Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I love Disney and Marvel but...

Collapse

Get Away Today

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • [Other] I love Disney and Marvel but...

    I don't want a whole Marvel themed park. I'm 25 and I love Marvel and the whole Marvel universe, and I know Disney would do it tastefully, but Marvel just isn't Disney. They are two completely separate entities as far as I'm concerned and Marvel is just missing that "magic" that Disney is all about to me. A ride? I can deal with that. But not a whole theme park. It something Universal would do, not Disney..

    If they wanted another land, they should have saved Cars Land plans and created something like a Pixar theme park.
    Last edited by Nikefutbolero; 09-02-2012, 10:21 PM.

  • #2
    Re: I love Disney and Marvel but...

    I tend to agree. However, I think our opinions are in the minority.
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...oto-heavy.html
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ip-report.html
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...oto-heavy.html
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...oto-heavy.html
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...something.html

    No matter where you go, there you are.

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: I love Disney and Marvel but...

      I agree with both of you but I still think a Pixar park could do very well on its own. There are plenty of movies that can still be worked from as well as upcoming ones. The park will be open well after some of the upcoming ones are out anyway.

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: I love Disney and Marvel but...

        This will seem like a bit of a contradiction, considering my statement about the Marvel park, but I don't like the idea of "segregating" the different aspects of the Disney into their own parks, like a Pixar park, and so on. I'd like to think of just one company. However, I don't know how to account for the fact that I just feel Marvel is "wrong" as a Disney property. I realize that's just an emotional response, but it's how I feel.
        http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...oto-heavy.html
        http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ip-report.html
        http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...oto-heavy.html
        http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...oto-heavy.html
        http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...something.html

        No matter where you go, there you are.

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: I love Disney and Marvel but...

          I think a lot of it has to do with the darker nature of comics compared to Disney movies. It just doesn't mesh well.

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: I love Disney and Marvel but...

            Originally posted by sbk1234 View Post
            This will seem like a bit of a contradiction, considering my statement about the Marvel park, but I don't like the idea of "segregating" the different aspects of the Disney into their own parks, like a Pixar park, and so on. I'd like to think of just one company. However, I don't know how to account for the fact that I just feel Marvel is "wrong" as a Disney property. I realize that's just an emotional response, but it's how I feel.
            No I mean it makes sense to me. I would like a park where both could be in harmony but I feel like sometimes Pixar rides in the park get criticism. I think that goes more to fitting the themes of the lands though (Nemo, Monsters, and Buzz specifically). I just wonder what could possibly fill a third gate. I don't like the idea of an entire Marvel park all that much, a land? That would be wonderful...but the whole thing definitely wouldn't draw me over there.

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: I love Disney and Marvel but...

              Originally posted by Nikefutbolero View Post
              I don't want a whole Marvel themed park. I'm 25 and I love Marvel and the whole Marvel universe, and I know Disney would do it tastefully, but Marvel just isn't Disney. They are two completely separate entities as far as I'm concerned and Marvel is just missing that "magic" that Disney is all about to me. A ride? I can deal with that. But not a whole theme park. It something Universal would do, not Disney..

              If they wanted another land, they should have saved Cars Land plans and created something like a Pixar theme park.
              I don't see the reasoning here. You say Disney and Marvel are two separate entities, and yet they should not have separate parks? That there should be a Marvel ride in DL? To me, mixing disparate brands into a thematic mishmash is, to use your phrase, "something Universal would do."
              Disneyland Historic Preservation Society
              Charter Member

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: I love Disney and Marvel but...

                Originally posted by Broadway Guru View Post
                I don't see the reasoning here. You say Disney and Marvel are two separate entities, and yet they should not have separate parks? That there should be a Marvel ride in DL? To me, mixing disparate brands into a thematic mishmash is, to use your phrase, "something Universal would do."
                If Marvel is to have it's own theme park, it should be disconnected from Disney. It should not be branded as a Disney-Marvel theme parks because Marvel doesn't mesh with what Disney is about.

                If Disney MUST have something Marvel related in a park, I would much rather have a ride like Indiana Jones or Star Tours. Not a whole theme park with Disney branding.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: I love Disney and Marvel but...

                  Listen, if Disney announced today they would be opening a Star Wars ride (with it being Disney's first one), I'd be upset. But seeing how they transformed the world of Star Wars to fit in Disneyland, is amazing to me; that's why I'm being open minded about Marvel, whether they create a whole new park, or a few rides in the parks, I'm sure Disney will make it just as magical as anything else in the park.
                  Fear of the unknown.

                  They are afraid of new ideas.


                  You know, to me, the most beautiful things in all the universe, are the most mysterious.










                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: I love Disney and Marvel but...

                    Honestly, with a whole Marvel park, I think the whole thing would be too one-dimensional, just one tone throughout the entire park. That's what's great about theme parks in general, there's different tones and experiences all over the place.
                    - Walt Disney

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: I love Disney and Marvel but...

                      I've been thinking about this a bit. I'm a big Disney fan (more vintage Disney than contemporary to be honest), but I'm not a fan of Marvel. I don't hate Marvel though. I've seen most of the movies and read some of the comics in my younger days, but I would never go out of my way for anything Marvel-related. If Disney designed and opened a Marvel park, I highly doubt I would ever step foot into it. I have no doubt that it would be well-built. However, I am only able to make a trip out to the DLR once every two or three years. Hence, my time at the DLR is a very precious commodity. With the time I could spend at the Marvel park, I would much rather spend it riding POC or HM a few more times. It's a matter of priorities I guess. With that said, if Disney would like to get me and other like-minded people into that proposed park, do not limit it to the Marvel stuff. I would base the park more off of a heros and villains theme. Not only could Disney take advantage of their Marvel franchise, but they could also make use of some of their more iconic properties. Why not a Carl Barks/Ducktales inspired attraction? An attraction with the likes of Uncle Scrooge, Donald Duck, the three nephews (Huey, Dewey, and Louie), Magica de Spell, and the Beagle Boys would definitely gain my interest. How about a Super Goof or Darkwing Duck attraction? How about an attraction based upon 101 Dalmatians and Cruella de Vil? My point is that Disney could be limiting themselves if they limit this proposed third park to simply Marvel.
                      As for building a Marvel attraction within Disneyland, I would be opposed to it because I really do not see a Marvel attraction fitting in with the rest of the park. With real estate so precious in the park, I would rather see it used for something Disney related. Perhaps this is a minority opinion, but I do not consider Marvel to be Disney. Yes, I know that Disney owns Marvel, but ownership doesn't necessarily make it "Disney." Then again, I have a hard time accepting much of what the modern Disney corporation has become. I think I would rather see a Marvel attraction before a High School Musical attraction. LOL

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: I love Disney and Marvel but...

                        Originally posted by Nikefutbolero View Post
                        Marvel just isn't Disney.
                        I bet I can make a 4.24 billion dollar argument that it is Disney...

                        Originally posted by Nikefutbolero View Post
                        I think a lot of it has to do with the darker nature of comics compared to Disney movies. It just doesn't mesh well.
                        I can point out tons of darkness in Disney movies.

                        Originally posted by Nikefutbolero View Post
                        Marvel doesn't mesh with what Disney is about.
                        Aren't most Disney movies about good triumphing over evil? That is the core of the super hero genre as well.
                        "Greetings, Starfighter! You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Xur and the Ko-Dan Armada."

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: I love Disney and Marvel but...

                          Originally posted by Buster Keaton View Post
                          I've been thinking about this a bit. I'm a big Disney fan (more vintage Disney than contemporary to be honest), but I'm not a fan of Marvel. I don't hate Marvel though. I've seen most of the movies and read some of the comics in my younger days, but I would never go out of my way for anything Marvel-related. If Disney designed and opened a Marvel park, I highly doubt I would ever step foot into it. I have no doubt that it would be well-built. However, I am only able to make a trip out to the DLR once every two or three years. Hence, my time at the DLR is a very precious commodity. With the time I could spend at the Marvel park, I would much rather spend it riding POC or HM a few more times. It's a matter of priorities I guess. With that said, if Disney would like to get me and other like-minded people into that proposed park, do not limit it to the Marvel stuff. I would base the park more off of a heros and villains theme. Not only could Disney take advantage of their Marvel franchise, but they could also make use of some of their more iconic properties. Why not a Carl Barks/Ducktales inspired attraction? An attraction with the likes of Uncle Scrooge, Donald Duck, the three nephews (Huey, Dewey, and Louie), Magica de Spell, and the Beagle Boys would definitely gain my interest. How about a Super Goof or Darkwing Duck attraction? How about an attraction based upon 101 Dalmatians and Cruella de Vil? My point is that Disney could be limiting themselves if they limit this proposed third park to simply Marvel.
                          As for building a Marvel attraction within Disneyland, I would be opposed to it because I really do not see a Marvel attraction fitting in with the rest of the park. With real estate so precious in the park, I would rather see it used for something Disney related. Perhaps this is a minority opinion, but I do not consider Marvel to be Disney. Yes, I know that Disney owns Marvel, but ownership doesn't necessarily make it "Disney." Then again, I have a hard time accepting much of what the modern Disney corporation has become. I think I would rather see a Marvel attraction before a High School Musical attraction. LOL
                          All well put.
                          http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...oto-heavy.html
                          http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ip-report.html
                          http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...oto-heavy.html
                          http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...oto-heavy.html
                          http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...something.html

                          No matter where you go, there you are.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Re: I love Disney and Marvel but...

                            AyI've been saying this for a long time. Marvel should get the same treatment as The Muppets, Twilight Zone, Indiana Jones, star wars, and other licensed and bought properties and should not be separated. Don't mean to beat a dead horse, but the Indiana Jones franchise included Nazis, sacrifice faces melting and exploding, but obviously these elements were avoided in IJA. The same can be done with Marvel. Honestly it kind of surprised me how most disney fans, who don't even like lands being based of one franchise, would rather have a whole marvel theme park, than just one or two attractions at DLR.

                            http://www.youtube.com/user/ridesandstuff

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Re: I love Disney and Marvel but...

                              ^^^I think that's more desperation just to keep it out of Disneyland "proper."
                              http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...oto-heavy.html
                              http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ip-report.html
                              http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...oto-heavy.html
                              http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...oto-heavy.html
                              http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...something.html

                              No matter where you go, there you are.

                              Comment


                              • #16
                                Re: I love Disney and Marvel but...

                                I think if some of you searched out the concept art for the marvel park that was planned for Dubai, you might have a different opinion. incredible jungles, awe inspiring city scenes, it has it all. It is probably more dramatically themed than either DLR parks. i think Disney would go this route with it. Also, i dont think people realy appreciate the fact that a third gate couldnt just be a differently themed park so it could have different Disney style lands.
                                the third gate would have to be a dramitcally different concept, not just different lands, or a third gate for Anaheim would be completely unnecessary.
                                Any third gate would have to draw thousands of destination vacationers to Anaheim instead of WDW and Marvel, as with Potter in USO, might be one of the only concepts to make this happen.

                                Comment


                                • #17
                                  Re: I love Disney and Marvel but...

                                  Originally posted by Chesire View Post
                                  Listen, if Disney announced today they would be opening a Star Wars ride (with it being Disney's first one), I'd be upset. But seeing how they transformed the world of Star Wars to fit in Disneyland, is amazing to me; that's why I'm being open minded about Marvel, whether they create a whole new park, or a few rides in the parks, I'm sure Disney will make it just as magical as anything else in the park.
                                  Same here. It helped that George Lucas was a Disney fan to begin with. I haven't heard of a person in the Marvel world about growing up liking Disney or having a great time visiting Disneyland when they were young.
                                  I am old. But still love Disneyland.

                                  Comment


                                  • #18
                                    Re: I love Disney and Marvel but...

                                    Disneyland is not some kind of magical place for the executives and decision makers of The Walt Disney Company. Disneyland is not some sort of sacred cow just because the company founder built the park. It is a business enterprise and if there is an opportunity to increase business profits by adding Marvel attractions to the existing parks or create a third gate, then it is going to happen - not a question of if - but when. The executives will leave it to the staff of imagineers and creative types to make the elements fit. Their interest is seeing the profits for the Parks and Resorts Division continue to rise. That is what they are paid (well) to do.

                                    I found this blog interesting that was just started by Disney. It is not the sugary sweet Disney Parks Blog meant for fans and guests - it is the blog for the Walt Disney Company and all their business brands that for me, puts "Disney" in perspective along with Pixar, Marvel, ESPN, and ABC as just another brand. Look at the featured posts on the right, first one that is on the page currently isn't about Fantasy Faire Village - it's ESPN extending their Major League Baseball deal for another 8 years.

                                    https://thewaltdisneycompany.com/blog
                                    Writing about all things Disney, a couple of paragraphs at a time

                                    http://disneylandtraveler.blogspot.com/

                                    75,000+ page views and counting.

                                    Comment


                                    • #19
                                      Re: I love Disney and Marvel but...

                                      Speaking as one who is not really a Marvel/comic book fan, my gut concern right away is that comic books are perceived as actually being semi adult-oriented in nature, focusing largely on violent themes, scantily-clad women (not really a personal complaint of mine ) and lots and lots of fighting. Also, I don't want to see Disneyland looking like Universal Studios, or any other theme park. Although non-DIsney properties such as Star Wars and Indiana Jones have been brought in to the park, and they do feature their share of violence and fighting (and scantily clad women), they were originally made to cater to a more family demigraphic. Star Wars was not then, nor now ever considered remotely graphic or realistic. As mentioned before, Indy did feature realistic fights, and Nazis, and guys being chopped up in rock choppers and stuff, but perhaps in its period setting, and its execution, it just seemed more on the edge of fantasy than realism.
                                      Is Marvel realistic then? No, I don't think a guy scaling walls and shooting webs, or a man whose anger turns him big and green, or a silver dude on a flying surfboard are realistic. I don't know. It's just that there's a connotation that there's an "adult" or perhaps un-family-friendly aspect to comicbooks that would come with Marvel. Unfair? Yes, most likely, since I know there are many, many facets to comics, and Marvel. For that matter, Disney has already delved quite successfully into superhero genre before with The Incredibles, and Sky High. (Even Condorman, although many choose to forget about that.)
                                      WHat does this mean? I don't know. Perhaps people like me really have to have a more open mind about this, and trust that Disney will really pick and choose what of Marvel makes it into the parks, and in what form.
                                      http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...oto-heavy.html
                                      http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ip-report.html
                                      http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...oto-heavy.html
                                      http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...oto-heavy.html
                                      http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...something.html

                                      No matter where you go, there you are.

                                      Comment


                                      • #20
                                        Re: I love Disney and Marvel but...

                                        Originally posted by planodisney View Post
                                        I think if some of you searched out the concept art for the marvel park that was planned for Dubai, you might have a different opinion. incredible jungles, awe inspiring city scenes, it has it all. It is probably more dramatically themed than either DLR parks. i think Disney would go this route with it. Also, i dont think people realy appreciate the fact that a third gate couldnt just be a differently themed park so it could have different Disney style lands.
                                        the third gate would have to be a dramitcally different concept, not just different lands, or a third gate for Anaheim would be completely unnecessary.
                                        Any third gate would have to draw thousands of destination vacationers to Anaheim instead of WDW and Marvel, as with Potter in USO, might be one of the only concepts to make this happen.
                                        I don't think anyone is denying that Disney would do a Marvel park well. Its just that when space in the DLR is so limited & so many classic Disney characters are under-utilized, it would be hard to see so much precious land go to an enterprise that isn't in its soul, 'Disney'.

                                        & while I agree that a third park would need to be drastically different, I don't quite understand your argument that it shouldn't hold 'Disney style' lands. It is a Disney resort, isn't it? They managed just fine at WDW to build parks with different concepts, I think they can do just fine (without Marvel) to build a new park here. If it absolutely must be franchise based, there is plenty of potential in the Disney/Pixar catalogue.

                                        Comment

                                        Get Away Today Footer

                                        Collapse
                                        Working...
                                        X