This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Question] Glow with the Show interference in Attractions

Do the Glow with the Show ears pick up a cue to switch off if a guest wears them into an attraction? I would hope so... Having glowing lights in the boat through Pirates would be very interfering to me.

Any info?

Re: Glow with the Show interference in Attractions

On POTC, a few feet before you reach the CM who assigns a row the ears shut off and don't turn back on until you return to unload. I saw this first hand at the F! GWTS event.

Comment

Oh GREAT! I hope all attractions are like this!

Comment

I don't know if they have it on space mountain yet, but my car had a few people with it on, and it lit up the entire mountain. Closest I'll ever get to riding it with the lights on, but better because the colors were constantly changing. I bet when it reopens from holiday change over, it'll have the projectors to turn off.

Comment

Originally posted by xsdesign View Post
          I don't know if they have it on space mountain yet, but my car had a few people with it on, and it lit up the entire mountain. Closest I'll ever get to riding it with the lights on, but better because the colors were constantly changing. I bet when it reopens from holiday change over, it'll have the projectors to turn off.
          I know that the hats are bright (I own one), but I didn't know that they are THAT bright! I'm also surprised that they didn't fly off!

Does anyone know if they deliberately installed something in POTC to turn off the hats?

Comment

Originally posted by traumwelt View Post
            Do the Glow with the Show ears pick up a cue to switch off if a guest wears them into an attraction? I would hope so... Having glowing lights in the boat through Pirates would be very interfering to me.

Any info?

Great question, I bet the answer is no, although it is a fantastic idea to have the attraction signal the hats to turn off when the attraction begins!!

I hope they implement this!

Comment

I don't think they will spend the money to put in IR transmitters through out the rides to keep the ears off. They haven't spent any money to keep Guests from using flash photography or using their cellphones on attractions. They don't do anything to keep people from putting kids on their shoulders during parades and fireworks. They haven't spent any money to keep strollers from clipping you in the heels from behind.

It's a shame that a certain level of common courtesy can not be expected from Guests and people are having to think about ways to enforce common courtesy.

Comment

Originally posted by traumwelt View Post

Any info?
                not only in interfering but annoying too

Comment

These ears will be done by the end of the year.... they aren't selling enough to the general public. It's mostly APs who wear the ears around the park.
                  "If you can dream it, you can do it" - Walt Disney

Comment

Originally posted by Roger55 View Post
                    They haven't spent any money to keep Guests from using flash photography or using their cellphones on attractions.
                    Technologically speaking, there isn't a lot they can do with either of these. With the ears, they can actually turn them off, and it doesn't require IR transmitters throughout the attraction for active suppression. Just at the start to turn them off and back on.

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, As I foretold you, were all spirits and Are melted into air, into thin air: And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, The cloud-capp'd towers, the gorgeous palaces, The solemn temples, the great globe itself, Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff As dreams are made on, and our little life Is rounded with a sleep. mycroft16 on Twitter

Comment

Originally posted by mycroft16 View Post
                      Technologically speaking, there isn't a lot they can do with either of these. With the ears, they can actually turn them off, and it doesn't require IR transmitters throughout the attraction for active suppression. Just at the start to turn them off and back on.
                      But what would prevent someone from turning them back on after the initial off signal if the entire area isn't getting an off signal? Unless of course the signal also disables the switch on the side of the ear...

Comment

Originally posted by Alyssa3467 View Post
                        But what would prevent someone from turning them back on after the initial off signal if the entire area isn't getting an off signal? Unless of course the signal also disables the switch on the side of the ear...
                        Exactly, turning the off would not prevent a power cycle that re-starts them. That is why I specifically said "throughout".

---------- Post added 09-04-2012 at 12:20 PM ----------

Originally posted by mycroft16 View Post
                        Technologically speaking, there isn't a lot they can do with either of these.
                        With out debate there are such things as cellphone surpressors.

http://electronics.howstuffworks.com...ne-jammer2.htm

Camera/cellphone flashes are another story.

Guess we will have to just leave things up to the Guests themselves. Oh well.
                        Last edited by Roger55; 09-04-2012, 12:29 PM. Reason: Add link to backup my statement...

Comment

Originally posted by xsdesign View Post
                          I hope one of these selfish, inconsiderate people who leave glowing ears on while on Space Mountain have the hat whip off their head during the ride. It would serve them right to be out the $25.
                          "Greetings, Starfighter! You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Xur and the Ko-Dan Armada."

Comment

Originally posted by Roger55 View Post
                            Camera/cellphone flashes are another story.

Guess we will have to just leave things up to the Guests themselves. Oh well.
                            Some quotes from last year's thread "No flash photography, please" ...

...Training the loading CM's to spot camera-toting guests and make eye contact with them while saying firmly "no flash photography" would help. An animated sign that graphically demonstrates "no flash photography" would help. In short, advertising the no-flash policy on every dark ride, and dealing directly with major offenders, would get the word around that when Disney says no flash photography on dark rides, they mean it. There's no operational, logistics or public relations excuse for Disney not to do it -- except that they're too cheap to invest the money.

...The policies of Disneyland should be published on the Web and in printed materials before guests even arrive on the premises. Guests arriving by car should get a complete notification while waiting for and while traveling aboard the trams. Signs should also be posted in the Outer Lobby. An announcement in several languages should be provided directing guests who do not speak English to obtain and to thoroughly read guidebooks (not guidemaps) in their respective tongues from Guest Relations.

...Upon encountering abuses and violations, Disneyland Hosts and Hostesses should remind guests of the policy and should report the offenders to Security so that the department can surveil them and take action if any further problems occur. That action should include confiscating the property and/or expelling the guest from the premises without refund.

As was said in that thread, proactively advertising the no-flash policy on every dark ride, and dealing directly with offenders, would get the word around that when Disney says no flash photography on dark rides, they mean it. The same with any light light-emitting device that interferes with other guests' enjoyment of the attraction.

There's no excuse for Disney not to do it -- except that they're too cheap to invest the money. God forbid that they lose the money spent by the rude customers who are kicked out of the park, or worse, have to spend money upgrading their pathetic excuse for the Disney University training department.
                            "Disneyland is often called a magic kingdom because
                            it combines fantasy and history, adventure and learning,
                            together with every variety of recreation and fun,
                            designed to appeal to everyone."

- Walt Disney

"Disneyland is all about turning movies into rides."
                            - Michael Eisner

"It's very symbiotic."
                            - Bob Chapek

Comment

In my experience at the AP F! Event our ears turned off automatically just prior to the boarding area but both ours and the boat behind us came on as soon as we entered the cannon sceen. I quickly turned them off but the boat behind left them on for the entire rest of the ride...
                              Follow me on Instagram: @disneylovingnurse :ap:

Comment

thanks for all of your responses. i am def. not a fan of this product. you already have to deal with talking, texting, cell phone conversations, flash pictures, and now a clown hat to disrupt the work of several years of an imagineering team. yikes.

it,s funny: people wait an hour in line and then TALK through the entire experience. hint: always ask for the LAST ROW (the guest voices are facing forwards and you rarely hear as much as you would if you were in front). and if there is a family or group in the queue in front of me that is talking at an unnecessarily loud volume and will not SHUT UP, i kindly say > oh, please, go right ahead < and enjoy the seat in the back of another car!

;-)

just saying...

Comment

Just an idea...I think it would be great if on SELECT rides, the GWTS ears lit up (interacted) with key scenes in a ride. For example in the heffalump and woozle room of Pooh, the ears would light up. Another ride where I think this could work would be the end of Alice in Wonderland where the candle on the cake explodes the ears could rapidly flash. I think key rides like Space Mountain, Indiana Jones, Pirates, HM, etc the ears should automatically turn off as they would be distracting to the ride.

Comment

Originally posted by notlemc View Post
                                    I think key rides like Space Mountain, Indiana Jones, Pirates, HM, etc the ears should automatically turn off as they would be distracting to the ride.
                                    Another idea would be to make the ears emit an electronic shock if someone doesn't turn them off on those rides.
                                    "Greetings, Starfighter! You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Xur and the Ko-Dan Armada."

Comment

At GWTS F!, I did notice that the Ears would not turn when boarding Pirates, but once in the tunnels, they came back on. =(
                                      Also, I've been told they are going through rides and making it so the Ears don't come on. That would be wonderful.

I never wear mine, except for special events. But I'll dust them off when they bring back and GWTS the Main Street Electrical Parade.

Comment

i also heard the transmitters shut them off for the haunted mansion...not sure if its accurate though
                                        My Name Is Margy and I am a mint julepaholic.
                                        Disneyland freak since my first trip when I turned 6 months old...september 1987!!
                                        "I do not like to repeat successes, I like to go on to other things."
                                        ~* Uncle Walt *~
                                        2014 gumball rally team: Skyway sweethearts

​Proud premium Annual Passholder since May 2nd, 2014

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                        Working...
                                        X