This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Fun] Vinylmation - I don't get it.

What is the draw with vinylmation? Am I missing it? Are they kind of like beanie babies? But it doesn't appear you can cuddle with them....

Click image for larger version

Name:	imagesCAL15Z48.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	9.8 KB
ID:	7369661

Or are they more like figurine like trading cards? Do people carry bags of them around the park to trade?

ETA: Also- I hope no one finds that meme offensive. I think it's pretty darn funny. It's just a joke.

Re: Vinylmation - I don't get it.

Don't get it either. But I don't worry much about it, either. People like it. I'm cool with that. I'm not their big target customer, anyway. I don't buy much in the way of merchandise, just a shirt now and then when something catches my attention, and I always eat in the parks, but that's about it.
    I pledge allegiance to the Earth, one planet, many gods, and to the universe in which she spins.

Comment

The Vinylmations are basically just plastic figures that they will have a certain artist do, or they will do a set based on an attraction or movie (ie: Star Wars, Alice in Wonderland, Disneyland Railroad, etc). There are rarer versions of certain figures and often collectors will trade and so on and so forth.

There is really nothing to "get" it's pretty much like anything else as far as collecting goes.

Here is the Wikipedia page for them that can give you a little more info:

Disney Vinylmation - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

As well as a fan-site where you can see a little more of what they are about:

VinylNation.net – The Original Vinylmation Resource!

Comment

Originally posted by alphabassetgrrl View Post
        Don't get it either. But I don't worry much about it, either. People like it. I'm cool with that. I'm not their big target customer, anyway. I don't buy much in the way of merchandise, just a shirt now and then when something catches my attention, and I always eat in the parks, but that's about it.
        i am with you on that one!! i just don't get it either.. but then again some people don't get pin collecting.. so i guess to each is their own! i always eat in the park too! some people don't get why i do that..LOL
        Last edited by Poisonedapples; 08-31-2012, 09:05 PM.

Comment

They're like the Pins. Neither pins nor vinylmation appeal to me at all. They appeal to a certain group of people who like them and some like them so much they want to collect them. I'm sure we all have things we take an interest in and a lot of our own friends/family don't "get it" and that's fine. They have their interests and I have mine and it's a happy coincidence when some of our interests overlap.

"How do I depreciate this rock?"

Comment

I don't get those or the pin trading either. As a stock holder, I think they are great because people spend a stupid amount of money on them. I was in the elevator at Paradise Pier Hotel one evening with a mom and her daughter who had a bunch of pins on their clothes. She said they spent their daily limit of $800.00 on pins in the first few hours and were going to do it again tomorrow. $800 on Pins!!! WTF???
            Life is far too short for bland food!

Flickr page: www.flickr.com/ringoffirehotsauce
            You Tube: www.youtube.com/ringoffireguy
            Facebook: http://profile.to/michaelgreening/
            Twitter: http://twitter.com/RingofFire1
            Personal website: www.mikeanddianes.com

Comment

Originally posted by Hot Sauce 1 View Post
              I don't get those or the pin trading either. As a stock holder, I think they are great because people spend a stupid amount of money on them. I was in the elevator at Paradise Pier Hotel one evening with a mom and her daughter who had a bunch of pins on their clothes. She said they spent their daily limit of $800.00 on pins in the first few hours and were going to do it again tomorrow. $800 on Pins!!! WTF???
              Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat?!!! Before, I didn't get it. Now, I really don't get it.

Comment

Originally posted by Hot Sauce 1 View Post

Woooooaaaaaa....I really like the pins but the MOST I will spend per trip on pins (about 4-6 times a year) is like 40 bucks....and that's if I'm feeling REALLY generous towards myself...usually I get two or three per time....I'm not so much into trading because since I buy so few of them, compared to others, I only buy the ones I really like so why wouldn't I want to keep them?
                sigpic

Keeper of the Dynamite Goat on RCMC

Comment

I like them because it's something I can add onto each time I go to Disneyland.

If I had a good memory meeting one of the characters on that certain trip, I'll try and trade for that character's Vinylmation.

On my school trip to Disneyland, me and my group had an inside joke about Woody, so I bought a Woody Vinylmation when I got back.

Also, if they're not selling a set that contains one of the characters, I'll try and trade for one at the park, which is ALWAYS fun.

They're basically memories for me.
                  Fear of the unknown.

They are afraid of new ideas.

You know, to me, the most beautiful things in all the universe, are the most mysterious.

Comment

Originally posted by MarenBoBarren View Post
                    Woooooaaaaaa....I really like the pins but the MOST I will spend per trip on pins (about 4-6 times a year) is like 40 bucks....and that's if I'm feeling REALLY generous towards myself...usually I get two or three per time....I'm not so much into trading because since I buy so few of them, compared to others, I only buy the ones I really like so why wouldn't I want to keep them?
                    I feel exactly the same way! I have a very, very few pins that I LOVE but I bought them because I WANTED them. No way would I trade them away!!!
                    I wish I had a cool signature to insert here, but I don't.

Comment

Glad to have seen this post. Awhile ago I read all the wiki pages on Vinylmation, but I still don't get it.

I've thought about getting some pins, not really for trading though, just meaningful ones to keep.

Comment

I just like seeing which Disney property will show up next on these things. I don't collect them, but I do like browsing.
                        My GF doesn't "get it" either, but it's a matter of being interested or not. Some MiceChatters like going to the Princess greets. I don't get that either. Different strokes, ya-da-ya-da.
                        "The old man's gonna knock on the sky. Listen to the sound."

AP'er since 2004. Yup.....I'm one of THEM.

Comment

Memories- I can see that.
                          I pledge allegiance to the Earth, one planet, many gods, and to the universe in which she spins.

Comment

It's not really a thing to "get." You just like them or you don't. And if you like them, you buy/trade for them. I don't get the not getting thing.

Comment

There is not much to get you just collect them. They are created by different artists. Either you like the way they look or not. I collect pins because it;s fun and a great way to meet other Disney fans with the same interests. I know some people think it's dumb but I always say to each their own
                              These are some of my favorite TRs I have posted

DL 55th BDAY trip report
                              My company had a special night at the park
                              WdW trip report with WWoHP
                              NYE 2011 trip report
                              Mice Chat 7th anniversary
                              Leap year 24 hour report
                              New DCA trip report
                              NYE 2012
                              HKDL trip report

Comment

I have half a dozen pins, only because I like what they are of. I use them on hats, my photojournalist vest, even as tie tacks. I sort of get it. However- Vinylmation, Duffy, etc. - not so much. I understand collecting memories though. I just do it through photographs.

sigpic

I am Sambo, and I endorse this signature.

Comment

I don't get it either. I have like 5 Nightmare Before Christmas Vinylmation figurines but that's just because I collect Nightmare stuff.
                                  Merrily on our way to nowhere at all.

Comment

I collect them, but I don't consider myself to be a fanatic. I keep the ones I like and give away or trade the ones I don't.

I would get one each day I visited the park. I waited 6 months before I could go to Disneyland to get my first. now that they are available at the Disney Stores, I may get on average one or two a month.

I have noticed that the quality of the art has gone down. it used to be that each set would have one, two or three that I would like to have, now there have been several sets that didn't have anything I wanted.

Comment

I bought the DCA Ariel Vinylmation and a Grape Soda pin because they're relating to some of my favorite Disney/Pixar things. Like DrFink said it's just what you collect. I bought Alice Vinylmations because I love Alice in Wonderland. It doesn't matter that they are vinylmations but instead what they are representing in most cases.

Comment

I don't get it either, but there are many in my circle of friends that don't get my fascination with Disney. We all have interests that don't necessarily grab the interest of others. To each his own...

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                        Working...
                                        X