

Comment

• mycroft16
                                      I'm not really here
                                      • Aug 2006

Yes, but the manner in which it broke through the news was as an Avengers television show. Disney put out the information that way for a reason, to tie the show to the success of The Avengers. "Marvel television show" is much less newsworthy than "Avengers television show."
                                      Bit of a reach there. It doesn't matter how they announced it. All that matters is what it is. And what it is is a show without super heroes in it. It is still not an Avengers tv show regardless of how they announce it.

Comment

• frollofan
                                        ********ter
                                        • Mar 2010

After the success of Carsland and Beuna Vista Street, I have faith that Disney can do something incredible with Marvel with the right budget and space. To those who hate the thought of Marvel being let into Disneyland, please just try whatever they throw at us, and if you don't like it, then you can avoid and critisize it as much as you want. All I'm saying is please don't prematurely judge it.

Comment

• DrFink
                                          The doctor is in
                                          • Aug 2012

If they are looking at potentially making a dark ride for Marvel I have no doubt it will be based off The Avengers. With that said, they should wait until Phase 2 is over because then there will be even more characters introduced.
                                          Merrily on our way to nowhere at all.

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                          Working...
                                          X