Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Question] Chatty employees at the shops in DCA?

While on a day trip for our 16th anniversary to DLR, we noticed that while we visited the shops in DCA on BVS, we kept seeing pairs or groups of employees chatting away and basically ignoring customers.

My wife was looking for a pair of sunglasses and was near a group of them - none of which asked if they could be of assistance - even with her looking in their direction, waiting for a break in their conversation.

She used to work at the park, and was pretty sure that wasnt standard OP, in fact once we crossed over into DLP, we found the exact opposite - any cast member that was having any conversation stopped, and asked if we needed anything as we just walked by.

Anyone else notice any of this?

Re: Chatty employees at the shops in DCA?

I've seen it in both parks. There's nothing wrong with engaging in conversation with a coworker when it is slow, provided that all the work is done (and in a retail shop, that is hardly ever as there is always an item to restock, a display to dress up, something to clean...etc), but as soon as a customer comes in, recess needs to stop, and the customer needs to be engaged.
    "Greetings, Starfighter! You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Xur and the Ko-Dan Armada."

Comment

Originally posted by calsig31 View Post
      I've seen it in both parks. There's nothing wrong with engaging in conversation with a coworker when it is slow, provided that all the work is done (and in a retail shop, that is hardly ever as there is always an item to restock, a display to dress up, something to clean...etc), but as soon as a customer comes in, recess needs to stop, and the customer needs to be engaged.
      That goes for anywhere not just the DLR in my opinion.
      BGood! It's not just my motto its my name!

Comment

Originally posted by mickdaddy View Post
        That goes for anywhere not just the DLR in my opinion.
        Very true.
        "Greetings, Starfighter! You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Xur and the Ko-Dan Armada."

Comment

Interestingly, upon reflection, I don't know that this has ever happened to me over hundreds of visits. I've never had to *ask* for help, ever.

For some some great trip reports, features and reviews, please check out http://www.thedisneylandreport.com.

Comment

I had that happen at Elias & Co last month with the added fun of one of the men in the group actually bumping into my kid and completely ignoring that it happened and continuing to walk and talk with the other employees.

I was pretty upset cause that is NOT the behavior I expect from a CM. I was standing there pretty dumbfounded and they were just a few feet away just talking. Ridiculous.

Comment

Well I never had that happened to me. Usually when I walk into a store I hope that no one comes up to me and asks to be of assistance. Yeah, I'm weird haha.

"So make the best of this test and don't ask why. It's not a question but a lesson learned in time."- Green Day
              "The harder you work, the luckier you get."- Billie Joe Armstrong
              "This is my rage. This is my love. This is my town. This is my city. This is my life."

Comment

Whenever there is a major resort expansion (like BVS, Cars Land, etc) the company has to hire a lot of people, sadly not all of them work out.

Presumably those CM's who worked the shops before the DCA entrance closed got moved to other locations and these are probably the new people.

Hoping this was an isolated incident.

Comment

Originally posted by sir clinksalot View Post
                  Whenever there is a major resort expansion (like BVS, Cars Land, etc) the company has to hire a lot of people, sadly not all of them work out.

Presumably those CM's who worked the shops before the DCA entrance closed got moved to other locations and these are probably the new people.

Hoping this was an isolated incident.
                  A very logical conclusion. Let's hope that's the case. We true believers like to hang our hat on Disney's personalised service. I'd hate to see them lose that image in the publics eye.
                  Last edited by disneylandreport; 08-28-2012, 03:37 PM.

For some some great trip reports, features and reviews, please check out http://www.thedisneylandreport.com.

Comment

Yes, we're very used to seeing this at regular retail locations - but this was a first at DL and we were very surprised to see it during a regular Sat.

Either way, it didnt spoil the trip, but I just thought it was odd.

Comment

Personally, I don't like it when I'm just looking around and I get asked if I need any assistance. If I need help, I'll ASK for it, thanks. Now if I do ask for help, and I get a rude, flippant, or uninterested response, then that's where there's a problem.

Comment

How old were the CMs? Just curious because I've noticed the younger generations seem more "me centric". On the phone, talking with friends, ignoring customers, etc. With age comes certain values and standards, but some kids have pretty good ones too. I just expect all people who take up the mantle of being a CM to already be at that level of maturity regardless the age.

Comment

Once again, these are not real disney complaints. Working a minimum wage, retail job is horrible. In this economy that is all that is available. The majority of these people are probably college graduates just working to pay rent. Be nice to them. They are doing there job and most likely if you felt they were rude it was a miscommunication.

#firstworldproblems

Comment

Originally posted by GlennAlexander View Post
                            They are doing there job and most likely if you felt they were rude it was a miscommunication.
                            Apparently they were not doing their job as the OP noted they were standing around socializing while there were customers in the store. They should have been assisting customers and leave the socialization for break time or after work.

Comment

Originally posted by calsig31 View Post
                              Apparently they were not doing their job as the OP noted they were standing around socializing while there were customers in the store. They should have been assisting customers and leave the socialization for break time or after work.
                              this. minimum wage or a million dollar annual salary, you're hired into the position being expected to perform the duties of the job. Do it or don't work.

Comment

Originally posted by Diznygrl View Post
                                Personally, I don't like it when I'm just looking around and I get asked if I need any assistance. If I need help, I'll ASK for it, thanks.
                                Wow no wonder some of them aren't so eager to help

Comment

Originally posted by GlennAlexander View Post
                                  The majority of these people are probably college graduates just working to pay rent. Be nice to them. They are doing there job and most likely if you felt they were rude it was a miscommunication.

#firstworldproblems
                                  Apparently you didn't read the OP's words.

The CM's weren't doing their job. And regardless of what the employees spend their paycheck on, rent or gumballs, it is not the customer's job to be nice to the employee. The employees need to do their jobs (they weren't) and be nice to the customer.

Comment

I also hate being bothered by employees when I'm at a store. It's just very awkward, like they're just talking to you to make sure your not stealing(I know almost every single retail company does this to prevent shrink). But I just get a little annoyed at the pestering, if I want help, I'll ask, if I'm just browsing, I don't need help. And some of the kiosk workers at malls or just swamp meets outdoor places are the worst! They call you from far away as if they wanna tell you something important but just want to sell you their crap!

Comment

Originally posted by NRubus View Post
                                      I also hate being bothered by employees when I'm at a store. It's just very awkward, like they're just talking to you to make sure your not stealing(I know almost every single retail company does this to prevent shrink). But I just get a little annoyed at the pestering, if I want help, I'll ask, if I'm just browsing, I don't need help. And some of the kiosk workers at malls or just swamp meets outdoor places are the worst! They call you from far away as if they wanna tell you something important but just want to sell you their crap!
                                      But if you needed help, you would prefer it was given and the employees weren't just standing around talking like in the present case, right?

Comment

Originally posted by NRubus View Post
                                        I was going to say at many stores you this is how you are trained to stop people from stealing....but at the same times when I worked retail many times I was bored and was asking hoping I could go something and help someone
                                        Happy Halloween!!!

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                        Working...
                                        X