This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Question] Matterhorn Question

I've read a lot about the Matterhorn ride being "painful" and very hard on your back. I am worried about letting my daughter ride it, but she is looking forward to riding it so much, I'd hate to tell her no. So this is a silly question, but are you allowed to bring your own cushion or "padding" onto the ride to sit on?? Would this even help? TIA!)

Re: Matterhorn Question

I don't know, but I don't see why not. As long as you can secure it (which you will once you sit directly on it) I can't imagine them telling you no.
    I've only ridden it once since it reopened and it wasn't a pleasant experience. I don't know why better shock absorbers couldn't have been placed on the vehicles. I'm sure it's supposed to give a realistic bobsled feel, but that's what the stage coaches were supposed to do in Frontierland when the park first opened. Those remained open for what? A year?
    Actually, if more people brought cushions and things when they were about to ride Matterhorn, maybe TDA would get the message? Of course, that'd mean another refurb, but it'd be worth it.
    My personal advice is to avoid riding in the very last seat.
    Oo-de-lally!

Comment

Originally posted by mooshka1 View Post
      I've read a lot about the Matterhorn ride being "painful" and very hard on your back. I am worried about letting my daughter ride it, but she is looking forward to riding it so much, I'd hate to tell her no. So this is a silly question, but are you allowed to bring your own cushion or "padding" onto the ride to sit on?? Would this even help? TIA!)
      You would definitely not be allowed to sit on a cushion, as that would mean you could potentially remove the cushion during the ride and have enough room to slip out of the safety belt.

Comment

I've ridden it 15-20 times since the refurb, little ones have no problem with it in my experience. It's the older heavier/ taller crowd that usually has problems with it. Idk if they would let you sit on an actual cushion, but I sit on my jacket all the time on rides and no one ever cares.
        Check out my Disney inspired creations.

https://picasaweb.google.com/110319393135337100862

Comment

Make sure that you sit all the way upright--at least in my experience, any slouching at all, even very slight, makes the ride noticeably less comfortable.

Comment

I've ridden the ride a couple of times since the new sleds were installed, and it didn't make much of a difference for me as far as the comfort of the ride. Although I don't worry so much about getting my teeth bashed in... lol

Comment

Originally posted by AliKzam View Post
              I'm sure it's supposed to give a realistic bobsled feel, but that's what the stage coaches were supposed to do in Frontierland when the park first opened. Those remained open for what? A year?
              This had more to do with the stagecoaches overturning when the horses got out of control than any kind of bumpiness. The coaches still operate at Knotts...

Comment

If you lean into the turns, I find that things really don't hurt. Actually, just sitting down and riding the ride isn't painful to me. I think your daughter might be totally fine. It's usually the adults that have the issues, I find.

Comment

I just rode it on Monday and the seating was fine and i am a big guy at 6 foot one. Who comes up with this stuff?

Comment

Am I the only one that loved the old bobsleds because of how much you'd get bounced around? My wife and I would each sit in our own seat (the seats were meant to fit two people, if you remember,) and the challenge was to not hold on to any of the hand rails or brace yourself in any way. We'd get tossed around inside our seats (safety belts were worn at all times,) and it was a blast!

Comment

Originally posted by webg33k View Post
                      Am I the only one that loved the old bobsleds because of how much you'd get bounced around? My wife and I would each sit in our own seat (the seats were meant to fit two people, if you remember,) and the challenge was to not hold on to any of the hand rails or brace yourself in any way. We'd get tossed around inside our seats (safety belts were worn at all times,) and it was a blast!
                      I did the same thing!!!! I also don't hold on or put my feet down during Star Tours....makes the ride a challenge as well as super fun!
                      sigpic

Keeper of the Dynamite Goat on RCMC

Comment

No way would you be allowed to bring your own cushion. You could sit on a jacket/sweatshirt but they would never chance a cushion coming loose compromising your own safety belt as well as risking being thrown onto the track for other sleds.

Comment

If you're worried, ride the Fantasyland side (you can request it even if they're directing you one way or the other). Even the very back seat is okay on that side and it gets quite zippy in the evening. On either side, the middle seat of each car is fairly smooth (rows 2 and 5), not being directly over wheels. For smaller people there won't be an issue with the varying amount/location of leg and foot room.

Comment

I think people just forgot how unconfrontable the sleds were before. I don't think the seats are any more uncomfrontable than before. I was really hoping they were going to smooth it out but they didn't.

Comment

Originally posted by disneychrista View Post
                              I think people just forgot how unconfrontable the sleds were before. I don't think the seats are any more uncomfrontable than before. I was really hoping they were going to smooth it out but they didn't.
                              True that it was always somewhat bumpy, but I think that with regard to the seats, I do find them to be very different and more uncomfortable. Which goes to prove that it's sort of a subjective thing I guess. Some are finding them fine; others aren't.
                              I went to the park a couple of weeks ago with a friend with whom I worked Matterhorn back in the 80s and it was her first time riding it with the new sleds.
                              She concurred (with me) that it felt very different, and she found the seats much more awkward and uncomfortable.
                              I will say though that on that particular day, the CM gave me a certain row and seat (because of my height) that she said she thought would be more comfortable for me. I can't remember which seat it was, but it was way better than the one I got the first (and only) time I had ridden it since the new sleds went on line. It had a little bit more of a defined seat where you didn't feel like you were sitting so much on the floor. Can't remember which row it was though.

Comment

I don't really see the problem with taking a cushion to sit on. If anything, you might be more snug in the seat with the seatbelt on. It wouldn't hurt to ask a CM next time you're in line.

The old sleds were a bit more comortable all-around, whether your sat alone or with a partner. However, I don't find the new ones to be too uncomfortable. I've only ridden the new sleds once (in the very front seat). I think they're a bit smoother on the track, and I don't mind sitting nearer to the bottom of the sled, but one thing that is awkward is how the handles are situated farther back. That makes it harder to grab onto them comfortably. Of course, I'm a bit on the shorter side, so the changes should bother me less from what I understand.

Comment

The Matterhorn doesn't toss you around, It's very bumpy but that's about it.

As far as I know Screaming is more of a pain, Having my ears get hit around by the harness.

Comment

I'm 6'3 and most of the cast members knew I am a tall guy, so they always have me sit at the last row of the bobsleds. Mostly row number six. Although, I didn't felt pain during the ride, but it was really rough and bumpy. Much bumpier than Indy.

I rode it at least twice and I certainly did felt back pains once I got home.

It's not that bad, really. Though I wish the new vehicles still have padding or a cushion.

Walt Disney's Original Magic Kingdom!
                                    Save
                                    Sav

Comment

Originally posted by mooshka1 View Post

Comment

Having been a fav ride of mine for the last say 37 years, I can comfortably say I knew the ride well. The revamp is no where near the sitting comfort level at least in the front of each car! At 5'7" in the front my legs were jammed up against the front edge and crossing them did not improve that much. I miss the bit of room the last cars had. It allowed you to steel yourself more effectively for the jouncing you get on the ride. I have loved that feeling forever. But it is considerably less fun when the legs take a beating on the edge. The hubby says the back seat were he sat did not bang his knees as much (he is just under 6 ft) although he was banged into the back of the seat quite a bit. And both of us wish there was even a tad more padding on the bottom of the seat. The 6 year old in the middle seat loved it (however she refuses to ride in the front hence why good old Mom is in the front.)

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                        Working...
                                        X